• Show
Clear All

thanks but i came back it's to early
    sigpic
    Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

*sneaks in during lunch*

*waves goodbye to Ceefax*

We switched over to digital at the end of last year, can't say it made a blind bit of difference since we already had a digital tv with freeview built in

On the subject of new TVs though - we got a smart TV in the lounge, and seriously if you get the chance I recommend them very highly!! You plug the internet cable in the back, and you can get on to facebook, youtube, BBC iplayer, Love Film - there's loads, you download apps like on a smart phone. No internet browser YET (so no GW ) but it's only a matter of time!

Comment

Originally posted by Sarai View Post
        *sneaks in during lunch*

We switched over to digital at the end of last year, can't say it made a blind bit of difference since we already had a digital tv with freeview built in

On the subject of new TVs though - we got a smart TV in the lounge, and seriously if you get the chance I recommend them very highly!! You plug the internet cable in the back, and you can get on to facebook, youtube, BBC iplayer, Love Film - there's loads, you download apps like on a smart phone. No internet browser YET (so no GW ) but it's only a matter of time!

I shall resist that to my last breath! No, I just need a simple little tv in there (although I must admit having Freeview and DVD player built in is a major plus ), all my other tvs have enough bells and whistles to keep me happy Plus, this new one is only costing £99

Comment

now u am gone bye
          sigpic
          Ohhhhhhhh WHAM BAM THANK YOU MA'AM

Comment

In the US they switched over several years ago (Bush was President). However, there is a device that cost about $75 to $100 that you can put on the back of your analog signal that could convert the signal back. The government gave out millions of coupons to people so you could get one free device.
            The reason behind this was the networks and most stations had to broadcast in both digital and analog and it was costing them money. They wanted to switch over even sooner but the government said no, they had to do it this way. The reason behind it all was merely "progress" but it also created a nice industry called the cable/satelite tv industry. Now we all have to pay for cable these days! Sneaky, very blatant, but legal!

BTW - digital broadcasts with a higher resolution then analog!
            sigpic

Comment

You make cable/satellite sound like a bad thing I don't know what it was like in the US, but before we had that there were just five channels to choose from, and I wood never have got to see half the shows I've loved over the last 10 years - Sanctuary included
              Last edited by Jumble; 18 April 2012, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Didn't get to pick up the new tv because Harry's parents got held up at th baby scan Have to get it tomorrow instead

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                  So, today is the day that they turn off analogue tv in my area.......... therefore also the day that I discover the tv in the conservatory isn't digital Oh well, I was planning a trip to the dump this week, just have to add that to the pile of junk I'm taking

*runz off to search for a good deal on a new tv*
                  Jumble- on amazon uk, you can get a digital converter box for your analogue tv for < 30GBP. You can get one of those instead of a new tv, unless of course, you want a new shiny, which i totally understand.
                  sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
                    Jumble- on amazon uk, you can get a digital converter box for your analogue tv for < 30GBP. You can get one of those instead of a new tv, unless of course, you want a new shiny, which i totally understand.
                    Thanks for the info, but I really think converting a 20yr old tv woodn't work very well, and besides that it's a huge, heavy thing - rather get rid and bring in a new shiny

Comment

Anyone up for some cake???
                      I tried to make a rainbow cake for my friends Birthday - lets just say it didn't go too well

She'll have to make do with chocolate fudge instead

sigpic
                      Thank you ladygris for my lovely sig and avi

Comment

Caaaaaaaaake.
                        Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
                        Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

*droolz*

Comment

Evening all

On GoT...

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                            I haven't seen any of Game of Thrones. Heard it's not bad though...
                            It's excellent, as long as you don't mind all the explicit sex and violence If that isn't a dealbreaker for you, then it's utterly fantastic.

And the books are wonderful

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
                            YAY! I need to talk about books v show. I think they are combining a lot of books 2 &3 this year. It's getting confusing that way.
                            Spoilered just in case, as it's currently airing...

Spoiler:
                            Yes, I'm sure I saw somewhere that they're not sticking to one book one series (particularly given how slowly GRRM is churning them out now) but are trying to select the bits that go in each episode and series according to what will construct the best TV narrative (obviously within reason, as there's still an order!). I'm finding I'm enjoying it best if I don't try to match it back to the books too closely, because they're definitely being less faithful this season than last. That's not something that ever bothers me too much, tbh, though, and I think that some of the scenes we've had added in this season so far have been a good translation of what is implicit in the books but works better visually on screen. You'll know the scenes I mean

I am looking forward to AT6. I am pretty sure I am going to be able to get the time off to come. Even if it means flying in on thursday and leaving monday.
                            Yay! Really hope you can!

Originally posted by Sarai View Post
                            *sneaks in during lunch*

*sniff* So sad. Even though we went digital months and months ago, seeing the farewell to Ceefax things today have reminded me how I loved it as a kid. Hours playing the quizzes when I was small (and when we didn't have it on our TV so I could only play it when we visited my grandparents), hours reading the soap catch-ups and watching cricket scorecards as a teenager (yes, I'm aware that is an odd combination of favourite pages...)

Ohhh! WANT. But my TV is still relatively new so must be strong and resist. At least for a bit...
                            sigpic
                            Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Wood that be Sean Bean in those explicit sex scenes?

So, with a 'smart' tv, can you watch live tv, recorded tv or dvd whilst also surfing the net, chatting on FB, Twitter and GW?
                              Last edited by Jumble; 18 April 2012, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                                Wood that be Sean Bean in those explicit sex scenes?
                                He was more in the blood & gore ones...
                                sigpic
                                Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Working...
                                X