No announcement yet.

The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thank goodness for your mom's honesty and that SHE found it. I have little doubt that if she'd given it to the clerk to "take care of it" that would have been the last anyone ever saw of it. Poor old lady. Very foolish.
    sigpic

Comment

Now for the bad news. Turns out the woman that sold me this house knew there was a problem, hid it from me and I just discovered it. The sprinkler system which wasn't in use when I bought it, well, it has a broken pipe in the back of the house. With the warmer weather, they have turned on the automatic sprinklers. Yesterday, when I walked around the ouside of the house to see how it worked, I discovered this huge puddle. Every day for the last 4 days it has leaked out (heavily) leaving a large pool of water next to the house. And if I don't fix it, it will undermind the structure (foundation) of the house.... I had to get up at 5:30 am yesterday morning to see what was happening - and the water is pouring out everywhere back there. She had to know what was happening because when I asked a neighbor about it last night, he told me what was happening. So glad I found out now instead of letting the water build up under the house for weeks on end.

Now I have to let it dry out (along with my flowers and lawns) until I can get a plumber to take a look and fix it. This is going to cost me - how much I don't know yet - but it ain't gonna be cheap! This was not something I had planned on. I'm hoping it will cost less then $1000, but I fear it might be up to 4x's that amount. And if he finds structural damage - maybe more. That is going to take a huge hunk out of my budget (and savings) - a contingency I haven't planned on so early in my move. OUCH!
      sigpic

Comment

is there any way to recoup some of the money? either from the previous owner or from the inspector?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
          is there any way to recoup some of the money? either from the previous owner or from the inspector?
          At this point I don't know. I just wrote a letter to my former real estate agent to see what he might know about situations like this. If this only costs a few hundred, I might just "bite the bullet" and fix it myself. Probably not worth suing over. But if it ends up costing into the thousands - I'll going to have to find a more creative method to pay for it. Meanwhile, I guess I'll have to buy a hose and self sprinkle the lawn, flowers and plants myself. Not something I look forward to doing!

BYW - I haven't owned the place a year yet, so that might be in my advantage, but I'll have to act soon. I got the place in the middle of Sept.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
            Had a very lucky day = found a $5 bill on the ground as I was heading towards my car at the supermarket. Looked around and saw no one anywhere near me - so I kept it! Always nice to have "found" money.
            Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
            Yesterday's outside temp: 32C. In pool temp 29C. Although I have cooled it down today by adding the 2 inches of water my brothers and neighbours splashed out of it yesterday.
            Did not sleep well last night though, despite the fans.

I'm useless at finding money but my brother once found a £50 note and hubby once found a wallet with £800 in it. Unfortunately it was on the bus he was driving so he had to hand it in.
            Yesterday at our local Folk Festival someone found a wallet with $1,000.00 in it and turned it in. Bless 'em. 29C and sunny here, perfect for the Folk Festival.

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
            Originally posted by llp View Post
            At this point I don't know. I just wrote a letter to my former real estate agent to see what he might know about situations like this. If this only costs a few hundred, I might just "bite the bullet" and fix it myself. Probably not worth suing over. But if it ends up costing into the thousands - I'll going to have to find a more creative method to pay for it. Meanwhile, I guess I'll have to buy a hose and self sprinkle the lawn, flowers and plants myself. Not something I look forward to doing!

BYW - I haven't owned the place a year yet, so that might be in my advantage, but I'll have to act soon. I got the place in the middle of Sept.
            You need to check your purchase contract. Here our contracts state that the purchaser relies on their own inspection of the property so it is the purchaser's responsibility. Also, you need to check your contract with the inspector. Often they are filled with disclaimers. For example, they are not responsible for anything that they cannot visually inspect, like buried sprinkler pipes. Also, they may limit their liability to just a refund of the inspection fee.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
              Yesterday at our local Folk Festival someone found a wallet with $1,000.00 in it and turned it in. Bless 'em. 29C and sunny here, perfect for the Folk Festival.
              Whoa - someone is going to be missing that I hope.

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
              You need to check your purchase contract. Here our contracts state that the purchaser relies on their own inspection of the property so it is the purchaser's responsibility. Also, you need to check your contract with the inspector. Often they are filled with disclaimers. For example, they are not responsible for anything that they cannot visually inspect, like buried sprinkler pipes. Also, they may limit their liability to just a refund of the inspection fee.
              I did send an email off to my realtor in hopes he might have some knowledge about how this is handled. It's a state issue and I don't know Washington laws about such things.

I'm also hoping this only costs a few hundred to fix. If I have to deal with problems with the foundation - ouch. That could cost thousands and would wipe out my contingency money. Not to mention it would put a kabosh on any travel plans I might have over the next year or so!
              sigpic

Comment

*iz loving the hot weather*
                *iz also exhausted from playing with a demanding two year old all afternoon*
                sigpic
                Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Yesterday part of the M25 (Motorway) was closed for emergency repairs after the road surface became uneven due to the tarmac melting in the heat

I know the feeling

Comment

Schoolboys in Wales are going to school wearing skirts in protest against the 'no shorts' rule because they are too hot in trousers

Comment

good for them I say. When I went into secondary school we were not allowed to wear trousers, only skirts. We campaigned to be allowed to wear then and our headteacher said "Ok, if you wear shirts and ties as well, you can wear them" (thinking we'd back off). Unfortunately for him, the girls collectively said "ok then" and promptly put them on. They relaxed the ties rule later on; I think they did have to admit it was a daft rule.

I heard about the M25. I do have to giggle how our country cannot cope with a tiny bit of heat... or cold... or rain... or snow.

Currently watching Jeremy Kyle. I never watch this, never wanted to but just flipped the TV on and was obviously watching that channel last night. Oh my word, and I thought my family were all about the drama!
                      sigpic

Comment

My girls were allowed to wear trousers, AND they had to wear ties regardless of what was on their lower halves

Yep, we can only cope with mediocre weather To be fair though, until recently we haven't had such extremes of weather, so it's not really surprising that we can't cope.

The JK show is, for me, going way over the top and becoming more like Jerry Springer Seriously, if your family was that bad wood you want it broadcast on national tv?

Comment

Watching This Morning - Eamonn Holmes has just asked his guest "So, is the second coming as hard as the first one was?"

This on daytime tv?

The guy thinks he's Jesus, and that his girlfriend is Mary Magdalene

*waves to Dee* Stop lurking - come and talk to us! *hugs*

Comment

I'm officially mad....am painting the kitchen in this heat....well trying to cover up a horrible mistake with some paint I thought would look nice, but turned out to a) be shiny, b) too dark and c) smelt like sick..

Decided to splash out on a nice pale blue Delphinium colour from Laura Ashley...seeing as it's over 8 years since I painted and coincidentally joined Gateworld and the DJ Thunk Thread whilst going through my kitchen remodelling, I feel I've come Full Circle literally as Stargate and my Stargate Fandom life has continued as long as I've been using my kitchen!...

Chavvy blue is gone, Jeremy Kyle would have loved it! ....now cooling off with fan, iced water & fruit juice mixed...rest of walls are husband's job...

Deeds xx
                            sigpic
                            Thanks to slizzie1986 for signature
                            MSOL - Official Website of Michael Shanks

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                              Watching This Morning - Eamonn Holmes has just asked his guest "So, is the second coming as hard as the first one was?"
                              In my experience it's normally harder work.

Originally posted by discodiva View Post
                              I'm officially mad....am painting the kitchen in this heat....well trying to cover up a horrible mistake with some paint I thought would look nice, but turned out to a) be shiny, b) too dark and c) smelt like sick..

In this heat!? But well done you. What's the new colour you've gone for?

My shower died last night. I think it's a sign that it's time to revamp my bathroom. The one room in the house that's remained largely untouched since I moved in.
                              sigpic

Comment

you can help dissipate paint odor by placing a saucer with some vanilla in it in the room overnight

My entire house (except for a couple of rooms) needs repainting. I'm not up to it anymore. It's been years since I painted last time and the walls need some new life. I'm going to have to hire a painter though.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X