The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by josiane View Post
    I've lived in share houses a few times. A couple of years of uni, where it was basically fine because they were college-owned houses so we had a cleaner (Yeah I know, Oxford...) which took a lot of the potential stress points out of it. Then after uni I lived in one share house which was AWFUL and one which was fabulous. It really depends who you're living with, in my experience. I didn't like most of the people I lived with in the one I hated, and they were really bad with sharing the cleaning and chores and stressed over money a lot for the bills and whether everyone was paying their fair share, so I moved out about as soon as I could. The one that I really liked, by contrast, worked because the people I lived with were all lovely and relaxed - we all got on well, and were happy to pull our weight with the chores, and were relaxed and trusted each other about sharing and sorting out the money and things. In that house we really lived more like a family than anything else and it really worked well. So my advice would be that the most important thing to consider is the other housemates. If they live together already, find out how they deal with the shared things like chores and money and stuff. It's a real risk to go in with people you don't know; can be less of one if they're at the least friends of friends, but even then you don't really know how people are to live with until you actually do. And don't sign up to too long a contract initially (or make sure you can get out) so that if it does turn out to be a nightmare you're not trapped.

Hope that helps!
    *squishy hugs*

Thanks, Josi. That helps a great deal definitely. At least I have an idea of what questions to ask (I'll write them down) and what to look for. I would imagine that chores really are a big biting point since everybody hates them, but I just get on with it. When it was the three of us, that was the biggest source of tension for us.

sigpic
    Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
      *squishy hugs*

Thanks, Josi. That helps a great deal definitely. At least I have an idea of what questions to ask (I'll write them down) and what to look for. I would imagine that chores really are a big biting point since everybody hates them, but I just get on with it. When it was the three of us, that was the biggest source of tension for us.

Yep, definitely ask how they manage the chores, how they manage the bills, and how they manage food/the kitchen. Those are the areas that can cause the most tension. Other things worth looking out for (if you're going into an existing houseshare) would be to look at the general state of cleanliness in the communal areas - if it's messier or dirtier than you'd be happy with then that is probably a sign that the other housemates aren't going to do the chores as frequently as you might like and that would be stressful. Also look at how lived in the communal areas look - that can give you an idea of whether they live together fairly harmoniously, spending time together in the living room/kitchen, or whether they essentially live separate lives, just co-existing in the same house. Not that one or the other is necessarily a good or bad thing, but if you're expecting/wanting the opposite then that can also cause tensions.

Good luck!
      sigpic
      Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
        Today has not been nice, so I'm glad it's almost bed time. There was stress about moving, and where stuff is going & then there were arguments. It seems that no one can agree on anything. There was also an almost-car accident recently and it completely terrified me, and today was another almost! The one before was my dad was driving and he pulled out into a road & another car came speeding down and almost hit us. My dad had to quickly get us out the way. Today was something my dad thought was only small, but ever since the last one it's been in my head more so today was me reliving it and getting upset about it - probably should have done that when it happened maybe. But I was crying and there were no tears - like dry crying, very weird. The doctor thinks maybe blocked tear ducts - I know I mentioned having a problem with my eyes at the weekend to Jumble and Cags - and she gave me some new eyedrops to try. But if that doesn't work, I'll have to be referred to the hospital.

Edited because my phone made this really difficult to write so I quickly booted my computer up to fix my mistakes - I mixed up what I was saying.
        Originally posted by Estrela View Post
        Yes please. It looks like I'll be unemployed again soon.
        Originally posted by Bekki View Post
        *tiptoes in awkwardly* oh hi there, my name's Bekki...

I MISS YOU!!!

Um... So it's been a few months. I'm so sorry woohoos!! Life got in the way of life, you know how that happens? I'VE MISSED YOU!!!

MoB started playing words with friends with me a few days ago and the woohoo sun returned ! Thanks MoB! and then I was watching Sanctuary with the boy last night with some red wine and I thought - wine and Sanctuary? I must return!!!! So here I am it seems the most understated question ever, but what have I missed?
        Originally posted by Jumble View Post
        *huggles Wendy for sucky day* I feel your pain - I've just had confirmation that I've got the dreaded conjunctivitis , probably picked up from one of the kids I'm having trouble seeing clearly, so no partying for me for a day or two On the upside, I've just texted everyone to say I'm taking the week off so as to avoid spreading it further

*huggles Estrela for possible unemployment* -although it will be nice to see you around here more often

*squishy huggles Bekki* Good to see you back at last! Were your ears burning last week-end when we were talking about you?

*huggles Martin for looking Awesome with the beard*

Oh......... maybe I shouldn't be huggling anybody
        Hugs to all!

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Nearly missed it!

Edit: And I got it on a 69 post too! WooHooooood!!!

Comment

Wow, triple whammy there Jumble! WTG you!
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post
              We could just talk about Jumble without having her jump in to defend herself.

*off to find spam*
              And you couldn't find anything to say that I wood need to defend? You're slipping!

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post

I do suck at spam. I hope Jumble knows how much trouble this is...
              You don't suck, and I appreciate your efforts *hugs*

I actually fell alseep, thinking it wood be ages before the page got turned

In future I will have much more sympathy with the kids - these eyedrops sting, and my eyes are really sore

Comment

Wow, triple whammy there Jumble! WTG you!
                Awesome timing, huh? Thanks

On the subject of house-sharing - my advice wood be to try to avoid it if at all possible. No matter how well you get on with people it's still really hard when you're sharing - yes, I'm speaking from very bad experience Better to have a tiny place all to yourselves than share a bigger one with difficult people IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                  Awesome timing, huh? Thanks
                  See, it was fate. You fell asleep for exactly the right amount of time
                  sigpic

Comment

See, it was fate. You fell asleep for exactly the right amount of time
                    True!

But I'll have to rewatch 365 days when I'm less sleepy

Comment

"Good Morning everyone"! Congrats on your Double Whammy Jumble. I will send you Part I but obviously there is no rush at this moment. You shouldn't be reading anything that intently right now! Need to rest your eyes.

Love all the art work and pictures....great way to wake up in the morning!
                      sigpic

Comment

Have you guys been reading the very strange ways they are going to do some fund raising over on the GW Gabit forum......stripper shoes (worn by EH-T) and an oversized bra worn on the outside to be stuffed with $$$ (Neep would be ideal for that)! Going to be a very busy con in November!
                        Last edited by llp; 03 March 2012, 09:01 AM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Yes, there are some very wacky ideas - great, but wacky!
                          sigpic

Comment

Hi!!! I've already posted my Chevron pics on FB, but since I don't have all of you there, I'm gonna share with you my pic with Amanda

sigpic
                            My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Lovely pic Sil - Amanda gives Awesome hugs doesn't she?

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
                                Have you guys been reading the very strange ways they are going to do some fund raising over on the GW Gabit forum......stripper shoes (worn by EH-T) and an oversized bra worn on the outside to be stuffed with $$$ (Neep would be ideal for that)! Going to be a very busy con in November!
                                I have I just hope they keep it to the 'official' ones and spare us the constant badgering that we were subjected to by some overenthusiastic 'unofficial' people at AT5

Comment

Working...
                                X