No announcement yet.

The secrets on how to make artwork of the Sam/Jack ship family thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally got my LiveJournal looking decent. Still some finishing touches left, but now that that is under control, I can focus on the 20in20!

A question about the 20in20.
    When I make the pictures small enough to fit into the 100x100 icon they lose their sharpness, even if they are good pictures. I haven't tried it with a lot of pictures, but sometimes it does this. Any comments?
    sigpic
    || acrazyobsession on AO3 & Tumblr || My DeviantArt ||

Comment

Originally posted by ClassicCouples View Post
      I finally got my LiveJournal looking decent. Still some finishing touches left, but now that that is under control, I can focus on the 20in20!

A question about the 20in20.
      When I make the pictures small enough to fit into the 100x100 icon they lose their sharpness, even if they are good pictures. I haven't tried it with a lot of pictures, but sometimes it does this. Any comments?
      Sharpen them. Just don't over do it, cause it will look a bit strange. What program are you using? In Photoshop you can use smart sharpen or Unsharp mask, to control the level of sharpness.

Originally posted by Bekki View Post
      Woohoo!!! Enjoy the 20in20, CC!!! With any luck, you will end up just as crazy as Jas and Amanda

*runs off to make some Coopie!Art*
      *rubs hands gleefully*
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
        Sharpen them. Just don't over do it, cause it will look a bit strange. What program are you using? In Photoshop you can use smart sharpen or Unsharp mask, to control the level of sharpness.
        Well, I use Photoshop Elements, so I don't have all the cool stuff, but I do have a sharpening tool, I don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks. I will try that.
        sigpic

Comment

Well, I use Photoshop Elements, so I don't have all the cool stuff, but I do have a sharpening tool, I don't know why I didn't think of that. Thanks. I will try that.
          In that case, you can make a stamp of the whole thing on a new layer, (I think PS elements has that, Shift+Ctrl+Alt+E), sharpen it and if it's too much, lower the opacity on that layer. Also if the skin on the faces looks too pixelated, grab the blur tool, set the strength to 20-25% and smooth it out (just don't touch the eyes, lips or hair)
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
            In that case, you can make a stamp of the whole thing on a new layer, (I think PS elements has that, Shift+Ctrl+Alt+E), sharpen it and if it's too much, lower the opacity on that layer. Also if the skin on the faces looks too pixelated, grab the blur tool, set the strength to 20-25% and smooth it out (just don't touch the eyes, lips or hair)
            So I tried Shift+Ctrl+Alt+E and it worked! There is definitely a difference when I sharpen it and then make it a little transparent. Thanks!

When y'all are making your 20in20 icons, do you start out with a 100x100 background and work with it like that? I am thinking that is really the only to do it . . .
            sigpic

Comment

So I tried Shift+Ctrl+Alt+E and it worked! There is definitely a difference when I sharpen it and then make it a little transparent. Thanks!

When y'all are making your 20in20 icons, do you start out with a 100x100 background and work with it like that? I am thinking that is really the only to do it . . .
              Yup, I start like that. But some people like to make them 200x200 or 300x300 and resize them after they're done.

New LJ header and a sig from it to go with the new avi.

*sigh* How much I love those new pics.

And few icons from Helen_stills, sj_rumble and stargate_sumble

sigpic

Comment

So many pretty icons!
                "Are you like, a crazy person?"
                "I am quite sure they will say so."

Comment

Jasmina, your new banner ( and your new sig ) is great.

My new banner

Probably it isn't as good as yours, Jasmina.
                  Willen, Teslen and totally addicted to Helen Magnus! Amanda's fan.
                  / Twitter / FanFiction / CZ Blog /

Comment

Originally posted by Samantha.Majka View Post
                    Jasmina, your new banner ( and your new sig ) is great.

My new banner

http://nd03.jxs.cz/394/854/32c6c5815b_66956876_o2.jpg

Probably it isn't as good as yours, Jasmina.
                    I like yours batter.

Beautiful quote. So sad
                    sigpic

Comment

I love both of your banners.

jas, the black and white pics with the bluish background is perfect. Really makes the pics pop.

The same with yours, Samantha.Majka (is there a shorter name we can type?), the color mixed with the black and white and then the coordinated text is great. I'm a little saddened by the pic though. I need fluff.
                      sigpic
                      I used to trek amongst the stars, now I gate to them

Comment

Awesome work, Snow, Jas and samantha!

CC, livejournal can be pretty unintuitive to start off with, so feel free to ask if you get stuck - lots of us here have LJs and should be able to help you out. I find the best thing for layouts is to find one that someone has made already, like from the page that you linked. Those will usually allow you to insert your own header image in the stylesheet I never figured out how to do it with the LJ premade ones And as for icons, I started out making them 200x200 at first, but found they always went blurry when I reduced them to 100x100, so now I just make them the right size from scratch. It's easier also to see what works well - if you make them too big then it's too tempting to over-complicate them, I found. Hope that helps!
                        sigpic
                        Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                          CC, livejournal can be pretty unintuitive to start off with, so feel free to ask if you get stuck - lots of us here have LJs and should be able to help you out. I find the best thing for layouts is to find one that someone has made already, like from the page that you linked. Those will usually allow you to insert your own header image in the stylesheet I never figured out how to do it with the LJ premade ones And as for icons, I started out making them 200x200 at first, but found they always went blurry when I reduced them to 100x100, so now I just make them the right size from scratch. It's easier also to see what works well - if you make them too big then it's too tempting to over-complicate them, I found. Hope that helps!
                          Thanks for helping me. I don't know why I didn't think about their being code to make something like that! Wasn't using all of my brain that day. Anyway, I got it up and running, got a custom image, posted a new entry, and am very happy with it.
                          sigpic

Comment

Thanks Jas for your words, and Treknik and Joisane.
                            Yes, you can call me Sammie. I am get used to it. And I love it
                            Good luck with your LJ Leah, I have one too, but I am not there so often ..
                            Willen, Teslen and totally addicted to Helen Magnus! Amanda's fan.
                            / Twitter / FanFiction / CZ Blog /

Comment

Okay people, who have livejournal, add me! I could do with some more sg-1 people...rlly!!!

because I have more and more friends in other fandom, and otherwise i'll forget about my first love...Stargate

http://replicartertje.livejournal.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RepliCartertje View Post
                                Okay people, who have livejournal, add me! I could do with some more sg-1 people...rlly!!!

because I have more and more friends in other fandom, and otherwise i'll forget about my first love...Stargate

http://replicartertje.livejournal.com/
                                *going to befriend you*
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X