The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post
    *hugs WooHoos* WooHood! Congrats on finding a new home, Laurie!
    Originally posted by Josiane
    Wonderful news, Laurie! So happy for you!
    Thank you both for your well wishes...I am really very excited...I was losing hope when this place came along.

Wendy - I hope they find out what's wrong with your Grandmother quickly and cure her just as quickly!

Originally posted by tinnec
    My grandma has skin cancer again and is going in for scans and stuff. Also, I'm at the hospital right now because my sister is in surgery.
    I have had two boughts with skin cancer - misplaced youth who spent time at the beach - hopefully it will be easy for her. And I hope your sister's surgery goes well.

My prayers are with both of you.
    sigpic

Comment

All right Jumble, I give in, I've changed my sig/avi
      sigpic
      Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
        Oh no, change it back please.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Kliggins View Post
          Oh no, change it back please.
          Ah, he had a good run Time for Cap'n Tightpants to take a turn!
          sigpic
          Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Ah, he had a good run Time for Cap'n Tightpants to take a turn!
            Okay. It was nice while it lasted.

Glad you had a good time at the gymnastics final. You guys got robbed.
            sigpic

Comment

*stumbles in, passes out huggles all around*

Congrats again on the house Laurie. Continued good vibes sent the way of your grandma Wendy.

Today's bits:

sigpic

Comment

Thank you for taking my subtle hint That's much better

Wendy, lots of good vibes coming to you and your Grandma - hope she gets well soon

You can get free books from Amazon, or some very cheap ones some under £1 Not the latest releases obviously, but some quite good ones

*huggles Tinnec and sends healing vibes to Grandma and Sister*

Laurie, sooooo glad you got that place, it sounds ideal for you I'll start saving my pennies so I can come and test out the guest room

Comment

our libraries have Kindle lending - just like regular books, for two weeks at a time. My daughter does that quite a lot.
                  sigpic

Comment

All the classics (i.e. over 100 years old so out of copyright) are free via Amazon. There is also a lending program for Amazon Prime members, but you only get one book a month (which is fine unless you are like me and used it to read a trilogy and couldn't wait almost 3 weeks until you could read the 3rd book). And there is the library lending through many local libraries (at least in the US) where you can borrow up to 10 books at a time. Mine lends them out for up to 3 weeks. There are a lot of waiting list though since they have a limited number of 'digital licenses' for each book.

In the first year of owning my Kindle I think I only bought 2 or 3 books. I am buying more now since I have gone through most of the ones available at the library that I came across that interested me.

Comment

I'm still a hardback person. I've purchased the occasional paperback when it's by an author I really like and I can't find it in hardback. I know, totally old-school. I just love the feel of a real book in my hands.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                        our libraries have Kindle lending - just like regular books, for two weeks at a time. My daughter does that quite a lot.
                        Originally posted by antoa View Post
                        All the classics (i.e. over 100 years old so out of copyright) are free via Amazon. There is also a lending program for Amazon Prime members, but you only get one book a month (which is fine unless you are like me and used it to read a trilogy and couldn't wait almost 3 weeks until you could read the 3rd book). And there is the library lending through many local libraries (at least in the US) where you can borrow up to 10 books at a time. Mine lends them out for up to 3 weeks. There are a lot of waiting list though since they have a limited number of 'digital licenses' for each book.

In the first year of owning my Kindle I think I only bought 2 or 3 books. I am buying more now since I have gone through most of the ones available at the library that I came across that interested me.
                        Ah yes, I always forget about getting e-books from the library That's well worth checking out Wendy

Oh, and.....

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                        I'm still a hardback person. I've purchased the occasional paperback when it's by an author I really like and I can't find it in hardback. I know, totally old-school. I just love the feel of a real book in my hands.
                        I never thought I'd enjoy reading anything but a 'proper' book, but since I was having so much trouble holding one for any length of time I've found the Kindle to be a brilliant substitute

Comment

Yes, there is a huge uproar in the LIS community over that. I can't remember which publisher it is, but they only allow their books to be checked out 26 times. With budget cuts these days, libraries can't keep paying for a license when they run out, so much of the budget goes to online licensing it's sick. Libraries also offer audio books in digital format as well.

And Happy 69 post to Wendy!
                          Icon by AceofHadeon Sig by TrueRomantic

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Padme18 View Post
                            Yes, there is a huge uproar in the LIS community over that. I can't remember which publisher it is, but they only allow their books to be checked out 26 times. With budget cuts these days, libraries can't keep paying for a license when they run out, so much of the budget goes to online licensing it's sick. Libraries also offer audio books in digital format as well.

I thought that they had a certain number of digital copies that they can lend out at a time (similar to the number of physical copies). At least this is how it is with L.A. library. For example, the book I am currently waiting for, they library has 3 digital copies that people can borrow at a time. I am number 2 of seven on the waiting list so I have to wait until 2 more people 'return' their copies or their lending time expires. I didn't know they had a 'maximum limit' of lends per copy.

Comment

Originally posted by Padme18 View Post

That was Antoa

Last night someone told me I'm a beautiful woman, so of course I laughed He gave me this really serious, intense look and said "I didn't mean your face, silly! I meant your heart, your soul and your personality!"

I'm still not sure if I should feel insulted or not

Lovely day lined up today - first the Dentist, then the Physio - I may need (gentle) hugs later

Comment

I thought that they had a certain number of digital copies that they can lend out at a time (similar to the number of physical copies). At least this is how it is with L.A. library. For example, the book I am currently waiting for, they library has 3 digital copies that people can borrow at a time. I am number 2 of seven on the waiting list so I have to wait until 2 more people 'return' their copies or their lending time expires. I didn't know they had a 'maximum limit' of lends per copy.
                                This is true as well, but some publishing companies are limiting the number of times those digital copies can be checked out once the library purchases them. The license to lend them expires then and they have to purchase it again, draining their resources. Licensing is not cheap, it's one of the most expensive drains on a libraries budget, especially a small one. Not all companies do this though. I just can't remember the ones involved in the hullabaloo. But I may have just found my next paper topic, perhaps for my Collection Development class next Spring.
                                Icon by AceofHadeon Sig by TrueRomantic

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X