Clear All

@ Bree's slumber party pic

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
    Here's a link to the one I found:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/top100_2.shtml

Is there another one?

ooooh ... here's another one:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=664579

I'ved read 12 on the 2d list, started a couple of others (but didn't finish them), and saw two movies made from two other books.
    Hm. From the first list I've read

Thorn Birds, Colleen McCollough
    Mort, Terry Pratchett
    Guards! Guards!, Terry Pratchett
    Lord Of The Flies, William Golding
    Night Watch, Terry Pratchett

and from the second

The Lord of the Rings - JRR Tolkien
    The Hobbit - JRR Tolkien
    The Hitch Hiker’s Guide to the Galaxy - Douglas Adams
    Lord of the Flies - William Golding
    Dracula - Bram Stoker
    Watership Down - Richard Adams

I've never managed to get through any of the 'classics' (Jane Austen, Thomas Hardy, Dickens) because they bored me to death

I'm actually a prolific reader, but obviously not of the 'right' books

Comment

I'm not 100% convinced it matters what books you read, as long as you read !

Anyone have the link to the list? I'd like to have a look after work.

And just because I need something to pick me up this early on a Monday morning...

*strips and runs through thread...nekkid*

Comment

Bit cold for the nekkid running isn't it Sarai?

The lists I was looking at are the ones I've quoted ^^^

Comment

Hmm, definitely more than one list, since the one I read didn't have any Pratchett on it, which surprised the heck out of me since the BBC do, normally, recognise his genius.

Given that it's on the BBC official site list I'll disregard my original count and go recheck the one on the offical BBC site which hedwig posted:

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
          Here's a link to the one I found:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/bigread/top100_2.shtml
          I'd say that's the one that counts. The rest are all other people's interpretations of the list IMO.

Actually the official BBC list makes much more sense since it's based on public feedback and has more relevance to contemporary reading habits including the breakdown of class barriers.* I take it back BBC; you're not up your own bums after all... ok, well, yes you are but that's an entirely other point. Over the book thing you've deferred to popular opinion. Now if you could just defer to other popular opinion and stop wasting taxpayers money on half the rubbish you chrun out these days, that'd be nice I can't be the only one who thinks Eastenders is such a waste of space, surely.

*Wonders if that's too serious for GW? **

** Wonders if these footnotes are too Pratchett-like to get away with.

So my revised-to-the-official list is:

Spoiler:
          1. The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien
          2. Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen
          4. The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Douglas Adams
          5. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, JK Rowling
          6. To Kill a Mockingbird, Harper Lee
          7. Winnie the Pooh, AA Milne
          8. Nineteen Eighty-Four, George Orwell
          9. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, CS Lewis
          10. Jane Eyre, Charlotte Brontë
          12. Wuthering Heights, Emily Brontë
          16. The Wind in the Willows, Kenneth Grahame
          17. Great Expectations, Charles Dickens
          18. Little Women, Louisa May Alcott
          22. Harry Potter And The Philosopher's Stone, JK Rowling
          23. Harry Potter And The Chamber Of Secrets, JK Rowling
          24. Harry Potter And The Prisoner Of Azkaban, JK Rowling
          25. The Hobbit, JRR Tolkien
          30. Alice's Adventures In Wonderland, Lewis Carroll
          34. David Copperfield, Charles Dickens
          35. Charlie And The Chocolate Factory, Roald Dahl
          36. Treasure Island, Robert Louis Stevenson
          39. Dune, Frank Herbert
          41. Anne Of Green Gables, LM Montgomery
          42. Watership Down, Richard Adams
          46. Animal Farm, George Orwell
          47. A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens
          51. The Secret Garden, Frances Hodgson Burnett
          53. The Stand, Stephen King
          56. The BFG, Roald Dahl
          58. Black Beauty, Anna Sewell
          64. The Thorn Birds, Colleen McCollough
          65. Mort, Terry Pratchett
          68. Good Omens, Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman
          69. Guards! Guards!, Terry Pratchett
          73. Night Watch, Terry Pratchett
          87. Brave New World, Aldous Huxley
          93. The Colour Of Magic, Terry Pratchett

Yeah... Jane Austen. See I got as far as P&P and gave up. Love the films/TV adaptations but the books; urgh, so hard to read. Then again, I've seen people say the same about Tolkien and I own everything he ever wrote. Different strokes and all that.

P.S. *cough cough, sniffle* Yeah. sick, as predicted. Hopefully not too bad though. Benjabubs is having a day off school. He's, er, not actually awake yet. Perhaps I should get his lazy bones out of bed?
          Last edited by Cagranosalis; 22 November 2010, 12:37 AM. Reason: Doh! No, I haven't read Tess of the D'Urbavilles!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post

Yeah... Jane Austen. See I got as far as P&P and gave up. Love the films/TV adaptations but the books; urgh, so hard to read. Then again, I've seen people say the same about Tolkien and I own everything he ever wrote. Different strokes and all that.
            Yep, totally agree. Except I don't like the films/TV adaptations either. But yes, horses for courses

P.S. *cough cough, sniffle* Yeah. sick, as predicted. Hopefully not too bad though. Benjabubs is having a day off school. He's, er, not actually awake yet. Perhaps I should get his lazy bones out of bed?
            No, leave him there!

Sorry to hear you're sick, but really glad it's not the same thing I had. Got a call last night to say my 3yr old had just been 'hugely sick' so woodn't be coming today. Little brother seemed ok, but I requested they keep him home too - no point in risking it spreading further.

Will be taking Wendy to the station in about an hour to wave her goodbye The week-end went by waaaaaay too fast.

We did top off last night by listening to Martin's End of Nights commentary

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
              Bit cold for the nekkid running isn't it Sarai?

The lists I was looking at are the ones I've quoted ^^^
              D'oh missed those links completely! Thanks .

And a new development - I have a fan heater under my desk at work now so definitely not too cold for nekkid running .
              Last edited by Sarai; 22 November 2010, 01:56 AM. Reason: Lol - nellie running? Predictive text...

Comment

*flails*

The time of No-Bekki-in-the-thread is OVER!!! I had moved out of my house and driven the delightful 25 hours back to Queensland for the summer! My time is free, my life is totally unburdened and I am ready to PLAY!!!

...I apologise for not catching up...there are umpteen pages...so...

WHAT HAVE I MISSED?

*huggles everyone*

*kisses Martin...on the cheek*
                sigpic

Comment

Wendy is on her way home Hope she has a good journey

Originally posted by Sarai View Post
                  D'oh missed those links completely! Thanks .
                  Thought you might have

And a new development - I have a fan heater under my desk at work now so definitely not too cold for nekkid running .
                  Oooooh! Lucky you! Cold feet are definitely no good for nekkid running

*grabs Bekki and major squishy huggles her* Glad to hear you'll have some time to play now. We miss you

I showed "Jumble's Martin Book" to Josiane and Wendy yesterday - they were very impressed with your awesome artistic efforts *huggles again*

So Nigel Havers couldn't hack it in the jungle, huh? Quelle surprise
                  Last edited by Jumble; 22 November 2010, 02:53 AM. Reason: Ooops! Wrong Bekki spelling :rolleyes:

Comment

*runs around nekkid*

*huggles woohoos* yes, I do that nekkid too

*runs out again because she is otherwise late for class*
                    sigpic

Comment

*huggles Jumblie*

*twirls through the thread*
                      sigpic

Comment

I've just obtained from my boss a day off on 24th December
                        ...but I have to work all the following week, 31st included! So I'll probably be soooo sleepy that evening
                        sigpic
                        My vids Sig made by me

Comment

*squishy huggles Bekki* Welcome back!
                          sigpic

Comment

Good morning all.....all though there is no one here to say hello to!

I woke up this am to snow. It must have just started because the ground isn't covered too much yet, but it is still falling. I love it. Sadly it won't stay. Probably be gone by Wednesday but it is beautiful to watch it fall and slowly cover the ground. Little early here, but I love to just stare out the window and watch it. A lot of traffic out there. I'm assuming people are leaving work and coming home. I live at sea level (well my apartment is on the 6th floor) but outside it's sea level. So if it's snowing here, it's snowing everywhere. This is an early Xmas gift for me....so thank!.... Too bad the merchants won't like it, but it will be gone soon. Suppose to warm up to the low 40's by Thanksgiving. BTW - the reason I love it so much is because I grew up where it snowed twice in about 50 years!

Oh and welcome back Bekki!

My next post will have to be special...it will be a "69" post!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
                              Good morning all.....all though there is no one here to say hello to!

I woke up this am to snow. It must have just started because the ground isn't covered too much yet, but it is still falling. I love it. Sadly it won't stay. Probably be gone by Wednesday but it is beautiful to watch it fall and slowly cover the ground. Little early here, but I love to just stare out the window and watch it. A lot of traffic out there. I'm assuming people are leaving work and coming home. I live at sea level (well my apartment is on the 6th floor) but outside it's sea level. So if it's snowing here, it's snowing everywhere. This is an early Xmas gift for me....so thank!.... Too bad the merchants won't like it, but it will be gone soon. Suppose to warm up to the low 40's by Thanksgiving. BTW - the reason I love it so much is because I grew up where it snowed twice in about 50 years!

Oh and welcome back Bekki!

My next post will have to be special...it will be a "69" post!
                              It snowed off and on all day here yesterday. It's coming down pretty heavily right now, in small flakes. It must have snowed off and on last night, too, since there's quite a bit on the ground and the trees. Very pretty.

Comment

The UK has been warned to expect 6 inches of snow in the next few days Scotland is expected to take the brunt of it, so hopefully (and very selfishly ) it shouldn't affect any of us English WooHoos.

Edit: Just heard that Wendy has arrived home safely
                                Last edited by Jumble; 22 November 2010, 07:24 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X