Aaaand that's a definite no from me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarai View Post
      Just finished Fugue...

Spoiler:
      Aaaand that's a definite no from me.
      Fugue

Spoiler:
      I thought the concept of the story was good, just wish they'd found a way to do it with musical notes rather than singing

I was surprised they did a copy of Alien - and honestly, after the amount of damage Abby suffered there's no way she wood be sitting up chatting soon after

Jim has an Awesome voice - loved that part

Comment

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
        Fugue

Spoiler:
        I thought the concept of the story was good, just wish they'd found a way to do it with musical notes rather than singing

I was surprised they did a copy of Alien - and honestly, after the amount of damage Abby suffered there's no way she wood be sitting up chatting soon after

Jim has an Awesome voice - loved that part
        Fugue

Spoiler:
        I'll be honest, the whole abnormal virus/entity thing turning a character into something else is really starting to wear a bit thin with me. Same old, same old

And good grief, that was a serious wound there, I don't profess to be a medical expert but she would be in intensive care for weeks with that sort of thing, surely?! I mean you can only take artistic licence so far.

I still can't stand Will, never liked the character and I don't think I ever will. It's like Nad said, there's nothing that seems to get him away from this whiny teenage girl thing he's got going on. Really after 4 years in the show and all they've been through together the way he flipped off the handle at Magnus was totally ridiculous.

The two things I did like: Jim (amazing!) and the actress that plays Abby - her singing was fantastic.

Still, you win some, you lose some. Musical episodes are always extremely dodgy territory.

Comment

Fugue

Can I just randomly say that I loved

Spoiler:
          the ''I love MONEY''. -part?

That really does crack me up and I'm not even sure why.
          Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
          Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

If this is the only ep in S4 that I don't like, I'm happy

Comment

Jumble - just an FYI to make you feel better - Miss Piggy is probably second only to Kermit the Frog in Muppet hierarchy so consider this: you rank girl!

Today's bits:

sigpic

Comment

All right...I give....who in the hell is Janice and why are we celebrating Muppets???

Spoiler:
                What surprise me most in this episode is that I didn't like the way Henry sounded. I liked his singing at TSE, but then he had a guitar.....I guess he needs that to sound good or this just isn't his type of music or both! And as for Will, Amanda said they are planning a few times where he disagrees with her and all will be revealed in the last scene of the last episode of this season....which means fairly soon. 2 episodes next week! The place where Jim sang as Amanda sat there - he has such a great voice and they had him sing a song the was perfect for him. And as I said before, Pascale has a great (opera-trained) voice! I liked most of the episode, only wish they had Biggie...would have loved to hear him sing.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
                  All right...I give....who in the hell is Janice and why are we celebrating Muppets???
                  Once a month Gateworld has a theme weekend. This month it's the Muppets in honor of the new Muppets movie coming out. Janice is the lead guitar player on Electric Mayhem on the Muppet show
                  sigpic

Comment

Have not yet seen Fugue, but looking forward to watching, most likely Monday thanks to work etc. Not surprised that the reviews are mixed.

Thanks for all the encouragement, y'all. Sorry I'm spending so much time thinking of my own situ. Many hugs to all who need them.

Xo
                    sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

I realize I posted just two hours ago, but I just looked and this is my 69 post so of course I had to come here to post it!
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                        Jumble - just an FYI to make you feel better - Miss Piggy is probably second only to Kermit the Frog in Muppet hierarchy so consider this: you rank girl!
                        Unfortunately, Miss Piggy is the muppet that I always hated the most. So rude!

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
                        Have not yet seen Fugue, but looking forward to watching, most likely Monday thanks to work etc. Not surprised that the reviews are mixed.

Thanks for all the encouragement, y'all. Sorry I'm spending so much time thinking of my own situ. Many hugs to all who need them.

Xo
                        *huggles MoB* Don't apologise, we're all here for you crossing our fingers that you'll find the right solution

Comment

I lost a day... seriously. Okay, not literally, but yesterday went so quickly that I didn't even realise I hadn't even been on my computer or replied to anything until now. Whoops.

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                          Woohoo, well done on the car Wendy! What did you get? More importantly, what colour is it and what are you going to name it?
                          (For the record, my first car was called Monty and he was black).
                          Vauxhall Corsa, Blue. And I named him Toby!

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post

Can we see it?
                          (No, I did not mean ''is it invisible'', I was hinting at a picture... )

I will look at getting a picture for you guys

*avoiding Sanctuary spoilers...*

*huggles all WooHoos*
                          sigpic
                          Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Fugue:

Spoiler:
                            Fugue

Hmm. IMO, they fell into the trap of so many musical episodes, where they essentially replaced dialogue with singing. This results in a lot of recitative type songs, which don't really work as conversation has a different rhythm and you end up with rather weak tunes. Actual musicals use songs as illustration and illumination - characters sing about their emotions, not so much to communicate. It's why Buffy did it so well, because the songs (mostly) fulfilled this purpose (and their conceit specifically allowed for it). Here the reason for the singing was communication, and therefore they didn't really give themselves room to do it properly. They kind of got there eventually with the song on the parapet. The best ones were where they broke their own conceit - the video conference song, which was fun and better than all the talking-to-Abby ones, although it didn't make sense narratively - they weren't suffering from the inability to understand normal speech, so there was no in-universe reason for them to break into song there. The best musical interlude by far was the scene with Magnus's dad - I thought that was really lovely, and it worked exactly as a song in a musical should.

I guess I kind of wish they'd either actually gone for it more or not bothered at all. It wasn't a musical, it was an episode where they had to sing some of their dialogue, but then randomly did have a couple of proper musical scenes. A half way house, neither one thing or the other, and ended up feeling a bit pointless.

Plus I agree with Sarai, I'm over the entity-taking-over-your-body storyline. As they even said themselves, they've done it twice with Will, so enough already!

On the positive side, I do like episodes where we (and Will) are confronted with Magnus's arrogant/less human-emotion-sensitive side. I think that's one of the most interesting aspects of her character, and it's good to be reminded that she just thinks differently. I still don't get why she's so impressed with Will though.
                            sigpic
                            Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                              Fugue:

Spoiler:
                              Fugue

Hmm. IMO, they fell into the trap of so many musical episodes, where they essentially replaced dialogue with singing. This results in a lot of recitative type songs, which don't really work as conversation has a different rhythm and you end up with rather weak tunes. Actual musicals use songs as illustration and illumination - characters sing about their emotions, not so much to communicate. It's why Buffy did it so well, because the songs (mostly) fulfilled this purpose (and their conceit specifically allowed for it). Here the reason for the singing was communication, and therefore they didn't really give themselves room to do it properly. They kind of got there eventually with the song on the parapet. The best ones were where they broke their own conceit - the video conference song, which was fun and better than all the talking-to-Abby ones, although it didn't make sense narratively - they weren't suffering from the inability to understand normal speech, so there was no in-universe reason for them to break into song there. The best musical interlude by far was the scene with Magnus's dad - I thought that was really lovely, and it worked exactly as a song in a musical should.

I guess I kind of wish they'd either actually gone for it more or not bothered at all. It wasn't a musical, it was an episode where they had to sing some of their dialogue, but then randomly did have a couple of proper musical scenes. A half way house, neither one thing or the other, and ended up feeling a bit pointless.

Plus I agree with Sarai, I'm over the entity-taking-over-your-body storyline. As they even said themselves, they've done it twice with Will, so enough already!

On the positive side, I do like episodes where we (and Will) are confronted with Magnus's arrogant/less human-emotion-sensitive side. I think that's one of the most interesting aspects of her character, and it's good to be reminded that she just thinks differently. I still don't get why she's so impressed with Will though.
                              Fugue

Spoiler:
                              Excellent points and deconstruction. I think you've hit the nail on the head there - I'm not sure they really understood the point of a musical, the characters don't just sporadically burst into song for no reason, and they absolutely do not sing their normal dialogue to each other! If there is dialogue it falls within the course and rhythm of the song - i.e. In My Life - Les Miserables. As you say, this is why Jim's song worked so well, because it was a lovely father/daughter moment and it wasn't as if he was trying to speak to Helen, rather it was her own conscience helping her work through the diagnosis. I'm intrigued to see what Laurie means by her cryptic post that we'll see why Will is questioning Helen at the mid-season finale but I have to say rather than endear me to the character it just makes me dislike him even more! I know what you mean though, her arrogance, however well-meant her intentions are, is a fascinating aspect of her character. Part of me wonders if she was always like that, or has the 113-year break had something to do with OR was it an unintended side effect of the vampire blood along with long life? You only have to look at Tesla for an example!!

Comment

Fugue

Spoiler:
                                I don't think they were trying to do a 'Musical' (in the generally accepted form of the genre) as such - what they said about the ep was that it wood be a 'musical ep', as in people wood be singing.

I did laugh when, on figuring out that Abby could only understand certain frequencies (I think), Magnus' comment was "Of course!" like it should have been obvious all along

Comment

Working...
                                X