Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But Martin looks so ser...

Oh. Beat me to it.

Anyone got a linky to this list of books? I'm curious.

EDIT: Never mind, found it. I've read 22/100. Would be more if I didn't find Jane Austen so interminably boring to read.

I was pleased to see this on the list though:

58 Brave New World - Aldous Huxley
    Because I've always thought it a rather awesome book.
    Last edited by Cagranosalis; 21 November 2010, 01:27 PM.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Estrela View Post
      MoB Me too regarding reading most of those in high school. I credit a phenomenal English teacher I had back then. He passed on his love for the writen word and many of those books were on his must read list. I've always loved to read but his influence stays with me today in my choice of books. For recreational reading I insist on something well written. It must be the mark of a great instructor.

I love how you said you read to be more well rounded. So many people don't think that way and don't see the connection. We seem to live in a time of 24-7 stimulus. I love the quiet time and limitless imagination that reading brings.

Quick disregard all this serious talk. I don't want to break GW.

*changes the subject*

Martin is love.

That's better.
      Unsrs:

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post

Oh. Beat me to it.

EDIT: Never mind, found it. I've read 22/100. Would be more if I didn't find Jane Austen so interminably boring to read.
      Hee! She's one of the reasons my list is so long.
      sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post
        But... reading *can* be funny...

*hugs WooHoos*
        *hugs PTB*
        *goes to sit in the bus*
        Reading can indeed be funny. It's the discussion of it that's serious

Edit: Wait! You're sitting in the bus???

Originally posted by luvnjack View Post
        *wonderz how many Woohoos are tipsy at the Woohoo meet*
        None. Both remaining WooHoos are totally sober and listening intently to Martin and Joe F's commentary on SGA Rising

Oh dear, that sounds rather serious doesn't it?

*forces Wendy to run through thread nekkid*

Comment

Oh. Beat me to it.

Now... that's normally true for me, except for the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies version of the book. Now that's a pretty interesting read... complete fantasy/fiction, but heehee.
          sigpic
          Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
            Reading can indeed be funny. It's the discussion of it that's serious

Edit: Wait! You're sitting on the bus???

None. Both remaining WooHoos are totally sober and listening intently to Martin and Joe F's commentary on SGA Rising

Oh dear, that sounds rather serious doesn't it?

*forces Wendy to run through thread nekkid*

*doesn't need that much convincing!*

*runs through thread nekkid*
            sigpic
            Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

Estrela: Reading definitely engages your brain in a different way, and I am certainly as guilty as the next person of getting caught up in the 24/7 stimulus. I am making an effort to find more balance. I was an opera/classical singer, and let me tell you, as a general rule, opera singers are the most boring people in the world, what with their inability to talk about anything but singing and opera and I never wanted to be that person. When I left the business, most of my 'friends' disappeared. The ones who stuck around are still my friends, and wouldn't you know, they're the ones who had something interesting to talk about.

Now just so I don't break GW with this srs talk...

*sheds clothes and runs around nekkid*

FYI, that was my first nekkid thread run.
              Last edited by MidwifeOnBoard; 21 November 2010, 01:47 PM. Reason: OMG Punctuation!
              sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Oh. Beat me to it.

I found the list, and on going through it discovered I've read 14 of those listed.

Comment

*applauds MoB's first nekkid run* Well done!! *iz so proud*
                  sigpic

Comment

If you see somebody running nekkid thru the thread with a bag over their head, ... it's probably me ... trying to remain incognito.

Comment

MoB
                      sigpic
                      Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

sigpic

Comment

Well done MoB

I saw you Hedwig

I think I am now officially the only WooHoo never to have run nekkid through the thread

*huggles Martin...... fully clothed of course *

Comment

Originally posted by hedwig View Post
                            I found the list, and on going through it discovered I've read 14 of those listed.
                            That's pretty good. I think a lot of it is down to preference though. I don't really like period drama much so a lot of that list was meh to me, but a lot of what I have read that I'd consider classics isn't on that list. There's no Terry Pratchett (not all his stuff is legendary but at least one of those books definitely deserve a mention in a "best of fiction" list). There was no 2001 (Arthur C Clarke) and I'd even rate some Stephen King to be pretty classic ( The Dead Zone or IT for instance). And where's the Greek classics? The Odyssey and The Illiad?
                            Likewise I don't think it fair to list The complete Works of Shakespeare and then later list individual pieces from it. You either do one or the other, IMO.

All in all I find the list more a statement of how typical it is of the BBC to be a bit up-their-own-bums over this kind if thing. When all is said and done, fiction is fiction and any reading is good reading, IMO.

says she who has been known to read the back of a cornflake box before now!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
                              Well done MoB

I saw you Hedwig

I think I am now officially the only WooHoo never to have run nekkid through the thread

*huggles Martin...... fully clothed of course *
                              You ran through the ship thread nekkid yesterday..

And congrats MoB
                              sigpic

Comment

Whew! Glad the Woohoos are finally able to come back and lighten up the thread. I was afraid MoB and I were going to break GW with all of our literary talk. Sorry Cags, I love period pieces.

Congrats MoB on your first nekkid run. No Jumble, you're not the last. Being a perpetual lurker means I haven't done the streaking bit yet either.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X