X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sarai View Post
    Fugue

Spoiler:
    Excellent points and deconstruction. I think you've hit the nail on the head there - I'm not sure they really understood the point of a musical, the characters don't just sporadically burst into song for no reason, and they absolutely do not sing their normal dialogue to each other! If there is dialogue it falls within the course and rhythm of the song - i.e. In My Life - Les Miserables. As you say, this is why Jim's song worked so well, because it was a lovely father/daughter moment and it wasn't as if he was trying to speak to Helen, rather it was her own conscience helping her work through the diagnosis. I'm intrigued to see what Laurie means by her cryptic post that we'll see why Will is questioning Helen at the mid-season finale but I have to say rather than endear me to the character it just makes me dislike him even more! I know what you mean though, her arrogance, however well-meant her intentions are, is a fascinating aspect of her character. Part of me wonders if she was always like that, or has the 113-year break had something to do with OR was it an unintended side effect of the vampire blood along with long life? You only have to look at Tesla for an example!!
    Not really Fugue, more general on Magnus and Will and future speculation:
    Spoiler:

I think it's probably both. I think there's a theme of the de-humanising effect of what the Five did, and the dangers of the pursuit of scientific curiosity at any cost. All of them (well, Helen, John and Tesla) lost touch with humanity in various ways and we see that playing out in their actions throughout in different ways. I think Will is supposed to be there to throw that into relief, to show Helen where she loses sight of the Human in her focus on the Abnormal and her scientific investigations. The problem is that he doesn't really work because his character is so whiny and Helen is so badass heroic that you're always going to root for her rather than him. It's an intriguing problem that they set themselves with having a character like Helen as the lead. She has to combine elements of the more traditional lead character in order to carry the show, but at the same time that dilutes the Otherness which makes her so unusual.

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
    Fugue

Spoiler:
    I don't think they were trying to do a 'Musical' (in the generally accepted form of the genre) as such - what they said about the ep was that it wood be a 'musical ep', as in people wood be singing.

I did laugh when, on figuring out that Abby could only understand certain frequencies (I think), Magnus' comment was "Of course!" like it should have been obvious all along
    Fugue
    Spoiler:
    Indeed, and I think that was the problem. They'd have been better to have either gone for it full-out, used the conceit they'd given themselves as an excuse to do a musical, or not done it at all, IMO.
    sigpic
    Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post

Fugue
      Spoiler:
      Indeed, and I think that was the problem. They'd have been better to have either gone for it full-out, used the conceit they'd given themselves as an excuse to do a musical, or not done it at all, IMO.
      Fugue

Spoiler:
      I have to disagree. They did what the intended to do in order to meet the needs of the story. I think the use of the word 'musical' was misunderstood by most fans, who, due to all the 'musical' hype, were expecting it to be a Musical - which I don't think was the intention.

And I can't believe I'm defending an ep that I disliked so much
      Last edited by Jumble; 27 November 2011, 04:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
        Fugue

Spoiler:
        I have to disagree. They did what the intended to do in order to meet the needs of the story. I think the use of the word 'musical' was misunderstood by most fans, who, due to all the 'musical' hype, were expecting it to be a Musical - which I don't think was the intention.

I can't believe I'm defending an ep that I disliked so much
        Spoiler:
        No, I agree with you, if they were intending to do an episode which had some musical elements in it then yes that is what they did. I just don't agree with their intention, because personally I don't think that kind of halfway, using songs instead of speaking because their plot point demands it, really works. Hence I think they'd have been better to do a musical or just not have the plot point at all. I mean, why was it narratively essential for Abby to lose the ability to understand non-musical frequencies? Just so you have to have singing? I guess I just feel if you're going to introduce a musical element, then go for it full out. I just dont't think it's the kind of thing that works if you try to keep it too real, as they (mostly) did.
        sigpic
        Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
          Spoiler:
          No, I agree with you, if they were intending to do an episode which had some musical elements in it then yes that is what they did. I just don't agree with their intention, because personally I don't think that kind of halfway, using songs instead of speaking because their plot point demands it, really works. Hence I think they'd have been better to do a musical or just not have the plot point at all. I mean, why was it narratively essential for Abby to lose the ability to understand non-musical frequencies? Just so you have to have singing? I guess I just feel if you're going to introduce a musical element, then go for it full out. I just dont't think it's the kind of thing that works if you try to keep it too real, as they (mostly) did.
          Fugue

Spoiler:
          But for me the plot point did work - I liked the storyline, just not the actual singing - except for the scene with Magnus Snr, which was Awesome and fitted perfectly. My feeling was that Helen was concentrating so hard on solving the problem that she was literally 'thinking' in music - hence the scene with the monitors, which some people felt was out of place. I felt she was so into the 'music-speak' concept that when she found herself being bombarded with questions/problems from all directions, she slipped naturally into it.

And you have to remember - this is Sanctuary, they just love to do things differently and push the envelope. Look how much discussion has arisen from this and from the Monsoon kiss

Comment

*hugs WooHoos*

WooHood on the Big '69 Nola!

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post

I will look at getting a picture for you guys
            Yay!

*runs after the tumbleweed*

Nekkid.
            Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
            Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

In reference to the comments I made in the spoiler - another spoiler!

Spoiler:
              I referenced the last scene of the last episode of S4 only because I heard Amanda talk about it (but not give up anything) and how it will explain everything she is doing, especially the "conflicts" between her and Will. I have no idea what she meant about that either and will have to wait with the rest of you to find out!

And another reference to Fugue:

Spoiler:
              I curious, does anyone agree with me about Henry or am I the only one that thinks his singing wasn't what it should have been???? And as mentioned before...Jim Byrnes singing was amazing....the best scene in this episode. And I also enjoyed the humor of the teleconference. I think it was also brought on from exhaustion. Neither she nor Will had slept very much, remember. Exhaustion can bring on strange delusions!

And Jumble, you are right. This season has brought on more discussion then any of the seasons so far. I will agree with Amanda as she has said, each season they stretch and do more trying to top the season before. So far - a definate YES!
              sigpic

Comment

Fugue

Spoiler:
                I agree that it wasn't Ryan's best performance - maybe acappella just doesn't suit him that well. Having said that, it was still better than Will's efforts IMO.

Comment

Making a final call for Sekrit Santa!

If you haven't signed up and want to do so, you'll have until somewhere tomorrow!
                  (I know, I know... I had a busy week )

Just answer the following questions and PM them to me

Name:
                  TV Shows:
                  Characters/pairings:
                  Colours:
                  PTB:
                  Music/Lyrics:
                  Guilty pleasures:
                  Special requests/No no’s:
                  Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
                  Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

Finally watched Fugue

Spoiler:

I actually liked the concept, though it wasn't a musical, per se, as Josi indicated.

Pascale is clearly a good singer, but the music was so over sanitized that it was hard to really hear the what the singers were actually doing. It's one of my huge pet-peeves with recorded music today.

I feel like RyRo and Jim Byrnes were the only ones who escaped the autotune. I actually loved RyRo's piece. It was tiny and emotional and real. JB had his scratchy-bluesy thing going on which was great. But everyone else was highly texturized and processed and didn't sound authentic to me at all. JMHO.

As for the medical stuff. Oh. EM. Gee. This show. *shakes head* They realize that Abby would never have survived that wound the way they went about treating it, right? Maybe if Magnus and Biggie were rapidly cauterizing th wound while Declan and someone else ran the code, but that kind of trauma requires a team. In that environment, Abby would have bled to death before the paddles even charged.

Those are my tired thoughts.
                    sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Good afternoon WooHoos!

Just finished a wonderful late lunch - pot roast beef with carrots and tiny red potatoes, yummy! Sunday in the fall is great. It's too hot in the summer to have the oven going all afternoon, so it's nice when the weather cools and the comfort foods start getting made.

Today's bits:

and one just for Tjinta...
                      sigpic

Comment

Since I have actually managed to see Fugue (large chunks of it anyway - in between interruptions... err... now need to go back and watch the rest in order but this one intrigued me)

Fugue spoilers
                        Spoiler:

I get the plot device of having to sing to Abby to get her to understand them. But, if that's the case and if they're playing it straight - so to speak - where's the flipping orchestra hiding?

And see that's my biggest problem with the way they used the musical aspect of it. I too would rather they had done an all out musical. Or, if they'd just had the singing with no instrumental accompaniment. I think it TV shows have to play it dead straight (like having Voda Shepard playing in Ally McBeal so the singing had a purpose and was real singing) or they have to make it complete fantasy/musical (a la Buffy Once More With Feeling) and this kind of goes the first route but has fantasy musicians playing along from nowhere which just confuses. I suppose you could just say that's the episode score but it's too in synch with the "lyrics" to really work like that for me. I just felt a bit confused and at one point was wondering if it was Abby's fantasy about what they were doing while she was laid up or whatever. I kind of hoped it was.

On the shockingly bad medical accuracy... meh, so used to that in sci fi. *cough*Entity*cough*. Actually, miraculous recoveries from certain death is not the only similarity (body being taken over by an alien/other entity anyone?) Although I don't recall Teal'c ever breaking into song.
                        There are only so many themes you can explore though, and it's not what you explore but how you tell the story that counts. On the whole, the Sanctuary team tell their stories in a fairly individual and entertaining way.

I get the feeling I probably didn't watch the best episode of S4 to start our with but, you know, fair play to them for doing something outside the box. I have seen far worse attempts at the musical thing and I'd say at least half of what's on tv is worse that Sanctuary on a bad day anyway.

sigpic

Comment

Cags - you are so right!
                          sigpic

Comment

*runs in*

*collapses*

*cuddles*
                            sigpic

Comment

What have you been up to Bekki? *gives drinkies to revive*
                              sigpic

Comment

Finally saw Fugue and could go on this thread again (made myself not go in here because I know I can't resist the spoiler button and didn't want to be spoiled before hand)

So...Fugue
                                Spoiler:
                                I wasn't excited before I tbe episode and wasn't excited afterwards either. I didn't like the singing and it just felt weird. The voices were better than expected, but I'm sorry to say the acting with the singing was just weird.

I noticed that they weren't really singing it and that it was recorded later on( I think) and you really noticed that. It really annoyed me!

Not my type of episode...hopefully better next week.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X