No announcement yet.

The secrets on how to make artwork of the Sam/Jack ship family thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OMGoodness! You can do all this with Gimp? Oh, geez...yea everyone! I will never be able to use this program in a million years...I tried to use layers...yeah, like that worked. And yeah...I have no idea what I'm doing...and there is no help under the help button. I hate gimp right now...it is dumb.

But you guys...have fun!

Comment

Originally posted by JackandSamAddict View Post
      OMGoodness! You can do all this with Gimp? Oh, geez...yea everyone! I will never be able to use this program in a million years...I tried to use layers...yeah, like that worked. And yeah...I have no idea what I'm doing...and there is no help under the help button. I hate gimp right now...it is dumb.

But you guys...have fun!
      I tried gimp too, didn't like it. So I downloaded a free trial of Photoshop to make sure I could understand it, before I spent money on it. I love it. If you're interested here's the link to the different Adobe downloads including PS elements 6 which I have and PS CS3.

Comment

Thanks for the PS tip...but I think I'm going to stick with Gimp for now...since it's free...:s MAY change my mind very quickly. Umm...I was wondering how do I make my top layer transparent so I can see my bottom layer through it...seriously...it shouldn't be this hard!

Comment

Originally posted by JackandSamAddict View Post
          Thanks for the PS tip...but I think I'm going to stick with Gimp for now...since it's free...:s MAY change my mind very quickly. Umm...I was wondering how do I make my top layer transparent so I can see my bottom layer through it...seriously...it shouldn't be this hard!
          Yes, Gimp isn't very intuitive. For transparency: (at the top of your image window) Go to Layer, then click on transparency, then click on "color to alpha". And that should do it!
          sigpic

Comment

I'm having a problem. If you look at the penguin on this

you can see I've lost the top of her head, and no matter what I did, I still lost it
            Anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong

Comment

YAYY, really good idea making this thread. I use PSP XI (Paint Shop Pro Photo) and am lookind desperately fr tutorials to learn new styles. Can anyone help me pleeeaaase???

Comment

Hmmm, I'm not sure... however I have found a couple of times when I've tried to add the penguin that it hasn't worked, no idea why. In those instances I've saved the picture, exported & flattened etc (so make sure you've done everything you want to with the layers!), then reopened it and tried again and it's worked fine then. Not a very technical answer (more along the lines of switch it off and back on again!) but it's worked for me
                sigpic
                Artwork for All | Sig & avi by JadedWraith

Comment

Originally posted by Fainne View Post
                  YAYY, really good idea making this thread. I use PSP XI (Paint Shop Pro Photo) and am lookind desperately fr tutorials to learn new styles. Can anyone help me pleeeaaase???
                  If you go back to Page 1, there's a whole list of them. If you don't find what you need, ask and ye shall (no doubt) be given

Comment

Originally posted by josiane View Post
                    Hmmm, I'm not sure... however I have found a couple of times when I've tried to add the penguin that it hasn't worked, no idea why. In those instances I've saved the picture, exported & flattened etc (so make sure you've done everything you want to with the layers!), then reopened it and tried again and it's worked fine then. Not a very technical answer (more along the lines of switch it off and back on again!) but it's worked for me
                    Thanks, I'll try that. I spent forever trying to get it right, got so that I gave up and just posted it!

Seems to me Gimp suffers from PMT now and again, try something a dozen time, it won't work, come back later and try again, and *pff* it works

Edit: Umm... Flattened? What's that?

Comment

Originally posted by jumble65 View Post
                      Thanks, I'll try that. I spent forever trying to get it right, got so that I gave up and just posted it!

Seems to me Gimp suffers from PMT now and again, try something a dozen time, it won't work, come back later and try again, and *pff* it works
                      yep, I think it does!
                      sigpic

Comment

Edit: Umm... Flattened? What's that?
                        Oh and flattened - that's what gimp does when it converts to things like .jpg, means it puts everything all on one layer rather than keeping it layered like you make it
                        sigpic

Comment

Oh and flattened - that's what gimp does when it converts to things like .jpg, means it puts everything all on one layer rather than keeping it layered like you make it
                          Riiiiight! When it 'exports' it. See, you're getting waaaay ahead of me

Comment

Riiiiight! When it 'exports' it. See, you're getting waaaay ahead of me
                            Evidence I am spending way too much time on gimp lately I think
                            sigpic

Comment

Evidence I am spending way too much time on gimp lately I think
                              Aren't we all? Lol!

Comment

If you go back to Page 1, there's a whole list of them. If you don't find what you need, ask and ye shall (no doubt) be given
                                I browsed through the first pages but it's all about Photoshop and GIMP (or I just didn't see the PSP tutorial)

Comment

Working...
                                X