Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Enough bullets can overwhelm a personal shield?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

While all of this is speculative...I suspect that as some earlier posts had said...the sheild was meant primarily for energy weapons. It is possible that the shield is supposed to be powered by the energy absorbed from the blasts it is intended to deflect...with bullets it will eventually run out of juice.

Comment

Originally posted by Kevinp321 View Post
      While all of this is speculative...I suspect that as some earlier posts had said...the sheild was meant primarily for energy weapons. It is possible that the shield is supposed to be powered by the energy absorbed from the blasts it is intended to deflect...with bullets it will eventually run out of juice.
      Wow I had not thought of it in those terms at all, but it does make alot of sense. Very well done!

Comment

I think the alien soldier was beamed up to the ship.
        The energy from the bullets was only about 1MJ. Any advanced personal shield should support that.

Comment

He killed himself.

There wasn't enough room on the platform for him to get back upto the ship what with Daniel and Rodney being on it as well as the other Aliens.

No point in prolonging the inevitable, he switched his sheild off and got shot.

/end

Comment

Punching the shield long enough would break it....eventually, and they wernt using small ordinence.

Comment

Originally posted by kymeric View Post
              Punching the shield long enough would break it....eventually, and they wernt using small ordinence.
              Hard to tell really.

First, we don't know what technology is in use (well.. it's probably some form of *banana* tech - but then again, it could be different from our run of the mill *bananas*).

Second, there is no possible "real life" analogy we can draw from.. (I am yet to see any form of immaterial shield being able to absorb kinetic energy - except maybe for a magnetic shield).

Third, the amount of energy - and most important - power, isn't that much important. Say there are 5 people, aiming at a single target, firing a rate of 300 rounds per minute. The energy density of a military rifle is ~500kJ/kg.. A single bullet is about 20g, so each bullet caries about 10kJ.. at 300 rpm, 5 men, that's 10kJ/sec (10*60*5/300) which is 10kW.. Which is about 1/4 of the power output of a small automobile.. So basically, if the shield can absorb the power of a small motorcycle, it can withstand the firepower of 5 men discharding high power military rifles at intensive rate.. If the shield manages to absorb the energy, convert it into heat, or even recycle the energy to power the shield.. it may be able to do so - indefinitely..

My take on this : The shield was shutdown voluntarily, and the occupant of the suit either sacrificed itself, had its consciousness beamed out, or maybe this particular suit didn't have an occupant to start with.

--Ivan

Comment

I'm sticking with the occupant switching the sheild off, as for the consciousness being beamed out we've all pretty much agreed that the level of tech for these group of banana's is different to the known banana's and maybe they dont have that tech available to them and what he did he did to ensure the escape of the other banana's, afterall the sheild dropping seemed to coincide pretty much with the leaving of the other banana's although it is possible it was an empty suit, until we know more about this bunch though its hard to say.

Comment

If they had the tech to just beam the banana out of the suit, why not just beam all three of them down into the base of the tower instead of jumping from the ship and using the cutting platform thingy? They didn't have to worry about the shield because they were inside of it. They either didn't have the tech or it was deliberately not used to conceal their identity as bananas.

Comment

fair to say that this bunch of banana's arent as yellow as the GM banana's we know.

Comment

Originally posted by Trig View Post
                      fair to say that this bunch of banana's arent as yellow as the GM banana's we know.
                      Mmmm banana split anyone??

Comment

Working...
                      X