No announcement yet.

GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, so I just purchase a monopod (much better than my travel tripod!), but I am worried about taking a 2 foot long expandable (out to like 5 ft) metal stick onto the airplane.

Do they frown upon this? Should I put it in my checked bag?

Comment

Originally posted by PengYn View Post
      Hmm. If I feel someone pee-shooting me in the back of the neck at least I now know who the culprits will be. And It's not Mark and vikitty.

I have my straws and peas ready. I mean... nooo...

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
      PEE-shooting? What kind of event am I attending?
      Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
      *bats eyes innocently*

*remind self to pack peAs*... must be some odd British spelling
      Oh my... I didn't even notice the spelling until you pointed it out! ROFL... Uh.. yeah, let's go with pea shooting. The other one doesn't sound too sanitary...

San Diego Comic Con 2007 Attendee
      San Diego Comic Con 2008 Attendee

Comment

I was in row I last year. I sat next to someone who had the stargate shaved on the back of her head. It was really wow!
        Hey Pengyn, you were in the row behind me last year then and I didn't know it! I was in row H, about 3 seats away from the middle aisle on the right hand side of the room.
        Originally posted by Tittamiire View Post
        N-09 for me! I actually had no idea how many rows there were and so am pleasantly surprised by not being so far away I need binoculars. YAY!
        Have no fear, the venue is small enough that it's nothing like the huge cons. And last year there was an aisle in front of row H, so we got Amanda walking up and down the middle and halfway (horizontal???!) aisles during the auction modeling and "selling" the items to the audience. (Uh oh... AmberMoon where are you on the map????!)

So no seat is a bad seat here at this event.
        Originally posted by EH-T View Post
        Me too. Now if we could think of some logical reason to eliminate A to H I'd be front row!
        Hey now!!!!!!!
        *rearranges alphabet* it's been done before I'm sure of it
        *rearranges alphabet again*
        Originally posted by Tracy Jane View Post
        Spoiler:
        ((TJ)) Wonderful chart. Thanks for taking the time to make it.
        Originally posted by rderoch View Post
        Ya know. This chart makes it look like I'm taking up three seats!

My sis and mom don't have online nicknames, so you can put Heidi in E13 and mom in E14 (Fran - but trust me, everyone calls her mom)
        Hmmmmm.... You're making me wonder.... were you at the cocktail party last year sitting at my table??????
        Hmm. If I feel someone pee-shooting me in the back of the neck at least I now know who the culprits will be. And It's not Mark and vikitty.

Well... I know the someone sitting in C5.... will have to bring a paper plate to shield me from the popcorn heading inbound from that direction... (((antoa315)))

I'm worried about the poor souls in seats such as B8, E11 and N10 who seem to be trapped by us *g*
        LOL! Hey, that's my right-hand seat-mate you're talking about. *wonders who it is too*
        Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
        My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by Vikitty View Post
          I have my straws and peas ready. I mean... nooo...

Oh my... I didn't even notice the spelling until you pointed it out! ROFL... Uh.. yeah, let's go with pea shooting. The other one doesn't sound too sanitary...
          *coughs innocently* But isn't that what our raincoats are for? *ahem* Protection from the elements....
          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by antoa315 View Post
            OK, so I just purchase a monopod (much better than my travel tripod!), but I am worried about taking a 2 foot long expandable (out to like 5 ft) metal stick onto the airplane.

My Dad used to work for United and I asked him what he thought. He said you'd probably be fine since it's known to be photo equipment but since you're going out of the country it may be a bit tougher in terms of security. He suggested to just call the airline and ask. I guess they'll they give a diffinitive yes or no. Hope that helps.
            sigpic

otoole/Erin

Comment

Short answer - Yes! I wouldn't put cameras, lap-tops etc in checked luggage, but mono/tripods aren't too valuable, but they are potential weapons, and security guys might not like it.......

Mumsey
              For details of AT10 go to http://www.gabitevents.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Erin13 View Post
                My Dad used to work for United and I asked him what he thought. He said you'd probably be fine since it's known to be photo equipment but since you're going out of the country it may be a bit tougher in terms of security. He suggested to just call the airline and ask. I guess they'll they give a definitive yes or no. Hope that helps.
                Does he have any suggestions or insider information you could pass onto us?

I'm at J11, and Suse is next to me at J12.

Two weeks from now, I'll be over the Atlantic. *is excited*
                sigpic

In memory of Deejay.
                May we all be so well loved.

Comment

As long as it fits all the way into your carry-on you should not have any trouble with it in your carry-on. I have taken mine in my carry-on a number of times the last few years and never had a problem.
                  My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

i have a 6 inch one that i've taken in my carry on, they had to look at it to see what it was, but there was no issue.
                    Where in the World is George Hammond?

sigpic

Comment

I was thinking that it looked like someone had cloned you...
                      I like your thinking better.
                      Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                      William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                      Anon

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post

Hmmmmm.... You're making me wonder.... were you at the cocktail party last year sitting at my table??????
                        Quite possibly. I don't remember the "episode" we were sitting at, but we were the second to last table to be visited, I think. I was wearing a brown suit.
                        Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
                        William Shakespeare

Meddle ye not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and tasty with ketchup.
                        Anon

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
                          As long as it fits all the way into your carry-on you should not have any trouble with it in your carry-on. I have taken mine in my carry-on a number of times the last few years and never had a problem.
                          Unfortunately it doesn't fit all the way in the carryon But it does have its own carry pouch. When I ordered it didn't have the size listed so I assumed it was a 6 inch one.

Comment

Lol. Nice logic

I was in row I last year. I sat next to someone who had the stargate shaved on the back of her head. It was really wow!
                            E 06 checking in!

PengYn, I remember her. I was in Row K last year, so just two rows behind you. And, wow is right. That was pretty amazing.

Oooh, and a quick Oyster question, oh, royal tube correspondent....I still have my Oyster card from November 2006. See if I have this right....I can still use that Oyster card and since the card is less than two years old I don't have to pay the deposit again, correct? If that's right, then I figured I'd just add money to it and do PAYG. With all the different Oyster/Travel Card options, that just seems like the least confusing option... Thanks for your help!

Thanks, sueKay!

Thanks, Mala!

Comment

Here is an update list:

Spoiler:
                              Mal - A19
                              Skydiver B-10
                              Sue ( Sky's friend) B-09
                              ChopinGirl
                              antoa315 - C5
                              Tsaxlady - B6
                              ShimmeringStar - B7
                              PengYn - G6
                              Celandine
                              Kliggins
                              dipsofjazz
                              samcarterrules - C1
                              Tittamiire
                              TracyJane - D9
                              ames - D10
                              JanSam
                              MandySG1
                              Erin13
                              scifithinker - J11
                              suse - J12
                              SamJackShipLover - N5
                              Mark1972 - H1
                              sofie - F2 and F3
                              sclairef99
                              rebelwriter03
                              AmberMoon
                              starflight - E6
                              rderoch - E12, E13 and E14
                              raknor
                              RepliCartertje - F1
                              Fa
                              minigeek
                              donamac
                              CapitaBlood - D4
                              Vikitty - H2
                              EH-T - J1
                              ForeverSG1
                              scarimor
                              Terrah
                              Mousie
                              Shirt'N'Tie

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
                                Does he have any suggestions or insider information you could pass onto us?

I'm at J11, and Suse is next to me at J12.

Two weeks from now, I'll be over the Atlantic. *is excited*
                                <<must remember to pack blowdart equipment to annoy Jan and Mandy as they are so close. >>

suse
                                sigpic
                                Mourning Sanctuary.
                                Thanks for the good times!

Comment

Working...
                                X