X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somewhat disappointed with how few commentaries there are,
    Spoiler:
    and none for Tempus, Monsoon or Icebreaker

I know Martin was gone before the end of the season, but still.........

Comment

I really appreciate that my daughter insists that my granddaughter have nice manners. It will go so much further in life than just her pretty face.

I'm going to work on clearing out my office today to convert it to a guest room. I never use it as an office. It just collects junk. So, I'm giving my sewing table and sewing machine to my daughter, keeping the desk and spare computer, and will put in a sofa-bed.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
        I really appreciate that my daughter insists that my granddaughter have nice manners. It will go so much further in life than just her pretty face.
        That's exactly right! Same goes for table manners - there is nothing worse IMO than sitting opposite an adult who eats with their mouth open or tries to talk through their food just because they were never taught better when they were kids. And don't get me started on elbows on tables Children learn so easily, it's not hard to teach them from a very early age

I'm going to work on clearing out my office today to convert it to a guest room. I never use it as an office. It just collects junk. So, I'm giving my sewing table and sewing machine to my daughter, keeping the desk and spare computer, and will put in a sofa-bed.
        I really ought to be getting some housework done - been neglecting the place terribly lately - because I'm interviewing on Monday and need to give a half decent impression.

*thinks*

I'll do it tomorrow - got commentaries to listen to and SFs to watch (again) today

Comment

My DVD arrived yesterday - been too busy to look - but will take care of that problem tomorrow!

As for you Jumble - I observed how you dealt with several children at one time and the ones you had at the house were very well behaved, active, but well mannered and I never heard you raising your voice once. They were inquisitive as children our but they also listened to what you said and did as they were told. Had no problems being there with them which was lovely. Personal observation - those other people - they are just to lazy to do it right and they will pay the price later (and apparently now as well) and so will (sadly) everyone else as they get older and inflict their personalities on the world.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
            My DVD arrived yesterday - been too busy to look - but will take care of that problem tomorrow!
            *iz still smiling happily* Martin has given me a huge boost - much needed - and I'm glad I'm off work for the next 8 days so I can thoroughly indulge myself

I even had a 'sod-it' moment earlier - went out and got myself a bottle of wine, some ice-cream and some chocolate - add those to the dvd SFs and it's a match made in heaven

As for you Jumble - I observed how you dealt with several children at one time and the ones you had at the house were very well behaved, active, but well mannered and I never heard you raising your voice once. They were inquisitive as children our but they also listened to what you said and did as they were told. Had no problems being there with them which was lovely. Personal observation - those other people - they are just to lazy to do it right and they will pay the price later (and apparently now as well) and so will (sadly) everyone else as they get older and inflict their personalities on the world.
            I had those kids practically from birth, so was able to give them the safe, loving environment that brings harmony and happiness to us all I treat them with patience and respect, explain to them the whys and wherefores of what I expect from them behaviour-wise, and mostly just love them to bits! I also do my best to maneouvre the parents into understanding what it takes to raise a happy, well-balanced child

Annie and Elliot left me last Tuesday, and I have the usual heartbreak to deal with. But I know that the time we spent together has benefited us all and that they'll go on with their lives all the richer for the time we had. Their mother said that she had been really worried about Elliot because he was very introverted before, and she credits me with the fact that he is now a very sociable little lad who gets on well with others and is finally starting to speak clearly. I'm so proud of him

Jess has grown up so much this last year - you woodn't recognise her! She's doing really well at nursery and no longer finds it necessary to throw a major tantrum when she can't get what she wants or when she just doesn't understand something or can't make herself understood. Her vocabulary is amazing for an almost 3 year old and she can count up to 20 and sing complicated songs absolutely word perfect

I don't think it's just laziness on the parents' part that creates ill-behaved children, more a lack of understanding of what is required to bring up a happy, well-mannered child. Which, unfortunately, is often the fault of their own parents' lack of expertise in parenting. And so it goes on

/lecture

Sorry

Comment

badly behaved children grow up to have problems - what's truly sad is that they will grow up not understanding why they can't get along with people - blaming everyone but themselves for their difficulties. The parents are responsible for not training them as children, yes, but as they become adults they have to take responsibility for their own actions. You can't blame someone else forever.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                badly behaved children grow up to have problems - what's truly sad is that they will grow up not understanding why they can't get along with people - blaming everyone but themselves for their difficulties. The parents are responsible for not training them as children, yes, but as they become adults they have to take responsibility for their own actions. You can't blame someone else forever.
                True, but if a child isn't given the tools and instructions on how to use them in order to become a responsible adult, how are they to learn? I believe the most important thing you can give to a child (apart from love, obviously) is a constant visual and aural example of acceptable behaviour - ie a good role model. If that child's parents have been brought up by parents that didn't teach them and show them how to be a responsible and respectable human being, how are they to show their own children?

Look at what you said about your daughter and grandchildren - where do you think your daughter learned to be a good parent? From you, obviously

I don't think it always follows, not everyone replicates their parents' behaviour (heaven forbid that I wood ever have treated my children the way I was treated ), but for the most part it does go on from generation to generation. I think the only way to help sort it is to have parenting classes put into the school curriculum - preferably taught by people who have the experience and know-how to pass on the kind of training that will help the parents of future generations to understand the complexities of parenting and how to influence their children towards polite behaviour and respect for others. But it'll never happen - the education authorities care nothing for the social world at large, only for their own narrow-minded numbers and charts

Comment

*waves*

Had a crazy work week, but today I got to assist in my first IUI (intrauterine insemination) and it was great. Our practice has a midwife-led alternative insemination program which I'm currently being oriented to. It's a really awesome thing to be a part of. And good to know the ins and outs as I may have need of it.

Have not yet bought the DVDs as I downloaded season 4 from iTunes. I just don't know of the special features are worth the precious apartment space! I'm REALLY trying to avoid accumulating things I don't need. So I may just have to watch them with friends who have the dvds.

Now, going to go for a long walk and enjoy this gorgeous day. It's ~80F and breezy. Perfect day to be outside.
                  sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

*waves to MoB* So glad to hear that you're enjoying your new job Could do with some of your weather though

Watching The Dead Zone - last week Pascale Hutton was in it, this week just spotted Chris Heyerdahl being very evil!

With long hair

Plaited!
                    Last edited by Jumble; 21 July 2012, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Oh, I think I should have tried the Martin+Merlot+Chocolate Pain Relief Method before - it's working reeeeeaaally well
                      Last edited by Jumble; 21 July 2012, 10:22 AM.

Comment

I went to the Fair last night! It's not as great as it was when I was a child. Not much to do and it was very warm and the bugs were starting to get nasty.

Hello! *hugs* You are right. We were at a friends house recently to watch a concert that she bought, and her grandkids were running around everywhere, screaming, and throwing their mother's shoes around. One of witch came close to hitting me and my laptop (which we were trying to hook up to the TV to watch the concert). Their mom, her daughter-in-law, just sat on the couch playing a game on her phone and saying "stop that" repeatedly. Obviously the kids didn't get it. She did nothing to stop them or reign them in. According to our friend, the kids are like that all the time. And she babysits them. If they are like that at 6, I can't wait until they're 16.
                        The shoe almost hit you AND your laptop and all they had to say was "Stop that"?!

Cell phones are ruining communication and interaction!

One of my teachers once said, and I paraphrase, "It's stupid that people go through classes and training for just about everything other than the most important part of life: child-raising."

You guys should write books on the topic of parenting! Your advice is so true and wise.

I know you're right, good manners are now in the minority and I dread to think how some of those kids will turn out in a few years. I just can't understand the laziness of some parents - I mean I am not a strict parent by any stretch of the imagination and Ellie has lots of freedom and opportunities to make her own mistakes but she is polite and respectful to everyone (even if they don't always deserve it!) and just wouldn't dare misbehave when being out like that. Not the most difficult thing to instill in a child.
                        Proud of you!

I even had a 'sod-it' moment earlier
                        What's "sod-it"?

Comment

sod-it appears to mean the same thing when we say "aw, to hell with it!"

Today's bits:

sigpic

Comment

sod-it appears to mean the same thing when we say "aw, to hell with it!"
                            Thank you!!

It's a quiet night here. We ordered Pizza Hut and are now watching Enchanted.

Comment

-pokes head in-

uh... hi guys. -sheepish grin-
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                                *waves to MoB* So glad to hear that you're enjoying your new job Could do with some of your weather though

Watching The Dead Zone - last week Pascale Hutton was in it, this week just spotted Chris Heyerdahl being very evil!

With long hair

Plaited!
                                I am afraid I don't want to part with this weather now that the heat wave is over!
                                sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Working...
                                X