No announcement yet.

The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on the new place MoB....it looks like it will be nice once you get your hand into it!

News of the day - Just bought a new 2012 LE Camry Hybrid - a really pretty blue color and it has a fancy GPS in it. Really nice car and drives really easy. Traded in my other one yesterday but it wasn't ready until today. Just picked it up and brought it home about an hour ago....then called my insurance company to change the policy. Only going to cost me another $68. Reading through the book to see how all the gadgets work and what gadgets it has!
    sigpic

Comment

Congrats on the new car!!! what fun! Every time I think I may get one, I think what for? Mine's 10 years old, but it only has 41,000 miles on it, runs perfectly and looks great - why mess with what works?
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
        Congrats on the new car!!! what fun! Every time I think I may get one, I think what for? Mine's 10 years old, but it only has 41,000 miles on it, runs perfectly and looks great - why mess with what works?
        The smell of cat throwup and not sure what else is always a good reason! Aired it out real good before I took it over for the trade-in. Oh and the alarm going off whenever it wants doesn't help either! Besides, I like BLUE!

First passenger will be Claire when I drive up to Vancouver to pick her up and bring her down to my place. Of course there will be a day or so in Vancouver for me first! Hmm, maybe I'll rent a car instead! Just kidding!
        sigpic

Comment

Morning all One last busy-ish day yesterday (was singing in a concert so had rehearsals and things) and now I'm properly on holiday. Epic sleep last night in consequence!

Congrats on the new apartment MoB and new car Laurie!

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
          *smokes some broccoli*

If you're interested, here is another article about Primeval:New World, which mentions Martin...

http://www.impactonline.co/features/...t-an-evolution
          Thanks for sharing! Hehe, nekkid dinosaurs
          sigpic
          Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Congrats on the new car Laurie

Originally posted by josiane View Post
            Morning all One last busy-ish day yesterday (was singing in a concert so had rehearsals and things) and now I'm properly on holiday. Epic sleep last night in consequence!
            My day was pretty busy too - a visit to Suz's new yard to meet all the horses and see Wrex and Mr T settled in, followed by lunch at Anderson's

Thanks for sharing! Hehe, nekkid dinosaurs
            Martin does seem to have caught the WooHoo penchant for nekkidness

Comment

Nice choice of car, Laurie! Enjoy it.

Nola- I don't think the couple who lives in the place now are pack rats. They were starting to pack to move. I actually thought it was quite neat!
              sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Hi Laurie, can't wait to see you and your new car. Not long to go now
                Wished I was able to watch "Watch"...nothing like watching episodes live on TV.
                Happy Easter everyone.

Silly question...Why do they say a lucky rabbit's foot...as it wasn't for the rabbit? And no I don't know the answer.
                sigpic Martin Rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by clairec007 View Post
                  Hi Laurie, can't wait to see you and your new car. Not long to go now
                  Wished I was able to watch "Watch"...nothing like watching episodes live on TV.
                  Happy Easter everyone.

Silly question...Why do they say a lucky rabbit's foot...as it wasn't for the rabbit? And no I don't know the answer.
                  Well apparently..........

The superstition is thought to be of Afro-American origin and is said to be one of the oldest in the world, as old as around 600 BC. It is assumed that this is a carry-on of rituals or talismans of an African tribe and may also be connected to the legends of the Br'er Rabbit (representing the black slave who used his wits to overcome situations and extract revenge on the white slave-owners)

Since rabbits live underground, they were also linked to darkness, witches, and the devil, but were considered to have protective powers against these evil forces. Also earlier on, only the left hind foot of the rabbit was considered lucky and it had to be rubbed to bring on good luck. The hind leg was considered lucky because when rabbits run, their hind feet go ahead of their front, although it is not clear as to why only the left hind foot was taken.

The ironic part here according to some historians is that although rabbits are slaughtered, it is the hare that is supposed be have supernatural powers. The hare has historically been both feared and revered and were sacred to the ancient Celts, who associated them with the moon as did the Chinese, Mexicans, American Indians and Egyptians, The hare also stood for peace, prosperity and good luck amongst the Chinese but was considered as omen if sighted, while for the North American Indians, the hare was a symbol of their savior as well as hero of the Dawn, father, guardian, creator, transformer and a trickster. Also the hare was considered a divinatory animal because they are born with their eyes open.

It is understandable though as to why the two are mistaken; it is not easy to differentiate between them, although hares are larger and have longer ears. Moreover, in many places a rabbit is easier to find than a hare.

Another reason for their widespread appeal may not be too much to do with luck but with another aspect that is considered equally important, especially for men, fertility. Since both rabbits and hares are fast breeders (a doe can produce 42 young ones a year), they are considered symbols of fertility, procreation, abundance, spring, good fortune, sexuality, lust & renewal and are thus said to bring good luck, many children and lots of prosperity. They are also considered emblems of love gods & goddesses such as Venus, Aphrodite, and Cupid and since the foot is believed in many cultures to be a phallic symbol, it was but natural to assume that the rabbit's foot has extraordinary powers.

An interesting story is that if a cross-eyed person kills a rabbit on a full moon night and if the rabbit's left hind foot is removed and carried in the left pocket, it is very lucky. Also if you dream about a rabbit's foot, it means that your life will change for the better and you will have more happiness and prosperity. It is also thought that a rabbit's foot will help avoid rheumatism and cramps. In some places, it was considered unlucky if a rabbit crossed the path, especially for a pregnant woman, as she would then miscarry, pregnant women would therefore carry a rabbit's foot as a preventive measure.

I still feel sorry for the rabbit

Comment

Thanks for the explanation Jumble...yikes 42 young ones a year!
                    sigpic Martin Rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by clairec007 View Post
                      Thanks for the explanation Jumble...yikes 42 young ones a year!
                      said to bring good luck, many children
                      Since when was having many children a good thing?

Comment

depends on your culture and economy. If you live in a agrarian society that requires a lot of labor to work the fields, it makes sense to have lots of children to serve as farm hands rather than hiring workers. Now in modern, post-industrial society where the family is the main unit of consumption rather than the main unit of production, this is exactly the opposite. More children just means more mouths to feed.

/economics-sociology lesson for today
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
                          *waves*

Kind of sporadically caught up. I hope I didn't miss anything while scrolling through the pic spams!

1- Sending your family lots of love, Nad.

2- Laurie- Glad to hear your hand is on the mend!

3- I have a new home! AND it has a guest room, so all woohoos are welcome to stay with me if ever you wish to visit the lovely city of Boston! It's in a great part of Cambridge and I have my own laundry which I a totally psyched about! Whee! You can see some pics on my Pinterest board, here. I'll update the board as I move and unpack and decorate. I also LJ'd about it more closely for those of you on that site.

Chag Sameach and Happy Easter!
                          Congrats on the new home.

Originally posted by llp View Post
                          Congrats on the new place MoB....it looks like it will be nice once you get your hand into it!

News of the day - Just bought a new 2012 LE Camry Hybrid - a really pretty blue color and it has a fancy GPS in it. Really nice car and drives really easy. Traded in my other one yesterday but it wasn't ready until today. Just picked it up and brought it home about an hour ago....then called my insurance company to change the policy. Only going to cost me another $68. Reading through the book to see how all the gadgets work and what gadgets it has!
                          Congrats on the new car.

The smell of cat throwup and not sure what else is always a good reason! Aired it out real good before I took it over for the trade-in. Oh and the alarm going off whenever it wants doesn't help either! Besides, I like BLUE!

First passenger will be Claire when I drive up to Vancouver to pick her up and bring her down to my place. Of course there will be a day or so in Vancouver for me first! Hmm, maybe I'll rent a car instead! Just kidding!
                          I'm sure you and Claire will have a great time!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Gosh 55 pages since I was last here! you've been a chatty bunch.

Just came in to say I might possibly sort of have a date with my neighbour... who I breifly told you all I fancied but didn't think I stood a chance with

*dances around*

Of course he may only want to be mates but that's still good So I'm in a good mood and wanted to share my giddyness.

*shares it out*
                            sigpic
                            ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ my fanfics ~ my twitter ~ teslen thread ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Comment

*hugs WooHoos*

Yay for the new home MoB!
                              Yay for the new car Laurie!
                              Yay for the neighbour Amy!
                              Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
                              Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                                Love that one Padme

Oh look, our little Broccoli is happy dancing for Wendy ..........
                                Look at him, dancing away

YAY for the new car!

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
                                *waves*

Kind of sporadically caught up. I hope I didn't miss anything while scrolling through the pic spams!

1- Sending your family lots of love, Nad.

2- Laurie- Glad to hear your hand is on the mend!

3- I have a new home! AND it has a guest room, so all woohoos are welcome to stay with me if ever you wish to visit the lovely city of Boston! It's in a great part of Cambridge and I have my own laundry which I a totally psyched about! Whee! You can see some pics on my Pinterest board, here. I'll update the board as I move and unpack and decorate. I also LJ'd about it more closely for those of you on that site.

Chag Sameach and Happy Easter!
                                Fantastic new place

Originally posted by lastrequest View Post
                                Gosh 55 pages since I was last here! you've been a chatty bunch.

Just came in to say I might possibly sort of have a date with my neighbour... who I breifly told you all I fancied but didn't think I stood a chance with

*dances around*

Of course he may only want to be mates but that's still good So I'm in a good mood and wanted to share my giddyness.

*shares it out*
                                Ooooh. Niiiice. WOO I hope that the possible date is an actual date.
                                sigpic
                                Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Working...
                                X