Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
    Of course we missed you, Mal.

I have another question for the audience. My principal is leaving in another month, so I have to submit my leave paperwork now. The problem is, I can't decide whether to do my tourist impression the week before or the week after the con.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to picking one week over the other?
    Sky had good suggestions. I'd also ask you when do you want to fly? And if you fly on a Friday or especially a Saturday evening from the U.S. expect your plane to be packed. (If that's a consideration for you.)

I flew on a Saturday evening (took off that Friday) and spent Sunday a.m. - Thurs. afternoon at an inexpensive flat in central London. Flew back out the Tuesday morn after the con. But my own schedule was dictated by the last con being the weekend before the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday, and I had to decide if I wanted to miss the holiday here (and the Black Friday shopping ) or do it before.

I've got the same dilemma as you again this time (with no major holiday to help me decide if it'll be before or after), but I'm leaning towards sightseeing before the con since my roomie hopes to get in before the con and flight out the Monday morning after the con. The only other thing I know for sure is I *don't* want to leave for the UK on a weekend... learned my lesson on that one!

Another question would be how much post-con after-you're-back-home recovery time do you think you'd need? *grins* Not everyone is like *whispers* tsaxlady who can fly back and head back to school a few hours after landing.... (((((T))))
    Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
    My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Originally posted by scifithinker View Post
      Of course we missed you, Mal.

I have another question for the audience. My principal is leaving in another month, so I have to submit my leave paperwork now. The problem is, I can't decide whether to do my tourist impression the week before or the week after the con.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to picking one week over the other?

Another consideration for doing sightseeing before the con is the ticket may be less expensive in late April, depending on the airline and when they decide the summer season starts. It may make no difference at all, but might be worth a look. Sometimes flying on a Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday can help with ticket price too. Good luck.
      sigpic

Comment

Jan and I are planning on coming in on Thursday, then switching hotels on Monday and staying for a few more days to do some sight seeing
        sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Did you and Jan get the GABIT rate for the Thursday night also? When I called (long ago, fairly) they told me they'd "sold out" the Thursday night at that rate. Seemed odd since it was the day after the tickets went on sale. I was wondering if perhaps that rate was only negotiated for the Friday-Sunday and the person I spoke to on the phone just didn't have much of a clue.

Live On Stage in Toronto - August 8,9,10 2008
          ~all proceeds to benefit charity~

Comment

Originally posted by minigeek View Post
            Did you and Jan get the GABIT rate for the Thursday night also? When I called (long ago, fairly) they told me they'd "sold out" the Thursday night at that rate. Seemed odd since it was the day after the tickets went on sale. I was wondering if perhaps that rate was only negotiated for the Friday-Sunday and the person I spoke to on the phone just didn't have much of a clue.
            No unfortunately we didn't get that Gabit rate for Thursday
            sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Mal must be having internet problems again since she hasn't posted today's countdown. Poor Mal.

In her absence, I dedicate today's countdown to Mal.

223 Days to Go!!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mandysg1 View Post
                No unfortunately we didn't get that Gabit rate for Thursday
                Becky stated earlier in an earlier post that the Gabit rate was only for Friday-Sunday.

Originally posted by BeckyPreen
                The convention rate for attendees is valid Friday through Sunday only. The booking code only works for friday-sunday nights and if you try booking on line with the code for a period including days outside this it will not allow it. If you have non standard requirements I recommend phoning the reservations line at the hotel and speaking to someone.

Best WIshes
                Becks
                G4
                sigpic

Comment

222 DAYS TO GO!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by dipsofjazz View Post
                    Mal must be having internet problems again since she hasn't posted today's countdown. Poor Mal.

In her absence, I dedicate today's countdown to Mal.

223 Days to Go!!
                    yes my net was down yesterday again . today its back, but i'm not sure if it will last the day. We should be getting an engineer around tomorw to look at it.

Comment

Originally posted by Kliggins View Post
                      Becky stated earlier in an earlier post that the Gabit rate was only for Friday-Sunday.
                      Yes, well you see for Gateworld delinquents such as myself who visit once a month, I rely on word of mouth. Far be it from me to scour backwards in a thread for heaven's sake.

Thanks for the 411, Mandy.

Comment

Originally posted by ShimmeringStar View Post
                        Another question would be how much post-con after-you're-back-home recovery time do you think you'd need? *grins* Not everyone is like *whispers* tsaxlady who can fly back and head back to school a few hours after landing.... (((((T))))
                        Well I will only have one month of school and five concerts left when I get back. No sleep needed until June -

I'm looking forward to some sight-seeing and hanging with friends more than the con itself at the current moment.
                        My View From The Peanut Gallery

Comment

Originally posted by tsaxlady View Post
                          Well I will only have one month of school and five concerts left when I get back. No sleep needed until June -

I'm looking forward to some sight-seeing and hanging with friends more than the con itself at the current moment.
                          LOL! And you'll need all that June sleep to get ready for a sleep-deprived July!

Yep. Catching the sights and catching up with friends will definitely be a highlight for me too.

Is it April yet??????!

Yes, well you see for Gateworld delinquents such as myself who visit once a month, I rely on word of mouth. Far be it from me to scour backwards in a thread for heaven's sake.

Thanks for the 411, Mandy.
                          I wouldn't call you a deliquent, mini.

You probably remember me posting last month that I *DID* get the rate for 4 days. And I did. Have been cleaning through the mountain of papers on my desk and looked for my Ren bill and yes......... error it may have been, but I got charged 80 per night Thursday to Sunday and then it went up to 139 for the Monday night I stayed.

I plan to call tomorrow, if not Tuesday to reserve my room. Would lurve to get the same woman I spoke with last year. Now that I think about it, since I was a COMPLETE newbie at international travel and booking a room in a foreign country, I remember specifically confirming with her that the rate would be for 4 nights (so I knew what to budget) and she said yes. Maybe because I didn't want to move rooms or hotels for my final day's stay sans roomie and was willing to pay the blank-awful 139 rate for Monday (and had come into the Ren a day early, again sans roomie), maybe she took pity on me and gave me an extra day at con rate? Who knows?

All I know is the bill is there on my night stand and it does show 4 days at the con rate.
                          Convention Pix Shore Leave ('06 to '09), AT2, AT3, & AT4 ('06, '08, & '09), and Vancouver ('07)
                          My SG fanfic! ..Click Here.

Comment

Last year you mean? I did also. Thursday through Sunday night at the reduced rate. Perhaps they made the error all around.

Comment

Last year you mean? I did also. Thursday through Sunday night at the reduced rate. Perhaps they made the error all around.
                              Too bad they aren't making the same mistake this year
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Hi, I'm new to this forum and to Gateworld <g> but not to Amanda Tapping or Stargate <g> And I am planning to attend AT3! Yay!

Just the other night while tooling around on the net, I discovered a very, very cool event some of you might be interested in: the brilliantly talented British comedy duo French & Saunders will be performing on stage just before and just after AT3.

They are appearing:
                                April 27 & 28, 2008 in Bristol
                                May 5, 2008 in Oxford

Tickets for both locations are on sale now through the following link:
                                http://www.newtheatreoxford.org.uk/p...ID=103&pid=560

Oxford is one hour from central London via bus or train. Bristol is about 30 minutes farther than that.

For those of you who don't recognize these names, French & Saunders created Absolutely Fabulous, a huge comedy hit on the BBC which starred Jennifer Saunders. In addition to being named by Amanda Tapping as her favorite performer, Dawn French starred in the popular and very funny The Vicar of Dibley. Both comedians wrote and starred in many variety show specials for the BBC, and both were part of the large ensemble cast for the well-received comedy Clatterford.

I'll be attending the May 5th performance in Oxford. I hope to see some of you there, after we meet at AT3 <g>

Comment

Working...
                                X