No announcement yet.

The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cags, unless Ben is really too ill to go out, I'd just take him along. Let's face it, if he's got chicken pox it's a certainty that it's going around the area so he's not going to be single-handedly responsible for an epidemic And the fresh air will probably do him good

Comment

I did just that in the end Jumble, working on exactly that logic.
      I'm always a bit overly wary about taking a contagious disease anywhere knowingly though; I think people ought to have a choice whether to be exposed or not and if I thrust it at them, I feel like I'm taking away their choice.
      Daft maybe but I recall when Ben was about 1 (I think) turning up at a relatives house via a long standing invite, and finding out the kids all had CP. Not that I minded him being exposed, but, y'know, a text or something to warn me so I could make a choice would have been the done thing.
      Just a bit worried because I was at the parents yesterday and I spent a lot of time with mum doing her hair and nails and worrying that I've exposed her. She's had it, of course, but there's always shingles. I remember my nan had that once and it was horrible. Oh well, it's not like I did it deliberately.
      Ben's being an absolute trouper though. Not even asked for the calamine and isn't scratching at all. Brave little man.

EDIT: Is is slightly wrong that I am somehow relishing all these moments of childhood? Even the illnesses and the strops and the bedtime battles? Must be bonkers!
      sigpic

Comment

Cags, adults can't get shingles from children with chicken pox - that's a total fallacy! In fact it's the other way around

Besides, CP incubates for about two weeks before the spots appear, and is less contagious after they do.

No, it's not wrong to cherish every moment, good or bad - they grow up so fast you need to capture every second of their childhood.

Personally, I woodn't put calamine on the spots - it's messy, it only stops the itch until it dries, and when it dries it causes it's own irritation. Piriton is a much better bet, and if you really feel you must put something on the skin, antihistamine cream (Anthisan) is much more effective

Yes, I've had a lot of experience of kids with CP
        Last edited by Jumble; 25 February 2013, 07:43 AM.

Comment

Ah good stuff. I'll give him piriton tonight (if I recall the night itching is always worse). He had a temperature one night about 2 weeks ago but has been fine and bouncy, which is a good thing.
          What you say about shingles makes sense now. Thinking about it, isn't shingles just something that flares up if you've had CP and are run down? i.e. no real exposure/reason just the virus reactivates.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
            Ah good stuff. I'll give him piriton tonight (if I recall the night itching is always worse). He had a temperature one night about 2 weeks ago but has been fine and bouncy, which is a good thing.
            What you say about shingles makes sense now. Thinking about it, isn't shingles just something that flares up if you've had CP and are run down? i.e. no real exposure/reason just the virus reactivates.
            It is often worse at night, mainly because of the enclosed.... ness of being tucked up under a duvet. Warmth + lack of air = itchy!

You can get shingles either way, and it's a lot nastier than CP

Comment

*runz through, dodging CP germies*

Neither of my kids have had CP! We've just never been around when an outbreak occurs. Hubby has had CP, but since his bone marrow transplant the dr says he may get it again. YUCK! *tries to imagine autistic daughter with CP*
              sigpic

Comment

You can get a vaccination LJ. At least over here you can. It's not part of the immunisation programme but we can do it privately here for about £100.
                I'd resolved that if B hasn't had it by the time he was 7 I'd get him vaccinated. Having had it at 14 and been totally miserable about it, my philosophy was not to let him suffer unduly if I could help it.
                sigpic

Comment

You can get a vaccination LJ. At least over here you can. It's not part of the immunisation programme but we can do it privately here for about £100.
                  I'd resolved that if B hasn't had it by the time he was 7 I'd get him vaccinated. Having had it at 14 and been totally miserable about it, my philosophy was not to let him suffer unduly if I could help it.
                  14 - try 41 or so...and guess where I got it from - the UK! I was there for about 4 weeks and got it about 1 week after I got home....do the math! Hmmm! Mine did itch but I couldn't do much about it...did get off of work thou - that was nice! But about $150 for the shot - ouch! Expensive. I did get the anti shingles vaccination last spring and was glad for that. Also the flu vaccine (still got the stomach flu), pneumonia vaccination and whooping cough vaccination. I've been shot up enough for awhile!
                  sigpic

Comment

I didn't know you could get vacced for CP Or shingles for that matter....... you learn something new everyday

Comment

here there is quite a campaign to remind seniors to get vaccinated against shingles. I hear a commercial for it at least once a week.
                      sigpic

Comment

*bounces in*

FINALLY!!! The dvd of Goodnight for Justice: Queen of Hearts, the cowboy movie Martin directed last year, is available for pre-order on Amazon!! WooHoooooood!! Should arrive sometime in May

*crosses fingers for some bts and SFs*

*dances out*
                        Last edited by Jumble; 26 February 2013, 02:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                          I didn't know you could get vacced for CP Or shingles for that matter....... you learn something new everyday
                          It's only available on NHS for people who have/live with immune compromised people but you can get it done privately.

*bounces in*

FINALLY!!! The dvd of Goodnight for Justice: Queen of Hearts, the cowboy movie Martin directed last year, is available for pre-order on Amazon!! WooHoooooood!! Should arrive sometime in May

*crosses fingers for some bts and SFs*

*dances out*
                          *bounces* Yay! I'm glad it's out at last. Here's hoping for some BTS.

I am going to see Muse in concert! oh my! Unexpected (going with a friend - week before Chevron8.0) but can't wait. Love Muse. I have so many good things to look forward to this year.
                          sigpic

Comment

*bounces* Yay! I'm glad it's out at last. Here's hoping for some BTS.
                            I sooo hope there are some - hopefully riding his horse

I am going to see Muse in concert! oh my! Unexpected (going with a friend - week before Chevron8.0) but can't wait. Love Muse. I have so many good things to look forward to this year.
                            Good for you!

AfA challenge entries...........

Comment

Corin Nemec has pulled out of Chevron 8.0 - not surprising considering his recent injuries

But maybe they'll call Martin in to take his place *crosses fingers, toes and every other crossable parts*
                              Last edited by Jumble; 26 February 2013, 01:38 PM.

Comment

The vaccines have been around for some time. Highly recommend the one time anti shingles shot. My Grandmother had that when I was young. Poor woman was miserable. Not recommended. And not adviseable to get CP later in life because it could turn into shingles while you have CP or so I have been told.

The pneumonia shot was taken only because of an illness I had that compromised my breathing (and almost my life) - it is for precautions and I understand it works quite well. One shot to do that - worth it. All paid for my medicare. See being older doesn't always suck!

BTW - the "Queen of Hearts" movie is playing here in the state on 2/26th on the Hallmark channel for those that might want to watch it!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X