The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats on the 69 posts

*random topic:* I'm planning on taking my baby car to a mechanics tomorrow to see if I can get stuff done (or at least book it in for some stuff before its MOT - oil change, windscreen washer unclog, look at the brakes & exhaust bracket). Any tips/things to expect? I got the guy to fix change my headlight before so he's alright, I'm just all nervous for my poor baby car. (Esp for the prices. *gulp*)

Comment

Originally posted by XFchemist
      no comment about that from an Italian
      I don't understand why foreign people put EVERYTHING on a pizza and keep still calling it PIZZA
      I have to agree....pizza should be more classic...no fruits or other exotic things....

Sauce, cheeses, mushrooms, sausage.....perfecto! Makes me hungry

As for disturbing embarrassing pictures - they are destroyed immediately on contact with air! Never to be seen by human eyes!
      But I did love the animals made from hey.

Jumble - you remind me of the song from PeterPan...."I will never grow up"....

Jann - I went through something like that when I first went to college. My roommate and I were total opposites....we never could see eye-to-eye (but then she was 6 inches taller than me). I had to wait until the next semester. So you are lucky to be able to move.

Bree - I'm tellin' Martin! I'm tellin' Martin! Neener, neener, neener! - really Hey I thought what happens between WooHoos stays with the WooHoos, that is unless we talk about it.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by thesecretcylon View Post
        Congrats on the 69 posts

*random topic:* I'm planning on taking my baby car to a mechanics tomorrow to see if I can get stuff done (or at least book it in for some stuff before its MOT - oil change, windscreen washer unclog, look at the brakes & exhaust bracket). Any tips/things to expect? I got the guy to fix change my headlight before so he's alright, I'm just all nervous for my poor baby car. (Esp for the prices. *gulp*)
        Just be very clear about what you want done and how much it will cost. Does 'looking at' the brakes and exhaust bracket actually mean replacing/fixing them? Do you want him to do whatever needs doing straight off, or do you want him to consult you and give you a definite price first? Don't be afraid to ask about anything you don't understand, and remember that you are employing him and are therefore in charge of the situation

Yes, I've had the odd bit of experience with mechanics

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post

I have to agree....pizza should be more classic...no fruits or other exotic things....

Sauce, cheeses, mushrooms, sausage.....perfecto! Makes me hungry

As for disturbing embarrassing pictures - they are destroyed immediately on contact with air! Never to be seen by human eyes!
          But I did love the animals made from hay.

Jumble - you remind me of the song from PeterPan...."I will never grow up"....
          Yes........ maybe I read that book too many times when I was a kid

Jann - I went through something like that when I first went to college. My roommate and I were total opposites....we never could see eye-to-eye (but then she was 6 inches taller than me). I had to wait until the next semester. So you are lucky to be able to move.

Bree - I'm tellin' Martin! I'm tellin' Martin! Neener, neener, neener! - really Hey I thought what happens between WooHoos stays with the WooHoos, that is unless we talk about it.
          Yes......... but some people tend to forget that this is a public forum

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
            Just be very clear about what you want done and how much it will cost. Does 'looking at' the brakes and exhaust bracket actually mean replacing/fixing them? Do you want him to do whatever needs doing straight off, or do you want him to consult you and give you a definite price first? Don't be afraid to ask about anything you don't understand, and remember that you are employing him and are therefore in charge of the situation

Yes, I've had the odd bit of experience with mechanics
            Well for the brakes and exhaust bracket I need them looking at. My brake pads may possibly (and hopefully not) need replacing (heard a couple of squeaks braking but I was going down hill) and my car has this rattle which has been pinned on a heck of a lot of things, so my nana thinks that maybe the bracket is just a little loose so it's rattling?

All I know needs doing is my oil change (definitely!) and I know prices for that aren't usually cheap.
            (On the part about anything I don't understand, that would be everything! I also don't do bossy/commanding/whatever I need well. Oops.)

Comment

Originally posted by wine_buyer View Post
              Are you saying that you're a fast mover Jann? *whistles innocently*
              *gasp* No reply.

*hugs* ...perhaps they just want to keep their international students happy! But we have a rule we can't move *within* the first two weeks of school...after that no prob. if you have a good reason that is.
              sigpic

Comment

Well for the brakes and exhaust bracket I need them looking at. My brake pads may possibly (and hopefully not) need replacing (heard a couple of squeaks braking but I was going down hill) and my car has this rattle which has been pinned on a heck of a lot of things, so my nana thinks that maybe the bracket is just a little loose so it's rattling?
                So you tell him that you need to know whether you're brakes will pass the MOT. If he says not, then you want to know how much it will cost to replace the pads. Squeaks don't necessarily mean the brake pads are worn, it could just be some sand/dirt causing the squeaks. And you want him to check the exhaust bracket to see if it's loose and therefore causing the rattle. If so, can he simply tighten it? You need to sound like you know what you're talking about, otherwise you can get the old 'women don't know anything about cars' attitude and find yourself paying for things that didn't necessarily need replacing

All I know needs doing is my oil change (definitely!) and I know prices for that aren't usually cheap.
                So you want a definite quote for that. Don't ask for an estimate, that leaves way too much room for having the price increased. A 'quote' means that's what you will have to pay for the work you've asked him to do.

(On the part about anything I don't understand, that would be everything! I also don't do bossy/commanding/whatever I need well. Oops.)
                So blagg it! Talk to him as if you actually know what you're talking about and you'll get more respect

And you do know, otherwise you'd have been asking me about 'those brake thingies' and the 'thing that holds the exhaust thingy up'

Comment

In the US we have a company called Pep Boys that does auto repair/tuneups/etc. They are a ripoff place. They did a "brake Job" on my car (decades ago). This was suppose to be a complete overhaul of the brakes. All they did was put on new brake pads. I sold the car about a month later (a beautiful '65 fire engine red Mustang) sniff sniff - anyhow, the girl came back and asked me about it. I told her what they did and her mechanic told her what actually happened. We went down to the Pep Boys and raised holly hell (didn't say I sold the car) until they did a new and COMPLETE brake job. Then I told my mother what happened....she had taken her car in about a week after mine. Sure enough, they did the same thing to her. I went with her and said "REMEMBER ME!" They then redid her car as well. We checked with a mechanic and this time they did the work. About 5 months later I read where the Attorney General was going after PEP BOYS for bait and switch tactics and not doing work they were charging for....what a surprise
                  sigpic

Comment

*flops in*

This walking to/from school thing is exhausting. That's cured my insomnia.

Day 3 blues hit today. I left him giving them his best BenjaDevil tantrum (and oh doesn't he do that so well! ) All smiles when I picked him up though but he tells me he doesn't want to go back ever. Poor child; I haven't the heart to tell him this is his life for the next 80 odd years. We did negotiate though; I told him if he promised me he'd go tomorrow and Friday, I'd let him have Saturday and Sunday off.
                    He did tell the school he hurt his eye "on daddy's cigarette" which uh, is sort of true in that daddy went off down the garden for one of his very occasional (these days) real ciggies and decided to hack away at the bamboo at the same time and Benjabubs followed him and got poked by the sharp end of a bamboo stick... er but the school now probably think we make a habit of stubbing out ciggie butts on him.

*huggles Nik* You WILL be fighting fit again. I know it must be very frustrating for you.

Josi, I know how your sister feels. I hated all the attention. I was quite lucky, Benjabubs arrived on his official (according to midwife) due date so there wasn't too much of that for me. You can tell her that the attention will soon shift to baby as soon as he/she arrives.

Congrats on the 69 post Yessika!

Oh and congrats on the mega 69 post Jumble

+1 What Jumble said. I would stress that you don't want anything doen that costs (more tha the agreed fee for looking it over) unless you are consulted first. If anything sounds extortinate/expensive, defer and check it out before getting it done.

Jann Two more days. That's all. Then it's slidey slidey lino lino.

Fab piccys Bree! Love the bear thing. I too want to see Nad's nappy pic.

Oh if we're going to embarrass ourselves with pictures of us looking er, stupid:

Spoiler:

Zombie Bride; Halloween 199?something. That's my mum's old wedding dress I trashed.

Me (Zombie nun - are we seeing a theme here?) and my bessie mate: Halloween 2003

Demeter - Greek Gods party 2004

Medusa: Halloween 2005 (I made that headdress myself. Took me months!)

Zombie and Zombie baby... aka how to disguise a 6 month bump: Halloween 2006

Ghost, Devil Baby and Vampire (Benjabubs and Charles): Halloween 2007

Yeah, we do a lot of dressing up for parties!

OK, quick question. Does anyone have the latest edition of the Woohoo birthdays list? It occurs to me there's some NewHoos that need adding.
                    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
                      So you tell him that you need to know whether you're brakes will pass the MOT. If he says not, then you want to know how much it will cost to replace the pads. Squeaks don't necessarily mean the brake pads are worn, it could just be some sand/dirt causing the squeaks. And you want him to check the exhaust bracket to see if it's loose and therefore causing the rattle. If so, can he simply tighten it? You need to sound like you know what you're talking about, otherwise you can get the old 'women don't know anything about cars' attitude and find yourself paying for things that didn't necessarily need replacing
                      Hmm reminder that I need to find my papers to find my MOT date. (Self, please get organised). You're probably right about the brakes. I've only heard squeaks twice (tiny tiny ones, though I once thought my brakes weren't properly working as I was sort of rolling a little but then I realised that the M1 was on a bit of a hill. Oops. It was like 5mph tho!) But yep, rattle. My driving instructer wasn't worried about it after I got the car (it's been passed onto my bonnet holding stick (LOL), one of my lights and now the exhaust. I will find that rattle!) I just worry. Esp about the MOT, poor old baby car. (Though she passed with flying colours last time and that was just before I bought her and she's all good. Don't look at her bonnet)

*ramble ramble*

So you want a definite quote for that. Don't ask for an estimate, that leaves way too much room for having the price increased. A 'quote' means that's what you will have to pay for the work you've asked him to do.
                      Either way I'm hoping he's fair because, erm, last time I went I didn't get a price before letting him do the work! (Just changing my front headlight as part of it had fused/melted so it was dimmer). But I'll definitely get a price first this time and if I don't like it I'm rolling away

So blagg it! Talk to him as if you actually know what you're talking about and you'll get more respect

And you do know, otherwise you'd have been asking me about 'those brake thingies' and the 'thing that holds the exhaust thingy up'
                      Lol my blagging at work (at least when I'm 80% sure we don't have something) always includes the words "I think" and I always tell myself to stop saying that!

I only know about the exhaust bracket cause of my nana. But point

*hugs* TY
                      *will try not to worry and be more confident*

In the US we have a company called Pep Boys that does auto repair/tuneups/etc. They are a ripoff place. They did a "brake Job" on my car. This was suppose to be a complete overhaul of the brakes. All they did was put on new brake pads. I sold the car about a month later (a beautiful '65 fire engine red Mustang) sniff sniff - anyhow, the girl came back and asked me about it. I told her what they did and her mechanic told her what actually happened. We went down to the Pep Boys and raised holly hell (didn't say I sold the car) until they did a new and COMPLETE brake job. Then I told my mother what happened....she had taken her car in about a week after mine. Sure enough, they did the same thing to her. I went with her and said "REMEMBER ME!" They then redid her car as well. We checked with a mechanic and this time they did the work. About 5 months later I read where the Attorney General was going after PEP BOYS for bait and switch tactics and not doing work they were charging for....what a surprise
                      EEP! Safe to say I think this garage is alright but if not, there are quite a few other places near by! (Oooh need to get tyres looked at too just to see how worn they are. Crap more stuff, I'll need a list *wibble*)
                      But EEEEP! *hugs* Glad you got it all sorted!

Comment

Oh great pics Cags
                        I have a reccurring dressing up theme too, pirate!
                        sigpic
                        Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                          *flops in*

This walking to/from school thing is exhausting. That's cured my insomnia.

Day 3 blues hit today. I left him giving them his best BenjaDevil tantrum (and oh doesn't he do that so well! ) All smiles when I picked him up though but he tells me he doesn't want to go back ever. Poor child; I haven't the heart to tell him this is his life for the next 80 odd years. We did negotiate though; I told him if he promised me he'd go tomorrow and Friday, I'd let him have Saturday and Sunday off.
                          He did tell the school he hurt his eye "on daddy's cigarette" which uh, is sort of true in that daddy went off down the garden for one of his very occasional (these days) real ciggies and decided to hack away at the bamboo at the same time and Benjabubs followed him and got poked by the sharp end of a bamboo stick... er but the school now probably think we make a habit of stubbing out ciggie butts on him.
                          They know how to let us down don't they?

My little one-year-old was sobbing so heartbreakingly when his Mum left him this morning that she went off to work in tears! Three minutes later I was texting her to say he was playing happily He spent the rest of the day playing and giggling - little .......... darling

*huggles Nik* You WILL be fighting fit again. I know it must be very frustrating for you.

Josi, I know how your sister feels. I hated all the attention. I was quite lucky, Benjabubs arrived on his official (according to midwife) due date so there wasn't too much of that for me. You can tell her that the attention will soon shift to baby as soon as he/she arrives.
                          And a couple of weeks later she'll be depressed because she'll feel like she has no importance whatsoever since baby became the star attraction

Congrats on the 69 post Yessika!
                          Oh and congrats on the mega 69 post Jumble
                          Thank you

+1 What Jumble said. I would stress that you don't want anything doen that costs (more tha the agreed fee for looking it over) unless you are consulted first. If anything sounds extortinate/expensive, defer and check it out before getting it done.

Jann Two more days. That's all. Then it's slidey slidey lino lino.

Fab piccys Bree! Love the bear thing. I too want to see Nad's nappy pic.

Oh if we're going to embarrass ourselves with pictures of us looking er, stupid:

<snip>

Yeah, we do a lot of dressing up for parties!
                          Why thank you Cags, that's added to my collection beautifully! This collage is going to be......... interesting

OK, quick question. Does anyone have the latest edition of the Woohoo birthdays list? It occurs to me there's some NewHoos that need adding.
                          This is the latest list I have...

January 19th - The Martin
                          March 9th - Fainne
                          March 11th - Achaja
                          May 2nd - Brad
                          May 3rd - Kliggins
                          May 11th - Jann
                          May 19th - Oma
                          June 5th - Bekki
                          June 25th- Amanda (Regularamanda)
                          June 29 – Luvnjack
                          July 21st - Kirdy
                          August 10th - Jumble
                          August 18- Rac80 (aka Rache)
                          August 28th - The Amanda (honourary WooHoo)
                          September 11th - Josiane
                          September 13th – Jasmina
                          September 20th - Yessika

September 21st - Samcarterrules
                          October 7th - Nad
                          October 14th - Coopie
                          October 16th - The Joe
                          November 1st - Sarai
                          December 23rd - The Dan

Note bolded

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                            Problem is I don't know how much anything costs Google isn't being helpful much (Though apparently £70 is cheap for an oil change. (I do keep asking my mum if we know anyone that knows cars so I can buy the oil from work and get it done for cheap!))
                            But most of my things are just looking and that's it (unless they do actually need replacing ie brakes!). Only the oil change is a definite.

I think I need to look at that list so I don't miss anyone! Hee

& *hugs* Cags. Put your feet up!

Comment

I have something great to share!

I'm working on my first FILM!!!!! Well, not mine, mine, but first film for me and actually a first real job experience in this department. I've done some minor editing for student films, but this is completley different, because I get to be on set, and see how everything works (and I was in the office with them before the shooting began when actually everything gets prepared for filming...).

The director is awesome (she's younger then I'd expect, but brilliant), director of photography even more so. The whole crew has me in awe and I'm soooooooooooo freaking happy!

Also, there are some great actors of Serbian film working with us which is just a bonus to everything that I've experienced in the days I was with them...

I'm so exhausted, 'cause the shooting starts at like eight, and ends when the program for the day is done (which is usually around midnight). And... my feet stink

((((huggles)))))
                              sigpic
                              Big thanks to josi for avi and sig

Comment

*ramble ramble* Either way I'm hoping he's fair because, erm, last time I went I didn't get a price before letting him do the work!
                                - don't just hope, be sure....very important!

I only know about the exhaust bracket cause of my nana. But point
                                - sounds like a smart lady to me!

EEP! Safe to say I think this garage is alright but if not, there are quite a few other places near by! (Oooh need to get tyres looked at too just to see how worn they are. Crap more stuff, I'll need a list *wibble*) But EEEEP! *hugs* Glad you got it all sorted!
                                Lists are good....use them all the time....now where did I put that list
                                You could look at the tires yourself. Get a coin and use it to measure how deep the grooves are on the tires. Are the front and back one similar. If it has been awhile than rotating the tires can be very good (Front to back - back to front)!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X