The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
    It is. At least, to me, who is in my second year of a six-year university course, and has never written a thesis. Do they defend them in the UK, too? I'm curious.
    Hi gang. I just wanted to answer that, yes, students here have to defend their thesis too.
    sigpic

Comment

Awww! I just got a message from one of my supervisor at the dance school. It was a forward of a message from the mother of one of my kids. She wrote to say thank you and how great me and the other teacher were with the kids, and she joined a picture of the class where you see the two of us with the kids and just awww! So cute! It just warms my heart. The mother says that Lily (her daughter) still talks about her class, and that she will absolutely come back in September. It's so nice to know you make a difference and make a child happy.
      sigpic
      Live Peace. Speak Kindness. Dwell in possibility.
      My Livejournal. | My fanfictions. | My videos. | My twitter.
      Beautiful avi and sig are birthday presents fom josiane!

Comment

Originally posted by starlover View Post
        From my PoV it's not weird; I don't know any different! Everyone in here has to "defend" his/her thesis...and from what I remember for some uni's in the USA you have to do it as well. If you know what you wrote and stand behind it and are convincing enough you'll do well I think!
        To compare it with SG; it's like you wrote a report and did research to if S/J are a couple and your conclusion was they are. You have to defend your reasons why you made that conclusion from the research.
        Perfectly normal here. In Oxford (and maybe elsewhere too, though I never assume what we call things is the same anywhere else...) it's called a viva - short for viva voce which is Latin for orally (live voice). You don't pass until you've passed your viva

*huggles all*
        sigpic
        Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

In America, you defend a thesis at the doctoral level only. I didn't have to do that for my bachelor's or my master's degrees...but when I reached doctorate, they change the rules Actually, it does have a lot to do with knowing your subject (and by the time you've done all that damn research and pulled everything together, you'd better know it).
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by llp View Post
            The only reason they would really question what you wrote is if you came up with some really outlandish statement = like we are the descendants of the people of Mars or something - come to think of it, not sure that is so outlandish!

Oh dunno, the stuff I've seen on the www. Sounds pretty normal to me!

Originally posted by LadyGalaxyJ View Post
            Buying stuff is something I absolutely cannot do when I'm feeling down because then I look at my bank account and feel even more depressed, lol. Personally, I need to move. I go to dance school or to the gym and workout. Best way to get some adrenaline in my system, and I feel better in no time.
            Sod the bank balance I say. Then again, I have just renewed my car insurance for lots of lolly so £30 on a few plants that I don't need and haven't got room for is pretty small fry for what I have just spent.
            You're right about the exercise though and I did think of doing half an hour with Steve or Devon this evening but just could not drum up the enthusiasm to do so. Otherwise I probably would have felt better for it. I made bread instead and then went and potted up some tomato plants. And later I sat and painstakingly scanned another box of slides from my USA holiday all those years ago. How skinny was I? How curly was my spiral perm! How beautiful is Yosemite! Only another 194 slides to scan.

Originally posted by josiane View Post
            Perfectly normal here. In Oxford (and maybe elsewhere too, though I never assume what we call things is the same anywhere else...) it's called a viva - short for viva voce which is Latin for orally (live voice). You don't pass until you've passed your viva

*huggles all*
            How typical that the UK call it something different.

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
            In America, you defend a thesis at the doctoral level only. I didn't have to do that for my bachelor's or my master's degrees...but when I reached doctorate, they change the rules Actually, it does have a lot to do with knowing your subject (and by the time you've done all that damn research and pulled everything together, you'd better know it).
            Ah, see I was going to say that I am sure Pol was defending her thesis a few weeks back but that makes sense as it was doctoral level. I just thought it was an American thing as I'd not heard of it but (see above) now I know why.

Damn multiquote has gone AWOL...Jumble, face it, if you're a sport lover, this year is going to be hell. Euro championships, then Ascot, then Wimbledon, then (I think) we might get a couple of weeks relief and we're into the olympics... Fortunately I'm not a big TV watcher so I can just turn it off and read a book or scan more pictures or go potter in the garden (or... pleasepleasepleaseifwegetsomeniceweather go for a splash in the pool).

Speaking of Olympics, did I tell you guys my stepson is going to be a torch bearer? Yep, In Lincoln on the 27th June. I'd love to go see him and take Benjabubs to see his big brother but... school day and I already know they absolutely will not authorise a single day off for any reason whatsoever. They refused one child in his year a day off for his uncle's wedding. This is reception year, mind, first year of school and a whole year earlier than most of the rest of the world send their children to school so not like it'll wreck his entire future to miss one poxy day. Stupid bloody rules. I might just take him out anyway and poohbags to them if they don't like it!

I am all for extending the Party by a day for Canada day.

...and... *pokes LJ* Just because I can.
            Last edited by Cagranosalis; 12 June 2012, 03:56 PM. Reason: The formatting fairies decided to have a little dance on my paragraphs.
            sigpic

Comment

*Waves at DOJ*

*flails*

Which is the best mid-season two-parter?! AAAAAAH! I have to decide and vote and post a comment so I can be entered for a signed script! (See Joe's blog for details.)

*pulls out SG DVDs*
              sigpic

Comment

In Italy you have to defend a thesis in both cases but with a doctorate the discussion+questions is way longer. My presentation lasted almost an hour.
                sigpic
                My vids Sig made by me

Comment

Originally posted by Luvnjoe View Post
                  *Waves at DOJ*

*flails*

Which is the best mid-season two-parter?! AAAAAAH! I have to decide and vote and post a comment so I can be entered for a signed script! (See Joe's blog for details.)

*pulls out SG DVDs*
                  He hasn't included The Siege??? Aw

In that case, I'd have to go for The Storm and The Eye.

Edit: Nono! I've changed my mind - Lost Boys/The Hive is the best

Boobling for the AfA challenge - body parts...............

Last edited by Jumble; 13 June 2012, 03:40 AM.

Comment

But wasn't The Siege a season finale? That's probably why it's not there.

Great sig Jumble!
                    sigpic
                    Live Peace. Speak Kindness. Dwell in possibility.
                    My Livejournal. | My fanfictions. | My videos. | My twitter.
                    Beautiful avi and sig are birthday presents fom josiane!

Comment

Originally posted by LadyGalaxyJ View Post
                      But wasn't The Siege a season finale? That's probably why it's not there.
                      *headdesk* Of course it was, and a three-parter at that Blame the meds I'll go with Lost Boys/The Hive then

Great sig Jumble!
                      Thank you

Comment

More challenge boobling...........

Comment

Originally posted by Luvnjoe View Post
                          *Waves at DOJ*
                          *waves at Luvnjoe* (great name )

*waves to all the Woohoos*
                          sigpic

Comment

Beg to differ with you, but..........there are a few master programs that do require the candidate to speak publicly on their thesis topic in the US. Depends on the school and the major! But mostly, the presentation of a thesis is usually only for the doctorate candidates.
                            sigpic

Comment

oops! I'm only familiar with my university. thought they were all pretty much the same
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                                *waves at Luvnjoe* (great name )

*waves to all the Woohoos*
                                Thanks! Had to change it, after all these years...my love for Joe surpassed my love for Jack. Although...*ruffles Jack's hair*

I'm afraid I'm going to vote for one of the SGU eps. SO intense! Really, really loved SGU.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X