X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bluealien
    replied
    I agree with Joe's Blog and support his sentiments. Why should fans insult, bash and criticise the PTB, the writers and everyone associated with the show, and as soon as one of the bites back if you will, they get bombasted.

Thanks Joe for taking the time to update your blog.

Leave a comment:

• PG15
    replied
    Oops, little late to the party; but I would like to add my positive support to this thread! I make certain to check on Joe's blog at least once a day, and I'm never disappointed. I'm not a foodie, but even I can get a laugh out of the reviews and descriptions.

And the recent add-on of fan-interaction is that much better.

Leave a comment:

• localfocus
    replied
    I think one of the reasons for the reaction is that he's now the Atlantis Show Runner. What was one thing before on the GW blog and Ask Thread, is now another thing entirely. So people are taking what he says much more seriously.

Leave a comment:

• Uber
    replied
    From his blog:
    Speaking of grousing, I couldn’t help but notice that certain remarks in yesterday’s blog have engendered a rising tide of frothing fan fury. Some accuse me of hating the fans, the forums, anyone holding a negative opinion of the shows. In their, dare I say it, lemming-like stampede rush to hysterical judgment, they failed to take one tiny thing into account: what I actually wrote. Even though the quote has found its way onto the various forums, no one has bothered to actually read it, caught up as they are in the intoxicating frenzy of mass berserker rage. To refresh your memories, I wrote: “I considered joining some online fan forum and joining the chorus blaming the producers for her sudden disappearance (…) but ultimately decided against it because I realized it would only make me sound like a shrill and ill-informed lemming.” To spell it out for you: individuals who point the finger and assign blame based on nothing more than their gut instinct are ignorant at best, cretins at worst. And those who chime in with them fare not much better. Sorry, nothing there about fans who are unhappy with the show or those who criticize the show or those who frequent forums or fans in general. Specifically, and quite clearly, I was referring to the self-anointed know-it-alls. That said, don’t let me stop any other fans who don’t fall into said group from feeling any less victimized. If you want to feel persecuted for no good reason, by all means go for it. After all, there’s nothing more satisfying than a good mob rage. (Ultimately, I’m sure this won’t change many minds. Joining together with like-minded individuals in a screaming chorus of blue murder is a heck of a lot easier than admitting you’ve made a mistake.)
    I agree with Joe's blog. In principle...he is exactly right. There are those who take little tidbits and run wild with them...people who choose to paint themselves as victims in a situation where they don't have all the facts (I understand this sentiment as I used to do it myself before I realized it was pointless and a waste of my energy). Movements are created based on intentional or unintentional misunderstandings and things go from bad to bizarre in a split second.

I will add that it might have been nice had he phrased his comments a little differently...but the reality is that the situation is so charged that regardless of what he said, it would have been used as a battle cry.

We don't know all the facts yet and until we do, making rushes to judgment is just a sure way to a stomach full of ulcers.

Leave a comment:

• Skydiver
    replied
    Also, just because folks wish to defend joe's right to blog, it doesn't mean that they also have open season to bash or pick on any that disagree with his posts. That's part of the line here. Joe can certainly be defended, but not at the cost of ragging on others. They have just as much right to not like what he said as he has to say it.

Leave a comment:

• Skydiver
    replied
    We can't read every post in every thread. Anyone sees a post in any thread that they feel is off topic or breaks the rules, report it.

Right now, so many people are ticked at so many things and using the word 'pro' or 'anti' to mean so many things, it is very difficult to determine precisely what is 'right' or 'wrong' because the words are very, very subjective and mean different things to different people.

We have no quantitative definition of the amount of like that = pro and the amount of dislike that = anti, so it's up to the opinion and determination of every single poster. No matter how we mod it, someone won't agree with us.

Leave a comment:

• Michelle05
    replied
    Originally posted by Skydiver View Post
    the topic here is Pro Joe's Blog...not open season on the posters here. Blurry line i know, but please try to keep it on topic
    Well, by the same token, I'm disappointed to see posts on the last page of this thread criticizing Joe and his blog with no mod reaction. ::Looks at title of thread:: What's the deal with that? Maybe I'll wander over to the Anti-S10 thread and talk about how much I loved The Quest Part 2. How would that be taken?

If you're going to have 'protected' threads, they need to be enforced fairly, even when the POV is not the prevailing one here.

Leave a comment:

• david2708
    replied
    Having never read Joe's Blog, nor having the slightest interest in reading it, I'm sure it is indeed very PRO its author.
    He IS probably right about fans not knowing what's going on behind the scenes re casting changes etc. and presuming too much. I'm sure there are alot of fingers in the pie and who knows what orders the big wigs with the purse strings pass on down as directives to the writers etc.
    Having said that, I don't think he is a particularly good writer with whatever he's given or told to do to begin with.
    My only PRO for him is there is alot of pressure to produce scripts in two to three week turnovers for episodic TV and most people would flounder trying to come up with just one in 6 months.
    Imagine trying to reel it out every couple of weeks or so. It's not like they can sit back for 4 months and tidy up the scripts till there really ready. They've gotta churn them out at a pretty rapid rate and they are never really going to be 'great works'.
    It's the reason why they burn out pretty quickly, creatively, and why they need constant renewal for fresh ideas.

Leave a comment:

• Skydiver
    replied
    Folks, if you have issues with other posters, take it to the mods. If you have issues with the mods, take it to the other mods.

But if thier actions don't break the rules, then don't sweat about it. And don't talk about them behind thier backs.

the topic here is Pro Joe's Blog...not open season on the posters here. Blurry line i know, but please try to keep it on topic

Leave a comment:

• SallyLizzie
    replied
    Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
    it is his blog after all.
    Exactly! It's not like he blasted people on GW, which as we know, isn't allowed and would have been modded. Not that I'd blame him if he did, the ammount of disrespectful comments thrown his way in the past. He said it on his personal blog; one that has nothing to do with the show.

We're part of an era where fandom has evolved, where TPTB/actors can and do interact with the fans. Some do more frequant than others, and I think bc of that, some fans seem to think they have this special connection with them; they think that TPTB should listen to them. Yeah, to a degree, listen to the overall opinions but at the end of the day, it's these guys who are gettin paid to produce the show. It's their profession for which they've studied. I know I get ticked off when a customer tries to tell me how to do my job, a job I've been doing for 3 years.

And on that slight tangent...
    <snip>

I've always given props to JM for saying what's on his mind, even during his days at GW. Whilst not what one would consider professional, his comments have always been amusing imo.
    Last edited by Skydiver; January 20, 2007, 06:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• prion
    replied
    Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
    Yeah and that point got way lost in all of this, at least it looks like level heads have prevailed but you know, season isn't over yet.
    As long as the show goes on AND Joe continues to blog about the show, it will be just like hte old days (which to say can be the good, the bad and ugly, as far as fandom is concerned).

Leave a comment:

• Willow'sCat
    replied
    Originally posted by prion View Post
    The blog is amusing to read, but that's about it.
    Yeah and that point got way lost in all of this, at least it looks like level heads have prevailed but you know, season isn't over yet.

Leave a comment:

• prion
    replied
    Originally posted by Jenner8675309 View Post
    Er, I guess I am an odd duck who is "pro" the blog and the lemmings thread. Do I think both get dramatic at time, sure, but the great thing about the web is free speech. I enjoy his blog and am a giant advocate of "If it hops you off, don't read it". But the lemmings are entitled to have opinions, whether they are considered valid, over-the-top or embarassing. I think its funny that his comment created such a "flurry" (like a hundred people on a forum) and then he felt the need to address it (for whatever reason). A bit OT- I also laughed out loud at the "Why the Board Has Gone Nuts" Thread title and I will whole-heartedly admit I am crushed at what happened in Sunday. But I'll of course keep watching. But I can only speak for myself.

Sorry, I have always played Switzerland in spats, so why not on a forum to?

Actually the threads have been highly amusing, and not unexpected. No matter what Joe says, good or bad, people are going to visit his blog and some will hang on his every word as gold. It was like that in the past, and I don't see why it should change in the future. Example being he says Weir will play a significant part in an arc, and when that arc, whatever it is comes around and fans percevie it as not significant, there will be ,er discussion. It'll be the same as the 'you'll see a lot of ship' remarks from seasons ago which got lots of ship fans fuming when they perceived none, or very little.

The blog is amusing to read, but that's about it.

Leave a comment:

• Shep
    replied
    Originally posted by Michelle05 View Post
    I'm not saying Joe couldn't have said things in a more gentle or less provocative manner, but I think if people were talking about me and my colleagues the way we talk about the people behind Stargate, I might blow a gasket too. It's got to be very frustrating to see things from a different POV, not be able to talk publicly about what's really going on, and then read some of the outrageous speculation that goes on. I think it would be hard to take.
    nails it in one.

Leave a comment:

• Jenner8675309
    replied
    Er, I guess I am an odd duck who is "pro" the blog and the lemmings thread. Do I think both get dramatic at time, sure, but the great thing about the web is free speech. I enjoy his blog and am a giant advocate of "If it hops you off, don't read it". But the lemmings are entitled to have opinions, whether they are considered valid, over-the-top or embarassing. I think its funny that his comment created such a "flurry" (like a hundred people on a forum) and then he felt the need to address it (for whatever reason). A bit OT- I also laughed out loud at the "Why the Board Has Gone Nuts" Thread title and I will whole-heartedly admit I am crushed at what happened in Sunday. But I'll of course keep watching. But I can only speak for myself.

Sorry, I have always played Switzerland in spats, so why not on a forum to?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X