This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Are viewers too serious? MAJOR spoilers for s5's "Remnants"

First off, let me apologize if there's a similar thread out there. The search function only gives me the forum homepage, so my chances of finding such a thread are low.

Secondly, I've been cruising around the forums for the past few months reading about what people have to say about the current SGA episodes and I'm finding a lot of negativity. People keep bashing episodes by saying that, "The CGI is horrible," or that, "the writers suck," and even, "*insert character's name here* would never do or say that!"

Lets take "Remnants" for example. People have said that the episode resembled Star Wars too much with Sheppard losing his hand and Koyla looking down on him from the cliff's edge and that the whole "Sheppard Story Line" would never have happened because he knows Koyla is dead and that the Genii could never know where Atlantis is. (This is not the only episode--just one I can easily remember).

Now don't get me wrong, I'll admit that SGA has had a few stinker episodes but are the viewers becoming to serious when it comes to watching SGA? I have enjoyed just about every episode of Stargate there is and it's because when I watch Stargate, I throw reality out the window and dive right into the Sci-Fi that is Stargate. Doing this allows me to take in everything that's given to me on the big screen and appreciate SGA so much more. It seems to me, however, that some people are looking for an excuse to bash SGA and in doing so, they miss out on the Stargate experience.

So, are the viewers too serious, or am I just not watching T.V. the right way anymore?
    sigpic
    ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

I agree with you. It's sort of strange to see all these people who devote their time to Stargate talking about how much they hate what's happening in the episodes. I tend to laugh at plot-holes and such instead of getting mad about them.

I must admit, I do love Keller-bashing, though.
    Wraith Humour. I has it.

Comment

Yes, the viewers are too serious.

Comment

I definately agree. First and foremost, it is a tv show, not reality, so there is really no big reason to just so up-tight about the little things! Sure there is going to be the occassional episode that isn't up-to-par with their usual good standard, but I mean, everyone can't be perfect right? I mean I think we should be grateful that in the 10 years of SG1 and the 5 years of SGA there have really be very few 'bad' episodes, something quite remarkable for 2 long run series.
        Lets just say Radek Zelenka can be my Mad Scientist any day!
        sigpic
        Thanks to Humanityspotential for the awesome Zelenka Siggie!

Comment

Originally posted by Greenfire32 View Post
          First off, let me apologize if there's a similar thread out there. The search function only gives me the forum homepage, so my chances of finding such a thread are low.

Secondly, I've been cruising around the forums for the past few months reading about what people have to say about the current SGA episodes and I'm finding a lot of negativity. People keep bashing episodes by saying that, "The CGI is horrible," or that, "the writers suck," and even, "*insert character's name here* would never do or say that!"

Lets take "Remnants" for example. People have said that the episode resembled Star Wars too much with Sheppard losing his hand and Koyla looking down on him from the cliff's edge and that the whole "Sheppard Story Line" would never have happened because he knows Koyla is dead and that the Genii could never know where Atlantis is. (This is not the only episode--just one I can easily remember).

Now don't get me wrong, I'll admit that SGA has had a few stinker episodes but are the viewers becoming to serious when it comes to watching SGA? I have enjoyed just about every episode of Stargate there is and it's because when I watch Stargate, I throw reality out the window and dive right into the Sci-Fi that is Stargate. Doing this allows me to take in everything that's given to me on the big screen and appreciate SGA so much more. It seems to me, however, that some people are looking for an excuse to bash SGA and in doing so, they miss out on the Stargate experience.

So, are the viewers too serious, or am I just not watching T.V. the right way anymore?
          The Negative/complaint opinions are the loudest voices on any forum. A lot of folks are loving this season like myself. So it's very subjective.

GW has become a hate-fest for almost anything Stargate related, not just SGA. People might want to move on if they don't like something anymore.

Don't let a few loud folks get you down, because a lot of folks here are still loving this show. It is what you think of the show, not what others think. Remember that!
          Last edited by Briangate78; 25 November 2008, 08:18 PM.
          sigpic

Comment

I too agree. As you, I have see many rude, bashing, and just mean comments posted not only about episodes of SGA but on a few occassions about the person posting their opinion. It is truly scarey sometimes.
            SGA is a TV show that entertains me, flaws and all. I have not missed a single episode of either SG-1 or SGA and I have enjoyed all of them, some more than others, but I would not have missed them for the world.

sig by Varda

Comment

YES!
              Well....as Brian said...only a few.
              To me, I agree with most of what has been said. When I watch an episode and then come on here it really is amazing, and intrguing to me to see people focus on such little details so much of the time, especially when it apparently stops them from enjoying the episode.
              Like in SAR, there was a plot hole that even annoyed me a little bit. Did I hate the episode? No. I really enjoyed that episode, not as much as a lot of the others, but still.
              Or with brain storm, and others.
              On most things I do not even see it so much as being bad though. Or I see it in a completly different way. my goal with SG is to be entertained, first and foremost. And it has done that for all the years I have watched it.

Comment

It's a touchy topic and I'm curious to see how long this thread stays open before it's shut down.

Obviously, people are entitled to their opinions - good or bad. And they're clearly entitled to express them when they want, how they want, and how often they want.

It's a personal thing. Personally, I don't bother devoting energy to something I don't like. Others do it because they're passionate about a show they may have once loved and now feel almost betrayed by what they perceive to be a downward spiral.

I don't think the reasons matter. The crux of the matter remains that if someone wishes to express an opinion they should be free to do so without fear of recrimination or judgment.

Really, what's the point of concerning yourself with why someone else bothers to post what they post? You don't like it, ignore it. Or if you can't ignore it, at least respect it and them enough to not question the matter repeatedly.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                  YES!
                  Well....as Brian said...only a few.
                  To me, I agree with most of what has been said. When I watch an episode and then come on here it really is amazing, and intrguing to me to see people focus on such little details so much of the time, especially when it apparently stops them from enjoying the episode.
                  Like in SAR, there was a plot hole that even annoyed me a little bit. Did I hate the episode? No. I really enjoyed that episode, not as much as a lot of the others, but still.
                  Or with brain storm, and others.
                  On most things I do not even see it so much as being bad though. Or I see it in a completly different way. my goal with SG is to be entertained, first and foremost. And it has done that for all the years I have watched it.
                  Before the mods shut this thread down, which they likely will. I have to say that I know opinions on both sides are fine. But there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Discussing the aspects of an episode and what was good and weak or missing is fine, but folks take it to the next level and will say it sucks before they even watch the episode. I've read reviews like "No wonder why they cancelled this show" and that is all they write. I mean come on, what kind of review is that???
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post
                    It's a touchy topic and I'm curious to see how long this thread stays open before it's shut down.

Obviously, people are entitled to their opinions - good or bad. And they're clearly entitled to express them when they want, how they want, and how often they want.

It's a personal thing. Personally, I don't bother devoting energy to something I don't like. Others do it because they're passionate about a show they may have once loved and now feel almost betrayed by what they perceive to be a downward spiral.

I don't think the reasons matter. The crux of the matter remains that if someone wishes to express an opinion they should be free to do so without fear of recrimination or judgment.

Really, what's the point of concerning yourself with why someone else bothers to post what they post? You don't like it, ignore it. Or if you can't ignore it, at least respect it and them enough to not question the matter repeatedly.
                    For the most part...good points.

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                      Before the mods shut this thread down, which they likely will. I have to say that I know opinions on both sides are fine. But there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Discussing the aspects of an episode and what was good and weak or missing is fine, but folks take it to the next level and will say it sucks before they even watch the episode. I've read reviews like "No wonder why they cancelled this show" and that is all they write. I mean come on, what kind of review is that???
                      As bad as they are, they are entitled to those opinions too. Even though I personally agree with you.
                      But I just think some of the stuff that I have heard and read plan old does not make sense, and crosses the line into insulting, especially in the old anti season 10 thread. And I have not spent enough time in the anti season 5 thread to determine if this trend is continuing. But it was...wow....some of the things really made me want to just scream....fortanatley I backed out.

Comment

Originally posted by Col.Foley View Post
                        As bad as they are, they are entitled to those opinions too. Even though I personally agree with you.
                        But I just think some of the stuff that I have heard and read plan old does not make sense, and crosses the line into insulting, especially in the old anti season 10 thread. And I have not spent enough time in the anti season 5 thread to determine if this trend is continuing. But it was...wow....some of the things really made me want to just scream....fortanatley I backed out.
                        You know how many times people have bashed M&M? I lost count. Not bashing what they write but calling their writing team fanboy woman obsessed Frat boys with no writing skills. Stuff like that.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                          Before the mods shut this thread down, which they likely will.
                          question...why would the mods shut this thread down?

sig by Varda

Comment

Originally posted by Pandora's_Box View Post

I'm not saying the people who "bash" the show are wrong or are doing it without a just cause (and I apologize if that's the message that came across), but that it certainly seems that way.

I'm just curious about what the GW users think. Are we, the viewers, getting mad at SGA's performance as of late because of the cancelation, or is there a good reason why all the "bashing" has been going on?
                            sigpic
                            ____I reserve the right to be completely wrong about any topic I post on.

Comment

Originally posted by ed263 View Post
                              question...why would the mods shut this thread down?
                              Because it's diving into more of people's opinions rather than the show itself.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X