No announcement yet.

The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I just bought myself a nice new camera that I technically don't need, but wanted and could definitely afford. I am just so tired of lugging around my DSLR + additional telephoto lens to cons and such.

I feel a tiny bit guilty for the indulgence (chalk it up to the 18 months I was unemployed) so I think I might take a cue from Eh-T (and her watch story) and make a donation to S4K.

Comment

Hello all!

I'm making a new signature banner right now.
      sigpic
      ~the guitarists~

Comment

Originally posted by antoa View Post
        So I just bought myself a nice new camera that I technically don't need, but wanted and could definitely afford. I am just so tired of lugging around my DSLR + additional telephoto lens to cons and such.

I feel a tiny bit guilty for the indulgence (chalk it up to the 18 months I was unemployed) so I think I might take a cue from Eh-T (and her watch story) and make a donation to S4K.
        Said this in the Gabit thread as well--yay you!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Thank you everyone for the good luck and crossing of fingers! *huggles you all*

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
          WooHooo!!! *happy dances with Wendy and crosses fingers for the job* Just relax and be yourself - you'll ace it
          Well, I was myself, I was semi-relaxed, and we'll find out if I aced it! But it seemed to go well. I mean, one of the last things he said to me was that he was pleased he'd chased me up (since I'd missed it yesterday) because he'd known I would have been worth the wait... <---his words, not mine.

sigpic
          Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post

Well, I was myself, I was semi-relaxed, and we'll find out if I aced it! But it seemed to go well. I mean, one of the last things he said to me was that he was pleased he'd chased me up (since I'd missed it yesterday) because he'd known I would have been worth the wait... <---his words, not mine.

Sound like it went very well *keeps fingers firmly crossed* How long before you know?

Antoa, as far as cons are concerned a good, easily portable camera isn't an indulgence - it's a necessity

Comment

Sound like it went very well *keeps fingers firmly crossed* How long before you know?
              Thank you. *hugs*

They write to my store and will let me know. Considering, apparently, my mail gets lost at my store, I'm not sure. But he said it would be within a week. I'll have to keep an eye on it.
              sigpic
              Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Antoa, as far as cons are concerned a good, easily portable camera isn't an indulgence - it's a necessity
                Very true I have a good camera, but it is *far* from portable!

And since I won't have to carry around an extra lens, that's one less thing that I can possibly leave behind or lose

I got a spare battery and a high speed (class 10) 16GB memory card. I just need to find the right case. I would like one that doesn't necessarily look like a camera case, and be big enough (but not too big) to hold my wallet and phone so that it can double as a purse.

And I did make a small donation to S4K. I think I will set up a month contribution.

Comment

Thank you. *hugs*

They write to my store and will let me know. Considering, apparently, my mail gets lost at my store, I'm not sure. But he said it would be within a week. I'll have to keep an eye on it.
                  Maybe you should have a word with whoever receives/sorts the mail and ask them to make sure you get it

Very true I have a good camera, but it is *far* from portable!

And since I won't have to carry around an extra lens, that's one less thing that I can possibly leave behind or lose

I got a spare battery and a high speed (class 10) 16GB memory card. I just need to find the right case. I would like one that doesn't necessarily look like a camera case, and be big enough (but not too big) to hold my wallet and phone so that it can double as a purse.

And I did make a small donation to S4K. I think I will set up a month contribution.
                  It's a fine balance between a 'good' camera and a portable one. Fortunately, I woodn't know what to do with extra lenses etc, so I just went for a good quality point and shoot which takes really good pics - especially when somebody else is using it

Comment

In case anyone is interested, this is the camera I got.

Check out the zoom on it! It is almost 2 1/2 times the zoom of my telephoto lens and we are talking optical zoom, no crappy digital zoom! And the reviews say that it does well in low light. It even has the setting that I use most on my DSLR at conventions ("Shutter-Priority").

Comment

Maybe you should have a word with whoever receives/sorts the mail and ask them to make sure you get it
                      I'll bring it up, I wouldn't mind knowing where the letter from last week is... LOL.

Check out the zoom on it! It is almost 2 1/2 times the zoom of my telephoto lens and we are talking optical zoom, no crappy digital zoom! And the reviews say that it does well in low light. It even has the setting that I use most on my DSLR at conventions ("Shutter-Priority").
                      Looks amazing. I have to say, I'm not really camera-savvy. I often see the quality of photos you all produce at cons, such as Sarai's amazing pictures from AT5, and it's clear my camera is... pants.

I think if I were to get a new camera, it'd be a simple one like Jumble has, but only because I think I'd waste money on a DSLR, or other complicated ones, since I wouldn't be able to use them.
                      sigpic
                      Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

*stares*

Ohhh, I want one! That makes my poor old camera look obsolete!
                        sigpic
                        ~the guitarists~

Comment

Sweet! I have the Power Shot SX200 IS, which is a simpler version. Takes awesome pics and vids with no effort on my part I bought it in Vancouver during TSE, because the one I took with me produced very blurred pics of Martin.... no, not just because my hands were shaking

I'll bring it up, I wouldn't mind knowing where the letter from last week is... LOL.
                          Tell them about that and point out that the next letter is very important

Looks amazing. I have to say, I'm not really camera-savvy. I often see the quality of photos you all produce at cons, such as Sarai's amazing pictures from AT5, and it's clear my camera is... pants.

I think if I were to get a new camera, it'd be a simple one like Jumble has, but only because I think I'd waste money on a DSLR, or other complicated ones, since I wouldn't be able to use them.
                          My reasoning exactly

Comment

Very encouraging!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

I get some wonderful shots at conventions with my DSLR (Convention Gallery), but it's just too much for me to carry around now. I want to travel lighter.

Also, I really don't know how to use it very well and certainly not to it's full potential. I had lofty goals of learning when I got it, but I just don't have the time. I use trial and error and a lot of guessing.

The Canon XS40 HS is still considered a point and shoot (a mega-zoom!), but it has a lot of the functions of a DSLR.

Comment

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                                Very encouraging!
                                Thank you.

That bit does sound like a good thing. But in my head I'm thinking that, obviously, there are probably things that were brilliant about others who went for it - like, not having to move to go there - but we'll see. I'm cautiously optimistic. At least I've had the interview and will soon know whether to look for somewhere to live here or in Derby.

*crossing everything*

I get some wonderful shots at conventions with my DSLR (Convention Gallery), but it's just too much for me to carry around now. I want to travel lighter.

Also, I really don't know how to use it very well and certainly not to it's full potential. I had lofty goals of learning when I got it, but I just don't have the time. I use trial and error and a lot of guessing.

The Canon XS40 HS is still considered a point and shoot (a mega-zoom!), but it has a lot of the functions of a DSLR.
                                It does look pretty fantastic. I like point and shoot, I can do that. That's my skill level, it's pretty basic.

EDIT: Those pictures are amazing! So many. Wow.
                                Last edited by m_wendy_r; 29 March 2012, 03:12 PM.
                                sigpic
                                Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Working...
                                X