The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Madness reigns View Post

Oh, just read that James Herbert the Author has died! One of my favourite writers, and he was wasn't even that old.
    Oh. I love his work.

Originally posted by Devilish Me View Post
    that sucks... I'm so afraid that George RR Martin will die...

I'm looking for something new to read, but I'm mostly interested in fantasy or sciFi if you or anyone can recommend something I'd be very grateful

Have you tried Game of Thro...ah!

I have the GOT series lined up to read after I've finished these ones I'm on. I veer between pulp fiction and the meaty stuff. Too much fantasy addles my brain!

Have you read The Talisman (Stephen King & Peter Straub). It's a fair few years old now but a good book.
    I can only really recommend old school sci fi like Brave New World, Flight Of The Horse or Age of the Pussyfoot (which is a great read for how accurate some of the stuff is in it. Oh and Tau Zero was a good book with some interesting theories. These are all really old books though but worth a read through if you want sci fi.

Fantasy wise, if you like the Tolkien stuff, try giving The Silmarillion a go (it gets easier after page 50 or so) and / or the Unfinished Tales for some of the history and mythology of Tolkien's world.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
      Oh. I love his work.

Have you tried Game of Thro...ah!

I have the GOT series lined up to read after I've finished these ones I'm on. I veer between pulp fiction and the meaty stuff. Too much fantasy addles my brain!
      Do not read Got series! It's evil. It's not finished. It makes you mad, so much that you want to find the author and try to do something to him, but you're too afraid because you'll never know the ending... I think that's the reason he hasn't finished it yet. He wouldn't have any leverage. And it's evil.

(half)Kidding. seriously great, but if I were you I'd wait for the final part and then start reading

Have you read The Talisman (Stephen King & Peter Straub). It's a fair few years old now but a good book.
      I can only really recommend old school sci fi like Brave New World, Flight Of The Horse or Age of the Pussyfoot (which is a great read for how accurate some of the stuff is in it. Oh and Tau Zero was a good book with some interesting theories. These are all really old books though but worth a read through if you want sci fi.
      Haven't read any of those! Awesome. Thank you!!! *hugs*
      I'm gonna make a list now!

Fantasy wise, if you like the Tolkien stuff, try giving The Silmarillion a go (it gets easier after page 50 or so) and / or the Unfinished Tales for some of the history and mythology of Tolkien's world.
      I've discovered that I can only watch Tolkien
      His books are way too complicated for me...
      sigpic
      Big thanks to josi for avi and sig

Comment

I love both Sci-Fi and Fantasy although I tend to lean towards the latter. My dad loves the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazney and I've tried and tried again to get into it but it has got to be one of the most complicated books ever written !

Dee have you tried any of the Dragonriders of Pern books by Anne Mcaffrey? Great read! I also love anything and everything by Tamora Pierce although her stuff is mostly for teens. Try Diana Wynne Jones' Howl's Moving Castle - a really beautiful story and a wonderful Studio Ghibli adaptation. She has a range of other novels as well which I'm planning on diving into soon. And just because Josi isn't here to do it herself - anything by Neil Gaiman is just an absolute joy to read

Comment

Hm. Makes my recent read of The Secret Garden sound pretty tame I remember watching it as a series on tv when I was very young, so when I saw I could get it free for my Kindle I couldn't resist. Glad I read it though, so much more depth in the book than I remember from the tv version

I read quite a variety - Stephen King (The Dark Tower was a heck of a marathon!), Dick Francis, any cop/murder/mystery I can get my hands on, Lee Child (read all his Jack Reacher books), Terry Pratchett's Discworld books, and yes, I admit it, I've read all of Alan Titchmarsh's novels

Comment

Hi everyone :-)

I read whatever is aroud, really. Luckily, both my brother (who is also my housemate) abd boyfriend are both obsessed with owning books (good ones too) so i always have something to read
            sigpic

Comment

I'm in the same situation about what I've already got on PB - waaaaay too much to move. So, I will keep using it for that stuff, but new gifs have been getting uploaded elsewhere since PB has been resizing them from tiny to infintesimal
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sarai View Post
                Dee have you tried any of the Dragonriders of Pern books by Anne Mcaffrey?

Doh, I was trying to think of them but couldn't remember the name. Yes, I'll second that.

And just because Josi isn't here to do it herself - anything by Neil Gaiman is just an absolute joy to read
                Doble Doh. *nods vigorously*

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                Terry Pratchett's Discworld books, and yes, I admit it, I've read all of Alan Titchmarsh's novels

I love Pratchett. And, er, Alan Titchmarsh writes novels? Well huh!

I just donwloaded a Kindle app on my phone. It's a bit small and squinty but I might give some of the freebies a go on it.

Originally posted by Bekki View Post

I read whatever is aroud, really. Luckily, both my brother (who is also my housemate) abd boyfriend are both obsessed with owning books (good ones too) so i always have something to read
                Owning books is NOT an obsession; it's just a way of living a wonderful, glorious, enriched life.

In my opinion anyway.

Never met a bookshop I could walk past without stopping, browsing for an hour and buying at least one thing from.
                While I will no doubt embrace the digital era, I still get a kind of indescribably pleasure out of rustling the pages, bending back the spine and using any old piece of coffee stained envelope as a bookmark. I doubt I'll ever truly stop buying the paper copies.
                sigpic

Comment

I have big news tooooo! *bounces* April 2 is a big day!
                  sigpic

Comment

sigpic

Comment

I recently read a half-dozen books by Todd McCaffrey (Anne's son) set in Pern. They were good. Kept true to Anne's vision - she advised him along the way.
                      sigpic

Comment

*waves to Bekki*

I love Pratchett. And, er, Alan Titchmarsh writes novels? Well huh!
                        Indeed he does, and very good ones too IMO He's done a couple about his childhood in Yorkshire which are highly amusing, plus several fictional novels. I find his style of writing and his subjects thoroughly amusing but also sensitive and emotional. 'Only Dad' and 'Rosie' I particularly liked.

I just donwloaded a Kindle app on my phone. It's a bit small and squinty but I might give some of the freebies a go on it.
                        If you like the classics and older books you can get most of them for free You should be able to enlarge the text to make it easier on the eyes

Owning books is NOT an obsession; it's just a way of living a wonderful, glorious, enriched life.

In my opinion anyway.
                        It is, but it's also very space-consuming - of which I have none left

Never met a bookshop I could walk past without stopping, browsing for an hour and buying at least one thing from.
                        While I will no doubt embrace the digital era, I still get a kind of indescribably pleasure out of rustling the pages, bending back the spine and using any old piece of coffee stained envelope as a bookmark. I doubt I'll ever truly stop buying the paper copies.
                        I thought I wood never go over to the Kindle, but like I said, space for more books is at zero, and I've found the Kindle so much easier on the shoulders and wrists

Originally posted by Luvnjoe View Post
                        I have big news tooooo! *bounces* April 2 is a big day!
                        Yay!!!! *crosses fingers that weren't already crossed*

Comment

*runs in*

*huggles all*

I'm not reading anything other than my schoolbooks right now! Just no time for it!

I also got to hear yesterday that Tjinta is pregnant! Yey! So we're expecting a litter of black labradors from her around the 24th of April! After almost two years of many tests/preparations it's getting really close now!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sarai View Post
                            I love both Sci-Fi and Fantasy although I tend to lean towards the latter. My dad loves the Chronicles of Amber by Roger Zelazney and I've tried and tried again to get into it but it has got to be one of the most complicated books ever written !

Dee have you tried any of the Dragonriders of Pern books by Anne Mcaffrey? Great read! I also love anything and everything by Tamora Pierce although her stuff is mostly for teens. Try Diana Wynne Jones' Howl's Moving Castle - a really beautiful story and a wonderful Studio Ghibli adaptation. She has a range of other novels as well which I'm planning on diving into soon. And just because Josi isn't here to do it herself - anything by Neil Gaiman is just an absolute joy to read
                            I haven't read anything from those authors, so thankkkk you!!! *hugs*

Originally posted by Bekki View Post

Hi you!!!

I used to be that way, but I kinda like the fact that I can carry my library with me

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                            I recently read a half-dozen books by Todd McCaffrey (Anne's son) set in Pern. They were good. Kept true to Anne's vision - she advised him along the way.
                            *puts on the list*

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                            *runs in*

*huggles all*

I'm not reading anything other than my schoolbooks right now! Just no time for it!

I also got to hear yesterday that Tjinta is pregnant! Yey! So we're expecting a litter of black labradors from her around the 24th of April! After almost two years of many tests/preparations it's getting really close now!
                            Congrats!!!
                            sigpic

Comment

whoa, you guys had a great discussion about books and I missed it. I guess sleeping is a good excuse! Now no one is home!
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
                                whoa, you guys had a great discussion about books and I missed it. I guess sleeping is a good excuse! Now no one is home!
                                Never too late to join in
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X