Problems with the Ending

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems with the Ending

its understandable why she betrayed her replicator friends, because after all they did try to sink the city and kill everyone in Atlantis. so she knew they can't be trusted.

But after she fooled all the Replicator to follow her into the gate (going first and transmitting to them from the other side that it was ok) and they all ended up floating in space , the Atlantis team now knew that Weir was loyal to them and not the replicators, so why not send a Jumper to the other side to just pick up Weir.
    They could then put her in the virtual reality. better than dying in the cold of space isn't it?
    Also they could get more intell from her. For example she could tell them where the replicators left their ship.

Originally posted by AscendedThor View Post
    its understandable why she betrayed her replicator friends, because after all they did try to sink the city and kill everyone in Atlantis. so she knew they can't be trusted.

But after she fooled all the Replicator to follow her into the gate (going first and transmitting to them from the other side that it was ok) and they all ended up floating in space , the Atlantis team now knew that Weir was loyal to them and not the replicators, so why not send a Jumper to the other side to just pick up Weir.
    They could then put her in the virtual reality. better than dying in the cold of space isn't it?
    Also they could get more intell from her. For example she could tell them where the replicators left their ship.
    I actully thought of this to but I just can't work out why they didn't.

Fav Stargate Quotes

Spoiler:
    Thanks! It'll be a walk in the park ... a very scary park, filled with monsters who are trying to kill me.

I like the yellow ones.

Operation "This Will Most Likely End Badly" is a go.

OH CRAP!!!

You need someone dumber than you are.... You may have come to the right place.

Comment

I have a feeling that that's how Weir herself wanted it to end. She didn't just want to betray the other replicators, she just knew that it had to end, for all of them.

Comment

Such an amazing ending.

Comment

Because they already changed the opening credits once this season.

Comment

It was the same thing with Ava. No matter what a replicator does to try to prove to them that they are not the bad guy, they won't allow themselves to take the risk. Weir likely couldn't build a Human body on her own and they refused to let themselves trust her so long as she was made up of nanite cells. Which is the saddest part of all, as they knew in their hearts that she was the real deal by the end of the episode, but couldn't let themselves base their decision on that. Which is even more interesting as their decisions throughout the episode ended up being made (in part) out of prejudice and fear.

As for going back so they can at least put her in a virtual reality, that is a good point, but it's probably the same thing. It was one thing to put Ava in a virtual reality because she was already right there. Going to kill her or uploading her consciousness has almost the same chance of something going wrong in general (in their minds anyway). Likewise, it was one thing to get rid of Weir by uploading her consciousness into a virtual reality when she was on Atlantis already, but now they would have to risk bringing her back and despite what they feel toward her, she's a machine and therefore they convince themselves that there are so many ways even that could go wrong. Plus, I agree with Zepro. I don't think she wanted that. Look at her reaction to when they told the other replicators they didn't plan to let her keep her body. I think she rather be dead.

Comment

Originally posted by AscendedThor View Post
              better than dying in the cold of space isn't it?
              But the replicator bodies don't die in space... they just freeze up. This leaves plenty of opening to see these characters again.

Comment

Originally posted by senilegreen View Post
                But the replicator bodies don't die in space... they just freeze up. This leaves plenty of opening to see these characters again.
                Well actually it does more than that. Based on the dialogue over Niam we learned that his power levels were diminished as a result of the harsh environment/direct solar radiation and Mckay basically stated that he was almost too low on power. Although he didn't say if he was too low on power to just be useful for the situation or too low on power to continue existing. So we don't know what happens if they run out completely. But with Reese, she had to have her power supply function at less than 1% to maintain her memory. Since replicators are more advanced, it may be possible that their memories are stored no matter if they have power or not. That way they can just be powered back up in the future and regain consciousness. However, if that isn't the case it may mean they only have a short window to somehow get out of there before they suffer mental deaths (presumably if they are repowered after that they will be blank slates, which may be worse than just having them angry).

Comment

Originally posted by senilegreen View Post
                  Yeah this is why I don't really get why everyone thinks this is such a sad ending... Weir is not dead.. so what huge sacifrice did she make... if she really wanted to end it all like she said then why not do something that would permanatley kill them.

So she is just floating around space . and will turn into a popsicle... and probably some unsuspecting Ship will come by and pick them up.. and then here we go again...
                  The Return of The Replicators .. part ??
                  sigpic

Comment

This ending will give me a lot to think about.

Comment

I personally thought the ending was a wee disappointing. Not because it was ¨sad¨, but because the show sort of portrayed the replicators as inherently bad just because they are not like them. I hope we can see a change in that mentality later in the shows history.

Comment

It would seem that we are learning a new mentality of organics.

Comment

Having been a fan of RDM's BSG since the miniseries, and watching characters like Athena come around and all that, I am a bit disappointed that the Asurans of the Stargate franchise are automatically determined as a threat, regardless -- but, you know, it's different environments, different scenarios, different races altogether.

This is our universe we're talking about with Stargate, unequivocally, and our approximate time, at that. With world leadership as it is, it's no real wonder the Asuran rebels would be considered too much of a threat for most circumstances, hands down. Besides, Stargate as a whole is intentionally a fair bit more 'black and white' than BSG, Blade Runner and the like when it comes to these matters. The Asurans aren't Reploids or Cylons, they're Asurans.
                          If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

^ And I am glad that more people will refer to them as Asurans. It really grinds my gears that they keep calling them Replicators.

Comment

Originally posted by ussrelativity View Post
                              ^ And I am glad that more people will refer to them as Asurans. It really grinds my gears that they keep calling them Replicators.
                              Me too. There is quite a clear and present difference between them. I remember when Atlantis Season 3/SG-1 Season 10 were airing, and I didn't have the means to watch them, but heard spoilers and read that 'Atlantis is bringing the Replicators back for a full new arc!' my jaw dropped with disgust. That would have been pushing it; beating a dead horse, going that far anew with the Replicators. But once I managed to get my hands on the episodes and realized it was just an understandable but overdone incorrect word choice, I breathed a sigh of relief.

The Asurans might have had all sorts of 'been there, done that' in principle for the franchise, but there was uniqueness to them as well.
                              If you've seen a Jeff O'Connor or a JeffZero or a Jeff Zero or a JeffZeroConnor elsewhere on the net, there's a considerable chance it's me.

Comment

Working...
                              X