The secrets on how to make artwork of the Sam/Jack ship family thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Regularamanda View Post
    Atm I'm in love with my 'Geeks' icon of that batch and I really want to set it as my avatar but I don't want people to think I'm a S/D shipper

Yay!! Thanks Jas I'm dying to figure out how to do that!
    People see what they want to see. I've done Sam/Daniel sig from Moebius. It was meant as a friendship/funny thing and that's how I put it out there.
    If someone wants to see it any differently then that it's their problem, not yours.

IMHO
    sigpic

Comment

The icons look very similar, but I used two completely different approaches in making them.

Spoiler:
      1. I cropped the original pic. Sharpened once and smoothed out the skin with the blur tool. I added a new layer above it, set it to color and with light blue color and small brush I painted her eyes.

2. Layer -> New Adjustment Layer -> Selective color

reds: -33; 65; 26; 0
      yellows: 73; -52; -86; 0

3. Layer -> New Adjustment Layer -> Hue/Saturation

Master: 0; -8; 0
      Reds: 0; 24; 0
      Yellows: 0; -100; 0

4. Layer -> New Adjustment Layer -> Color balance

Midtones: 22; -7; 0
      Shadows: -35; 13; 16
      Highlights: -22; 0; -16

5. Layer -> New Adjustment Layer -> Hue/Saturation

Reds: 0; 13; 0

6. Layer -> New Adjustment Layer -> Levels:

Input levels: 8; 1.21; 255

7. I rotated it a bit, set the blending mode to Screen and erased everything I didn't want

Spoiler:
      1. Croped the original pic. As before I sharpened once and smoothed out the skin with the blur tool (strenght at around 20%)

2. Duplicated the layer 3 times. I set the first copy to Screen. The second also to Screen and desatured it. And the third (top) layer I set it to Soft light.

This brightens up the image and it gives nice shading. Depending on the original pics that's used you can lower the opacitiy on any of the copy layers to get a similar effect.

3. Again as in the previous tut, I painted the eyes.

4. Layer -> New Adjustment Layer -> Selective color

reds: -29; 18l 34; 0
      yellows: -59; -64; -100; 0
      neutrals: 20; -9; -6; 0

5. Layer -> New Adjustment Layer -> Brightness / Contrast

38 / 16

6. set to Lighten. I moved it a little to the left.

7. I made a stamp (shift + ctrl + alt + e) and sharpened once.
      sigpic

Comment

going to sound stupid here, but is a stamp like merge all layers?? because psp doesn't have a stamp function...
        sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by Aveo_amacus View Post
          going to sound stupid here, but is a stamp like merge all layers?? because psp doesn't have a stamp function...
          Yup It just leaves the original layers intact in case you wanna do a change to one of them later on.
          sigpic

Comment

Love all the challenge stuff everyone I completely failed to make anything, jetlag caught up with me But this week I'm determined to get back into it

((((Amanda)))) for your laptop, but awesome icons! Particularly the second batch, really really good

Jumble, those two Helen sigs are fab, definitely better than your first try (although I really liked that one too ). I think I prefer the first of them though Great rewatch banners too

luvnjack, very cool Joe art, I love the splash of blue And Joe looks tres cool

Jasmina, as ever, beautiful icons (and thanks for the tuts!). And CONGRATULATIONS on winning the best of June Yay!

Right, now to catch up elsewhere and then I am going to Gimp
            sigpic
            Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
              Yup It just leaves the original layers intact in case you wanna do a change to one of them later on.
              Aveo, does PSP have something like 'new layer from visible'? Because that's one of the ways to do it in Gimp Very useful...
              sigpic

Comment

for all the artworks!

*hugs Amanda for her laptop*

Jas, awesome tut! What exactly color you've used on Sam's eyes?

I was creeping through MGM sitr amd found THAT Martin pic. I'm not Martin thunker but he looks soooo - soooo... Maybe you've seen it but anyway i want to share

Spoiler:
                sigpic

Comment

Thanks for that pic Kitten, I hadn't seen it before If you find any more little gems like that, please pass them on

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                    Aveo, does PSP have something like 'new layer from visible'? Because that's one of the ways to do it in Gimp Very useful...
                    I don't think so... I've been merging all layers (or all visible layers) copying it into a new image undoing the original merge and copying the merged image back as a new layer. it's not that hard so I'll stick to doing it that way
                    sigpicMy Fanfic

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
                      Thanks for that pic Kitten, I hadn't seen it before If you find any more little gems like that, please pass them on
                      There lots of pics, i download only S/J and other pics i like (only one with Martin ) There were some interesting Martin pics. If you]ll see Behind the scenes pics i'm sure you'll find some. I can look through s6/7 and thebrest of s5, if i find something with Martin i'll post it for you
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blacky Kitten View Post
                        Jas, awesome tut! What exactly color you've used on Sam's eyes?
                        I can't check right now, but it was something like this. Maybe a bit lighter.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                          I can't check right now, but it was something like this. Maybe a bit lighter.
                          Thanks! I could never get such eyes color like on your icon
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Blacky Kitten View Post
                            There lots of pics, i download only S/J and other pics i like (only one with Martin ) There were some interesting Martin pics. If you]ll see Behind the scenes pics i'm sure you'll find some. I can look through s6/7 and thebrest of s5, if i find something with Martin i'll post it for you
                            I'm searching as we speak Found lots of great pics *iz happy*

Comment

Originally posted by jumble View Post
                              I'm searching as we speak Found lots of great pics *iz happy*
                              Sure you are I'm happy as well MGM pics ARE AWESOME!
                              sigpic

Comment

*bounces in*

Finally, finally, after what seems like forever, I have gimped!

Plus some icons that I can't show you yet... But I couldn't resist those new pics

*bounces out*
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X