GABIT attendees thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
    This is totally off topic and I guess most of you haven't been following the story of little Aria so a bit of a catch up-

Aria was born unable to feed properly, so for the first 3 1/2 years of her life she was feed intravenously. Her family had to move from New Zealand to the US so she could have a quadruple organ transplant (bowel, kidneys, pancreas and liver). The bowel rejected after about 3 months and she was relisted for another transplant (and the family had to face the awful wait for another child to die so theirs might live) but not long after they got the call that some organs were available.

Now, just weeks after the second transplant Aria has received her first proper food ever! She is being fed intestinally!

http://aria.org.nz/2010/05/30/huge-news/

This is major, and I can't wait for everyone in NZ to wake up and hear the news!
    Amazing. One more reason to consider organ donation for loved ones and, if you haven't done so already, to sign your organ donor card.

Thanks to Pengyn, SamJackShipLover and Mala for the sig.

Comment

Originally posted by NZNeep View Post
      This is totally off topic and I guess most of you haven't been following the story of little Aria so a bit of a catch up-

Aria was born unable to feed properly, so for the first 3 1/2 years of her life she was feed intravenously. Her family had to move from New Zealand to the US so she could have a quadruple organ transplant (bowel, kidneys, pancreas and liver). The bowel rejected after about 3 months and she was relisted for another transplant (and the family had to face the awful wait for another child to die so theirs might live) but not long after they got the call that some organs were available.

Now, just weeks after the second transplant Aria has received her first proper food ever! She is being fed intestinally!

http://aria.org.nz/2010/05/30/huge-news/

This is major, and I can't wait for everyone in NZ to wake up and hear the news!
      I once worked at a daycare where there was a little boy who had a 'bag' surgically attached to his side for his wastes. He had multiple organ problems as well, but was a very happy, curious boy just the same, though with a few obvious restrictions. I remember we always had to be careful when changing his diaper because of the proximity of the bag. Anyways, I left the job before any news on his surgeries, but last I heard, he had thankfully received the transplants he needed and was even more active and 'whole' than ever before.

58 days!

Comment

it's amazing what they can do medically and surgically now. thank God for the advances in medicine.

i've been trying to decide what to do to entertain myself while in vanc. i looked into the whale watch trips and they are really expensive. i used to go for $50-60 on 5 hour tours in new england, but the cheapest i've found so far is $120-pretty pricey. guess i'll settle for a beluga whale at the aquarium. just started gathering info on all the parks and tourist areas. so many choices, so little time.

Comment

Don't forget to leave a huge block of time in your plans for some general hanging out with friends. That's one of the best parts.

Speaking of which, is it too soon to inquire again about a GW meet-up (dinner?) of those either going to SE, MTM or both? Last we talked, our plans weren't definite beyond us meeting perhaps after SE is over (on Monday, 2nd of August) that way it would hopefully overlap travel days for people coming in only for MTM.

Comment

I booked my flights!!! I and the blue jello will definitely be there ...barring any unforeseen acts of TPTB, of course... *attempts to placate with bluey goodness and Tim's*

Originally posted by EH-T View Post
            Hey, two months today and I'm in Vancouver, Vangroovy, Vanctuary!
            Less than two months for me - I'm arriving the 26th Of course, having literally just come off a night shift, I'm assuming that day will pretty much be a write-off, as I do the internal struggle with both sleep deprivation and timezone-shifting, but hey - it's all good! I'll be in Vangroovy!

Originally posted by lame moose View Post
            it's amazing what they can do medically and surgically now. thank God for the advances in medicine.

i've been trying to decide what to do to entertain myself while in vanc. i looked into the whale watch trips and they are really expensive. i used to go for $50-60 on 5 hour tours in new england, but the cheapest i've found so far is $120-pretty pricey. guess i'll settle for a beluga whale at the aquarium. just started gathering info on all the parks and tourist areas. so many choices, so little time.
            I spent quite a bit of time bonding with the beluga whale at the aquarium on a previous trip - he's quite friendly. I also recommend checking out the rest of Stanley Park while you're out that way - there's a totem forest, and flower gardens (which'll be fun to check out when it's not February, unlike my first time ), as well as oodles of picturesque views for those ppl jonseying for landscape photo ops

Originally posted by Celandine View Post
            Don't forget to leave a huge block of time in your plans for some general hanging out with friends. That's one of the best parts.

Speaking of which, is it too soon to inquire again about a GW meet-up (dinner?) of those either going to SE, MTM or both? Last we talked, our plans weren't definite beyond us meeting perhaps after SE is over (on Monday, 2nd of August) that way it would hopefully overlap travel days for people coming in only for MTM.
            Ooh, sounds like fun! I'm in! *bounces*
            ...awaiting inspiration...and time/energy/know-how!

SanctuaryWorld - Enter the New Reality
            ames on facebook
            ames on LJ (codename "bluejelloqueen", of course! )

Comment

*pops back in to see what she missed whilst she was at CM16*

Sooooo people how long now til AT5? Okay I know I have Chevron first (meeting the awesome Ms Rothery if all goes to plan), but AT5 is the one I'm looking forward to the most.
              sigpic

Comment

Hi Nat, was nice talking to you at C16..glad I was able to talk you into going to Chevron...you will love it. How about....TSE???? Worth the try.
                sigpic Martin Rocks!!

Comment

Originally posted by clairec007 View Post
                  Hi Nat, was nice talking to you at C16..glad I was able to talk you into going to Chevron...you will love it. How about....TSE???? Worth the try.
                  Unless you want to pay for it all for me sadly it's too expensive
                  sigpic

Comment

At the moment my specific day plans are up in the air. However, once the air has cleared I'm happy to join in if available.

Comment

Sounds like a fun thing to do.... count me in.
                      sigpic

Comment

At the moment my specific day plans are up in the air. However, once the air has cleared I'm happy to join in if available.
                        Same goes for me and Sarai

Comment

Me too. I love the area and plan to go to Duncan BC for a couple days between SE and MTM but I'm up for other activites too. I'll have my car. (a Prius)

BUt first I'm going to Gatecon in July. A busy summer

Comment

Originally posted by donamac View Post
                            Me too. I love the area and plan to go to Duncan BC for a couple days between SE and MTM but I'm up for other activites too. I'll have my car. (a Prius)

BUt first I'm going to Gatecon in July. A busy summer
                            Neat. I would have loved to go to Gatecon but it was too far away from SE to stay the whole time and I can't justify two trips to Vancouver in one month. I'll look forward to hearing about it from you.

Comment

Before we could set a dinner meet-up, it'd be logical to see what day would work out for everyone first. Some peeps are going only to SE, some to MTM, and some to both. This makes it tricky, but not impossible to arrange something.

The last date discussed was Monday, 2nd of August. Depending on when people might be leaving or arriving it could be a possible date to get together. How would this work for everyone?

Comment

I hope you don't mind but this discussion has been spread over three or more areas so I opened up one place under the "Sanctuary" thread for comments to try and put it all in one place. Hopefully this way all the responses will be easier to find. I thought the "Gabit" site might throw some people off. But maybe moving the subject under the "Stargate Fandom" might be even better it someone can do that.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X