No announcement yet.

The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm very sad about that too, though I haven't watched any of these last Poirots - got them all recorded and am saving them up David Suchet's Poirot has been a stalwart pretty much my whole life. We used to watch them tucked up in my parents' bed as kids, so it feels like a real era coming to a close
    sigpic
    Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

David Suchet was the only actor that I felt really 'got' Poirot - he'll be on This Morning tomorrow talking about these last four episodes. And I have no doubt that I'll be surprised, as always, that he doesn't have a Belgian accent

Comment

*twirls out*
        sigpic

Comment

*hugs WooHoos*

First and hopefully last piece of bad news yesterday. An uncle of mine died. He survived the storm and the flooding, but he died due to the lack of medication in Leyte. Didn't know him well, but it's a blow to the family. It really is time for help and supplies to properly reach the area. *nods*
          Also heard some of the cousins are safe, so there's that as well Bit of good news, bad news going on there.
          Last edited by DutchIndeed; 14 November 2013, 12:10 AM.
          Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
          Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post
            *hugs WooHoos*

First and hopefully last piece of bad news yesterday. An uncle of mine died. He survived the storm and the flooding, but he died due to the lack of medication in Leyte. Didn't know him well, but it's a blow to the family. It really is time for help and supplies to properly reach the area. *nods*
            My condolences. I really don't know what to say. *hugs*
            sigpic
            Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
            Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

Originally posted by JadedWraith View Post
              My condolences. I really don't know what to say. *hugs*
              Thanks. *hugs back*
              It sounds a bit odd maybe, but with the size of my family in the area of Tacloban it was almost like we were all preparing for some bad news. Some of the aunts and uncles were sick already, so there always was a chance of them either not being able to evacute soon enough or not having the strength to survive the aftermath of the typhoon. So it's weird really. There's sadness and hope and happiness and worry all in a day.
              I don't really know what to say either. Don't want to bring people down, including myself. But I feel so incredibly fortunate to be where I am right now. We might all have our problems, but in he end, we're living a good life. I hate using the phrase 'we're blessed' 'cause I'm sure we're not, but hey...
              Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
              Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post
                Thanks. *hugs back*
                It sounds a bit odd maybe, but with the size of my family in the area of Tacloban it was almost like we were all preparing for some bad news. Some of the aunts and uncles were sick already, so there always was a chance of them either not being able to evacute soon enough or not having the strength to survive the aftermath of the typhoon. So it's weird really. There's sadness and hope and happiness and worry all in a day.
                I don't really know what to say either. Don't want to bring people down, including myself. But I feel so incredibly fortunate to be where I am right now. We might all have our problems, but in he end, we're living a good life. I hate using the phrase 'we're blessed' 'cause I'm sure we're not, but hey...
                We are blessed. We may have our issues but nothing as extreme as theirs.
                sigpic
                Beautiful signature and avatar by Yamiinsane. You're a mind reader!
                Aristides de Sousa Mendes

Comment

blessings take many forms - I am very thankful that I have what I have, even if it's not a lot, it's a whole lot better than those unfortunate folks who have literally lost everything. I'm sorry that your uncle passed away, but it is truly heartening that you've also received good news about other family members.

*huggles Nad*

*huggles all the WooHoos* (I count you guys as part of my blessings!)
                  sigpic

Comment

It's at times like this that we realise just how lucky or blessed we are.

So sorry about your uncle Nad Sadly, a lot more will continue to suffer until help can reach them. The sheer magnitude of this disaster means that the amount of aid needed takes time to mobilise and get where it needs to be. Huge amounts of money are being donated all over the world, and we have ships and medical staff on their way to join the rescue effort. All we, personally, can do is hope that they can get there in time to make a difference.

*huggles Nad*

Comment

So sorry to hear this (((Nad)))
                      sigpic
                      Big thanks to josi for avi and sig

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                        Thanks I do hope we get to see the rest of the pics from that photoshoot - pretty sure they're going to be Awesome!

I've just watched Curtain (Hercule Poirot's last case), and despite having read the book so already knowing the ending, I found myself feeling very sad I've read all of Agatha Christie's Poirot books, of which there were many, and I kinda felt that I knew him well. The end was very fitting, and very cleverly thought out and constructed, and David Suchet did the character justice. Still, sad to know there will be no more televised Poirot stories.
                        I also have read everyone of the Hercule Poirot series and then even read all the Ms. Marple as well plus a few other books she wrote. Been thinking about starting all over again since it has been about 10 years since I read them.

Nad - My condolences for the loss of your Uncle. I hope that is the last of the bad news you will receive. Money and supplies are pouring out of the US right now as well. Somehow, the pourest among us find the way to donate.....I can only hope that the wealthiest are as equally generous. I saw the devastation on TV and there is a lot of work to be done there now.
                        Last edited by llp; 15 November 2013, 12:31 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

I can beat that Laurie - all my Agatha Christie books have been up in the loft since I moved in, so I haven't read any for 25 years I think I have all 82 books that she wrote under her own name, plus a couple as Mary Westmacott I liked the Miss Marple books, but didn't think much of the tv versions - I don't think any of the actresses that played her got it quite right

Comment

Who is up for a Martinmas Advent Calendar this year? There aren't many of us around lately, so we'd probably all have to make several each. Let me know if you're interested

Here is last year's vid, just to get you in the mood

Edit: Uh! Does that look squished to you or is it just me?

Comment

I'd like to do a couple for the calendar. I just got my calendars back from the printer. I had them made for the family - complete with pre-printed birthdays and anniversaries of everyone so that no one has an excuse to forget!

I used art I'd made throughout the year
                              sigpic

Comment

Very nice

My 2013 calendar has everyone's birthdays too, along with a picture of them on the relevant day. The main pic for each month has....... um...... yes, you've guessed it - Martin And I got it free (from Photobox) when I bought my diary......... which has a different pic of Martin on each week

Hope he's not lurking - I'd hate to come across as slightly stalkerish

Comment

Working...
                                X