Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So this was an episode about giving the Wraith a new flavor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So this was an episode about giving the Wraith a new flavor?

I find it more than a little odd that nobody in this entire episode bothered to mention that these new aliens are going to have a bit of a challenge evolving a technologically advanced civilization from seeded microbes given, you know, that problem.

Even if you assume that it's not really going to take billions of years for them to evolve naturally, during which time the likelihood of some other species settling on their world and potentially messing with their plans is pretty high, what sort of a future can they expect. Lets say the tech magic lets these guys fast forward their planet's evolution and sentient life appears fairly quickly, that sentient life is still very likely going to be squashed out or oppressed before they get anywhere near advanced enough to find that device.

I bring it up because it's entirely likely that the device's AI didn't even know that the Wraith exist, but nobody felt the need to warn it about them and what they do to civilizations that pursue technological advancement.

The only way this isn't a problem is if the thing was headed out of pegasus, a possability I suppose but not something that was mentioned or really even implied.

maybe there's a very obvious reason the other 49 devices malfunctioned
    I'm an average viewer. As plain as they come. People make TV shows based on my demographic.

Million's of ZPM's, ZPM's for free! Millions of ZPM's, ZPM's for me!

Comment

They are a silicone based life so they probably wouldn't be put on a planet that is habitable by humans or wraith.

Comment

^A Wraith would almost certainly not be able to feed on a silicone based lifeform - not to mention that it will take millions of years for the lifeforms to evolve to level where they would attract the Wraith's attention by which time the Wraith and quite possibly humans will no longer exist - at least not in their present form.

Comment

Maybe if the device ever did start seeding life, the AI could have greater liberty to scan the environment for possible threats. It could induce hallucinations in humans to defend itself, so who knows what it can do to Wraith. Its defense mechanism is remarkably similar to the Nox, except, of course, it couldn't maintain the illusion for an extended period of time.

Comment

Maybe. I also think that they might live in a planet that would be more then likely inhabitable by Wraith or human. Maybe that will protect them from the Wraith. Who knows? It worked for the Asguard. lol
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rsanchez View Post
              Maybe if the device ever did start seeding life, the AI could have greater liberty to scan the environment for possible threats. It could induce hallucinations in humans to defend itself, so who knows what it can do to Wraith. Its defense mechanism is remarkably similar to the Nox, except, of course, it couldn't maintain the illusion for an extended period of time.
              That's a cool idea, if it could do what we saw in Remnants then it could most likely do other cool stuff too, to protect the race.

But again though with the tyhpe of planet they will need to thrive they probably won't encounter the Wraith or humans.

Comment

The device linked with the minds of expedition it likely knows of the Wraith and is praying they don't get found and destroyed. TBH it would have always been a long shot for them, the Wraith add another factor to it but they're obviously going to try. Things may change in millions of years, the Wraith may nurture and encourage other advanced life forms
                Robert Jastrow (self-proclaimed agnostic): "For the scientist who has lived by his faith in the power of reason, the story ends like a bad dream. He has scaled the mountains of ignorance; he is about to conquer the highest peak; as he pulls himself over the final rock, he is greeted by a band of theologians who have been sitting there for centuries."

Comment

Also the Wraith probably wouldn't be even noticing them for a while because they are still gong to be in the earlier stage of evolution at the start anyway, would that not be the case?
                  "First Weir, then Samantha Carter, and now, you! It's a pity you humans die or get reassigned so easily, or I might have a sense of satisfaction now!"

*You got the touch! You got the poweeeeer!*

"Arise, Woolseyus Prime."

"Elizabeth..."

Comment

There are to many unknowns in this question.

Firstly your all assuming that the evolutionary path takes the same time as humans, they are a silicon based organism they could evolve much much quicker then we think.

Secondly they could have genetic memory meaning that the organisms planted could already have all the knowledge of there previous civilizations in which they could progress at a fast rate then normal.

Thirdly they would rise to a greater power much much quicker then any other race as they have the advantage of having everything done up to the point where the previous civilization stopped and decided to make the capsule. They wouldn't have to go through any "Ages" like we did they would have everything they ever needed as soon as they were able to understand it.

-
                    From other episodes i've seen in Atlantis and SG1 most of the "Lost" races either built ships that housed everything they ever had or has some way of making a "Replica" of their species that could start the process. Going from a single organism to a race that are very advanced and technological is a little bit far fetched.

Secondly, when i first saw the capsule i thought it was a Genii Nuke set underneath Atlantis as the make and design of the capsule was very primitive in my views. For a race that was apparently so highly evolved why would they create such a primitive capsule that holds their entire history and knowledge.

Don S. Davis: 1942-2008
                    He will be missed.

Comment

Originally posted by Lt.Con View Post
                      There are to many unknowns in this question.

Firstly your all assuming that the evolutionary path takes the same time as humans, they are a silicon based organism they could evolve much much quicker then we think.
                      That's true, there are to many questions. We're just making our own answers for fun. Atleast I am. lol I like coming up with stuff. I'm odd like that. lol

And that is true. I had honestly never thought of that. That's a good theory. *nod nod*

Secondly they could have genetic memory meaning that the organisms planted could already have all the knowledge of there previous civilizations in which they could progress at a fast rate then normal.
                      That is interesting too.

Thirdly they would rise to a greater power much much quicker then any other race as they have the advantage of having everything done up to the point where the previous civilization stopped and decided to make the capsule. They wouldn't have to go through any "Ages" like we did they would have everything they ever needed as soon as they were able to understand it.
                      Maybe. And maybe the reason why Rodney couldn't get the information out of it without destroying the biologicals was that it was set up to input the knowledge to the beings straight up and there for connected to them in such a way where it was just impossible to be extracted otherwise. *nod nod*Just my opinion of course. lol

-
                      From other episodes i've seen in Atlantis and SG1 most of the "Lost" races either built ships that housed everything they ever had or has some way of making a "Replica" of their species that could start the process. Going from a single organism to a race that are very advanced and technological is a little bit far fetched.
                      One oculd say that, but it's still a fun thought. lol And maybe it can be done. Sci-Fi is an awesome thing. lol Just my opinion though.

Secondly, when i first saw the capsule i thought it was a Genii Nuke set underneath Atlantis as the make and design of the capsule was very primitive in my views. For a race that was apparently so highly evolved why would they create such a primitive capsule that holds their entire history and knowledge.
                      Maybe they wanted everyone to look at it and think it wasn't very advanced. Maybe a way of protecting themselves and making sure no one messed with it. If it's something that was under their own technology, maybe they would leave it alone. Didn't seem to work as 49 out of the 50 pods were destroyed, but it could've been what they had planned. Who knows? lol Just my opinion again though. *nod nod*
                      sigpic

Comment

there silcon which means that they evole in a different means than carbon based life.so wraith would proboly never discover them because silcon based life would need to grow on planents that the wraith would never go to because the planents the wraith couldn't live on.
                        sigpic

ATLANTIS RULES

Comment

All the wraith sing with me:

"There's a party in my tummy" So Yummy, so yummy" "There's a party in my tummy" "So Yummy So Yummy"
                          Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

I doubt the Wraith would even know they existed. After all, they're silicon-based. They most probably require special conditions carbon-based life cannot survive in, thus, the planet which the probe will ultimately use will be a planet the Wraith don't care about.

It's not like the Wraith check up on every uninhabitable (by humans and Wraith) planet on a regular basis just for the lulz.

Comment

I would guess that since they existed in large enough numbers to create and send out a device like this they were somewhat advanced. Like I said in another thread probably not super advanced since its most likely they didnt have ships or were somehow stranded without ships during the time they all died.

I do believe that if they didnt have the issue of dealing with the Wraith based on the feeding aspect, the Wraith would still have an interest in them if they became advanced enough to create ships and technology to assist the humans of the galaxy. I would assume that they would assist the humans since the AI in the device was looking for a specific type of lifeform with enough compassion to send their seeding process on its path. I could be wrong though and they could be an evil race that played Atlantis and actually wants to destroy life other than their own.. we will probably never know now..
                              sigpic
                              I love the big hairy fuzzy men on TV, mmmm
                              "I'll Be Your Freyr Elrad, Wait For Me!!!
                              Me On YouTube! http://www.youtube.com/airricksreloaded

Comment

Working...
                              X