X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dromag67
    replied
    Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
    It isn't just that blog. Some of us have been around since the days when Joe was a regular poster here at GW. He was snarky and vile then too. He loves to stir the pot, and he really does enjoy a good flame war.

I hate to say it, but he CAN be a very good writer as well. He has written some of the best episodes of SG1, but he has also written the absolute worst episodes of SGA, by far. If he is going to be show runner on SGA, he needs to stop dumping the characters just because he doesn't understand them. Fans have invested 3 years in these characters and tossing two of them to the wind in rapid succession is a bit hard to swallow. . .even for a lemming.
    That's even more reason to ignore it or at least be used to it.

If someone like Rob Cooper, or someone who isn't as snarky/vile said it, I would completely understand the outrage.

And I remember that this hasn't been the first time and 100% likely it wont be the last in some form.

He probably gets a high off of starting controversy, after the first few times I just learn to ignore it. Personally season 4 is the make or break for me, if they actually get through a year without slaying another major character or bringing Lucius in again then it might be alright.

Then again another side of me thinks that Sci-Fi will can Atlantis whether or not it gets good ratings.

Leave a comment:

• Easter Lily
    replied
    Originally posted by FoolishPleasure View Post
    I hate to say it, but he CAN be a very good writer as well. He has written some of the best episodes of SG1, but he has also written the absolute worst episodes of SGA, by far. If he is going to be show runner on SGA, he needs to stop dumping the characters just because he doesn't understand them. Fans have invested 3 years in these characters and tossing two of them to the wind in rapid succession is a bit hard to swallow. . .even for a lemming.
    Oh no doubt... he's very witty and I did enjoy the way he handled persistent ship questions on his blogs and Ask thread.

What you said about the SGA eps goes someway in highlighting that both shows are quite different kettles of fish.

Leave a comment:

• FoolishPleasure
    replied
    Originally posted by Dromag67 View Post
    I think its really halarious how much people get worked up over a paragraph in a blog.
    It isn't just that blog. Some of us have been around since the days when Joe was a regular poster here at GW. He was snarky and vile then too. He loves to stir the pot, and he really does enjoy a good flame war.

Leave a comment:

• Auralis
    replied
    I apploud Joe for his blog and words.
    Its very refreshing from all the usual babble most writers and showrunners spill out to keep everyone happy.
    It shows that he is just a person like everyone else.
    And of course he is right about what he says as well.
    So, Hallowed is the Joe or sumthing

Leave a comment:

• Reefgirl
    replied
    Originally posted by Willow'sCat View Post
    Oh no Anzacz are easy but you have to make sure not to make the mixture to watery because with all that syrup they spread like mad in the oven and you end up with a huge Anzac square. Yeah been there done that and ruined a few baking trays in the process.
    Ah that's the secret is it, thanks for the hint

Leave a comment:

• Willow'sCat
    replied
    It is the nature of TV, and dare I say it, being an actor.

If every actor wanted to stay on their TV shows and never leave until cancellation, where would that leave shows? Some shows benefit from these changes. And until season 4 is half way through I don't think anyone can say with certainty that the changes are good or bad, they are for now just changes. I am feeling more positive every day about them but I am still more wait and see.

And I agree, Joe had every right to post about food or his politics or his disdain for shows killing off his favourite characters, it is freedom of speech it is his blog after all. If I had to ask people on my flish *small as it is* for permission to post on a topic before hand it would be pointless having a blog/LJ account.

Oh and even if you think these things come with a responsibility I think in this case Joe was responsible in his post and he even went out of his way to clarify things for others, he really didn't need to buy into the ranting by fans.

*someone help me I think I like Joe* The world is ending....

Leave a comment:

• Dromag67
    replied
    I think its really halarious how much people get worked up over a paragraph in a blog.

And in reality Joe is 100% correct.

We know nothing about the conciquences of the situation on the show.

They gave him the opportunity to be the star of an emotional episode and he accepted.

Why aren't we blaming Paul McGillion for accepting? Why don't we have threads calling for a riot against the actor?

Of course it was sad for him to leave in the way he did, but will my life change from him not appearing on a weekly television show anymore?

Absolutly not.

Do I wish that he could of stayed on?

Absolutly.

It's just not my place to question what goes on in the inner-workings of their writing/producing deparment or even if their was some personal issues behind the scenes for his departure.

Leave a comment:

• Willow'sCat
    replied
    Originally posted by Reefgirl View Post
    I've got a recipe for Lamingons (or should that be Lemming-tons ) Good old Aussie Womens Weekly, I have a lot of their cook books. I cannot for the life of me make Anzacs
    Oh no Anzacz are easy but you have to make sure not to make the mixture to watery because with all that syrup they spread like mad in the oven and you end up with a huge Anzac square. Yeah been there done that and ruined a few baking trays in the process.
    Originally posted by mrtvr4
    I'm sure I had one in the USA when I was there, damnit I want one now, thanks mate
    *hands mrtvr4 national charity fundraising style Lamingtons* No pink icing ones though they are just evil.

Leave a comment:

• ax-protege-l3
    replied
    Originally posted by Hatcheter View Post
    ISo, what could fans like me who optomistically embrace the future be called? Still lemmings, I suppose, charging head-long into the unknown. But happy lemmings!
    I think that would make you just a regular fan - not abandoning the show because something is done in the story that you wouldn't have personally chosen to write, but still looking to the future with optimism that the writers have managed to entertain you so far, why not in the future as well?

Leave a comment:

• ax-protege-l3
    replied
    Originally posted by sweetoffee14 View Post
    I found his blog comments hilarious! Have bookmarked it, i've been on alot of fansites and know exactly the sort of people he's talking about, i'm glad someone can have a laugh about them .
    The second I read the initial blog entry that caused all the ruckus, I exploded with laughter! What brilliance to parody what is going on here w/a show that could not be more different than SGA if it tried - despite the fact that the two stars of Boston Legal are inextricably linked to Scifi. It was superb, smack-you-in-the-face reality check appropriate!

Also, the harder folks roar, the more free promotion the show gets. Quite shrewd to milk all of the advertising dollars out of the fans who are building websites hither and yon to draw attention to the "SAVE WHATEVER" cause du jour.

I think it's hysterical. Prozac (or Zyprexa) help them, but lemmings are fun to watch (as in the game version where they blindly follow one another off the cliffs - my favorite of course being the ones who used to cry out "oh no!" before exploding). I think that if people had any insight into their own behavior they would recognize immediately that what Joe said, while admittedly a bitter pill to swallow, was true about certain hysterics-induced responses in fandom.

So way to go Joe for calling a spade a spade! Yes - acting like characters leaving or having their status changed to recurring is the be-all and end-all of human existence is a tad on the overreacting side.

Would that my fellow Americans devote such fervor and dedication to say... a cause like curing cancer or AIDS or perhaps even something so small as taking their responsibility to vote seriously. In the grand scheme of things, there are far more worthy causes in the world to which one could and should devote such passion.

Leave a comment:

• Hatcheter
    replied
    I was just thinking of starting a "Save TPTB" thread, but this one seems to suffice.

I love that Joe said what he said. People jumping to conclusions with only the scantest hints of information is a huge peeve of mine, and Joe summed up the phenomena better than I could have.

I try to be the inverse, taking a wait and see attitude until the situation is mostly if not completely played out. I kept my thoughts to myself about Sunday until I saw it, and found it to have been pulled off better than I had hoped. If TPTB will work to that kind of standard next season, the show could turn into something special.

So, what could fans like me who optomistically embrace the future be called? Still lemmings, I suppose, charging head-long into the unknown. But happy lemmings!

Leave a comment:

• Abydos1
    replied
    I just now finished reading the infamous "Lemming" post, and I have to say that I agree with him completely. The "Self annointed know-it-alls" he refers to should relax a bit and wait for the facts of things to come out before they start getting indignant.

Just my own humble opinion though.

Leave a comment:

• prion
    replied
    Originally posted by jenks View Post
    Oh yeah I know, I justy couldn't be arsed to fiddle with the tags
    Okay Just wanted people not to go "she called us cretins!"

Leave a comment:

• jenks
    replied
    Originally posted by prion View Post

Actually, JM wrote that, not me, just to make sure I don't get quoted with that!
    Oh yeah I know, I justy couldn't be arsed to fiddle with the tags

Leave a comment:

• prion
    replied
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by prion
    To spell it out for you: individuals who point the finger and assign blame based on nothing more than their gut instinct are ignorant at best, cretins at worst. And those who chime in with them fare not much better.

Originally posted by jenks View Post
    Quoted for truth.

Actually, JM wrote that, not me, just to make sure I don't get quoted with that!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X