• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
    *hugs back*

Families, huh?
    Exactly!!

I'm enjoying it too, although.........

Spoiler:
    I did think there was a bit too much silliness on the part of the Doc last week

Definitely, although to be honest I think Ellie just enjoys the whole thing too much to notice
    sigpic
    Thank you ladygris for my lovely sig and avi

Comment

Evening

I've spent the afternoon with a whole bunch of toddlers at James's birthday party. Toddler politics are highly entertaining to watch, especially when their burgeoning sense of ownership comes into play...

*hugs* Jumble and MR for family woes* I think you're entirely justified in having a little rant, Jumble, it's not too much to ask at all.

MR, awww at your James! All squidgy!
      sigpic
      Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
        Evening

I've spent the afternoon with a whole bunch of toddlers at James's birthday party. Toddler politics are highly entertaining to watch, especially when their burgeoning sense of ownership comes into play...
        That's how I spend my working days - fascinating isn't it? At his next birthday it will all be different again

*hugs* Jumble and MR for family woes* I think you're entirely justified in having a little rant, Jumble, it's not too much to ask at all.

*hugs back* See? You'd make a much better daughter

Just don't tell Suz

Comment

This pic immediately made me think of James...........

Comment

That's how I spend my working days - fascinating isn't it? At his next birthday it will all be different again
            Absolutely fascinating. James was not a fan of the other children playing with his new toys, and some of the other children were less than keen on handing over their presents to James

*hugs back* See? You'd make a much better daughter

Just don't tell Suz

My parents' car broke down earlier in the week, when my dad was collecting James. James didn't manage to fix it himself () but he was very excited about the man coming to fix it
            sigpic
            Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Absolutely fascinating. James was not a fan of the other children playing with his new toys, and some of the other children were less than keen on handing over their presents to James
              Fairly typical of two-year-olds - takes quite a while before they get the idea of giving presents when they're not getting one themselves

My parents' car broke down earlier in the week, when my dad was collecting James. James didn't manage to fix it himself () but he was very excited about the man coming to fix it
              Stuart and Ally took Lee and Joel on holiday a few weeks ago - the highlight of the week was getting to ride in the AA truck when they broke down on the way there

Comment

Originally posted by clairec007 View Post
                Looking forward to meeting up with loads of WooHoos in 8 weeks
                Me too!

Evening

I bet!

What Josi said.

Great find.
                sigpic
                Big thanks to josi for avi and sig

Comment

Jumble that's a great pic
                  *squishy huggles for families*

MR that pic of your James is gorgeous!!! So so cute!

Comment

*huggles Sarai*

All our little WooHoo Jameses are so cute!

Comment

*major hugs for family issues* - been there, still am...my eldest stepdaughter only calls when she wants something, lives the absolute closest (within a mile or so) yet does not come by. Now, my oldest (natural)daughter calls me several times a week, usually on her way home from work, just because she wants to chat. And she always calls me for advice - everything from fashion to parenting. There are frequent visits between our two homes. My youngest can go months without talking with her father or me, and that seems to be just fine for both of us. When she's with us, either in person or on the phone, she is with us 100% - not constantly checking her phone etc. like the oldest one. Ah well.

Today's bits:

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                        *major hugs for family issues* - been there, still am...my eldest stepdaughter only calls when she wants something, lives the absolute closest (within a mile or so) yet does not come by. Now, my oldest (natural)daughter calls me several times a week, usually on her way home from work, just because she wants to chat. And she always calls me for advice - everything from fashion to parenting. There are frequent visits between our two homes. My youngest can go months without talking with her father or me, and that seems to be just fine for both of us. When she's with us, either in person or on the phone, she is with us 100% - not constantly checking her phone etc. like the oldest one. Ah well.
                        Maybe it's about being the eldest? I don't know. Maybe I should just ask Jo what the problem is - maybe she's been wondering why I haven't been in touch for awhile I just wood have thought that having not heard from me for a couple of months she might just call to see why? Or if there was a problem with me? She doesn't contact Suz either unless she needs a babysitter, which annoys Suz too

Nad, stop lurking!

Comment

Maybe trying to talk to Jo about what's bothering you about her behavior? Or you and Suz talking to her together, since it's bothering both of you...
                          sigpic
                          Big thanks to josi for avi and sig

Comment

Originally posted by Devilish Me View Post
                            Maybe trying to talk to Jo about what's bothering you about her behavior? Or you and Suz talking to her together, since it's bothering both of you...
                            Suz has reached the point where she's so hurt that she just refuses to care anymore.... but yes, I really should talk to Jo about it. Just a case of picking the right moment

Comment

Huggles Jumble. Families eh. Sometimes I think you have to accept that there's influences outside your parenting that come into play and, frankly, once they start school, you're quite often battling against other people's parenting skills too.

Bejabubs has started hitting me when he's frustrated. It's not hard or anything but that's not the point. I am not having any of that and, oh he knows it. Problem is, this is also coinciding with my diminishing "punishment power". Up until now, the one thing that was always effective to get him to toe the line was a "no bedttime story" threat (yeah, I know! ) But now he can read pretty much everything put in front of him for himself. As it is, I don't think he's worked out that he doesn't actually need me to read it (or perhaps he gets an emotional comfort from it) so it's still working but I can see I may need to think of a new punishment threat in the near future.
                              Point is, he hasn't learnt to hit from his home life so I can only assume it's either a boy/testosterone thing or he's watched his school friends doing it to each other. So hard to accept your little ones are no longer entirely influenced by you.

I did a whole "I'm not contacting you" experiment with some elements of my family a while back - I think we talked about it actually and you know who the big bads are in my little horror story of a family ). It was quite telling. There's a few people who I realise took a lot from me - not necessarily physical but certainly emotional etc. and gave very little back. And it seems also have really selective memories and only "see" what they want to. Whole histories have been re-written in the last couple of years; it'd be funny if it wasn't so tragic. I've got to the point where I really can't be bothered with people who make me feel like poo anymore. Life's too short and happiness too transient; grab it while it's there, when it's there and make the best of it you damn well can and don't let the idiots drag you down to their level. I made a decision to free myself from the negatives and now have a whole bunch of folks in my family are in the "weddings, christenings and funerals only" pile. It's been 4 months now and I don't miss it/them a little bit. I know it's not that easy for you, because it's your children and you can't just walk away that easily. *huggles* but sometimes it's a case of accepting people are what they are and accepting whether you love them enough to live with that anyway.

Oooh way too deep for a Saturday night... opps sorry, Sunday morning. If my PB account was actually working I'd picspam us back into woohoo'ey silliness. In lieu of that, here's something I want, desperately. Looks like so much fun!

Oooh all the James woohoos. Lovely pic.
                              sigpic

Comment

You're absolutely right, Cags, in most of what you say about the family thing. I also have the problem that Jo and I are alike in many ways - both stubborn! We don't spend much time together because we don't get on that well, mainly we just don't have much in common. And I know she disapproves of my refusal to grow old gracefully and was pretty much appalled that I went all the way to Vancouver just to meet Martin She also gets really put out when I say I can't babysit because I've got friends coming to stay, or I'm off on another WooHooMeet. She makes me feel that I shouldn't be going out and having fun, certainly not if it interferes with her plans to do just that

Gah! I should just wear purple and learn to spit

As for Ben and his bedtime story - don't kid yourself that he doesn't still need you to do that, or that he won't need it soon. It's his special time with you, and even if he doesn't admit it he wood miss it if it stopped. And hitting? Most kids go through that phase at some point - you just need to keep telling him that it's unacceptable and hurtful, and hope that he gets the message. A child that's not used to being hit doesn't really get how it feels to be whacked by somebody he/she loves, so you have to explain that to him. Kids that are used to it understand how it feels but accept that it's 'normal' and do as they are done by - sadly My Rob once told me he'd rather I hit him than shout or get upset with his behaviour - love is a powerful weapon

As for flying - give me a 747 anytime! Anything smaller is just scary

Anywoo.......... when are you and Ben coming down for Sunday lunch? We talked about it in April but never made a definite plan - you must be suffering creme brulee withdrawal by now, surely?

Comment

Working...
                                X