Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by Jumble View Post




    I bet if she sees you she'll remember meeting you at AT5

    Then you could ask her to give Martin a WooHoo hug from us all
    I will do that for sure! A big squishy one.
    sigpic

    come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

    Comment


      Morning WooHoo's
      Long post alert!
      Spoiler:
      This past weekend was more stressful than I ever imagined that it could be and I was imagining quite a bit of stress. The hurricane that was coming was scaring the heck out of me with up to the minute reports of what it was doing in other states and what was expected here in CT. Interestingly enough, the hurricane ended up being the least of my worries.

      Friday morning my Charmaine was getting a second cup of coffee when she turned to me in a panic and said "something's wrong with my left arm." What she didn't realize, and what I could see very clearly, was that there was something wrong with her entire left side. She was falling and didn't realize it until I ran and caught her before she fell into the radiator.

      Her body was jerking uncontrollably as her brain tried to send signals to her left side but the signals were not getting through and the spasms continued. The ambulance took her to the hospital and we spent most of the day in the ER waiting to find out what we already suspected. She had had a stroke. It was in the right side of her brain which controls the left side of the body.

      She was able to speak, answer questions, remember everything clearly and follow commands. She did not have the use of her left side but as the days progressed and the swelling in the right brain subsided she regained almost full control. Her left hand is still a bit of a problem child but that will come back. Her doctor said she dodged a major bullet. She was blessed

      I am usually out of the house before 9:00 in the morning, except on Friday when I go into work in the late afternoon. This happened on Friday at 9:00AM. The doctor said she had actually had the stroke on Wednesday and that he had never see a case were the symptoms were delayed for two days. If the symptoms were there on Wednesday I would have been out of the house and who knows what would have happened. She is home now and will make a full recovery. She was and is blessed.

      While I was phoning my sister in RI to tell her I was rushing Charmaine to the hospital she was phoning me to tell me she was rushing my dad, who just had a lung removed, to the hospital. He had a huge lump on his back, about the size of a grapefruit. It turned out that the lump was fluid, not blood, not infection and very treatable. He was sent home before Irene hit. He was blessed too.

      My entire weekend from Friday to Monday is a blur of traveling back and forth between home and hospital. I would rush home do what I absolutely had to and then rush back to be with my Charmaine. If the hospital staff didn't make me leave at night I would have stayed overnight too. A hurricane was coming, I had forgotten about that which is funny since that was the thing I was terrified of on Thursday evening. By Sunday afternoon I was able to go back to the hospital and be with her and we utilized our cell phones during the day comparing hurricane notes. I was one of the lucky ones who never lost power so I was able to keep my cell phone charged for those so important communications. My heart goes out to those still without power.

      I find myself wishing that there was a "Sanctuary for Adults". We have no insurance, she has no job, she isn't able to collect unemployment so it's just my salary and the ambulance, doctor and hospital bills are all on their way. I can't pay my current bills each month and I now have huge bills on the way. It sucks to be one of those people that falls through the cracks. I am working and even though my salary is small it is enough to keep us from getting any kind of aid. Meanwhile people who come into this country are set up with welfare, medical aid, and food stamp assistance and rent assistance. I work, pay my taxes and do everything right but get no help at all. This past year since last October life has kind of sucked and I have had enough. I am ready for some good mojo. I hope it comes soon.

      *hugs*
      Bree
      sigpic

      Comment


        Bree- Did anyone at the hospital talk to you about applying for emergency medicaid? Since Char is unemployed, she may be eligible. It's worth a shot for dealing with the medical bills. Big hugs to both of you.

        And yet, our leadership thinks that health insurance is a privilege, not a right. You UK-ers may complain about the NHS, but at least you will never have to go bankrupt if you have a stroke or get cancer. THAT is the very unfortunate situation for too many here in the US.
        sigpic

        come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

        Comment


          Originally posted by Jumble View Post
          How is everyone today MoB? Well I'm fine, except that I am totally consumed with jealousy for your trip to DC - I hear Joe F will be handing out hugs..........



          *sees Jann lurking*

          *runz*

          Originally posted by starlover View Post
          I wanted to be there but couldn't(school and expired VISA and all )

          *sobs* Life's unfair...

          I want a hug from Joe!



          Hmpf.

          Evil....
          No need to feel jealous, JF had to cancel due to work committments.

          Originally posted by wine_buyer View Post
          Morning WooHoo's
          Long post alert!
          Spoiler:
          This past weekend was more stressful than I ever imagined that it could be and I was imagining quite a bit of stress. The hurricane that was coming was scaring the heck out of me with up to the minute reports of what it was doing in other states and what was expected here in CT. Interestingly enough, the hurricane ended up being the least of my worries.

          Friday morning my Charmaine was getting a second cup of coffee when she turned to me in a panic and said "something's wrong with my left arm." What she didn't realize, and what I could see very clearly, was that there was something wrong with her entire left side. She was falling and didn't realize it until I ran and caught her before she fell into the radiator.

          Her body was jerking uncontrollably as her brain tried to send signals to her left side but the signals were not getting through and the spasms continued. The ambulance took her to the hospital and we spent most of the day in the ER waiting to find out what we already suspected. She had had a stroke. It was in the right side of her brain which controls the left side of the body.

          She was able to speak, answer questions, remember everything clearly and follow commands. She did not have the use of her left side but as the days progressed and the swelling in the right brain subsided she regained almost full control. Her left hand is still a bit of a problem child but that will come back. Her doctor said she dodged a major bullet. She was blessed

          I am usually out of the house before 9:00 in the morning, except on Friday when I go into work in the late afternoon. This happened on Friday at 9:00AM. The doctor said she had actually had the stroke on Wednesday and that he had never see a case were the symptoms were delayed for two days. If the symptoms were there on Wednesday I would have been out of the house and who knows what would have happened. She is home now and will make a full recovery. She was and is blessed.

          While I was phoning my sister in RI to tell her I was rushing Charmaine to the hospital she was phoning me to tell me she was rushing my dad, who just had a lung removed, to the hospital. He had a huge lump on his back, about the size of a grapefruit. It turned out that the lump was fluid, not blood, not infection and very treatable. He was sent home before Irene hit. He was blessed too.

          My entire weekend from Friday to Monday is a blur of traveling back and forth between home and hospital. I would rush home do what I absolutely had to and then rush back to be with my Charmaine. If the hospital staff didn't make me leave at night I would have stayed overnight too. A hurricane was coming, I had forgotten about that which is funny since that was the thing I was terrified of on Thursday evening. By Sunday afternoon I was able to go back to the hospital and be with her and we utilized our cell phones during the day comparing hurricane notes. I was one of the lucky ones who never lost power so I was able to keep my cell phone charged for those so important communications. My heart goes out to those still without power.

          I find myself wishing that there was a "Sanctuary for Adults". We have no insurance, she has no job, she isn't able to collect unemployment so it's just my salary and the ambulance, doctor and hospital bills are all on their way. I can't pay my current bills each month and I now have huge bills on the way. It sucks to be one of those people that falls through the cracks. I am working and even though my salary is small it is enough to keep us from getting any kind of aid. Meanwhile people who come into this country are set up with welfare, medical aid, and food stamp assistance and rent assistance. I work, pay my taxes and do everything right but get no help at all. This past year since last October life has kind of sucked and I have had enough. I am ready for some good mojo. I hope it comes soon.

          *hugs*
          Bree
          Glad to hear some good news but sorry about the bills. Living in a country with Medicare that covers everyone it is hard for us to understand the attitude of many Americans who are against universal healthcare. Yes I pay higher taxes here than if I lived in the US but if it helps my fellow citizens (and it does) I have no problem with it. Bigger house and bigger car v. helping those in need? That's a no brainer.


          Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

          Comment


            Originally posted by EH-T View Post

            Glad to hear some good news but sorry about the bills. Living in a country with Medicare that covers everyone it is hard for us to understand the attitude of many Americans who are against universal healthcare. Yes I pay higher taxes here than if I lived in the US but if it helps my fellow citizens (and it does) I have no problem with it. Bigger house and bigger car v. helping those in need? That's a no brainer.
            My cousin and I had an argument about this a few year ago her reasoning being exactly what you said. Why should I have to pay more taxes so that OTHER people can have health insurance? When she asked me if I'd be okay paying an extra $200/mo out of my salary in taxes so everyone could be covered, I didn't even hesitate with the yes. It wouldn't cost me that much, but so what if it did? You never know when you are going to need it. Both of my previously healthy parents had cancer in the past 10 years. If they hadn't been covered, they would have gone completely bankrupt.
            sigpic

            come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

            Comment


              Originally posted by Jumble View Post
              Ah, the soulful-eyes-and-wagging-tail-combo! Works every time
              Yes...*sigh* I'll never get her trained

              Back to 'normal' life - brings you down to earth with a bump
              Blergh...after my internship school is a lot less attractive...but I should appreciate the laziness of it I think since it will all be over soon-ish!

              Btw Jumble I loved those pictures *drools*

              Originally posted by EH-T View Post
              No need to feel jealous, JF had to cancel due to work committments.
              That makes me feel a bit better!

              *huggles Bree* Good to hear that Char and your dad are getting better...sad part about the bills! I know exactly how high (and insane) they can be after my "visit" earlier this year...I'm still working on getting my Dutch insurance to pay the last part.
              I was actually surprised about how insanely high those bills in the US were...insane. You won't hear me complain about the Dutch system now!
              sigpic

              Comment


                *hugs WooHoos*

                *hugs Char and Bree*
                So happy to hear about Char and Dad being OK-ish now. Must have been intense .
                The US system sucks. It shouldn't be that way, it's not like Char went to the hospital because she likes the coffee... It's not a choice. It really is time for good things to happen again.
                Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

                sigpic
                Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website


                Comment


                  *huggles Bree* So sorry you've had to go through all this, but relieved to hear that Char and Dad are on the mend.

                  Ditto what Nad said.

                  Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
                  Bree- Did anyone at the hospital talk to you about applying for emergency medicaid? Since Char is unemployed, she may be eligible. It's worth a shot for dealing with the medical bills. Big hugs to both of you.

                  And yet, our leadership thinks that health insurance is a privilege, not a right. You UK-ers may complain about the NHS, but at least you will never have to go bankrupt if you have a stroke or get cancer. THAT is the very unfortunate situation for too many here in the US.
                  You'll never hear me complain about the NHS - I've had my life saved three times (and my daughter's twice) by our wonderful doctors and nurses, and I can't imagine what it wood be like to go through that whilst having to worry about how the bills wood get paid. There are problems within the NHS it's true, but at least we know it'll always take care of us in an emergency

                  Originally posted by EH-T View Post
                  No need to feel jealous, JF had to cancel due to work committments.
                  Oh, what a shame for the fans that were looking forward to seeing him



                  Glad to hear some good news but sorry about the bills. Living in a country with Medicare that covers everyone it is hard for us to understand the attitude of many Americans who are against universal healthcare. Yes I pay higher taxes here than if I lived in the US but if it helps my fellow citizens (and it does) I have no problem with it. Bigger house and bigger car v. helping those in need? That's a no brainer.
                  The American system seems utterly crazy to me Good to know the Canadians are of a more generous nature.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Jumble View Post
                    *huggles Bree* So sorry you've had to go through all this, but relieved to hear that Char and Dad are on the mend.

                    Ditto what Nad said.

                    You'll never hear me complain about the NHS - I've had my life saved three times (and my daughter's twice) by our wonderful doctors and nurses, and I can't imagine what it wood be like to go through that whilst having to worry about how the bills wood get paid. There are problems within the NHS it's true, but at least we know it'll always take care of us in an emergency

                    The American system seems utterly crazy to me Good to know the Canadians are of a more generous nature.
                    Actually most Americans are very generous of their time and money, but they don't have the power (which means lots of $$$) to change things. Mind you, I like to complain about my taxes, but I would have gladly paid extra to help everyone get some kind of insurance. These idiots who prevent this from happening do not realize how much preventive medicine saves money in the long run. However, there are those in this country that say every person for themselves (that is until they are the ones in need). This country is sadly run by the extremely rich (which is less than 1% of the population) who wield the power with an iron fist. Even now, there are those trying to undermine the new health care laws that provide insurance to some, but not all those that need it. I've chosen to go without insurance for the last 2 1/2 years and pay as I go. Fortunately, I can afford to still get my yearly checkups and pay for my own minor surguries! Most people who don't have insurance can do that.

                    One very strange thing. I had to have MOLS surgery last year to remove skin cancer on my noise. Not a major surgery, but the doctors wanted to charge me about $4000. My dermatologist suggested somone (who turned out to be one of the top surgeons in that field) and he might give me a lower price. He charged me $1200 because I had no insurance and he did a beautiful job. But still, many couldn't even afford that in this economy!

                    Luckily I'll be on medicare in about 5 months (except that I have to be 65 )
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                      Evening Woohoos

                      Originally posted by m_wendy_r View Post
                      I've only recently gotten into it due to nice bit of fate when the Season 1 DVDs happened to end up in my collection. I've seen S1 and a few episodes of S2 (thanks to the WooHoos) and soooo I ordered the full series DVDs because a) really good price and b) I'm a bit addicted!

                      I think I'll be rewatching it for years to come, too!
                      So excited for you getting to watch it all for the first time! And I can vouch for the fact that it can bear endless rewatches Hope the DVDs have turned up and today has been a better day

                      Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
                      Yes, she does, doesn't she. If I come across her this weekend I will be sure to flash the woohoo pride. Hmm... that sounds bad
                      Have a fabulous time! Hope you do get to see Amanda, and yay for wearing the woohoo badge loud and proud

                      Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
                      Bree- Did anyone at the hospital talk to you about applying for emergency medicaid? Since Char is unemployed, she may be eligible. It's worth a shot for dealing with the medical bills. Big hugs to both of you.

                      And yet, our leadership thinks that health insurance is a privilege, not a right. You UK-ers may complain about the NHS, but at least you will never have to go bankrupt if you have a stroke or get cancer. THAT is the very unfortunate situation for too many here in the US.
                      Amen to that. The American system totally baffles non-Americans - as you say, access to healthcare should be a basic human right, not something that you have to buy and get into debt if you can't afford and don't have insurance. Bree, I'm so sorry to hear about your awful weekend and I hope you can sort things out with the bills to come. But thank goodness Char is ok and your dad too and that things aren't as bad as they could so easily have been. Big hugs to all of you.
                      sigpic
                      Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by llp View Post
                        1. Actually most Americans are very generous of their time and money, but they don't have the power <snip>
                        2. I've chosen to go without insurance for the last 2 1/2 years and pay as I go. Fortunately, I can afford to still get my yearly checkups and pay for my own minor surguries! Most people who don't have insurance can do that.

                        3. Luckily I'll be on medicare in about 5 months (except that I have to be 65 )
                        1. Agreed.

                        2. I had to opt out of my COBRA after 2 months because, at $650/mo it was so much more than I could possibly afford. So, now, for a bit under $200/mo I have an indemnity plan that will cover me if I am hospitalized or need emergency care or get cancer etc, but doesn't cover more basic services or Rx drugs. It does cover basic health promotion/disease prevention screenings such as mammograms and paps though, which is good. But what's interesting is that if I were to get pregnant, it would cover the cost of my delivery, but NOT my prenatal care. Anyhow, what's interesting about the cost of my COBRA? What I was paying PER MONTH will be approximately what I will pay PER YEAR for full coverage when I move to Canada until I get my permanent resident status!

                        3. There is something good about turning 65! There are tea partiers out there who want to take away medicare too. What they forget is that the number one killer of people over 60 used to be poverty. Exacerbated by difficulty paying medical bills. *sigh*
                        sigpic

                        come tweet with me! LJ Friends Creative LJ* AO3 * FF.net banners by my talented friends

                        Comment


                          Bree -- *hugs so much* I hope things look up very soon for you all. Thinking of you



                          Yes, the NHS has it's problems and it would be crazy to say it's perfect because it's definitely not, but healthcare should be a right and you shouldn't have to added worry of paying for it. I have never been able to understand those in say the US who don't want universal healthcare at all, even if the system is flawed.


                          Originally posted by Jumble View Post

                          *huggles for bad day*

                          Doesn't she have a key?
                          Yes, she does. Strangely, she didn't have the key to the door they were knocking at - but, she did have the key for the front door and they could have walked round. It's not like they were locked out or anything. I still don't get it, but he apologised to me today so I'm going to let it go.

                          *huggles*
                          Last edited by m_wendy_r; 31 August 2011, 02:09 PM. Reason: getting distracted by the tv...
                          sigpic
                          Made by the lovely Jakie

                          Comment


                            For some reason, this quote didn't appear when I tried to post...

                            Originally posted by josiane View Post

                            So excited for you getting to watch it all for the first time! And I can vouch for the fact that it can bear endless rewatches Hope the DVDs have turned up and today has been a better day

                            They have The box set looks AMAZING. I was so happy to see that it had arrived when I came home from work

                            Today has been better than yesterday, yes. I hope it has been a good day for everyone else, and if not, that tomorrow is better. I have medical appointments for the rest of the week - but that's okay, too, because it might help calm the worrying that's been the past two months and more.
                            sigpic
                            Made by the lovely Jakie

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by MidwifeOnBoard View Post
                              1. Agreed.

                              2. I had to opt out of my COBRA after 2 months because, at $650/mo it was so much more than I could possibly afford. So, now, for a bit under $200/mo I have an indemnity plan that will cover me if I am hospitalized or need emergency care or get cancer etc, but doesn't cover more basic services or Rx drugs. It does cover basic health promotion/disease prevention screenings such as mammograms and paps though, which is good. But what's interesting is that if I were to get pregnant, it would cover the cost of my delivery, but NOT my prenatal care. Anyhow, what's interesting about the cost of my COBRA? What I was paying PER MONTH will be approximately what I will pay PER YEAR for full coverage when I move to Canada until I get my permanent resident status!

                              3. There is something good about turning 65! There are tea partiers out there who want to take away medicare too. What they forget is that the number one killer of people over 60 used to be poverty. Exacerbated by difficulty paying medical bills. *sigh*
                              Reply to #2 - I also had COBRA and it was about $450 per month. Thought it was way to expensive. I still get medical services when I need it and it has cost me a hell of a lot less - but then I'm also taking a chance that I don't get really sick! Medicare starts Feb 1st!

                              Reply to #3 - Yes turning 65 means medicare and social security - unless the tea party gets their mean small minded hands on them. Please don't get me started with those lunatics! They could be the ruination of a once great nation!
                              sigpic

                              Comment


                                *hugs wooohooos* I don't have much time to post but I'm very much in the loop.

                                Hugggggeeee good mojo sending to Bree!

                                I'm glad to see that everyone is alright after the huricane...those things scare me...

                                *squeeshy hugs again* miss you lots!
                                sigpic
                                Big thanks to josi for avi and sig

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X