The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved FK&C too!

*huggles John* He is all mine! Mwahahaha!!
    sigpic
    Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Originally posted by Sarai View Post
      Yay!!

*huggles Tesla*

*huggles TPTB*

*huggles FKaC*

is it weird to hug an episode?!

No, hug the epic episode
      sigpic
      Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

My review snerched from my LJ:

Spoiler:
        On the geeky note... this week's Sanctuary FTW! "For King and Country" finally gave us the background we've been waiting for.

Loved the back-story for the five. Finally! Of course, they really should have used a filter during the Oxford flashbacks. I didn't buy a single one of those actors as twenty-something. Even AT, who looks great for her age, looked very much her age during those scenes. I actually have noticed that she seems way skinnier during these episodes than she does during the publicity events she's done since after they filmed the first 10 eps. I think she looks significantly younger *now.* It will be interesting to see if this changes the way she looks in the back 10 whenever SyFy sees fit to air them, or if it's just that HD just makes it so that you can't hide age anymore. I'm guessing the former.

My big problems with the episode were the 'bad medicine' portions. Surely someone on the staff has a friend/family member who is a nurse or doctor who can help them with this stuff? I mean, bad CPR on TV I totally get, but there is really no excuse for the mistakes they made (and have made before and will likely keep making!) Writer-friends have called or emailed me to get birth right when writing it. I can't imagine that they have no friends like that in Sanctuary-land.

Bad medicine:
        1. Helen wearing a long-sleeved t-shirt under her scrubs while scrubbing into the OR? No way.

2. The whole injecting into veins they do in this show. And not only did she do it on both John and Imogen, she did it twice into the same vein with John. a. She should have been giving John IM injections and b. once you inject into or draw blood from a vein you have to find another one because that one collapses temporarily. There is a reason why junkies have needle marks all over their body and not just in the antecubital vein.

3. John's IV in the infirmary appeared to be pointing in the wrong direction. IV cannulas need to be pointed towards the heart, not the fingers to get the fluids/meds into circulation quickly. *sigh*

Other things I loved:
        1. Helen wrapping herself in John's arms while he slept in Cambodia. I don't ship anyone on this show, but OMG this was so beautiful.

2. Adam to Will: "Who said you could play with men. You are a child."

3. Will: "Poe?" Adam: "Now there's a whack-job.

4. The look of the Victorian and Edwardian era scenes. Gorgeous. And the costumes? To die for.

5. SO glad that Druitt is back both in the present and flashbacks. Great to see Watson in the flashbacks, I hope they expand more.

6. So looking forward to the venture to Hollow Earth.
        sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post

Spoiler:
          On the geeky note... this week's Sanctuary FTW! "For King and Country" finally gave us the background we've been waiting for.

Loved the back-story for the five. Finally! Of course, they really should have used a filter during the Oxford flashbacks. I didn't buy a single one of those actors as twenty-something. Even AT, who looks great for her age, looked very much her age during those scenes. I actually have noticed that she seems way skinnier during these episodes than she does during the publicity events she's done since after they filmed the first 10 eps. I think she looks significantly younger *now.* It will be interesting to see if this changes the way she looks in the back 10 whenever SyFy sees fit to air them, or if it's just that HD just makes it so that you can't hide age anymore. I'm guessing the former.

My big problems with the episode were the 'bad medicine' portions. Surely someone on the staff has a friend/family member who is a nurse or doctor who can help them with this stuff? I mean, bad CPR on TV I totally get, but there is really no excuse for the mistakes they made (and have made before and will likely keep making!) Writer-friends have called or emailed me to get birth right when writing it. I can't imagine that they have no friends like that in Sanctuary-land.

Bad medicine:
          1. Helen wearing a long-sleeved t-shirt under her scrubs while scrubbing into the OR? No way.

2. The whole injecting into veins they do in this show. And not only did she do it on both John and Imogen, she did it twice into the same vein with John. a. She should have been giving John IM injections and b. once you inject into or draw blood from a vein you have to find another one because that one collapses temporarily. There is a reason why junkies have needle marks all over their body and not just in the antecubital vein.

3. John's IV in the infirmary appeared to be pointing in the wrong direction. IV cannulas need to be pointed towards the heart, not the fingers to get the fluids/meds into circulation quickly. *sigh*

Other things I loved:
          1. Helen wrapping herself in John's arms while he slept in Cambodia. I don't ship anyone on this show, but OMG this was so beautiful.

4. The look of the Victorian and Edwardian era scenes. Gorgeous. And the costumes? To die for.

5. SO glad that Druitt is back both in the present and flashbacks. Great to see Watson in the flashbacks, I hope they expand more.

Hmm...

Spoiler:
          I can understand your quibbles about the medical stuff, but I'm guessing that the vast majority of people woodn't notice or know it was wrong - I certainly didn't. Not that that's any excuse for them not getting it right

I doubt any kind of filters wood help them make 30/40 year olds look teen/early 20s.

I thought Amanda was very skinny at SE

Loved when Henry asked Tesla "Is it dangerous?" and Tesla replied something like "Oh yes, definitely!" Anything to do with Tesla is dangerous

Yes, great to see them all back in one ep Hopefully we'll get more of that over this arc.

Comment

FKaC
            Spoiler:
            Yep, loved it too And I loved the Oxford bits too - unsurprisingly I'm always intrigued by that bit of backstory Looked an awful lot like All Souls College to me

Which is a weird college with no actual students, just academics and a few graduates who win way competitive scholarships after coming top in their final exams. They also ritually re-enact chasing a duck round the college every hundred years (next due, 2101). The Woohoos aren't the only crazies in the world
            sigpic
            Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post

Spoiler:

Bad medicine:

Other things I loved:

Spoiler:
              I'm with you on the medical stuff. Don't get me wrong, I know next to nothing about correct procedures and how to draw blood but I do agree that when any technical or medical information/acting is required, a consultant should be brought in. Especially since the Helen character is supposed to be a qualified doctor and surgeon.

And to echo Jumble, Amanda was very skinny at SE . Much skinnier than I expected her to be. But to be honest, if I hadn't seen her in person I woodn't have thought so based on the eps in season 3 so far.

I LOVE anything to do with Tesla and this ep was AWESOME! I need to screencap that moustache in the flashback...classic!

And I'm with you on Helen/John, I don't really ship them per se, but that scene was just heartbreaking.

*happy Sanctuary sigh*

p.s. it's so nice to be all caught up with you guys!!

EDIT: Just had to re-read the end of your post Josi - LMAO!!!

Comment

I'm sorry, Josi, did you say (Not a spoiler, but to save confusion)
                Spoiler:
                chasing a duck?
                My mind = boggled.
                sigpic
                Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                  FKaC
                  Spoiler:
                  Yep, loved it too And I loved the Oxford bits too - unsurprisingly I'm always intrigued by that bit of backstory Looked an awful lot like All Souls College to me

Which is a weird college with no actual students, just academics and a few graduates who win way competitive scholarships after coming top in their final exams. They also ritually re-enact chasing a duck round the college every hundred years (next due, 2101). The Woohoos aren't the only crazies in the world
                  Oh
                  Spoiler:
                  Why do they do that?

I loved that shot how it started from far and we ended up in the room with the Five. Looks like Lee has been taking lessons from Martin and Amanda on making grand mind-blowing scenes.

One thing I didn't like about this ep and one thing I did

Didn't like Will. There was a huge discussion about it in the ep thread about it so I won't go into it, but the guy gets on my nerves... and the season started off so well. Anyway.

Liked - John is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!! back back back! And Helen/John... *guh*
                  sigpic

Comment

Yep, looks like it to me Josiane

I was going to ask you if they'd got it right

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
                      Hmm...

Spoiler:
                      1. I can understand your quibbles about the medical stuff, but I'm guessing that the vast majority of people woodn't notice or know it was wrong - I certainly didn't. Not that that's any excuse for them not getting it right

2. I doubt any kind of filters wood help them make 30/40 year olds look teen/early 20s.

3. I thought Amanda was very skinny at SE

4. Loved when Henry asked Tesla "Is it dangerous?" and Tesla replied something like "Oh yes, definitely!" Anything to do with Tesla is dangerous

5. Yes, great to see them all back in one ep Hopefully we'll get more of that over this arc.
                      Spoiler:

1. Given how conscious TPTB are of how detail oriented scifi fans are, you'd think they'd get this right. Especially because on Stargate (SG1 anyhow) the medicine was relatively good, with a sci-fi twist, of course. Since TPTB are all SG alums, you'd think that would carry over. I know the Sanctuary world is slightly AU, but I doubt it is so AU that basic human physiology is completely different. I'm willing to cut some slack for the AU stuff, BUT I can't tell you how many medical-types love sci-fi--- a HUGE number of the people I work with.

2. I have no idea how old CH is, but the rest of those actors are mid-40s. They needed to be filtered.

3. Of course she's skinny as a TV actor, but I think she looks even skinnier in these eps than she did in photos taken later, and that really shows up in her face. JMHO of course. And doesn't make me admire her any less!

4. Haha! Yes! Love the geekouts between Henry and Tesla!

5. For sure.
                      sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

A few quibbles of my own on S3...

Spoiler:
                        With regards to what we were talking about about lack of research, along the same vein to me wood be properly researching what places (in general, but in this case the UK) actually look like!! I'm referring particularly to Animus here - where Will and Henry take a little holiday to Oldham, near Manchester just over the Pennines (from me anyway ). Has anyone on the crew actually researched Oldham?! It's not exactly the nicest place in the country and there's not a huge amount of green space!

There are quite a few places in the UK that do look like where Will and Henry actually were, so take a little longer, research on Google and say it's there instead. Getting past that, there's also the mention of Guiness and the characters making out like it's the national drink. Which it is, if you're in Ireland. Bizarre.

Don't get me wrong, I love the shows and this is all just IMO, but I do wish they wood take a little extra care and do some research before making these kinds of decisions.

And that refers to all aspects of research surrounding topics on the show, not just locations.

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                          FKaC
                          Spoiler:

Spoiler:
                          Totally looks like it to me! Good call.

Spoiler:
                          I'm with you on the medical stuff. Don't get me wrong, I know next to nothing about correct procedures and how to draw blood but I do agree that when any technical or medical information/acting is required, a consultant should be brought in. Especially since the Helen character is supposed to be a qualified doctor and surgeon.

And to echo Jumble, Amanda was very skinny at SE . Much skinnier than I expected her to be. But to be honest, if I hadn't seen her in person I woodn't have thought so based on the eps in season 3 so far.

I LOVE anything to do with Tesla and this ep was AWESOME! I need to screencap that moustache in the flashback...classic!

And I'm with you on Helen/John, I don't really ship them per se, but that scene was just heartbreaking.

*happy Sanctuary sigh*

Spoiler:
                          Compare her now to season 2, then compare that to some recent publicity photos. You notice the difference mostly in her face. Though there may be a little more T&A going on now too. (did I really just write that?? )

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                          Oh
                          Spoiler:
                          Why do they do that?

I loved that shot how it started from far and we ended up in the room with the Five. Looks like Lee has been taking lessons from Martin and Amanda on making grand mind-blowing scenes.

One thing I didn't like about this ep and one thing I did

Didn't like Will. There was a huge discussion about it in the ep thread about it so I won't go into it, but the guy gets on my nerves... and the season started off so well. Anyway.

Liked - John is baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!!! back back back! And Helen/John... *guh*
                          Spoiler:
                          I'm with you on Will. *shudder* Makes me want to slap him and his holier-than-thou-attitude.

So happy he's back to and hope beyond hope that they don't 'cure' him in the lost city.

sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

*happy Sanctuary sigh*

EDIT: Just had to re-read the end of your post Josi - LMAO!!!
                            Save yourself the trouble of screen-capping - go here

Comment

Spoiler:
                              With regards to what we were talking about about lack of research, along the same vein to me wood be properly researching what places (in general, but in this case the UK) actually look like!! I'm referring particularly to Animus here - where Will and Henry take a little holiday to Oldham, near Manchester just over the Pennines (from me anyway ). Has anyone on the crew actually researched Oldham?! It's not exactly the nicest place in the country and there's not a huge amount of green space!

There are quite a few places in the UK that do look like where Will and Henry actually were, so take a little longer, research on Google and say it's there instead. Getting past that, there's also the mention of Guiness and the characters making out like it's the national drink. Which it is, if you're in Ireland. Bizarre.

Don't get me wrong, I love the shows and this is all just IMO, but I do wish they wood take a little extra care and do some research before making these kinds of decisions.

And that refers to all aspects of research surrounding topics on the show, not just locations.

Exactly.
                              sigpic

Comment

Spoiler:

Yep, I think we've all commented on their lack of geographical accuracy regarding the UK Maybe the Sanctuary PTB should do a UK tour and get to know the place better

Comment

Working...
                                X