The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starlover View Post
    *huggles Sarai* Yup that lovely cold...ya can't sleep from it...ya can't smell...breathe...etc

But I did a good job at infecting everyone around me! he he...I mean*cough*

*puts hazmat suit over Martin because he isn't allowed to get sick*
    See unlike you Janneke I really don't want to infect everyone around me. I mean all the girlies in my house have deadlines too and Dave has work. It wood just be mean!! I guess there's not a lot I can do about it though .

I feel withdrawal symptoms, a little sprinkling of Martin, Dan and Joe is required

*snurched from LilFerret

EDIT:

Spoiler:
    Yeah the Uni system over here works from 1-100. 60+ is a 2:1 (kind of like a B at school) and 70+ is a first (A), 80+ is an excellent first so kind of like an A+ . One mark off a first, was gutted!!! Still it's a great mark for me

Comment

in here peopl ehave to work as well and such...but it's unfair to let them out on this fun

Hmmm....shirt...maaaaaaaaaaaartin!!!

And weird system:
      Spoiler:
      we work from 1 till 10 in here(but also with one decimal behind the "comma") a 5,5 is average...7 is above average 8 is good 9 is very good and 10 is excellent...although it's really really really rare to have a 10, some teachers even don't hand them out...they say it's impossible to do something perfect so a 9 is the highest they hand out
      but most people in here are happy with 7/8 ish(at least I am)

Systems of marking are just weird I've never worked with the letter system
      sigpic

Comment

Wood Morning WooHoos

Sarai great to see you, and good luck with the rest of those deadlines

I already have a desktop, but it's of very little use to me as it's upstairs because I have nowhere downstairs to put it Although I work at home, I can't exactly disappear upstairs and leave the children to their own devices. Bedlam wood surely ensue So I need to get a really good laptop so that I have constant access to it. I'm still researching, but I think I'm probably going to go for the Toshiba Qosmio G50-129 because it looks to have everything I want and Tosh seem to have the best reputation

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
          Wood Morning WooHoos

I already have a desktop, but it's of very little use to me as it's upstairs because I have nowhere downstairs to put it Although I work at home, I can't exactly disappear upstairs and leave the children to their own devices. Bedlam wood surely ensue So I need to get a really good laptop so that I have constant access to it. I'm still researching, but I think I'm probably going to go for the Toshiba Qosmio G50-129 because it looks to have everything I want and Tosh seem to have the best reputation
          Thanks

Yeah, good point, never thought of that .

From what I can see that looks pretty good. Duo Core processor which is all you really need for a laptop. I have a triple core for my desktop which allows me to run photoshop, premiere and after effects all at the same time which I guess is a bit flashy but hey its necessary for me . I find there's always one drawback with laptops and with this one it seems to be the memory which is 512 mb. I mean, its not bad but the most interesting thing is that you have the opportunity to upgrade "up to 1791 Mb total available graphics memory," useful if you want to keep making vids .

So yeah, all in all looks like a good buy, hope it works out for you. I've heard very good things about toshiba as well. If I were you I'd have a spy around Tom's Hardware and see if there are any reviews on toshibas, they're knowledgeable guys over there!

Sorry, I'm a bit of a geek about these things

Oh look...Martin!

Comment

Yep, I'm probably going to take a lot of the upgrades I reckon if I'm going to spend that sort of money I need to get the highest spec I can. Gotta keep the vids coming

And if I ever figure out PremierePro I might even manage to produce some better quality ones

Comment

Wood Morning WooHoos

ooh that's a good one and probably better than mine coz I only have 320 GB harddrive...

it looks pretty too!!!

And Sarai, wow you seem to know a lot about it! and a triple core; that's awesome! I don't have a desktop PC anymore...only my laptop...I could have the old desktop PC from dad(he just got a new one yesterday) but it's 4 years old...and really sloooooooooooooooooooooow... *huggles lappy*

erm....yeah again technobabble!

EDIT: and everyone is upgrading stuff..dude I want that as well... I nly don't have the money for it...plus lappy works good enough as it is...I think...

Btw for PS you don't really need a good graphic card, only with the last CS4 version it's also running on that..(Abode changed that) Actually PS isn't such a heavy program...
              Premiere on the other hand is a bit more "heavier" but still not like wow IMHO...
              I think the computer games of these days are way more heavier!
              sigpic

Comment

To CUT or not to CUT: that is the question

I say: CUT! Aaaand CUT!!!!

*runs off to "homework"*
                sigpic
                sig thanks to Luci

Comment

Mmmmm...Achaja you're sooo....deep
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sarai View Post
                    Thanks

Yeah, good point, never thought of that .

From what I can see that looks pretty good. Duo Core processor which is all you really need for a laptop. I have a triple core for my desktop which allows me to run photoshop, premiere and after effects all at the same time which I guess is a bit flashy but hey its necessary for me . I find there's always one drawback with laptops and with this one it seems to be the memory which is 512 mb. I mean, its not bad but the most interesting thing is that you have the opportunity to upgrade "up to 1791 Mb total available graphics memory," useful if you want to keep making vids .

So yeah, all in all looks like a good buy, hope it works out for you. I've heard very good things about toshiba as well. If I were you I'd have a spy around Tom's Hardware and see if there are any reviews on toshibas, they're knowledgeable guys over there!

Sorry, I'm a bit of a geek about these things

Oh look...Martin!

The one I'm looking at says

processor type : Toshiba Quad Core HD Processor supporting four 128bit SIMD RISC processors (1.5 GHz each) integrating high-definition H.264 and MPEG2 encoders/decoders, and featuring Upconvert, Transcoding, Face Navigation and Gesture Control functionality
                    What do you think?

Achaja, that's brilliant

Comment

What do you think?
                      Quad Core in a laptop will be super fast Jumble . To give you an indication when I'm running Premiere, PS and After Effects at the same time my processor performance whacks up to around 40%. Most of the time its around 5 or 6%. Combined with the fact that my processor overclocks very well, its just a dream to run .

But anyway, you'll have no problem running several heavy duty programs on your new laptop at the same time. Like Jann said as well, if its really PS that you're interested in then getting one with a super-hot graphics card isn't really necessary. I'd focus much more on the processor speed and the memory.

Hope that helps

Comment

Originally posted by Sarai View Post
                        Quad Core in a laptop will be super fast Jumble . To give you an indication when I'm running Premiere, PS and After Effects at the same time my processor performance whacks up to around 40%. Most of the time its around 5 or 6%. Combined with the fact that my processor overclocks very well, its just a dream to run .

But anyway, you'll have no problem running several heavy duty programs on your new laptop at the same time. Like Jann said as well, if its really PS that you're interested in then getting one with a super-hot graphics card isn't really necessary. I'd focus much more on the processor speed and the memory.

Hope that helps
                        Yep, that helps Um... not sure what overclocks means

Here's a link to the whole spec of the one I'm looking at. A lot of it I understand, a lot of it I don't So you're opinion wood be very much appreciated

I haven't posted a single Martinpic today

*sigh* That's better

Comment

Hmmm. The link doesn't work

Wonder if this will
                          Spoiler:
                          Technology type : Intel® Centrino® 2 Processor Technology featuring Intel® Core™2 Duo processor T9550, Intel® PM45 Express chipset and Intel® WiFi Link 5100
                          clock speed : 2.66 GHz
                          front side bus : 1066 MHz
                          2nd level cache : 6 MB

Operating system Genuine Windows Vista® Home Premium 32-bit Edition (pre-installed, Toshiba-HDD recovery)

System memory standard : 4,096 (2,048 + 2,048) MB
                          maximum expandability : 8,192 MB
                          technology : DDR2 RAM (800 MHz)

Hard disk capacity : 800 (400 + 400) GB
                          certification : S.M.A.R.T.
                          drive rotation : 5,400 rpm

DVD Super Multi drive (Double Layer) compatibility : CD-ROM, CD-R, CD-RW, DVD-ROM, DVD-R, DVD-R(DL), DVD-RW, DVD+R, DVD+R(DL), DVD+RW, DVD-RAM
                          maximum speed : Read: 24x CD-ROM, 8x DVD-ROM/ Write: 24x CD-R, 4x CD-RW, 10x HS CD-RW, 24x US CD-RW, 8x DVD-R, 6x DVD-R (Double Layer), 6x DVD-RW, 8x DVD+R, 6x DVD+R (Double Layer), 8x DVD+RW, 5x DVD-RAM
                          type : DVD Super Multi (Double Layer) drive

Display size : 18.4 "
                          type : Toshiba TruBrite® Full HD TFT High Brightness display
                          internal resolution : 1,920 x 1,080

Graphics adapter manufacturer : NVIDIA®
                          type : NVIDIA® GeForce® 9600M GT supporting TurboCache™ technology
                          memory : 512 MB dedicated VRAM (up to 1,791 MB total available graphics memory using TurboCache™ technology with 3 GB system memory)
                          memory type : GDDR2 (400 MHz) Video RAM (resp. Video RAM and system memory combined)
                          connected bus : 16x PCI Express

Max External Video Modes Max Resolution : 2,048 x 1,536
                          Max Refresh Rate : 100 Hz
                          Non-interlaced resolution with max refresh rate : 1,920 x 1,200

TV tuner manufacturer : Toshiba
                          type : hybrid digital (DVB-T) and analog TV tuner

Interfaces 1 x DC-in
                          1 x RJ-11
                          1 x RJ-45
                          1 x i.LINK® (IEEE 1394)
                          1 x external microphone
                          1 x RGB
                          1 x headphone (stereo)
                          1 x TV-antenna
                          1 x line-in shared with microphone socket
                          1 x S/PDIF-out (optical) shared with headphone socket
                          1 x integrated 1.3 Megapixels Web Camera with built-in microphone
                          1 x HDMI-CEC (REGZA-Link) supporting 1080p signal format
                          1 (shared with one USB port) x eSATA
                          1 x line-out shared with headphone socket
                          1 x 5-in-1 Bridge Media slot (supports SD™ Cards up to 16 GB, Memory Stick® up to 256 MB, Memory Stick Pro™ up to 4 GB, MultiMedia Card™ up to 2 GB and xD-Picture Card™ up to 2 GB)
                          2 x IR Blaster-out
                          4 (Left 1, Right 2, Rear 1) x USB 2.0 (supporting USB Sleep-and-Charge)

Expansion 2 x memory slots (1 to configure)
                          1 x ExpressCard slot

Wireless communication Wireless Technology : Bluetooth®
                          Compliancy : Wi-Fi™
                          Network Support : 802.11a/g/Draft-N
                          Wireless Technology : Wireless LAN (802.11a/g/Draft-N)

Media Processor processor type : Toshiba Quad Core HD Processor supporting four 128bit SIMD RISC processors (1.5 GHz each) integrating high-definition H.264 and MPEG2 encoders/decoders, and featuring Upconvert, Transcoding, Face Navigation and Gesture Control functionality

Wired communication topology : international V.90 modem (V.92 ready)
                          speed : 56 Kbps data and 14.4 Kbps fax
                          topology : Gigabit Ethernet LAN
                          speed : 10BASE-T/100BASE-TX/1000BASE-T

Sound system supported audio format : 24-bit stereo
                          speakers : built-in Harman Kardon® stereo speaker system with 2 x bass reflex speakers and 1 x subwoofer
                          manufacturer : Toshiba Bass Enhanced Sound System with Dolby® Sound Room™

Keyboard keys : 105
                          Windows keys : Yes
                          special features : Standard numeric keypad

Pointing device type : Touch Pad

Battery technology : lithium-ion
                          maximum life : up to 3h15min (Mobile Mark™ 2007)

AC adaptor input voltage : autosensing AC adapter (100/240 V) for worldwide usage

Physical dimensions W x D x H : 452.3 x 311.0 x 38.2 (front) / 48.3 (rear) mm
                          weight : starting at 4.4 kg

Warranty 1-year international warranty. Upgrade your standard warranty with Toshiba warranty extension, uplift and all-risks insurance packs.

Bundled hardware AC Power Cable
                          AC adaptor
                          Remote Control for Windows Vista®
                          IR Transmitter cable

Bundled software Toshiba Disc Creator
                          Toshiba User's Manual
                          Supervisor Password Utility
                          Chicony Camera Assistant Software
                          Toshiba DVD Player
                          Ulead® DVD MovieFactory® for TOSHIBA
                          Toshiba Face Recognition
                          McAfee® Internet Security Suite - Toshiba Edition (includes free Internet updates for 30 days)
                          Toshiba Recovery Disc Creator
                          Dolby® Control Center
                          HDMI Control Manager
                          Microsoft® Works, Microsoft® Office Home and Student 2007 (free 60-day trial)
                          Toshiba Value Added Package (Toshiba Power Saver, Toshiba Zooming Utility, Toshiba PC Diagnostic Tool, Toshiba Flash Cards, Toshiba Components Common Driver, Toshiba Accessibility, Toshiba Button Support)
                          Google Software (Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer, Google Desktop, Picasa)
                          Toshiba Gesture Control
                          Toshiba Bluetooth™ Monitor
                          Toshiba Bluetooth™ Stack
                          Connectivity Doctor
                          ConfigFree™
                          Toshiba utilities and drivers
                          Toshiba Assist

Toshiba EasyMedia 'Full HD'-Screen (1080p)
                          S/PDIF
                          Harman Kardon® Stereo Speakers
                          Dolby® Sound Room™
                          Dual HDD
                          Toshiba ConfigFree™
                          Integrated Bridge Media Adapter
                          Diversity Antenna
                          Built-in camera & microphone
                          Wireless LAN (802.11a/b/g/ Draft-N)
                          Fingerprint Reader-Single Sign On
                          Remote Control
                          Easy Keys
                          Toshiba Flash Cards
                          Smart Display Support
                          Toshiba Face Recognition
                          McAfee® Internet Security Suite - Toshiba Edition
                          Bluetooth® 2.1 with EDR
                          HDMI-CEC (REGZA-Link)
                          USB & USB/eSATA Sleep-and-Charge
                          Google Software (Google Toolbar for Internet Explorer, Google Desktop, Picasa)
                          Toshiba TEMPRO Performance Tuning Service
                          Toshiba Quad Core HD Processor featuring Upconvert, Transcoding, Face Navigation and Gesture Control functionality
                          Digital /anlog TV-Tuner

Security features main hard disk (by screw)
                          main battery pack (by sliding latch)
                          system password security
                          user password
                          slot for Kensington Cable Lock
                          supervisor password
                          keyboard lock
                          main memory (by screw)
                          HDD password on request

Special features integrated 1.3 Megapixels Web Camera for Video over IP
                          Enhanced Intel® SpeedStep® Technology
                          integrated microphone for Voice over IP
                          SM BIOS compliant
                          Multimedia Bar with 9 feather-touch Easy Keys (CD/DVD launcher, Play/Pause, Stop, Rewind, Forward, Mute, on/off function of white LEDs, Camera, Dolby)

Certification This product is in compliance with the requirements of the applicable European Directives for CE marking.

Fingerprint reader. Whatever next?

Comment

*skips past technobabble with fingers in ears*

From Joe's blog:
                            GateFanSamJack writes: “Will there be dune buggies or monster trucks in SGU?”

Answer: None of the above. Instead, when off-world, the gang will drive around in a purple van dubbed The Mystery Machine and solve crimes. Cool, huh?
                            This may be as close as we get to having the Hippy Van on Joe's blog.
                            sigpic

Comment

Yep, that helps Um... not sure what overclocks means

Here's a link to the whole spec of the one I'm looking at. A lot of it I understand, a lot of it I don't So you're opinion wood be very much appreciated
                              Great processor, nice sized RAM and Hard disk, NVIDIA® GeForce graphic ... I can't see anything wrong with it.

The fingerprint reader is a great tool to keep others from poking around your stuff when you're not looking.
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by luvnjack View Post
                                *skips past technobabble with fingers in ears*

From Joe's blog:

This may be as close as we get to having the Hippy Van on Joe's blog.
                                Yes, that had me giggling this morning Joe really seems to be on a happy high atm *hugs him* Nice to know that things are going really well for him

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                                Great processor, nice sized RAM and Hard disk, NVIDIA® GeForce graphic ... I can't see anything wrong with it.
                                That's what I thought I was looking for, but it's nice to have another opinion

The fingerprint reader is a great tool to keep others from poking around your stuff when you're not looking.
                                Oh yes, this one will definitely not be available to the boys

What's 'face recognition'? Will it refuse to work for me if I've had a late night and look like c**p???

Comment

Working...
                                X