The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jumble View Post
    True In fact, I believe some turn out that way because of that. I learned very early on exactly how I wood not treat my children when I grew up

Yep, I would say that too. In fact I think in cases where it's really extreme / abnormal behaviour this is often the case because they do get to see what they experience is very different to normal when they go to school and start interacting with friends. I think it's cases where it's not abusive, neglectful but the stuff that isn't Child Protection type issues but that we know will shape children in a negative way that is the problem. Giving in to your child's every demand just to keep the peace, exposing them to cultural experiences that include things like latent prejudice letting kids see/hear age-inappropriate sex/violence/swearing. Over a long period this will mould a child who will then have to go out into a society that doesn't necessarily accept their behaviour... or worse it's so endemic among the community that you get things like little children in Iraq on telly cheering at 9/11. None of those parents are particularly bad parents and they probably all love their children and their children feel safe and loved by them, but it's still damaging.

On a sort of related note, I was watching a Panorama programme on adoption last night. I confess, I blubbed the whole way through. Not just for the kiddies, but also for some of the birth parents. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...bout_Adoption/

Dee, lovely to see you stranger. I'm glad you missed us...er... that didn't come out quite right!

Loving all the advent art. So beautiful. I really like how they're all quite Christmassy but in their own ways.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
      Spoiler:
      Yep, I would say that too. In fact I think in cases where it's really extreme / abnormal behaviour this is often the case because they do get to see what they experience is very different to normal when they go to school and start interacting with friends. I think it's cases where it's not abusive, neglectful but the stuff that isn't Child Protection type issues but that we know will shape children in a negative way that is the problem. Giving in to your child's every demand just to keep the peace, exposing them to cultural experiences that include things like latent prejudice letting kids see/hear age-inappropriate sex/violence/swearing. Over a long period this will mould a child who will then have to go out into a society that doesn't necessarily accept their behaviour... or worse it's so endemic among the community that you get things like little children in Iraq on telly cheering at 9/11. None of those parents are particularly bad parents and they probably all love their children and their children feel safe and loved by them, but it's still damaging.

On a sort of related note, I was watching a Panorama programme on adoption last night. I confess, I blubbed the whole way through. Not just for the kiddies, but also for some of the birth parents. http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...bout_Adoption/

Dee, lovely to see you stranger. I'm glad you missed us...er... that didn't come out quite right!

Loving all the advent art. So beautiful. I really like how they're all quite Christmassy but in their own ways.
      Cags! *smooches* That came out just right

It wont let me watch the ep Apparently it's only for the UK-ers. Ah, well.
      I would like to adopt one day, if I were to have kids that would be the way for me. Now, just to find some guy who agrees with me and woohoooooooooo! edit: of course there should be some love involved not just agreement on the kids...
      sigpic
      Big thanks to josi for avi and sig

Comment

Originally posted by Devilish Me View Post
        I have been feeling a bit sick lately
        Aw! Hope you're feeling better now *hugs*
        I've made some things for Martinmas already! Weeeee! *is trying to exercise self-control by not posting something now...*
        Yay! Did you see that we're having a Colour Theme for Martinmas? I'll see if I can find Nad's post........
        Edit: Oh! How was the Woohoomeet??! I mean, I'm sure it was great, but are there any compromising pictures? Any at all? lol, I almost wrote how was the shipmeet! *giggles*
        The WooHooMeet was AWESOME!!! So lovely to see Sarai and Dave in their new home And I think there was a little bit of drinking, and staying up until 4am two nights in a row And sooooo great to see Oma again Um..... pictures? Er....... I took my camera....... but I didn't take any pics
        There you have it - that's what causes most of the bad behaviour an violence that we so often see, IMO. Some parents just don't seem to understand that this 'quick fix' can lead to serious behavioural problems because their kids grow up expecting the rest of the world to pander to their every whim in the same way, and when they find that it doesn't they have trouble dealing with it, often resulting in violent and disruptive behaviour. Also, a lot more Mums have to work these days and that leads to feelings of guilt which often translate into 'spoiling' their children by giving them everything they think they want and letting them do as they please because they don't want to be disciplining them when they do get time to spend with them. I get very frustrated with parents that praise me for my ability to get their children to do as I ask, eat 'proper' meals, speak politely and behave nicely towards other people, whilst still achieving a loving relationship with them. I do try to get them to understand that this is very easy to do - all I do is give them clear guidelines, supported by lots of love and hugs
        Awesome, aren't they?
        Cags! *smooches* That came out just right. It wont let me watch the ep Apparently it's only for the UK-ers. Ah, well. I would like to adopt one day, if I were to have kids that would be the way for me. Now, just to find some guy who agrees with me and woohoooooooooo! edit: of course there should be some love involved not just agreement on the kids...
        You don't want to have your own kids? I'd be interested to know your views on that - privately if you prefer

Comment

*hugs WooHoos*

Yay for the advent, LG!

Yay ffor Ben's play, Cags. I've never met him, but I'm sure he really was the best.

Thanks for the artwork comments. Glad you guys liked it. I had a problem with the colouring and blending and... But yeah. Thanks

Great to see Jumble is willing to help Cags get fat.

Dee! *hugs*

*waits to see if Jumble managed to find my post.*
          I hid it.
          Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
          Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

Aw sorry Dee, I did wonder if it would be available outside the UK. There's my answer. I must admit I watched it and wanted to adopt them all. Er, not sure how that works. Adoption in the UK is so difficult. I have some friends who have been approved for 3 years still waiting for their match. It's ridiculous when there 's so many children who just want a loving home. Ah if I had another room in the house I might consider it. I would not have done so when Charles was alive because he always said it was something he wouldn't want to do (not for everyone I suppose) but it's certainly something I have thought about at times.
            sigpic

Comment

Reposting

Martinmas 2011

Do you enjoy Theme Parties?

No?

We do!

Martinmas 2011 will have... you guessed it... a theme! A Colour Theme!

It's just an addition to the festivities, so you decide what you'll do with it. Feel free to go with your own artsy farts if you want to, but here's what we oh so brilliantly came up with:

Every day will have a colour (or color) theme. you can base artwork on it, write what it unleashes within you (keep it PG!) or wear pants in said colour while posting. You can do anything you want. See a red door? Paint it black on Day 3!

We have randomly assigned colours to the days and here's what we came up with:

1. Purple
              2. Orange
              3. Black
              4. Green
              5. Blue
              6. Yellow
              7. Pink
              8. Pastels
              9. White
              10. Brown
              11. Red
              12. Multi Coloured!

Hope you'll join in, even if you do dislike theme parties.
              (I opted for ''Martinmas Under the Sea'', so this isn't *too* bad, right? )

Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post
                *hugs WooHoos*

Yay for the advent, LG!

Yay ffor Ben's play, Cags. I've never met him, but I'm sure he really was the best.

Thanks for the artwork comments. Glad you guys liked it. I had a problem with the colouring and blending and... But yeah. Thanks

Great to see Jumble is willing to help Cags get fat.
                That wasn't quite what I meant

In fact, if I help her eat the cheese I'll be saving her from it

Dee! *hugs*

*waits to see if Jumble managed to find my post.*
                I hid it.
                And I didn't file it

But I have now

I'm off to Anderson's, see you later

Comment

That wasn't quite what I meant

In fact, if I help her eat the cheese I'll be saving her from it
                  But... I liked my interpretation.

And I didn't file it

But I have now

I'm off to Anderson's, see you later

Now I know something's wrong with the world!

Have fun!

sigpic

Comment

Great to see you Dee! You have been missed.

Another lovely Advent LGL

True In fact, I believe some turn out that way because of that. I learned very early on exactly how I wood not treat my children when I grew up
                    Yes, me too! It was the best lesson in negative parenting possible
                    sigpic

Comment

Ooooh! Colors... Ohhhh! Martin - sea - wet - yum...uhm... Nobody saw that, right?

well, I have blue... and yellow! I have yellow! And maybe red, I'm not sure if it would qualify but it's not like there's clear guidance there! So if I say that blue is red... then well I should be worried yes? No. Because maybe blue is red! OR pink. I have pink! Yes! And there's red too. So, pink is red? I'm confused.

*runs to Nolamom and Nad in all my confusion, and huggles*

Aw! Hope you're feeling better now *hugs* Yay! Did you see that we're having a Colour Theme for Martinmas? I'll see if I can find Nad's post........

The WooHooMeet was AWESOME!!! So lovely to see Sarai and Dave in their new home And I think there was a little bit of drinking, and staying up until 4am two nights in a row And sooooo great to see Oma again Um..... pictures? Er....... I took my camera....... but I didn't take any pics
                      How could you forget to take any pics?! How are we supposed to know that the meeting took place at all!!!! . Does Dave actually exists, or is he another JOe? Not that Joe's not real. He is. But you could never take a picture of Joe...

You don't want to have your own kids? I'd be interested to know your views on that - privately if you prefer
                      Wow... this question has me in a crazy fit of writing and deleting. Idk, I always had better luck with the people in my life that I chose then the ones who are there because of blood. I guess, luck isn't the right word... maybe relationship. That's part of it, but I don't want to break GW with all this serious stuff, so I'll stop now

*wonders if it's too late *

Aw sorry Dee, I did wonder if it would be available outside the UK. There's my answer. I must admit I watched it and wanted to adopt them all. Er, not sure how that works. Adoption in the UK is so difficult. I have some friends who have been approved for 3 years still waiting for their match. It's ridiculous when there 's so many children who just want a loving home. Ah if I had another room in the house I might consider it. I would not have done so when Charles was alive because he always said it was something he wouldn't want to do (not for everyone I suppose) but it's certainly something I have thought about at times.
                      It's difficult here too,as well as should be I think.
                      sigpic

Comment

I've been actually making some Martinart in appropriate colors since the list was posted - amazing, no?
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Nolamom View Post
                          I've been actually making some Martinart in appropriate colors since the list was posted - amazing, no?
                          That's just... wrong.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DutchIndeed View Post
                            But... I liked my interpretation.
                            You're just perverse

Now I know something's wrong with the world!

Have fun!
                            I know! I couldn't believe it either

And I did - had coffee with Stuart and told him how much we all enjoyed his chicken, ham and leek pie, which led to a discussion about how people don't know how to cook properly these days, don't use herbs and flavourings enough, blah blah blah........

Great to see you Dee! You have been missed.

Another lovely Advent LGL

Yes, me too! It was the best lesson in negative parenting possible
                            Indeed I do find it interesting though, to see how many people simply repeat their own bad childhood experiences by revisiting them on their own children. I can never understand that

Ooooh! Colors... Ohhhh! Martin - sea - wet - yum...uhm... Nobody saw that, right?
                            I did!

But you're alright, there's a special filter on this thread that prevents Martin from seeing any sentence with his name in it

I hope....

well, I have blue... and yellow! I have yellow! And maybe red, I'm not sure if it would qualify but it's not like there's clear guidance there! So if I say that blue is red... then well I should be worried yes? No. Because maybe blue is red! OR pink. I have pink! Yes! And there's red too. So, pink is red? I'm confused.

*runs to Nolamom and Nad in all my confusion, and huggles*
                            Stop it!! You're confusing everyone And a confused WooHoo can be a very dangerous thing.........

Basically, we've devised the Colour Theme to add a bit of interest (hopefully), but anyone can post any coloured artwork they like on any day I'm basing this on the fact that we pride ourselves on having NO RULEZ on this thread

How could you forget to take any pics?! How are we supposed to know that the meeting took place at all!!!! . Does Dave actually exists, or is he another JOe? Not that Joe's not real. He is. But you could never take a picture of Joe...
                            I'm sorry I was just having too much fun to remember to take pics. I'm not the only one - I didn't see Sarai's camera over the whole week-end

And yes, Dave really does exist...... I can still recall the smell of his aftershave........ yum!

Wow... this question has me in a crazy fit of writing and deleting. Idk, I always had better luck with the people in my life that I chose than the ones who are there because of blood. I guess, luck isn't the right word... maybe relationship. That's part of it, but I don't want to break GW with all this serious stuff, so I'll stop now

*wonders if it's too late *

It's difficult here too,as well as should be I think.
                            Ah, but it's different with your own children - you get to build your relationship with them from day one And even if you do fall out with them from time to time, you'll still love them and you'll always have that special relationship with them that you can't have with anyone else in the world

Having said that, it's also possible to have that same relationship with an adopted child Or even one that you just look after for a few years - you don't stop loving them, and you still remain a very important person in their lives long after they've moved on

I am totally unsurprised by this - in the last few months you've accepted every challenge and joined in with gusto! For which we are all very grateful

Comment

I am totally unsurprised by this - in the last few months you've accepted every challenge and joined in with gusto! For which we are all very grateful
                              It makes up for the rest of us slackers.

When does Martinmas start and end? I'm useless aren't I.
                              sigpic

Comment

It makes up for the rest of us slackers.

When does Martinmas start and end? I'm useless aren't I.
                                Yes, you are - I do keep posting this.......

Comment

Working...
                                X