Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Carter's Departure

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Carter's Departure

    In "Search and Rescue," Carter was replaced by Woolsey. There was vague dialogue about being the victim of her own success. What does that mean? Vague. In the series finale, we discover she's back on SG-1. During the events of the finale, she had temporary command of the SGC while Landry was in Washington. Why didn't he come running back during the crisis??? Anyway... We learn that she's going to be given command of the George Hammond which we see in the first Universe episode.

    Do you see command of a Daedalus-class ship as a step down from commanding Atlantis?

    #2
    She succeeded so much that there was no longer a significant threat, and it was felt by the IOA a military commander was no longer needed.

    Landry was probably filling in for Hammond.

    Comment


      #3
      http://forum.gateworld.net/threads/5...ter-(Spoilers)
      Originally posted by aretood2
      Jelgate is right

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post
        She succeeded so much that there was no longer a significant threat, and it was felt by the IOA a military commander was no longer needed.
        It would have helped if that had made it into the episode.

        Originally posted by Inquisitor View Post
        Landry was probably filling in for Hammond.
        Hammond's been retired for four years and had died just before the events of the episode. How was Landry filling in?

        Inapplicable, this discussion is not limited to "Search and Rescue."

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
          In "Search and Rescue," Carter was replaced by Woolsey. There was vague dialogue about being the victim of her own success. What does that mean? Vague. In the series finale, we discover she's back on SG-1. During the events of the finale, she had temporary command of the SGC while Landry was in Washington. Why didn't he come running back during the crisis??? Anyway... We learn that she's going to be given command of the George Hammond which we see in the first Universe episode.

          Do you see command of a Daedalus-class ship as a step down from commanding Atlantis?
          Where do you get that she's back on SG1 in the series finale? She's in charge of the SGC in Eatg, because Landry is in Washington, D.C. And just because she's wearing a BDU shirt with an SG1 patch on it is no reason to believe she's back on SG1. It would be a ridiculous waste of rank to have two full bird colonels on one SG team. It's more likely she borrowed a shirt with the patch on it; since it looks like the shirt is too big for her.

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by hedwig View Post
            Where do you get that she's back on SG1 in the series finale? She's in charge of the SGC in Eatg, because Landry is in Washington, D.C. And just because she's wearing a BDU shirt with an SG1 patch on it is no reason to believe she's back on SG1. It would be a ridiculous waste of rank to have two full bird colonels on one SG team. It's more likely she borrowed a shirt with the patch on it; since it looks like the shirt is too big for her.
            First off, she's wearing an SG-1 uniform with an SG-1 shoulder patch. General Landry's still in charge of the SGC, Carter was just filling in for him while he was in Washington. She filled in for him once before in SG-1 (10-5) "Uninvited." If she's not on SG-1, she wouldn't be wearing the team patch. Have you ever seen anyone else wear an SG-1 team patch who wasn't part of SG-1? SG-1 can have two Lt. Cols, but not two full-bird Colonels? What about Continuum? Why would Carter need to borrow an SGC-style BDU jacket when she has her own set of uniforms? You're grasping at straws. It was the producers intent for Carter to have returned to SG-1 while awaiting her next command.

            The question isn't whether she rejoined SG-1 or not, as that much is obvious. The question is whether the George Hammond was a step up or down from Atlantis.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
              First off, she's wearing an SG-1 uniform with an SG-1 shoulder patch. General Landry's still in charge of the SGC, Carter was just filling in for him while he was in Washington. She filled in for him once before in SG-1 (10-5) "Uninvited."
              Once again, this is not news to anyone who has watched the show and knows anything at all about it. And blue BDU's are not an SG1 uniform. Pretty much every team on base wears blue BDU's (or other colors) at one time or another.

              If she's not on SG-1, she wouldn't be wearing the team patch.
              Is this your own personal rule, or have you seen it spelled out somewhere by TPTB?

              Have you ever seen anyone else wear an SG-1 team patch who wasn't part of SG-1?
              I don't have to see anyone else wear that patch. Sam earned it, whether she's still on the team or not. It's that simple. Why keep trying to make something more out of it than there is?

              SG-1 can have two Lt. Cols, but not two full-bird Colonels? What about Continuum?
              Again ... Sam was not on SG1 in "Continuum". She was merely there as was her right having been on the original team and being part of everything related to Ba'al. Wearing an SG1 patch means nothing.

              Why would Carter need to borrow an SGC-style BDU jacket when she has her own set of uniforms?
              Why not?

              You're grasping at straws.
              Actually, I'm not. I'm pointing out other possibilities that are more legitimate than yours. I'm not focussing one one rather unreasonable option.

              It was the producers intent for Carter to have returned to SG-1 while awaiting her next command.
              Where's your proof? Do you have some inside information into the thinking of TPTB to prove this? Or are you merely guessing like pretty much everyone else does? It's really beyond stupid and unreasonable to assume that. And neither one of them was in command in "Continuum". The same thing happened there. She was only wearing the SG1 patch because she earned it. No argument you can come up with will convince me that she was assigned back to SG1 on returning from Atlantis. It is utter nonsense to think she was. There were too many other places she was likely assigned that would have better used her talents, and there was never anything stated in any episode that indicated she was. A patch proves nothing.

              The question isn't whether she rejoined SG-1 or not, as that much is obvious.
              Maybe to you it's obvious. To many others, it isn't, and is foolish to think so.

              The question is whether the George Hammond was a step up or down from Atlantis.
              I would say it's a step sideways. Personally, I think she's more suited to command in a situation like being in charge of "The Hammond" than on Atlantis. In her year there, she didn't do much more than be an administrator with the occasional trip into the field.
              Last edited by hedwig; January 23, 2012, 11:42 AM.

              Comment


                #8
                Commanding a Main Operating Base, to commanding a ship...

                Personally, I see it as a step down. A major one.


                "Five Rounds Rapid"

                sigpic

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                  First off, she's wearing an SG-1 uniform with an SG-1 shoulder patch. General Landry's still in charge of the SGC, Carter was just filling in for him while he was in Washington. She filled in for him once before in SG-1 (10-5) "Uninvited." If she's not on SG-1, she wouldn't be wearing the team patch. Have you ever seen anyone else wear an SG-1 team patch who wasn't part of SG-1? SG-1 can have two Lt. Cols, but not two full-bird Colonels? What about Continuum? Why would Carter need to borrow an SGC-style BDU jacket when she has her own set of uniforms? You're grasping at straws. It was the producers intent for Carter to have returned to SG-1 while awaiting her next command.
                  Jack also had an SG-1 patch in Continuum. Doesn't mean he rejoined the team.

                  Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                  The question isn't whether she rejoined SG-1 or not, as that much is obvious. The question is whether the George Hammond was a step up or down from Atlantis.
                  Yes it is IMO. While yes both the Hammond and Atlantis are basically space ships, Atlantis is a much larger operation and has a completely different weight.
                  sigpic

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                    Jack also had an SG-1 patch in Continuum. Doesn't mean he rejoined the team.
                    I referenced screen captures at GateWorld. There is no capture that clearly shows the should patch. Is it SG-1 or SGC? I can't tell. Unless you can provide a clear image of an SG-1 patch on General O'Neill, I'm going to have to assume it is an SGC patch. Why would he be wearing an SG-1 patch when he hasn't been on the team for three or four years? It's a military unit, not a fan club.

                    Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                    Yes it is IMO. While yes both the Hammond and Atlantis are basically space ships, Atlantis is a much larger operation and has a completely different weight.
                    Yes it is to which... step down, or step up? Personally, I have to agree with Flyboy. Any command other than Atlantis would be a step down. The only transfer that wouldn't be a step down would be command of the SGC or one of the off-world bases.

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                      I referenced screen captures at GateWorld. There is no capture that clearly shows the should patch. Is it SG-1 or SGC? I can't tell. Unless you can provide a clear image of an SG-1 patch on General O'Neill, I'm going to have to assume it is an SGC patch. Why would he be wearing an SG-1 patch when he hasn't been on the team for three or four years? It's a military unit, not a fan club.
                      You wanted proof? Here you go:



                      You're right that there is no clear picture on the GW photo site. However, the above came from the MGM site with screencaps from behind the scenes of "Continuum".

                      Compare to the SG1 patch:



                      They clearly match. There's an "SG" at the top middle of the patch in the image, and a "1" down the center of the patch.

                      The SGC patch would show "SGC" at the top middle and take up way more room than what is shown in the image.



                      The patch on his jacket does not show the flair at the bottom of the patch. The SGC patch is also not completely circular, which Jack's is.
                      Last edited by hedwig; January 23, 2012, 04:45 PM.

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                        I referenced screen captures at GateWorld. There is no capture that clearly shows the should patch. Is it SG-1 or SGC? I can't tell. Unless you can provide a clear image of an SG-1 patch on General O'Neill, I'm going to have to assume it is an SGC patch. Why would he be wearing an SG-1 patch when he hasn't been on the team for three or four years? It's a military unit, not a fan club.
                        In addition to the pic hedwig posted



                        I can't tell you why, only the writers/wardrobe people know that.


                        Originally posted by Snowman37 View Post
                        Yes it is to which... step down, or step up? Personally, I have to agree with Flyboy. Any command other than Atlantis would be a step down. The only transfer that wouldn't be a step down would be command of the SGC or one of the off-world bases.
                        Yes to a step down. I agree with you and Flyboy.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                          In addition to the pic hedwig posted



                          I can't tell you why, only the writers/wardrobe people know that.
                          Thanks. I was looking for one like that, and couldn't find it within the movie itself. I probably blinked at the wrong moment.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            That's one of the promo shots from MGM. So no wonder you couldn't find it in the movie.
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by jasminaGo View Post
                              That's one of the promo shots from MGM. So no wonder you couldn't find it in the movie.
                              Yep. That would explain it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X