The Martin WooHoodStock Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jumble, check your e-mail.

No news on Mom. Dad sounded so frazzled, I thought I'd just call in the morning and see what the Drs have to say then.

I am up WAY too late (again). See you in a few hours!
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by luvnjack View Post
      Jumble, check your e-mail.
      Got it

No news on Mom. Dad sounded so frazzled, I thought I'd just call in the morning and see what the Drs have to say then.

I am up WAY too late (again). See you in a few hours!
      That's probably best

See you later

Spamming with the new pics again

What?

Oh come on, you can't give me new toys and expect me not to play

Comment

*Yawn* Morning, Woohoos. Quiet day on the thread, I see.
        sigpic

Comment

I have no choice but to spam the thread with Joe pics...

sigpic

Comment

I've only managed to watch the first part of the CotG recut. I'm up to where Daniel is showing them the Abydos cartouche for the first time. Thoughts and observations thus far....

Spoiler:
            First of all, cool intro! Really makes it movie-like. We start out in space and zoom in closer and closer thru rock until we do a spiral above the gateroom where the airmen are playing cards. In a way it reminded me of the first part of Continuum.

This first scene they tightened up quite a bit, got rid of extraneous chit-chat and sort of jumped right to the gate dialing up and the Jaffa coming through. Darren was right...the puddle is much bluer this time although on the close-ups they didn't switch it out. I personally wouldn't have even noticed that unless I'd read it before hand, so I'm not sure that it makes a big deal. And yes..this time the gate does shut down and is redialed before Apophis and his people leave.

I just watched the original last night, so it was fresh in my memory and there are lots of little edits here and there that, imho, improve things alot. They're too many to go into anyway. They did take out the line about Kawalski not knowing Jack had a son, as that was not consistent with subsequent canon.

Now...to the important stuff.

Tbh, I have mixed feelings. That great sillhouetted pause of Sam in the door as she's about to enter the room is gone. You can see her walking down the hall over Hammond's shoulder as he explains that Capt. Carter is the expert on the Stargate. I kind of miss that little beat, although considering that they've really downplayed the whole "woman in a man's world" aspect, it's consistent. They've tried, I think, to give us the Sam we know later on here, whose abilities and talents speak for themselves without the issue of gender getting in the way.

To that end, after Kawalski says: "But you go by Sam." that whole "You don't have to worry...I played with dolls..." exchange is gone. She gives him a withering look and then Hammond speaks up and it's clear the matter is put to rest. The question about whether or not she's ever flown a simulated bombing run is still in there, and it seems to me that there is a much more impressed response by everyone when she replies that she has. Feretti still tells her it's like coming through a blizzard...but the "naked" part is gone. When Sam goes into the explanation about the molecules being decompressed, we still get Jack's reaction to her being a scientist and the exchange about her being a theoretical astrophysicist. Here's where I get a slight disconnect..

Jack: Which means...
            Hammond: Which means she's way smarter than you are, Colonel. Especially on matters of the Stargate.
            (Feretti and Kawalski are snickering. There's an extended pause as Jack slowly sits down)
            Jack: Oh this has nothing to do with you being a woman...I like women. I just have a little problem with scientists

I'm not sure where that line about him not having a problem with women follows from, unless we're to assume that it follows from Kawalski's poke at Sam's name earlier and the bit about the F16 simulation run and their now silent, although still present, gender bias against her, which is what causes them to snicker when Hammond tells Jack Sam is way smarter than he is. Again, it might be because I know what used to be there and someone who wasn't that familiar with it might not see it as an almost non-sequitur.

I will say, that I find Sam's voice here a little richer than I recall, and I think that this is perhaps some of the voice over work AT did. It sounds like Sam today in spots a little more than the Sam of back then.

Now...for all that this scene is whittled down, there is one awesome addition. The whole bit about logging time in enemy air space in the Gulf War and arm-wrestling are still in there...but, my oh my oh my...there is a much extended look between the two of them that just has UST flashing in neon lights. If anyone was at all concerned that these edits would remove that initial chemistry between Sam and Jack, all I can say is, it's done just the opposite...it's significantly enhanced it.

One thing, though, that I do miss from this scene is when Jack calls the major who's a pain in the mikta "Mr. Glass Half Empty", in the original version there was a nice cut to Sam's reaction of smothering a smile at that. That's gone here. It wasn't essential, but it was a nice beat and gave us a glimpse of Sam's own sense of humor.

The other thing that's gone that sort of made me sad was the conversation going up the ramp. Again, it's gone because we now have a Sam who isn't trying to go out of her way to prove herself, so I understand why. But it's such a classic line in shipperdom that I missed it...the one where Sam tells Jack that he'll like her once he gets to know her, and he says "I adore you already". *sigh* Like I said, I understand why it's gone, but...oh well.

Something else they cut that I was rather glad about was how Sam got sick coming thru the gate the first time. Now we see her sitting down looking rather stunned, but gone is her line of "I think I'm going to be sick". We also get more of her curiosity over the DHD cut in among Jack's reunion with Skarra and Daniel. Oh...and the whole Captain/Doctor part was cut from the briefing room scene as well, so there's no "I thought you wanted to be called Captain?" line from Jack...and Daniel calls her "Dr." when he takes her into the cartouche room.

The dinner scene in the pyramid is also longer and I have to say, I like it a lot. There's a lot more reaction to various things by Sam as she watches Jack and the others have this reunion with the Abydonians and it's just very relaxed and fun.

That's as far as I'm up to now. More later.
            sigpic

Comment

Oh...one more thing...

Spoiler:
              Don't know why...maybe it was just too much of an inside joke...but now when Sam is excited over the DHD she says it took them 15 years to "jerry-rig" a DHD... "mcgyver" is gone....
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by AstraPerAspera View Post
                Oh...one more thing...

Spoiler:
                Don't know why...maybe it was just too much of an inside joke...but now when Sam is excited over the DHD she says it took them 15 years to "jerry-rig" a DHD... "mcgyver" is gone....
                Oh no!
                sigpic

Comment

I've only managed to watch the first part of the CotG recut. I'm up to where Daniel is showing them the Abydos cartouche for the first time. Thoughts and observations thus far....

Spoiler:
                  First of all, cool intro! Really makes it movie-like. We start out in space and zoom in closer and closer thru rock until we do a spiral above the gateroom where the airmen are playing cards. In a way it reminded me of the first part of Continuum.

This first scene they tightened up quite a bit, got rid of extraneous chit-chat and sort of jumped right to the gate dialing up and the Jaffa coming through. Darren was right...the puddle is much bluer this time although on the close-ups they didn't switch it out. I personally wouldn't have even noticed that unless I'd read it before hand, so I'm not sure that it makes a big deal. And yes..this time the gate does shut down and is redialed before Apophis and his people leave.

I just watched the original last night, so it was fresh in my memory and there are lots of little edits here and there that, imho, improve things alot. They're too many to go into anyway. They did take out the line about Kawalski not knowing Jack had a son, as that was not consistent with subsequent canon.

Now...to the important stuff.

Tbh, I have mixed feelings. That great sillhouetted pause of Sam in the door as she's about to enter the room is gone. You can see her walking down the hall over Hammond's shoulder as he explains that Capt. Carter is the expert on the Stargate. I kind of miss that little beat, although considering that they've really downplayed the whole "woman in a man's world" aspect, it's consistent. They've tried, I think, to give us the Sam we know later on here, whose abilities and talents speak for themselves without the issue of gender getting in the way.

To that end, after Kawalski says: "But you go by Sam." that whole "You don't have to worry...I played with dolls..." exchange is gone. She gives him a withering look and then Hammond speaks up and it's clear the matter is put to rest. The question about whether or not she's ever flown a simulated bombing run is still in there, and it seems to me that there is a much more impressed response by everyone when she replies that she has. Feretti still tells her it's like coming through a blizzard...but the "naked" part is gone. When Sam goes into the explanation about the molecules being decompressed, we still get Jack's reaction to her being a scientist and the exchange about her being a theoretical astrophysicist. Here's where I get a slight disconnect..

Jack: Which means...
                  Hammond: Which means she's way smarter than you are, Colonel. Especially on matters of the Stargate.
                  (Feretti and Kawalski are snickering. There's an extended pause as Jack slowly sits down)
                  Jack: Oh this has nothing to do with you being a woman...I like women. I just have a little problem with scientists

I'm not sure where that line about him not having a problem with women follows from, unless we're to assume that it follows from Kawalski's poke at Sam's name earlier and the bit about the F16 simulation run and their now silent, although still present, gender bias against her, which is what causes them to snicker when Hammond tells Jack Sam is way smarter than he is. Again, it might be because I know what used to be there and someone who wasn't that familiar with it might not see it as an almost non-sequitur.

I will say, that I find Sam's voice here a little richer than I recall, and I think that this is perhaps some of the voice over work AT did. It sounds like Sam today in spots a little more than the Sam of back then.

Now...for all that this scene is whittled down, there is one awesome addition. The whole bit about logging time in enemy air space in the Gulf War and arm-wrestling are still in there...but, my oh my oh my...there is a much extended look between the two of them that just has UST flashing in neon lights. If anyone was at all concerned that these edits would remove that initial chemistry between Sam and Jack, all I can say is, it's done just the opposite...it's significantly enhanced it.

One thing, though, that I do miss from this scene is when Jack calls the major who's a pain in the mikta "Mr. Glass Half Empty", in the original version there was a nice cut to Sam's reaction of smothering a smile at that. That's gone here. It wasn't essential, but it was a nice beat and gave us a glimpse of Sam's own sense of humor.

The other thing that's gone that sort of made me sad was the conversation going up the ramp. Again, it's gone because we now have a Sam who isn't trying to go out of her way to prove herself, so I understand why. But it's such a classic line in shipperdom that I missed it...the one where Sam tells Jack that he'll like her once he gets to know her, and he says "I adore you already". *sigh* Like I said, I understand why it's gone, but...oh well.

Something else they cut that I was rather glad about was how Sam got sick coming thru the gate the first time. Now we see her sitting down looking rather stunned, but gone is her line of "I think I'm going to be sick". We also get more of her curiosity over the DHD cut in among Jack's reunion with Skarra and Daniel. Oh...and the whole Captain/Doctor part was cut from the briefing room scene as well, so there's no "I thought you wanted to be called Captain?" line from Jack...and Daniel calls her "Dr." when he takes her into the cartouche room.

The dinner scene in the pyramid is also longer and I have to say, I like it a lot. There's a lot more reaction to various things by Sam as she watches Jack and the others have this reunion with the Abydonians and it's just very relaxed and fun.

That's as far as I'm up to now. More later.
                  Oh...one more thing...

Spoiler:
                  Thanks for the report so far APA.
                  Spoiler:

Wow, I have to say I'm impressed, it looks like they had a list: 'Lets cut out all of Jasmina's favorite little moments', and followed it to the letter. *sigh*
                  sigpic

Comment

Oh...one more thing...

Spoiler:
                    Noooooow!

Spoiler:
                    I loved that line. Seems like there's more cut out that I like for corn, but if there's some new stuff as well...

I'm still not sure I'm buying it.

Thanks
                    Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic
                    Letters to TPTB - The Martin Wood Thread - WooHoodStock Guide -S.H.I.P. Website

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                      Thanks for the report so far APA.
                      Spoiler:

Wow, I have to say I'm impressed, it looks like they had a list: 'Lets cut out all of Jasmina's favorite little moments', and followed it to the letter. *sigh*
                      Thanks APA

Spoiler:
                      Same here..."oh lets take out all of the moments that regularamanda enjoys about an episode that she doesn't really like" but whatever

But I'm still probably not buying it, maybe if it's on sale for less than $10 maybe....maybe

*sighs*

*looks at APA's sig*

*sees that out of time is nominated*

*runs off to vote for her favorite fanfic ever*

OH and Jas I so had a feeling that you were going to be doing Hammond for the stargate 20in20! I laughed when I saw it!

My Fanfiction My Sam/Jack vids (yahoo) My LJ
                      Thanks everyone for my b-day icons and sigs!
                      Nobody can make you feel inferior without your consent. ~Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
                        OH and Jas I so had a feeling that you were going to be doing Hammond for the stargate 20in20! I laughed when I saw it!
                        Maybe you put the thought in my head! Cause I was planing on choosing Teal'c, and changed my mind in the last moment.
                        sigpic

Comment

*wonders if she should hug Brad and co. or not*

Nad's got a dilemma.
                          Being original is difficult when you can't stop quoting your favorite tv show, For crying out loud!

sigpic

Comment

Thank you APA, that was really interesting.

Spoiler:
                            Some of the lines that have gone I am sad about that but it does sound like they are done for a reason and theessence of "ship" is still in there.
                            sigpic

Comment

*squishy hugs Brad & Co.*
                              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Cagranosalis View Post
                                Thank you APA, that was really interesting.

Spoiler:
                                Some of the lines that have gone I am sad about that but it does sound like they are done for a reason and theessence of "ship" is still in there.
                                Ah but then again...
                                Spoiler:
                                The essence of ''ship'' is always there.

*hugs Brad and co. anyway*

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X