The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by XFchemist View Post
    I've just read this news http://insidetv.ew.com/2010/11/23/ca...-with-beckett/ And my face is
    Sounds like a "fun" episode!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
      Totally agree. Not everyone here likes SGU, not everyone here likes Sanctuary. Each to their own and let the Advent Calendar reflect our choices and our freedom to make them
      - Don't like Sanctuary! How, why, hmmmmm!

Absolutely not! We don't want him getting conceited or anything
      Yes, I did substitute 'conceited' for 'a big head', because I know what you WooHoos are like
      hee hee

I don't dislike RD/Will, I just don't connect with him. Can't quite put my finger on why exactly
      - maybe because you are concentrating too much on.....no, couldn't be the reason!
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
        Actually I do hate the way he always calls Helen "Magnus". I mean Dr Magnus, sure, or just Helen but it's not the military and they're very much a little Sanctuary family by all accounts. Calling people by just their last name seems harsh and too formal. And maybe that's the crux of one of the (writing) issues with Will? It's particularly jarring because every time he says it it's normally kind of harsh and berating in tone. I dunno, do you get where I'm coming from? He just needs to soften up a little and smile more.
        Sorry to "disagree", but in a "man" thing. They call people only by their last name. I worked at a place where hardly anyone knew I had a first name. You just get use to it! if you have to! It is a way of being "personal" but not too personal. Hard to explain, but the women all called me by my first name as did the boss. But people I worked with, hardly ever. I think it also was a way of depersonalizing the fact that I was a "lady" doing a "man's" job. Some of them never could get past that. To me, it was just a job where I could get twice as much salary than if I took the "woman's" type of job in a similar field....but that is a story for another day!
        Last edited by llp; 24 November 2010, 09:32 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
          - Don't like Sanctuary! How, why, hmmmmm!
          I know, hard to imagine isn't it? Sad but true

hee hee

- maybe because you are concentrating too much on.....no, couldn't be the reason!
          Nope, that's not it, because we don't 'see' Martin in the eps....... at least, we haven't yet. But I will certainly be watching an upcoming ep very closely

Sorry to "disagree", but in a "man" thing. They call people only by their last name. I worked at a place where hardly anyone knew I had a first name. You just get use to it! if you have to! It is a way of being "personal" but not too personal. Hard to explain, but the women all called me by my first name as did the boss. But people I worked with, hardly ever. I think it also was a way of depersonalizing the fact that I was a "lady" doing a "man's" job. Some of them never could get past that. To me, it was just a job where I could get twice as much salary than if I took the "woman's" type of job in a similar field....but that is a story for another day!
          In this country it wood be considered very rude for a man (or woman for that matter) to call a woman by her surname only, except perhaps in the military. Although even there I believe it's more normal to call a person by their rank. I'm either 'Jumble' or 'Mrs Moore', I am definitely NOT 'Moore'! In some schools the surname only may be used for boys, but as far as I know never for girls

Comment

Spoiler:
            Originally posted by Jumble
            I also sometimes feel that Will considers himself to be a bit 'cleverer' than some of the others..... I detect a slightly 'superior' attitude sometimes, which I don't like in anyone and which none of the others have (well, except for Tesla, but he does it in such a way that it doesn't offend me). Maybe he needs to stand out a bit, being the only normal character........... I don't know

Yes, but Tesla is so over the edge, how can you not like him!

Originally posted by Cagranosalis
            See I think that supports the point it's at least partly in the writing, why Will ends up so unlikeable sometimes. I think Will is kind of the rational, normal one and sometimes he's the Voice Of Reason, or the one who asks all the "what about" or "What if" questions to provoke dialogue from other characters that provides us with the much needed "ah, oh, that's ok then...", and thus allows us to continue our suspension of disbelief so they can go off and do utterly daft things. If that makes sense.
            - True the voice of reason sometimes gets the least appreciation!

And CONGRATULATIONS for Baby Boy!
            sigpic

Comment

I know, hard to imagine isn't it? Sad but true

Nope, that's not it, because we don't 'see' Martin in the eps....... at least, we haven't yet. But I will certainly be watching an upcoming ep very closely

In this country it wood be considered very rude for a man (or woman for that matter) to call a woman by her surname only, except perhaps in the military. Although even there I believe it's more normal to call a person by their rank. I'm either 'Jumble' or 'Mrs Moore', I am definitely NOT 'Moore'! In some schools the surname only may be used for boys, but as far as I know never for girls
              Ah but the key words there were "In this country" - In the US, it isn't that odd. Doesn't mean I like it, but it does happen a lot more than elsewhere. Not sure about Canada!
              sigpic

Comment

Ah but the key words there were "In this country" - In the US, it isn't that odd. Doesn't mean I like it, but it does happen a lot more than elsewhere. Not sure about Canada!
                True, but I still think in the Sanctuary family Will calling her 'Magnus' is off. It doesn't feel right *shrugs*

Last night's Sanctuary ep was introduced on Watch as 'The groundbreaking US monster show, Sanctuary' Now that's insulting

I have to go out, catch you later

Comment

Maybe it's just a uni/student thing but I get called by my surname or surname-nickname all the time, I don't usually bother telling the freshers my first name, they're not going to use it. There are some of my friends - both girls and guys - I rarely call by their first names, and 1 I know I never have (although he is a guy)

*hides*
                  sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

I have never, ever run into such a thing. I work with sports reporters, and worked with machinists/maintainence men before that (manly men), and I was always "Mary." Always.
                    sigpic

Comment

It's probably a culture thing on the surnames. But I can go weeks and weeks without even hearing my last name. No one I knows refers to me with it. And, to me, using just a last name to speak to someone (especially a woman, for some reason) feels rude.

Since Helen Magnus is British, it's the probably the culture we should think about. Even if Will didn't see it as being rude, she would and I would've thought she would tell him so.

^ I hope that made SOME sense.

sigpic
                      Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by Aveo_amacus View Post
                        Maybe it's just a uni/student thing but I get called by my surname or surname-nickname all the time, I don't usually bother telling the freshers my first name, they're not going to use it. There are some of my friends - both girls and guys - I rarely call by their first names, and 1 I know I never have (although he is a guy)

*hides*
                        Interesting..... doesn't it bother you? I'd hate it

Originally posted by luvnjack View Post
                        I have never, ever run into such a thing. I work with sports reporters, and worked with machinists/maintainence men before that (manly men), and I was always "Mary." Always.
                        *hugs LJ* You sound as adamant and insulted about it as I am.

Comment

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
                          It's probably a culture thing on the surnames. But I can go weeks and weeks without even hearing my last name. No one I knows refers to me with it. And, to me, using just a last name to speak to someone (especially a woman, for some reason) feels rude.

Since Helen Magnus is British, it's the probably the culture we should think about. Even if Will didn't see it as being rude, she would and I would've thought she would tell him so.

^ I hope that made SOME sense.

Makes perfect sense to me It wood be the same, I feel, as Robin calling Amanda "Tapping", which I'm sure he never wood.

Jeez, how serious are we being today?

Time for a Martinpicspam methinks......

Comment

Interesting..... doesn't it bother you? I'd hate it

*hugs LJ* You sound as adamant and insulted about it as I am.
                            No doesn't bother me at all - they wouldn't do it otherwise - I even have it printed on my hoodie/shorts etc
                            some of the other girls on the squad are never called by their last names. To some degree it does follow the most common first names but not always
                            sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

I'm sure Nad wood agree with that
                              I wood!

Bank Job

Spoiler:
                              I think maybe part of why I didn't like it was that general 'offness' of all the characters, which sounds daft when you consider the situation they were in, but that's just me For me, Kate was back in her previous element and although she did a good job and was really to be expected to be the only one really comfortable with it, I guess I didn't like being reminded of what she used to be and to see her slip so easily back into that role

I also sometimes feel that Will considers himself to be a bit 'cleverer' than some of the others..... I detect a slightly 'superior' attitude sometimes, which I don't like in anyone and which none of the others have (well, except for Tesla, but he does it in such a way that it doesn't offend me). Maybe he needs to stand out a bit, being the only normal character........... I don't know

Got me seriously needing to figure it out now

See, now you're not taking me seriously
                              Let me just say this before I let this matter rest:
                              The success of a superiour attitude on TV lies in the preformance given by the actor.

He did it again!!!!

*huggles him*
                              Oh, look at that smiley face!

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
                              Yes, Will should call Helen 'Helen'. I agree wholeheartedly there.

I just got back from the NHS walk-in centre. Pulled the tendon in my ankle... when I was sitting at Jumble's kitchen table... She called it a "sports injury" For future reference, warm up properly before you watch any SG-1 (or any Stargate actually). I've got to rest it for 6 weeks (as best I can) and take anti-inflammatory medicine.
                              I'm glad I went today because I'm too stubborn... I would've just carried on forcing it to do stuff.

Edit: Yay Baby-boy!

And I think I've figured out what my advent ones are gonna be too. Resting means more time to play on PS, too
                              *hugs Wendy*
                              Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
                              Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

I love how it's Martin that breaks the serious

EDIT: *hugs back Nad*
                                sigpic
                                Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Working...
                                X