The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
    Suz just called to say that they've found a temporary fieldbuddy for Wrex for the next week, then they'll have to figure something else out so that he's not alone. He and Mr T were the only ones that stayed out 24/7 (you don't stable Cobs, apparently), so none of the existing horses can stay out with him.

I can't get the feeling out of my head. Wrex and I are not best friends, mainly because he's big and bouncy and I'm scared of him. I don't normally get close unless there's a fence between us, but this morning he came up and stood quietly beside me in the field and nuzzled me while I stroked his neck and tried to comfort him. So sad.
    Animals have emotions and feeling also. They may express it differently, but they feel loss as well. I'm sorry for the loss of Mr T!

And thank you all for the well wishes.....Oh and Cags - the neighbor is married! As for the Dish guy - yes he was dishy, but I think he was being respectful to me because of my age!

And JUMBLE - you need to wear those goggles! I managed to wear them even if they are a pain to wear - but you have to sleep only on your back! Frustrating as that might be, laying on your side will make them uncomfortable to wear.

Well, I think I'm going back to sleep. Too early for me to be up!
    sigpic

Comment

And some people think that animals don't have emotions. ((Wrex)) (((((Suz)))))

Happy and then bursting into tears is not good (((Cags)))

Cotton gloves sounds like an excellent idea. I, on the other hand, have to make a special point to take OFF my glasses at night - many a time I've woken up in the morning with them still on!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
        And some people think that animals don't have emotions. ((Wrex)) (((((Suz)))))

Happy and then bursting into tears is not good (((Cags)))

Cotton gloves sounds like an excellent idea. I, on the other hand, have to make a special point to take OFF my glasses at night - many a time I've woken up in the morning with them still on!
        thinking back to the days I use to wear glasses, it would make it easier to see what time it was and if you could go back to sleep for just another 10 minutes!

Oh and no - never went back to sleep - unpacked 5 more boxes instead - I have linen but can't find toilet paper!
        sigpic

Comment

Today's bits:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post

Oh and no - never went back to sleep - unpacked 5 more boxes instead - I have linen but can't find toilet paper!
            Sounds like you're making a good start - I've been in my current house almost 6 years and I think there are still boxes in my wardrobe I never opened

Ok question for our learned WooHoo's. Is an almost 4 (going on 14!) year old capable of learning to read?
            My Niece is turning out to be exceptionally bright, she can already write most of the family member's names - and tell me when I have left a letter off the shortened 'kids' version of my name. The thing is that she is getting 'naughty' and I think she may be bored and need a bit more stimulation. Hence the 'Auntie Steph(y)' teaching her to read idea.
            sigpic
            Thank you ladygris for my lovely sig and avi

Comment

Originally posted by Madness reigns View Post
              Sounds like you're making a good start - I've been in my current house almost 6 years and I think there are still boxes in my wardrobe I never opened

Ok question for our learned WooHoo's. Is an almost 4 (going on 14!) year old capable of learning to read?
              My Niece is turning out to be exceptionally bright, she can already write most of the family member's names - and tell me when I have left a letter off the shortened 'kids' version of my name. The thing is that she is getting 'naughty' and I think she may be bored and need a bit more stimulation. Hence the 'Auntie Steph(y)' teaching her to read idea.
              I would think something along the lines of fairytails ... but it's been a long long time since I was four... You might ask the parents what are they reading to her now, which will give you an idea what to buy.

Then again, I'm sure that someone with more experience could give you a better suggestion
              sigpic
              Big thanks to josi for avi and sig

Comment

Originally posted by Devilish Me View Post
                I would think something along the lines of fairytails ... but it's been a long long time since I was four... You might ask the parents what are they reading to her now, which will give you an idea what to buy.
                I babysat last weekend and read her ' The Tiger that came for Tea' before bed. Well, to say I read it is exaggerating - although I know she was repeating, she was several sentences ahead of me all the way through.
                She retains information scarily easily, after a couple of watches of any new film with songs she will be singing then word perfect - currently it's The Wizard of Oz.
                sigpic

Comment

*hugs Suz and Wrex and Cags all very tightly*

Jumble, glad your eyes are doing well!

Originally posted by Madness reigns View Post

Yes. Absolutely. And if she's writing people's names she's already reading, so she's definitely ready for it I think as long as the child is enjoying it (so they're not being forced/pushed) then don't worry about her age - if she's not ready you'll soon find out, and then stop. While it's not a good idea to push kids, it's also not beneficial to them to hold them back if they are more advanced - they just get bored and frustrated and naughty. But yes, certainly she is not too young if she's ready.

Really speaking from my own personal experience here - I started to learn to read when I was two, because like your niece I was already recognising words anyway, and I could read fluently well before I went to school. My mum started to teach me because she realised I was doing it myself already. But then I was a freak
                  sigpic
                  Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

It is entirely possible for a child that young to read. I speak from personal experience. When I was three, one rainy afternoon my brothers and sisters and I were coloring. I "drew" three letters - P-I-E, and my oldest sister said "Hey, that's a word!" and told me what it was. I was fascinated. Just turned 4 and my grandmother took me to second-hand store. I found a book there that I wanted and she bought it for me. It was a fourth grade health book, but it had cartoons every few pages illustrating adventures the children in the neighborhood were having. I taught myself to read with that book. By four and a half, I was probably reading at least at a 3rd grade level.

Hehehehe - those are the kind of memories that stick with you...
                    sigpic

Comment

*hugs WooHoos*

*hugs Suz*

Yay for moving in Laurie!

I could read when I was four as well. It had something to do with me being jealous of my brother because he could read. It never crossed my mind that he was seven years older and was *supposed* to be able to read already.

Originally posted by Luvnjoe View Post
                      Woo, I like that name! Although, I think a Joe thread wood have to be...like..."The Joe Mallozzi Snark City Thread", or "Mallozzi Madness (no cranky-pants allowed!)"...or..."LJ's 'special' thread that she thinks Joe reads--humor her". You know...something like that...
                      I'm still disappointed that you didn't stick with ''the JoeHos''.

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post

I had some news today... that made me very happy... then promptly burst into tears and just wanting to shake my fist at the world for being basically a big pile of dog doo... then feel stupid and selfish for doing so. Oh life. why do you have to be so complex.
                      *hugs*
                      Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
                      Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

*is feeling a bit slow* So many advanced Woohoos!!! I learned to read at 7...barely managing at 8 And of course at 8 came the Latin alphabet... And then English alphabet... it's a wonder I'm talking to you at all!!!

Edit: MR I Googled books that are similar to Wizard of Oz, and there's an Oz series of books! I did not know that! Also found this which is weird Embarassingly I have to admit I'd love to read Pinocchio Vampire slayer! That has to be funny... He doesn't even need sticks!
                        sigpic

Comment

ah, but I can only do it in ONE language!
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks guys, Ellie was reluctant to start reading books but was quite happy to spend hours writing all the ingredients off the cereal packets and anything else that had words on it. Although she did start reading about 3 months before she started school and now is happy with books meant for 12+ (she's 9)!
                            I think Emma needs to be pushed to keep her a little more occupied, and I really need something else to do with her next time other than her beating me at Guess Who (seriously who'd have thought a 3 year old could be that good!)
                            sigpic

Comment

Different strokes, as they say... sounds obvious to say it, but kids are people too, with different likes and abilities and talents. All the theories about what a child should be doing and the appropriate age for things can only ever be guidelines - what the average child is likely to do.
                              sigpic
                              Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                                ah, but I can only do it in ONE language!
                                That's the only one you really need
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X