Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jumble View Post
    Oh, I don't feel bad about it, I simply don't believe it

In my head I'm about 20. In the mirror....... hmmm.......... well I'm told I look ten years younger than my Birth Certificate says

Age is just a number!
    I so agree - I think I'll get one of those "Dorian Grey" type pictures in my closet and try to unage me some. Wonder if it would work. With my luck, it would probably go the other way. Oh well - One advantage of getting older, you can start your "second" childhood again and everyone just accepts it.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
      I so agree - I think I'll get one of those "Dorian Grey" type pictures in my closet and try to unage me some. Wonder if it would work. With my luck, it would probably go the other way. Oh well - One advantage of getting older, you can start your "second" childhood again and everyone just accepts it.
      I think I'm on my "third"

And the other thing about getting older is that you don't care if it's accepted or not

Comment

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
        Of course you can ask. It's part that they can be used as weapons and/or disasters (9/11...yes, I know it's safer now and there hasn't been anything in almost 9 years but that's constantly in the back of my mind...every time I see a plane. ) and the whole being in the air and not being able to be in control. I need control. And I know people say that driving is way more dangerous than flying (you just hear more about the flying disasters than the car accidents) but with driving, I'm the driving the car (or someone who I trust is driving the car) and so I'm in control. With flying...I'm not and that scares me.
        *huggles Amanda*

I have to say, being afraid of flying becuase of the threat of terrorism is exactly what the terrorists want... so I refuse to be scared. I know a lot of people in London expressed the same fear of the underground after our terrorist attacks but, you know, they are safe. Millions of people a day travel on them with no harm coming to them. If some nutjob with a twisted sense of duty has an agenda and is hell bent on slaughtering people, he/she will find a way to do it no matter how many security checks and precuations you put in place. If you worry about that you may as well never leave your house.

As for planes, I don't like flying but that's because about 50% of the time doing so gives me the most horrible killer headaches (migraines I guess). It's a real gamble for me. I also hate take off and landing; I just don't like the sensation much. Once up there though, I'm fatalistic; if something goes wrong then I'll be dead before I know it so it's hardly worth worrying about.
        As for planes flying overhead, given my proximity to the airport, I'd be a gibbering wreck if I was scared of them flying overhead. Nothing like living next door to the world's bsuiest international airport to cure you of the fear of a plane dropping on your head.

Now tunnels... eugh! I can't do them. Well I can but under extreme duress...except the tube which I'm mostly ok with for some odd reason. They just make me feel very uncomfortable being in one. The only reason I went on the channel tunnel was because the tickets were free.
        I also have a stupid phobia about glass sided lifts (elevators). I know they go up and down on a thin little cable; I don't need to actually see that. *shudder*

All that said, my twin brother has a rather disturbing knack of just avoiding terrorist attacks. He was at Lords cricket ground the day the Hyde Park bomb went off (he heard the explosion), he worked two doors down from a pub in Soho that some homophobic nutcase set of a nail bomb in, and he gets off the underground one stop before one of the stations attacked in the 7/7 attacks.

Hmm, and I suppose that's the other thing; In the UK we've had terrorism for many years, because we've had the IRA etc. I guess we're more used to living with the every day threat and therefore more pragmatic about the impact it will have on our lives.

Originally posted by Bekki View Post
        good evening Woodiehoos!!

*cuddles all*

horrible day today, can't even type without pain. I shall just sit back and enjoy the thread

*huggles Bekki.* Are you still suffering? Oh dear. Get ye to a doctor little missy!

Originally posted by starlover View Post
        Ohhh...are you then giving one of those Sweet 16's I always see on MTV!

You know I can't even remember what my party was then...I think just BBQ and some swimming in the pool...

Birthday parties? What are they then? The first and last birthday party I had was for my 21st. We just don't do them in my family - except on very important occasions (like Charles' 60th later this year - pool/cocktail party )

Oh dear, if we're talking age, I'll be 59 in 2012

*looks at that number again*

I seriously have trouble believing that *shakes head*
        Oh, I don't feel bad about it, I simply don't believe it

In my head I'm about 20. In the mirror....... hmmm.......... well I'm told I look ten years younger than my Birth Certificate says

Age is just a number!
        To be honest, if I didn't know how old you were I'd peg you between 46 to 50. You certainly don't look your age at all. and you certainly don't act it, thank heavens!

I will be 40 throughout most of 2012, since I don't turn 41 until the end. I am having a hard time believing I will be 40 next year.
        Having said that, I'm not having the same crisis I had in the couple of years preceeding turning 30. That was a biggie for me and I was hugely depressed about it... then once I turned 30 I was "yeah? What was all the fuss about?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post

Birthday parties? What are they then? The first and last birthday party I had was for my 21st. We just don't do them in my family - except on very important occasions (like Charles' 60th later this year - pool/cocktail party )
          I've only had one too, my 18th which I had to share with my brother on his 21st

I was threatened with one on my 50th, but I let it be known loud and clear that I didn't want it. I don't like being the centre of attention like that

To be honest, if I didn't know how old you were I'd peg you between 46 to 50. You certainly don't look your age at all. and you certainly don't act it, thank heavens!
          That's because I don't know how

And thanks

I will be 40 throughout most of 2012, since I don't turn 41 until the end. I am having a hard time believing I will be 40 next year.
          Having said that, I'm not having the same crisis I had in the couple of years preceeding turning 30. That was a biggie for me and I was hugely depressed about it... then once I turned 30 I was "yeah? What was all the fuss about?
          My 30th was great! Although I think that was more to do with the fact that I was with a 22yr old Adonis at the time

40 was the one I dreaded, but when it came I barely noticed

50? Still waiting for that one to feel real

60? Never.going.to.happen. I refuse!

Comment

Ages...so many milestones still to pass...

and I am just gonna say I hope I reach all those milestones

*runs around nekkid*
            sigpic

Comment

*bounces in*

Oma has her flight booked! So it's all go for the Shipmeet

*bounces out*

Comment

Age is just a number!
                And a good job, too! I agree!
                sigpic
                Made by the lovely Jakie

Comment

*bounces in*

*bounces out*
                  I read this and thought it was for 2012. I forget that you guys are meeting soon. Have fun!
                  sigpic
                  I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

*bounces in*

*bounces out*
                    Woohoo!

*bounces too*
                    sigpic

Comment

Woohood for Oma's flight! Shipmeet is a go!

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                      *huggles Amanda*

I have to say, being afraid of flying becuase of the threat of terrorism is exactly what the terrorists want... so I refuse to be scared. I know a lot of people in London expressed the same fear of the underground after our terrorist attacks but, you know, they are safe. Millions of people a day travel on them with no harm coming to them. If some nutjob with a twisted sense of duty has an agenda and is hell bent on slaughtering people, he/she will find a way to do it no matter how many security checks and precuations you put in place. If you worry about that you may as well never leave your house.

As for planes, I don't like flying but that's because about 50% of the time doing so gives me the most horrible killer headaches (migraines I guess). It's a real gamble for me. I also hate take off and landing; I just don't like the sensation much. Once up there though, I'm fatalistic; if something goes wrong then I'll be dead before I know it so it's hardly worth worrying about.
                      As for planes flying overhead, given my proximity to the airport, I'd be a gibbering wreck if I was scared of them flying overhead. Nothing like living next door to the world's bsuiest international airport to cure you of the fear of a plane dropping on your head.

Now tunnels... eugh! I can't do them. Well I can but under extreme duress...except the tube which I'm mostly ok with for some odd reason. They just make me feel very uncomfortable being in one. The only reason I went on the channel tunnel was because the tickets were free.
                      I also have a stupid phobia about glass sided lifts (elevators). I know they go up and down on a thin little cable; I don't need to actually see that. *shudder*

All that said, my twin brother has a rather disturbing knack of just avoiding terrorist attacks. He was at Lords cricket ground the day the Hyde Park bomb went off (he heard the explosion), he worked two doors down from a pub in Soho that some homophobic nutcase set of a nail bomb in, and he gets off the underground one stop before one of the stations attacked in the 7/7 attacks.

Hmm, and I suppose that's the other thing; In the UK we've had terrorism for many years, because we've had the IRA etc. I guess we're more used to living with the every day threat and therefore more pragmatic about the impact it will have on our lives.
                      *nods* Exactly. You can't help but feel a bit apprehensive after something happens - when I went to Australia last year it was not long after the Air France plane went down over the Atlantic. They'd been talking about how it's more dangerous for planes when they fly across the equator, and so I couldn't help thinking about that a bit as I was on the plane and heading across the equator myself. Not terrorism, but still. And as you say, if someone wants to kill people they'll find a way to do it, there's only so far it's possible to go to eliminate risk, and personally I think they've gone too far with the airport scanners anyway. I think you're right though Cags that perhaps we're more used to terrorism over here because of the IRA - as a child in the 80s I grew up thinking that occasional random bombings were kinda normal, actually I was in several bomb scares as a child, came through Reading Station one time just before a bomb was discovered there, and heard a bomb go off on the train line just a mile or so from where I lived one night. But you cannot let it stop you doing things, because then the terrorists win.

As for milestone birthdays, I've got one coming up this year and I think I'm in denial about it I really really don't feel old enough to be coming up 30
                      sigpic
                      Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Josiane it really doesn't matter what the number is, it's how you feel that counts. Look at me

I live 2 miles from Aldershot, which is a military base, and I well remember the day a bomb went off there. I was in court that day (as a legal secretary, not on trial ), which was right near where the bomb was. Fortunately, it happened at lunchtime and I'd gone into the town centre to grab a sandwich, otherwise I might not be here to tell of it It was not long after 'Bloody Sunday' waaaaay back in 1972, and was thereafter known as 'Bloody Tuesday'.

From this article

Ulster had its Bloody Sunday —Jan. 30 of this year, when 13 Catholics were killed by British paratroopers in Londonderry's Bogside (TIME, Feb. 14). Last week, at the British army's 16th Parachute Brigade headquarters in Aldershot, 40 miles south of London, an event occurred that could go down in history as Bloody Tuesday. Just before lunchtime, a Ford Cortina containing 280 Ibs. of gelignite exploded beside the unguarded officers' mess. The blast tore through the concrete-slab building, injuring 19 and killing seven—five women, a civilian gardener and a Catholic chaplain who had been decorated for his attempts to bring peace to Northern Ireland.
                        So yes, I guess we are used to bomb scares in the UK.

My point is, I still go into Aldershot on a weekly basis, because life has to go on and you can't spend it avoiding the remote possibility that you'll get killed by a bomb or in a plane hijacking or crash. If we did that, we'd none of us ever leave our homes, drive a car, catch a train etc. That's no way to live

Comment

*runs in*

Yay for the Shipmeet

*nods seriously at all the plane phobia speak* I'm not afraid of flying per se, in fact I quite enjoy the thrill. But I've never been on a long flight before, especially to the US/Canada and the thought of flying over the Atlantic does frighten me somewhat! Which makes me laugh as I'm going along not only to go to SE but to help our dear Jumble . Something tells me it's going to be the other way around!!

*runs out* - still at work, so so busy!! *pokes tongue out at Josi*

Comment

Josiane it really doesn't matter what the number is, it's how you feel that counts. Look at me
                            True

My point is, I still go into Aldershot on a weekly basis, because life has to go on and you can't spend it avoiding the remote possibility that you'll get killed by a bomb or in a plane hijacking or crash. If we did that, we'd none of us ever leave our homes, drive a car, catch a train etc. That's no way to live
                            *nods*

Originally posted by Sarai View Post
                            *runs in*

Yay for the Shipmeet

*nods seriously at all the plane phobia speak* I'm not afraid of flying per se, in fact I quite enjoy the thrill. But I've never been on a long flight before, especially to the US/Canada and the thought of flying over the Atlantic does frighten me somewhat! Which makes me laugh as I'm going along not only to go to SE but to help our dear Jumble . Something tells me it's going to be the other way around!!

*hugs* You'll both be fine! And long flights are just the same as short ones, just more boring, but with more films and more food And they give you toothbrushes and eye masks and socks But good luck sleeping

sigpic
                            Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post

I'll be 28/29 in 2012... *cries*

DisneyWorld must be awesome. I've heard it's better than Disneyland, and I've been there and loved it.

I like them both the same, Disney World is just bigger

Originally posted by starlover View Post
                              Ages...so many milestones still to pass...

and I am just gonna say I hope I reach all those milestones

*runs around nekkid*
                              Ditto!!

*bounces in*

*bounces out*
                              Woohoo for shipmeet!!! *runs around nekkid*

*runs in*

Yay for the Shipmeet

I have been in long flights only and I am not afraid of flying but long flights get really uncomfortable if you are in the cheap section
                              Next time I am taking dvds with me
                              sigpic
                              Sig by Everlovin My YT|My other vid site|My LJ|My Photobucket|My ImageShack|"Stargate is life, Sam and Jack are happiness, Shippers are almighty" by hlndncr

Comment

*runs in*

Yay for the Shipmeet

But......... you can't rely on me for any help! Not only have I never been on a flight longer than ONE HOUR, but I'll be a jibbering wreck all the way! Not because I'm worried about the flight, but because of why we're going and and and...... I'M GOING TO MEET MARTIN!!!! You're supposed to get me on the right plane, get me to the hotel, keep the gag handy, keep me sober and help mop up all the drool!

I'm liking this new job of yours. It seems we see more of you now

I'm still in my pj's, having got myself 15 DAYS OFF!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X