The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jumble View Post
    I was going to say Yoga, but I don't know enough about it to know if it's the right thing. I know there's a spiritual side to it and that might well be a good thing for Bree, but I hesitated because I'm not sure how much the physical side of it might affect her back problem
    There can be a spiritual component to yoga, but there are lots of series out there that don't play into that. Hatha is fairly gentle and slow practice in the beginner phase. It really shouldn't be too physically strenuous.

And I'm sitting here laughing at myself, because I'm giving her the advice that I really should be taking myself
    Don't we all.
    sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

Ah, we thought that didn't we?

Seems to me that what you really need is to learn how to relax. I don't think massage is the answer here. Have you ever tried meditation? Tai Chi? Both of those you can achieve with dvds rather than spending lots of money on a massage or a chiropractor. All along I've thought your base problem is more mental/emotional than physical, and those results do seem to bear that out.

Do some research, see what dvds you can get and which ones have good feedback, then MAKE yourself find the time to devote to destressing and taking better care of yourself. Hopefully that will help you get out of the vicious cycle of stress=pain=stress=pain=stress that you've been in for far too long! You deserve a better life than you're currently having. *huggles*

Temporary fixes and yes, I do it too don't solve the problem. Unfortunately
      Yeah we did.

I have been exercising since that is supposed to relieve some stress but it only helps a little. I tried Tai Chi once but I found it to be difficult for some reason.

Meditation is something I need to work on more. I have so much going on right now that my thoughts just jump from one thing to another.

Of course, nothing will get rid of the arthritis. Have it in my hands too and I do a heck of a lot of typing in my job. It's not all just boozing it up with Mario.

Speaking of, Mario was just in here with his Real estate Agent. Someone is looking to buy the small shop. More stress for me since I am the manager of this place. I'm not putting the cart before the horse but I know that in these situations the new owners never keep the manager unless it's a huge store. Small places they run themselves. The most I could hope for wood be to be offered a cashiers position. That wood be a pay cut that I couldn't afford. That is assuming that they need cashiers and don't want to run it themselves. The only reason Mario has me as manager is because he can't be here and his daughter runs the big store. That store already has a manager so I doubt I wood be offered his position. So now I have another set of worries to add to my list.

Waiting for the results of Charmaine's' CT scan and her ultra sound and hoping that neither shows bad results. Two different areas of the body so that is worrisome. She's a heavy smoker so I am hoping for the best but prepared for something else.

My own ultra sound is tomorrow. That should be okay since it probably is just a thyroid issue that can be taken care of with meds.

Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
      Wholeheartedly agree! I'd like to add the rec of yoga too. Start with a gentle hatha practice and see where that takes you. Yoga classes are super-expensive here, but I have some dvds I really love. One in particular that I use most of the time. It's amazing how centered you can be after just 1/2 hour of yoga.
      I need a yoga for beginners DVD or I will tie myself in a knot for sure.

I was going to say Yoga, but I don't know enough about it to know if it's the right thing. I know there's a spiritual side to it and that might well be a good thing for Bree, but I hesitated because I'm not sure how much the physical side of it might affect her back problem
      Don't know much about yoga either so I have no idea if it will negatively or positively impact the back issue. Does yoga help arthritis?

And I'm sitting here laughing at myself, because I'm giving her the advice that I really should be taking myself
      Isn't that always the way tho'. I give Char all kinds of advice that she promptly ignores, that I should take myself.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jumble
        That makes me 3! I give better advice than take it apparently. Comes from being to settled in my ways! Or so I've been told.

Originally posted by wine_buyer
        Of course, nothing will get rid of the arthritis. Have it in my hands too and I do a heck of a lot of typing in my job. It's not all just boozing it up with Mario.
        I can (sadly ) relate to that. My hands keep getting worse all the time. My left one wasn't hardly showing, but now I see those fingers starting to twist and turn as well. Not very good for someone who wants to write. But what can I do. I just grin and bear it.

I've heard there are some surgeries but I don't know if they work (doesn't get rid of the arthritus but can straighten the fingers) but I'm sure they are very expensive so I don't think I can afford them until (maybe) I get medicare. I have to be 65 for that so I still have to wait. Such is life. Just another thing to "wait" for until it may or may not happen!
        sigpic

Comment

Oh *BIG WAVES TO ALL* and a big HELLO!

Sorry, I forgot!
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
            That makes me 3! I give better advice than take it apparently. Comes from being to settled in my ways! Or so I've been told.
            I'll fourth that.

And I'll be back after my bath to reply properly. (following on the conversation about exercise, I was going to have a self indugent whinge about how crappy my body is but...on reflection, you know I think that I'm not so badly off... which makes me a bit sad because it means so many Woohoos suffering.

*huggles Woohoos*

Bath getting cold...back later.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by wine_buyer View Post
              Yeah we did.

I have been exercising since that is supposed to relieve some stress but it only helps a little. I tried Tai Chi once but I found it to be difficult for some reason.
              I've never tried it, but it looks complicated. Then again, perseverance wins the race, and I do know people that have mastered it and found it to be their salvation.

Meditation is something I need to work on more. I have so much going on right now that my thoughts just jump from one thing to another.
              Which is why mediation could be very useful to you. It helps clarify the mind, concentrates on what is really important. I really should do it more often.........

I have arthritis in my hip. My method of dealing with it is to refuse to acknowledge it and just carry on regardless. I keep active, refuse to be beaten. It works for me, though it really shouldn't. Maybe it's time to think about another job?

Speaking of, Mario was just in here with his Real estate Agent. Someone is looking to buy the small shop. More stress for me since I am the manager of this place. I'm not putting the cart before the horse but I know that in these situations the new owners never keep the manager unless it's a huge store. Small places they run themselves. The most I could hope for wood be to be offered a cashiers position. That wood be a pay cut that I couldn't afford. That is assuming that they need cashiers and don't want to run it themselves. The only reason Mario has me as manager is because he can't be here and his daughter runs the big store. That store already has a manager so I doubt I wood be offered his position. So now I have another set of worries to add to my list.
              Maybe it's time to think about another job........ er.... didn't I just say that?

Waiting for the results of Charmaine's' CT scan and her ultra sound and hoping that neither shows bad results. Two different areas of the body so that is worrisome. She's a heavy smoker so I am hoping for the best but prepared for something else.
              There is absolutely no point in worrying. Wait for the results, see what they say, then form a plan for how to deal with it

My own ultra sound is tomorrow. That should be okay since it probably is just a thyroid issue that can be taken care of with meds.

Of course you do! We all have to start somewhere, and you'll feel better just for having made the decision to give it a good try

Don't know much about yoga either so I have no idea if it will negatively or positively impact the back issue. Does yoga help arthritis?
              Exercise definitely helps. It's just a matter of finding the right exercise. As I said, I don't know enough about yoga to say, but it's got to be worth looking into

Isn't that always the way tho'. I give Char all kinds of advice that she promptly ignores, that I should take myself.
              I guess we're all guilty of that

Ok, rant.......

Spoiler:
              Was just watching Neighbours (yes, I know it's a soap, but they do have some realistic storylines sometimes) and there's Libby, who has just found out that her best friend slept with her ex-husband and is now pregnant, something Libby was unable to achieve. So she's upset. She's down the local bar, very drunk, dancing and coming on to any guy that will listen. So her 'friends' call her parents and they come and drag her away (she's in her late 20's, old enough to make her own decisions). And I'm thinking, why the heck can't people understand that sometimes you just have to go crazy, yell and scream, sing and dance, just to keep your head together and get out all that pain?

I've had both Jo and Suz on the phone today, both wanting me to spend the week-end with them. I just can't. They'd try to wrap me up in cotton wool and I just know I'd feel suffocated I need to be away from everyone. I need to work it out myself. And if it means I get drunk and howl at the moon, so what? I can't be any more hurt than I am right now, so why not let me just....... do whatever?

Nobody understands unless they've been where I am. I can get through it, but I can't do it if I'm stuck in a situation where I have to worry about what people around me are thinking and having to avoid hurting them Selfish? Very. But I've spent most of my life taking care of everyone around me and it's time I took care of me.

/rant.

Sorry

Comment

Originally posted by wine_buyer View Post
                Yeah we did.

I haven't tried this one personally, so I can't totally vouch for it, but the reviews sound promising.
                sigpic

come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

Comment

I haven't tried this one personally, so I can't totally vouch for it, but the reviews sound promising.
                  See the first thing I see wrong with that DVD is she looks like she is exercising. Once I got "of a certain age" I promised myself I would NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER (that means NEVER) do that again. Not great for the figure but works wonders on the brain!
                  sigpic

Comment

See the first thing I see wrong with that DVD is she looks like she is exercising. Once I got "of a certain age" I promised myself I would NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER (that means NEVER) do that again. Not great for the figure but works wonders on the brain!
                    Did I add enough NEVER'S to make the point.

Oohhhh look, I now have 1000 posts! WOOHOO!
                    sigpic

Comment

*huggles everyone and Jumbly especially*

Gotta go, gotta run, gotta do that....feeding thing (aka off to lunch )

Oh and the exam went okay...I don't think I have the perfect A like everyone in here wants but I do think I passed.(which is all I need in the end for conversion to my school). There were some vague questions in it....I think my "foreign" teacher was sometimes trying to show of that she knew big English words.
                      sigpic

Comment

Ok, rant.......

Spoiler:
                        Was just watching Neighbours (yes, I know it's a soap, but they do have some realistic storylines sometimes) and there's Libby, who has just found out that her best friend slept with her ex-husband and is now pregnant, something Libby was unable to achieve. So she's upset. She's down the local bar, very drunk, dancing and coming on to any guy that will listen. So her 'friends' call her parents and they come and drag her away (she's in her late 20's, old enough to make her own decisions). And I'm thinking, why the heck can't people understand that sometimes you just have to go crazy, yell and scream, sing and dance, just to keep your head together and get out all that pain?

I've had both Jo and Suz on the phone today, both wanting me to spend the week-end with them. I just can't. They'd try to wrap me up in cotton wool and I just know I'd feel suffocated I need to be away from everyone. I need to work it out myself. And if it means I get drunk and howl at the moon, so what? I can't be any more hurt than I am right now, so why not let me just....... do whatever?

Nobody understands unless they've been where I am. I can get through it, but I can't do it if I'm stuck in a situation where I have to worry about what people around me are thinking and having to avoid hurting them Selfish? Very. But I've spent most of my life taking care of everyone around me and it's time I took care of me.

/rant.

Sorry
                        Everyone has to deal with grief in their own way. It's so intensely personal. My family didn't understand for quite a while how I grieved for my mum. You do what you have to do, they will understand eventually. (((Jumble)))
                        sigpic

Comment

Oohhhh look, I now have 1000 posts! WOOHOO!
                          Congrats!
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                            *huggles everyone and Jumbly especially*

Gotta go, gotta run, gotta do that....feeding thing (aka off to lunch )

Oh and the exam went okay...I don't think I have the perfect A like everyone in here wants but I do think I passed.(which is all I need in the end for conversion to my school). There were some vague questions in it....I think my "foreign" teacher was sometimes trying to show of that she knew big English words.
                            Glad to hear it...... not that there was ever any doubt

Everyone has to deal with grief in their own way. It's so intensely personal. My family didn't understand for quite a while how I grieved for my mum. You do what you have to do, they will understand eventually. (((Jumble)))
                            I doubt they will, they've never lost anyone so unfairly. Tbh, I hope they never do.

I'm going offline now. Go post pics of Martin and have a party while I'm gone *huggles everyone*

Comment

I'm with Jumble (well not literally but figuratively. I need to get to the PO and the bank and the grocery. This all sounds like chores....oh well. Gotta do with I gotta do!

See ya all later....."Hugs BYE to all*
                              sigpic

Comment

I've never tried it, but it looks complicated. Then again, perseverance wins the race, and I do know people that have mastered it and found it to be their salvation.

Which is why mediation could be very useful to you. It helps clarify the mind, concentrates on what is really important. I really should do it more often.........

I have arthritis in my hip. My method of dealing with it is to refuse to acknowledge it and just carry on regardless. I keep active, refuse to be beaten. It works for me, though it really shouldn't. Maybe it's time to think about another job?

Maybe it's time to think about another job........ er.... didn't I just say that?

There is absolutely no point in worrying. Wait for the results, see what they say, then form a plan for how to deal with it

Of course you do! We all have to start somewhere, and you'll feel better just for having made the decision to give it a good try

Exercise definitely helps. It's just a matter of finding the right exercise. As I said, I don't know enough about yoga to say, but it's got to be worth looking into

I guess we're all guilty of that

Ok, rant.......

Spoiler:

/rant.

Sorry
                                Sorry, no time to answer every post but I have to answer this one.
                                Jumble you are not being selfish! You are doing exactly what you need to do to work through the heartache. I know from losing my mom that we feel obligated to put on a brave face for everyone around us because we worry that if we fall apart then they will fell bad or helpless etc... SO we swallow the emotions and put on a brave face and worry about everyone but ourselves and that isn't healthy. Keep the emotions in and they will destroy you from the inside out. SO go ahead and be by yourself, get drunk if you need to (but please don't stand near any cliff edges ) and howl at the moon. Scream and shout and cry as much as you need to and know that we all will be waiting to give you big squishy huggles when you get back.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X