The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks

Saw a poster at the doc's offering vaccination against shingles to people aged 70 and 79. Thought it was odd, so asked the receptionist. She explained why it was and offered me a leaflet, so I said "That's ok, it doesn't apply to me - I'm only 60!"

Comment

*Flops into thread*

Hate it when Hubby has to work Saturdays! Ah well. At least it's money in the bank.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
        Thanks

Saw a poster at the doc's offering vaccination against shingles to people aged 70 and 79. Thought it was odd, so asked the receptionist. She explained why it was and offered me a leaflet, so I said "That's ok, it doesn't apply to me - I'm only 60!"
        Actually Jumble it applies to anyone who had the chicken pox and have turned 60. If you have had chicken pox then you automatically have the shingles virus in you. It can be domant forever or attack you at any time it wants but especially if you are 60+. My Grandmother had it and it was miserable. So I had the shot about 2 years ago. Just one and it should last me another 40+ years - and by then, not really sure I will care! But at age 60 your immune system starts to no longer be able to fight off the virus and that is when they suggest you get the shot in the US. Considering how bad the illness is and it can last for up to 30 days or more and come back again - I highly recommend you consider getting a Shingles shot!

Plus - now they are saying the Whooping cough is starting to come back. Apparently that is also not a lifetime shot. I think when they gave those shots to us as kids but they didn't expect us to live into our 80's+. If you are around kids - which you are - you need to get that vaccine as well.

See isn't getting older fun - we get childhood deseases! And they wonder why we act so young!
        sigpic

Comment

Not in this country it doesn't. They are currently only offering the vac to people aged 70 or 79 as of 1st September. The plan is to eventually vaccinate everyone from 70 to 79, but at present they don't have enough vaccine to do that

Comment

that sucks! Hell you can get shots at your doctor or a phamacist here in the US and they seem to have plenty of the vacine. Have no idea why you can't get it there.

BTW - just sent you a email via GW. Got a question for you!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
              that sucks! Hell you can get shots at your doctor or a phamacist here in the US and they seem to have plenty of the vaccine. Have no idea why you can't get it there.
              It's because in the US you pay for it, whereas here it's free and the NHS doesn't get enough money put in to cover the expense of creating the vaccine and distributing it

BTW - just sent you a email via GW. Got a question for you!
              Just answered - ignore the first pm, clicked the wrong button

Comment

Just had confirmation from the ebay seller that the stickers I want are safe to use on Woody (she said pretty much the same as Cags did, and also a friend I spoke to yesterday), so I've ordered them 36 assorted daisies heading Woody's way!

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                  Thanks

Actually Jumble it applies to anyone who had the chicken pox and have turned 60. If you have had chicken pox then you automatically have the shingles virus in you. It can be domant forever or attack you at any time it wants but especially if you are 60+. My Grandmother had it and it was miserable. So I had the shot about 2 years ago. Just one and it should last me another 40+ years - and by then, not really sure I will care! But at age 60 your immune system starts to no longer be able to fight off the virus and that is when they suggest you get the shot in the US. Considering how bad the illness is and it can last for up to 30 days or more and come back again - I highly recommend you consider getting a Shingles shot!

Plus - now they are saying the Whooping cough is starting to come back. Apparently that is also not a lifetime shot. I think when they gave those shots to us as kids but they didn't expect us to live into our 80's+. If you are around kids - which you are - you need to get that vaccine as well.

See isn't getting older fun - we get childhood deseases! And they wonder why we act so young!
                  I had shingles in my 30s. Got run down working full time and sandbagging in my spare time the year we had a big flood. Had it for 10 weeks. Even though i am only in my 50s I got the vaccine. Not 100 guarantee of protection but having lived through it once will do whatever I can to prevent a repeat of that.

Although we have medicare I paid for it. Not sure if it wasn't covered at all or just not covered because of my age.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                    I had shingles in my 30s. Got run down working full time and sandbagging in my spare time the year we had a big flood. Had it for 10 weeks. Even though i am only in my 50s I got the vaccine. Not 100 guarantee of protection but having lived through it once will do whatever I can to prevent a repeat of that.

Although we have medicare I paid for it. Not sure if it wasn't covered at all or just not covered because of my age.
                    Getting the shingles must have been miserable. I can now get all these shots covered by medicare which is very nice. But before, they would cost me about $25. And I totally understand why you didn't want it again. I am surprised you got it at such an early age.... you must have been really run down. However, the older you are the more your immune system is likely to not prevent shingles unless you get that booster shot. Jumble - I really highly recommend that if you have had chicken pox, you should see into getting the shot unless it is an outrageous cost. Shingles is nothing to joke about.
                    sigpic

Comment

Hello Woohoos

Just back from my quick trip to Germany. A lovely trip on the Rhine and a successful concert

Looking forward to seeing Woody all prettified at the next woohoomeet
                      sigpic
                      Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Glad you enjoyed your trip Josi

Laurie, it's not a question of how much it wood cost me to get the vaccine - they simply don't have enough to start selling it. What they have got will go (free) to 70 and 79 year olds, and after that they'll use it for the 71 - 78 yr olds. That's the way our health system works

Comment

FWIW Jumble I think it's basically the same vaccine as the chickenpox one and you can get it privately in a small number of places but it's a ridiculous amount; about £175 is the cheapest I've seen. I was looking recently because Ben hadn't had chickenpox and I was seriously thinking of paying out for a vaccine to prevent him the misery of getting it in his teens as I did. As it turned out, he got them earlier this year - very mildly - so no need.

To be honest, as nasty as shingles is, it's more uncomfortable and painful than actually dangerous in any way. I imagine the reasoning for vaccinating the elderly is more about how it might be detrimental to the overall health of a frail person with multiple health issues anyway than because of any direct issues with the virus.

Yay on getting the decals. Can't wait to see Woody sporting his new flower power look. I'd put some on The Bank Of Chrysler (aka the Woohoomobile) but he's far too serious a car to be going around with flowers stuck on his rump. And anyway, I've spent quite enough money on him this month!

Glad you had a great time Josi. Great reason to miss last night of the proms. Welcome home.

Right, early to bed for me. I have to get up for work in the morning.
                          sigpic

Comment

Cags said a dirty word! I'm tellin'!

that w word you used...
                            sigpic

Comment

Funny (strange) thing is - I got the chicken pox after traveling to England!
                              sigpic

Comment

Funny (strange) thing is - I got the chicken pox after traveling to England!
                                Ha ha, it's us filthy scummy limeys with our lack of vaccination programmes, patched up healthcare and bad teeth. We're to blame.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X