S5: Critique and Contemplations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fumblesmcstupid View Post
    Has anyone re-watched Season 5 and changed their minds about how much they thought it sucked?

I have a dvr in my brain so I remember all the crappiness. I wish I could hit the delete button.
    Nope never rewatched it and never intend to rewatch it. In my mind season 5 doesn't exist, it was all just a bad dream. Like Bobby Ewing's from Dallas

Originally posted by thekillman View Post
    never heard of the TV trope "lightning can do anything"?

everything's better with lightning. it's cool, bright, shiny, awesome, and this lightning is so awesome, it defies physics. no wait, it craps on physics and then nukes the crap. and physics

Yes lets kick the crap outta Physics

actually i consider it one of the best episodes on SGA s5.

and before you start shouting and weeping, i'll tell you why.

for the first time in season 5, i felt, "this is new". i like the feeling of "this is new". for one, it stops my brains from picking the most likely outcome and spoiling the entire episode. it felt... different. like the writers last drop of creativity in SGA.

so yes it was a delight as it was fresh and different. like walking through a sandstorm and then falling face-first in a pool of water.
    No shouting and weeping I'll just let Little Lemming bite your ankles

Well Vegas was like, not even remotely Stargate. It was like a bad episode of CSI. It didn't make sense. And there was too much bloody sand You know how sand gets into places you couldn't even imagine

Oh yeah, and not even one of "our" characters were in it.

actually Sheppard only flew the city when it was at low power with half the security systems disabled.

Beckett had a fully-powered city, fully active and fully everything. for him it was easy since the city was doing what it was supposed to be: flying at full power.

but yea, i don't get that they can fully crew 5-6 Bc's (thats over 1000 people) yet require sheppard in an F-302.

Sheppard should've been sitting in the chair. hey wait, darts approach. well how about droning them to death. that would work. then we don't loose the chair.

the biggest plot device of EATG has to be the Beam Weapons.

i distinctly remember Last Man, where 3 shots totally annihilate a hive. but wait, now we suddenly have a ship which shrugs them off like nothing?

what happened to nuking the hive with good old missiles?
    You'd still think he'd have some trouble flying this big city, after all he hasn't done it before. He's only controlled drones and even that was almost a disaster. Oh unless this is yet another thing that happened off screen. A lot of things seem to have happened off screen in SGA

You'd think they'd have someone manning the chair at all times just in case. Geez if this is what was standing between us and annihilation then I would be seriously worried.

EATG was full of holes it wasn't even funny
    sigpic

Comment

fanfiction is the cure to season 5
      Why did you do such a thing, you mediocre dunces?

Comment

fanfiction is the cure to season 5
        I don't see it. A lot of fan fiction is as bad as season 5
        Originally posted by aretood2
        Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
          I don't see it. A lot of fan fiction is as bad as season 5
          Or worse... You just have to find the little jewels.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
            But unfortunately you have to go through the minefield to find them
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
              But unfortunately you have to go through the minefield to find them
              Not necessarily.

Comment

Not necessarily.
                Most of the time it's the summaries that pull me in And most of the time the story turns out great. But on occasion I get caught off guard and the summary is by far the best part of the story. If there is a lot of grammatical errors I usually stop. I don't mind the odd mistake cause everyone makes mistakes but when the story is full of grammar errors I tend to stop reading *shrugs*
                sigpic

Comment

Summeries - pairings (if applicable) - characters (if applicable)

Grammatical errors are indeed a story-killer, hence why they invented beta-readers.

Comment

While that is true it kind of contradicts the idea fanfiction is the cure to S5 if their is much that is worse then what we got in season 5.
                    Originally posted by aretood2
                    Jelgate is right

Comment

Not for me.

I read fix it fics, where they go back to the PG and all is well and certain nasty pairings are no longer paired up.

Comment

Not for me.

I read fix it fics, where they go back to the PG and all is well and certain nasty pairings are no longer paired up.
                        same here
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linda06 View Post
                          Okay the, season 5...

Well they should never have put in that dream sequence in search and rescue with John/Teyla if they had no intention of following through with it

They should have had more team eps in season 5 instead of virtually ignored half of the team in the second half of the season I liked Daedalus variations mostly because all the team got to do something at least.

I think Weir deserved a far better episode than what she got in "ghost in the machine" That wasn't Weir, IMO it should have been Torri, and maybe if TPTB done the character justice then I think Torri would maybe have been persuaded to come back and do it.

The amount of whump that Shep got in season 5 was bordering on the ridiculous

The inconsistent writing for Keller was even more ridiculous that is was bordering on the unbelievable. No wait, it was unbelievable

The Shrine should have been about someone else other than Rodney. I was not at all interested in Tao of Rodney 2.0. I found this episode terrible in every way, from the way he portrayed it to the very out of place McKay/Keller scenes that came from no where. The sudden declaration of love from someone losing his mind when there was no indication of anything before????

As much as I love Carson they should never have brought him back. They done him no favours whatsoever in the eps he was in And Whispers should never have seen the light of day.

And the start of the dreaded love triangle of doom. In The shrine Keller knows how Rodney feels about her (which came out of the blue for everybody) and yet she's still stringing poor Ronon along instead of setting him straight. These guys can't write love stories so why would they even attempt to write a love triangle.

So apparently Teyla has lost the ability to from what we saw in "The Queen". Now it's Keller who can fight off Wraith without much problems. And apparently Teyla has lost the ability to sense Wraith also as seen in "Outsiders".

First contact was okay, The lost tribe was terrible. So everybody is going off to save the galaxy again and what does Teyla do???? Oh yeah, she gets the awesome task of babysitting Atlantis. Of course, they couldn't leave any number of the expedition members or militarypersonnel in charge of Atlantis. Let's leave the woman with the baby to do the babysitting. If they really wanted to they could have had Teyla and Ronon go on the Daedalus with Todd and the others but noooooooo. They had to have Keller there so they could continue with this dreadful love triangle of doom. Oh and now she can apparently shoot a P90 and kill Wraith.

Inquisition was an unbelievably bad episode. Here was a perfect opportunity to use Teyla and Ronon. Two people who are from the PG, who knows what the council have went through cause they've been through it too with having to live with the threat of the Wraith all their lives but nooooooooo. It had to be all about John and Woolsey. Namely Woolsey bribing them. I don't even know why they had the others there in the ep at all. It was pointless.

Oh good god...BRAINSTORM???? I mean seriously, BRAINSTORM???? Freeze lightening??? What the hell were they thinking when they wrote this piece of drivel. And if that wasn't bad enough. McKay/Keller???? They look so awkward together, even when they *gulp* k......k......kissed It was awkward looking from both of them, weird even. And if the ep wasn't bad enough already, we get "The mile high club" at the end

Okay, whose bright idea was it to have Identity hmmmmm.....So for most of the ep we have to watch someone we have never seen before. Who cares about this person. I've never seeen her before so why should I care what happened to her.

And now to the worst episode in the entire franchise. VEGAS!!! The whole ep was AU with AU characters. At least with SG-1 there was someone from our reality in the AU's they done.CSI style ep, and a very badly done CSI style ep. Please for the love of sanity leave CSI to the experts. I hated most of the music, it hurt my head. Why they couldn't have Ronon and Teyla in the ep is beyond me. Here we have the two most experts on the Wraith and they don't bring them? I know some will say they maybe didn't meet them cause it was Shep that met them and then they joined the humans. But if that's the case then they wouldn't have come across Todd cause it was Shep that came across him first when Kolya kidnapped him, it was Shep that inadvertently woke the Wraith up when he led the rescue on the Wraith hive, so the Wraith wouldn't have woken up so therefore they wouldn't have known about the earthilings so therefore they would have no way of knowing about earth. So again, why weren't Teyla and Ronon there? They seemed to find a way to have Keller, Zelenka, even Woolsey there but not the two most experts on the Wraith

And now onto the last ep. So lets send for Shep to come to Earth so he can use the chair. Why not have someone already assigned to Area 51. I mean it's more than a little ridiculous that out of 5 billion people on the planet that they'd only have two people with Ancient DNA who can use the chair. What would they do? Ask the Wraith or anyone else to hold off their attack till John can get to the chair? And then having Carson come back to fly the city. Where before he was petrified to even sit in the damn thing. When did he get so good at flying the city. Even better than Shep. Was it sometime before he was killed? Or after Shep and co found his clone? No it couldn't be that, he was frozen for a few months wasn't he? And he wasn't on Atlantis long enough after that to have much training on flying the city? So again when exactly did he learn this. Oh and can't forget the stupid plot device Can't remember the name

So all in all this last season had so many bad things going for it and had so many inconsistencies and mistakes it was beyond ridiculous

EDIT: Oh and I forgot to add about the very end of EatG. It would have been an ok ending if not for the lovey dovey bit with McKay/Keller standing off to the side away from the others, and Ronon wandering out with Amelia (another sort of romance coming from no where), yet there was no Zelenka or Lorne out on the balcony And Teyla and John looked a little pissed or like they were ready to kill someone (no guesses who that might be
                          I agree with some of this Torri ITA 1000% and I thought Vegas was horrible too did not like the ep at all glad to know I am not alone

Hated the Triangle I liked McKeller but that was the only thing I liked about season 5 ducks from fumble's throwing things at me
                          sigpic
                          My Favorite Scifi/Fantasy T.V. Shows, Movies, Franchises, My Sports Teams & My Fav Sitcom
                          poundpuppy29 AKA Erika = Astrology Nut, Scifi-Fantasy Junkie & Massachusetts Girl

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post
                            I agree with some of this Torri ITA 1000% and I thought Vegas was horrible too did not like the ep at all glad to know I am not alone

Hated the Triangle I liked McKeller but that was the only thing I liked about season 5 ducks from fumble's throwing things at me
                            I'm the complete and total opposite - Vegas is my favorite episode of the entire franchise, and McKeller was, IMO, the worst thing ever to happen to SGA. (I mean that sincerely, I'm not sure I would have watched a season 6 if they continued with that ship, it was so cringeworthy to me)
                            oh well, different strokes for different folks
                            sigpic

Comment

I won't throw anything at you...

I had a huge problem with Keller waaaaay before they paired her up with Rodney. (doctor patient confidential stuff she just blabbed way too much for me.

The doctor/patient thing grosses me out. Anytime they were in a scene it really made me uncomfortable.

I really only enjoyed one episode all the way through and that was the Daedulus Variations.

19 other episodes had Keller ruin it somehow either with the triangle, or rodney/Keller or her just whining all by her self.

Also the writing was just subpar.

Comment

Originally posted by poundpuppy29 View Post

No you are not alone, Vegas seems to be a love it or hate it ep Me? I hated it with a heated passion

As for McKeller, well you probably figured out by now my feelings on Keller and in particular McKay and to have the two people who I despise more than any other characters in the entire universe hook up was nothing short of torture I hated McKeller with a burning passion of a thousand suns

Originally posted by Lythisrose View Post
                                I'm the complete and total opposite - Vegas is my favorite episode of the entire franchise, and McKeller was, IMO, the worst thing ever to happen to SGA. (I mean that sincerely, I'm not sure I would have watched a season 6 if they continued with that ship, it was so cringeworthy to me)
                                oh well, different strokes for different folks
                                Like I said above, I hated it with a heated passion, not least because half the team were missing (two people who have more experiencew with the Wraith than any other person on the expedition) yet they still manage to find a way for Todd to be there which still to this day baffles me Yes I have major issues with this ep Can you tell?

I think this was the ep that really pushed me over the edge in regards to Teyla, the penultimate ep of the season and they couldn't even be bothered to use her or Ronon for that matter, she was missing for half the season. Seeing her missing in the penultimate ep was just too much
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X