• Time
  • Show
Clear All

*grumbles about hubby, who is being a pain in the...a pain*
    sigpic

Comment

Wow 8 puppies LJ. Houseful!

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post
      And let me just point out that I am making my way to my 69 alone and before Cags.
      *mutters something about all talk, no action*

Hey! I was away... 'k. I was consoling my bestie (who's FIL died last week) with, er, a large bottle of brandy. The fact that her cat was in season and yowling like a crazy thing all the time made it even more interesting. Have you ever tried to sleep through the sound of a cat in heat trying to mate with everything? Yeah...

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
      I find it incredible that in this day and age we still have six and seven-year-olds having their teeth filled because they are badly decayed.

Interesting this point you raise. I have a friend who's 6 year old has had to have a filling recently. My friend is a pharmacist, very educated and very responsible parent. She does not feed her child loads and loads of sweets, chocolate etc. at all but still ended up in this situation. Apparently - according to the dentist - a lot of "healthy" foods contain sugars and acids too. Things like smoothies and fromage frais that we're sort of persuaded is good for our children because it contains their 5 a day or calcium for strong teeth and bones. A lot if it is also down to frequency as well. In other words, if you're going to give your kids sweet things, let them have them all in one hit in the day, and not in little bits here and there. It kind of make sense to me.
      There's also been some issues around fluoride in toothpastes and - where parents tend to buy infant/child toothpastes - they often don't contain any fluoride because too much can be a bad thing. So unless you're in an area where its added to the tap water, you get none and this has proven to have a protective effect on our teeth. I've never used infant toothpastes with Ben; he uses what I do (just a bit less of it)
      I also think there's an element of the mother's diet before birth of the child to play in this. Charles had dreadful teeth - as did his sister. His family were very poor and had very little as children. I know he once ended up in hospital malnourished as a baby because he was getting no goodness from his mother's milk. A bit of me does have to wonder how much of the path of his (and his sister's) life was determined by poor nutrition / higher maternal age in their mum?

But back on track... I agree with you on the tax thing. I don't see how taxing sweet/sugary foods will make any difference (except to the governments coffers) when the root of the problem really is a lack of basic understanding on what a good and healthy diet looks like, and how to provide one on a budget. It is possible to provide a low cost meal to your family without buying junk food.

Originally posted by TrueRomantic View Post
      Thanks...Sadly, got word a few hours ago that my Shalimar didn't make it.

Big huggles. Very sorry to hear that.

Originally posted by TrueRomantic View Post
      Apparently we see two different versions of Richard Castle. At the start of the series has was jackass-y, but it was just a front. His way of protecting himself. As the seasons went on he let go of that front and started showing more of the sweet and caring guy he really is. <snipped only for space>

*steps down off of Castle (character and show) soapbox*

This. Just. Yes.

I have to admit, I have just finished watching the entire Firefly series (rather backwardly because the whole thing started with me watching the movie one night and spurred me to rewatch the series and now... I plan to rewatch the movie again in context ) It's interesting to see the differences in the character Nathan Fillion plays on Firefly and on Castle. He's much more badass-with-a-subtext-of-pathos as Mal. I actually prefer the Mal type character, partly because I think he has more dimensions to him which means NF gets to show his acting range much better (because I do think there are times Castle's writers threaten to make him a caricature of himself and it does NF no favours) and partly because I am just such a sucker for a messed up man. Particularly one who is dangerously messed up and has a big gun, nothing to lose and really wants to hurt someone quite badly. This is why I fell in love with Mulder. That and his grey green eyes and nice ar...er... arms.
      In Castle it's Beckett that's the emotionally screwed up and dangerous one. Castle is much more the one who grounds things and adds the light touch. The couple of times he has flipped and shown his mettle I've absolutely loved it. That scene in Always when he goes to Kate and it all comes out... gah... I love the way he acts that; tears in his eyes and all. What's not to love.

Congrats on your 69 Nad!

*shimmies... nekkid*
      sigpic

Comment

Comment

I have wonderfully strong teeth. I hadn't been to the dentist in 10 years when I went a couple of years ago. After inspecting and xraying and then a good cleaning, he said he'd see me in another 10 years. We never had sweets or soft drinks when I was a kid.

We (teachers) cannot even give out candy treats to students at all (not even Christmas) anymore. New laws in Texas - no soft drink machines for students nor snacks. Candy sales can only be done after school, and then they're limited to the size of the candy. Chips (fries) are no longer on the lunch menus at all. Loads more healthy options like meal-sized salads with chicken.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
            Interesting this point you raise. I have a friend who's 6 year old has had to have a filling recently. My friend is a pharmacist, very educated and very responsible parent. She does not feed her child loads and loads of sweets, chocolate etc. at all but still ended up in this situation. Apparently - according to the dentist - a lot of "healthy" foods contain sugars and acids too. Things like smoothies and fromage frais that we're sort of persuaded is good for our children because it contains their 5 a day or calcium for strong teeth and bones. A lot if it is also down to frequency as well. In other words, if you're going to give your kids sweet things, let them have them all in one hit in the day, and not in little bits here and there. It kind of make sense to me.
            Absolutely right! Apples are full of acid and are very bad for the teeth

In fact, rather a lot of things that are 'made for babies and children' are actually choc-a-bloc with sugar - often disguised as fructose, glucose etc, which are still sugar whatever they decide to call them The only way to avoid it is to not buy anything ready-made - make it yourself, that way you know exactly what's in it.

Yes, give them sweet things in one hit, then get them to clean their teeth. Very few children seem to clean their teeth after eating, which is the only way to really protect them.

There's also been some issues around fluoride in toothpastes and - where parents tend to buy infant/child toothpastes - they often don't contain any fluoride because too much can be a bad thing. So unless you're in an area where its added to the tap water, you get none and this has proven to have a protective effect on our teeth. I've never used infant toothpastes with Ben; he uses what I do (just a bit less of it)
            Again, I'm very suspicous of anything touted as being 'healthy' for children - I've never bought kids' toothpaste either. Too much fluoride doesn't do any real harm - it may cause a little discolouration of the teeth, but that is easily removed.

I also think there's an element of the mother's diet before birth of the child to play in this. Charles had dreadful teeth - as did his sister. His family were very poor and had very little as children. I know he once ended up in hospital malnourished as a baby because he was getting no goodness from his mother's milk. A bit of me does have to wonder how much of the path of his (and his sister's) life was determined by poor nutrition / higher maternal age in their mum?
            Absolutely! Which is another reason to educate people at an early age so that they are already consuming a healthy, balanced diet. Poor nutrition in childhood definitely paves the way for ill health in adulthood - how can it not?

But back on track... I agree with you on the tax thing. I don't see how taxing sweet/sugary foods will make any difference (except to the governments coffers) when the root of the problem really is a lack of basic understanding on what a good and healthy diet looks like, and how to provide one on a budget. It is possible to provide a low cost meal to your family without buying junk food.
            Of course it is - the problem there is that most of the current generation of parents never learned how to cook, or how to budget for that matter. Fast food has taken over and people don't seem to realise that proper healthy meals cost a lot less than MacDonald's rubbish. It's ok now and then, but not on a daily basis like some do.

*climbs down off of hobby-horse*

Oh dear, we're being serious again *looks around for the GW gremlins*

Comment

Oh! Crying puppies! *runz off to laundry room*
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                I have wonderfully strong teeth. I hadn't been to the dentist in 10 years when I went a couple of years ago. After inspecting and xraying and then a good cleaning, he said he'd see me in another 10 years. We never had sweets or soft drinks when I was a kid.

We (teachers) cannot even give out candy treats to students at all (not even Christmas) anymore. New laws in Texas - no soft drink machines for students nor snacks. Candy sales can only be done after school, and then they're limited to the size of the candy. Chips (fries) are no longer on the lunch menus at all. Loads more healthy options like meal-sized salads with chicken.
                There you go, you've proved my point

When my local First School decided to ban crisps and chocolate in kids' lunchboxes a lot of parents objected to being told what they should or should not give their kids Ignorance is bliss I guess - until they're up all night with a child who has raging toothache

Comment

A little non-serious picspam..........

Comment

Puppy pics! Here!
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                      There you go, you've proved my point

When my local First School decided to ban crisps and chocolate in kids' lunchboxes a lot of parents objected to being told what they should or should not give their kids Ignorance is bliss I guess - until they're up all night with a child who has raging toothache
                      Ben's school keep sending notes home to parents telling them to leave out the junk. Ben has school dinners, which I think are fairly priced for all they get and the choice is both varied and healthy. The only thing I have to worry about with that is how much horse he's inadvertently eaten.

Aww look at that lovely picspam... and... pupppies! Aww. I was a squishlecuddle with them. So gorgeous. I hope they're not keeping you all awake too much.
                      sigpic

Comment

puppy pic link isn't working right now. I wanna see babies!!!!!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                          puppy pic link isn't working right now. I wanna see babies!!!!!
                          It was working earlier - probably just a temporary glitch

Comment

All working for me Nola. Hope you get it sorted. They really are supercute. Almost cuter than Mr Wood (but not quite).

Speaking of...

I just realised this is a new hand picture to me. Mind if I snurch? I feel the need to do something pretty with it.

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                            It's interesting to see the differences in the character Nathan Fillion plays on Firefly and on Castle. He's much more badass-with-a-subtext-of-pathos as Mal. I actually prefer the Mal type character, partly because I think he has more dimensions to him which means NF gets to show his acting range much better (because I do think there are times Castle's writers threaten to make him a caricature of himself and it does NF no favours)... <snipped>
                            Just quoting myself because since I watched Castle 5x15 this morning, I'd like to order a side salad to go with those words please?

Don't you just love it when you stumble across a video or piece of art from one of your fandoms that you've never seen before and it starts a chain reaction of awsomeness. Fate kind of led me to this Sam Carter video earlier today totally by accident, and it led to all sorts of good stuff. It never hurts to be reminded what an amazing character Sam was, and fabulous actress AT is. *sigh* I miss Stargate. I wish we'd had that last movie now. I wonder if they'll ever release the script/plot? Of course that would never make up for seeing it directed by the erstwhile Mr Wood, but we could stage our own Woodesque Woohoo film shoot. Nad can play Sam.
                            sigpic

Comment

That pic has been around for awhile Cags Of course you can snurch

I've spent most of the day lying on my bed waiting for the room to stop spinning I woodn't mind, but no alcohol has passed my lips for several months, so it's not that. And everything aches Guess I've picked up one of the many lurgies that have been floating around for the last few weeks

Comment

Thanks.

*huggles* Just out if interest, is your temp fluctuating? Do you have bone deep chills, aching limbs and swollen glands? If so then I reckon you might have the same random and unspecified lurgy I seem to have.

*sends healing vibes*
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X