X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
    Spoiler:
    Aye...What is this obsession with female writers?! What in Captain Cook's name makes people think that a female writer will care about a female character?! Is it something gender specific? Biological? I'd like to know. That's like the essentialist point of view that "all women are great mothers"---we know this to be not the case. That's like saying, "all women can relate and understand women"---if that was the case Feminism and Womanism would not be the case. Shoot, all women would be singing kumbaya. We definitely know this is not the case. So where does the idea of women writers are better for women or percieved to be better stem from?

I say this only because I don't think that's the case and never thought the failure of the writers in regards to women as because they couldn't write women. Teyla is a complex character that I felt was hit in the face by fans harder than any other character; let me be more specific, fans on this site and a few other Stargate sites I've haunted. Especially when she was compared to Weir. This is undeniable. Her character was not hyper-sexualized, actually the writers made sure to defeat that, she was attractive--but you leave that to John's salivating, ditto for Beckett and McKay. However the fans of the show, or I should say many slapped her down before even really giving her a chance. That's not the failure of the writers.

I take big issue when people claim female writers for something more than male writers. And I'm probably the biggest WOMANIST one could meet. This is the case mainly because I find that the female characters had something going for them to begin with, or they would never have had a fan base. That would say the men writers do know what they're doing. The loudest fan base for Weir on this and many other boards were women, this was the same for Teyla.

Now if people were to clarify they're point by saying. I wish there was a FEMINIST female writer or a WOMANIST Male/Female (Womanism has male members which is more inclusive than feminism--which is underlied by racial, economic and gender tensions) writer, then I'd be prone to agree. Why? One thing is for sure, the women would outshine the men more than one time.

I don't know much about men's fantasies. But Larrin, if she was that, she was a poor excuse. I thought men, might have preferred a woman who could hold her own, not a "damsel in distress" in leather. Maybe I'm comparing Red Sonja to Barbie in black pleather. Larrin is Barbie in Black leather. The thought of her being on the show irks me to no end.

As I have stated previously, I hate everything about the character. I was shocked to learn that she was a leader of her people because she didn't show it. Her interaction with John was disgusting to the exreme because it undermined her leadership. She seemed at times to be uber horny.

Further more I hated the fact she used her sexuality to "thrawt men". What the hell was that?! As leader of a people, who should have some combat skills. She had ZERO. She used sexuality and I couldn't understand the purpose. Plus the acting was smacking me in the face screaming "I'm crap!!". I was like it was so bad, I wasn't shocked that she was on Blade or why it was cancelled, since I was like this actress is not feeling her character at all.

Grace Jones where are you!!! She would have made Larrin wicked, although when you add Grace Jones to a film, you have to give her some martial arts or something. In any event, the actress was killing me and Shep's character looked worse. I felt that JF spent his time giving and trying to extract something from a wall with no primer.

In any event, I think this idea of "woman writer" is nonsense and needs to be a bit more clarified. Majority of the fanfic writers I know are women and a lot of them give Teyla nothing. Even the Teyla fans or writers, the general writers are times seem to be better. Don't get me wrong, there are some who utilize her, but they still pump Shep/McKay as the "creme de la creme" and Teyla is either not in it, or marginalized. Other's who ship her, have her depend on a man and really romanticize the character to oblivion. This is not all mind you, but a good majority. To get a good balance, between story, characters and especially with Teyla as a lead female....if I were to use female fanfic writers for SGA as an example of possible writers for SGA----I don't see a bloody improvement. Which defeats the idea a woman is necessary.

But a promotion of a WOMANIST writer, Womanists can be men as well, then I would think there would be a vast improvement. I don't think though bell hooks or Alice Walker do scifi. Although they should, as a Black woman who loves scifi, Black women have been staples in scifi since Star Trek---thank you Uhura (Nichelle Nichols). So that could be fundamental.

Otherwise I think the men are doing a fine job and I'd refrain from issues of masculinity versus femininity and think the writers just need more so an understanding of their character and revisiting of the character than actually having this "ideal" female writer which has been pimped since the time of Weir.

I say the above because I strongly think that Shep and McKay need work as much as Teyla. So it's not gender specific. The issue is across the board, and I have been saying this since S2. Larrin, in and of herself is the worst and most awful character I have come across, punctuated by what I find to be ridiculously drab and undynamic "acting"---or what was claimed to be acting. I was never sold on the character. Where as Teyla, was sold to me fairly well although just never pushed to her outer reaches. Lucius (played by a good actor) is more in line with Larrin's awful character. Yet, she was worthless to really carry any scene. I had to sit there and wonder the point of Travelers, on many occasions. Because if they wanted to bring in a new enemy/ally, there are better ways of doing that, without using the Larrin character
    very very well-said.
    I want teyla to stay but hopefully they will do a better job with her character this season.

Comment

Originally posted by vaberella View Post
      As a matter of fact, they wouldn't even need to show her release. All they needed to do was bring her back and her explain her release in a few short phrases. Or even better yet, just have had Weir spell it out plainly that the exchange was made. Then everything would have been cleared up and we'd have Sora running around causing mischief.

This was a great character much like all the women guest starring during S1. No woman writer in sight. I have to say the women were balanced very well during that time and were excellent counter parts to the men. Chaya was like the closest to being slightly flakish...but overall she was alright in my book as well. It just makes you wonder where the writers lost it by S2, Mara and Teer were the beginning of the end. Noreena was like a slap in the face to Perna. Two women completely juxtaposed in ability but share the same title. It made no sense.

She actually slipped my mind during my talks of women in S1. Thank Klenotkafor mentioning her. Sora was an interesting character. I wouldn't have even been surprised if she was put in place of Larrin as leader of Traveler's at some point in time. I could see her becoming very dissatisfied with the fight against the wraith by the Genii, hence the reason she was an aid for Kolya. Kolya would not have been able to hold her back, because she would be after two groups.

The Wraith and Atlantis. But if she was taken in by the Traveler's she could have rose in the ranks since she has defense skills, matched to Teyla--we saw this in The Eye. She has some scientific background of Wraith weaponry, established in The Underground. Basically her resume would have worked for that role. Nooooo!! We get Larrin, rather than bringing in a familiar face. Keep in mind this is a new thought that just came about when I see the full potential of Sora.

I think that sort of surprise, which would have to have stayed a surprise would have shocked us at GW and basically any fan of hers or SGA fan for that matter. You bring an oldie who was missing for roughly 2 years, we however would have been aware she was released. We then get a brief background as to why she was missing. Secondly we can see why she may have developed a new attachment to this group of people. Lastly, we wouldn't have some sort of sexual weird tension (since I guess it was supposed to be sexual tension but there was just no appeal between the two actors on screen to actually exude such feelings) between John and Larrin.

Shoot if the writers really wanted too and I'll throw in my Ford kick. I could see Ford being part of the Traveler's crew or he would be a division and Sora as the head of the division that took Shep. That would have been a great story and had us talking for months.

Unfortunately we have a failed attempt at a story that just did nothing for me and further mocked women as a whole in the show.

De nada, and thank you on gender issues. One of my favorite topics. I would talk race on GW but unfortunately it can never be taken seriously and is marginalized to non-sensical discussions. I plan on writing a paper on Racism, Sexism, and Agism in the Race to Presidency for the 2008 Election Primaries. I just have to get around to it.

~sigh~ I really like the idea of Sora in Larrin's role more and more. I really shouldn't have thought of that.
      excellent points woman characters are not written well on Atlantis Teyla has potential though Larrin does not also John and Teyla have chemistry Larrin and John do not. I see any sexual tension as being one-sided on Lairrin's part and no chemistry. IMHO Sheppard and McKay have more chemistry and I am not a slash fan but it is there and I can see why they see it. They need some woman writers to inject some real character into the show unless we like the big boobs no plot high action blow up type thing which I don't.
      sigpic
      Thanks to lil ferrett for the picture

Comment

Originally posted by usernr1337 View Post
        dont U Ppl Think That It Would Be Cool If Teyla Would Leave Sheppards Team And Be Replaced By Larrin... It Would Be Fun To Watch Her Fighting With Sheppard Over Who For Example Will Be Flying Jumper And Stuff Like That :d

Its Just That Teyla Has Become Boring In Last Season And I Dont Kinda See Her Becomeing More Interesting With A Child To Care About. And Im Not Saying That Teyla Should Be Killed. She Could Just Leave Team After For Example Something Happen To Her Child.

I Know That This Wouldnt Happen In S5 Because This Season Is Almost Finished
        no!
        "Embress your life, find what it is that you love, and pursue it with all your soul. For if you do not, when you come to die, you will find that you have not lived."

A character from the novel "Chindi" by Jack McDevitt

Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.
        'Eleanor Roosevelt'
        Individuality is freedom lived.
        'Janis Joplin'

Comment

just to clarify... NO larrin, keep teyla!

Comment

no....HELL NO......No Larrin...no sirree.......Hope we never ever see Larrin ever again!
            sigpic

Comment

this is stargate we cant get rid of teyla there has to be an alien on the team thats name begins with T anything less would be a travesty
              or we could replace her with a new alien i suggest Trevor

key members of parliament, key. The minds behind every military, diplomatic and covert operation in the galaxy and you put them in a room with a psychic.

sigpic

thanks to stef for making this banner

Comment

Larin eh?..............not too bad an idea, but i think i prefer her in the rogish captain role.

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy Tom View Post
                  Larin eh?..............not too bad an idea, but i think i prefer her in the rogish captain role.

More like Hello Teyla and Bye Bye Larrin..
                  Larrin is a total bimbo, trashy, and unattractive while Teyla is classy, beautiful, and intelligent .. Easy choice - get rid of the garbage Larrin !

sigs by Cazz,scifan,elephantgirl, john-and-teyla , Donna , Linda, maffieg, and wraithlord . I'm in AWE of your talent and J/T is the best

Comment

Teyla and classy should never be used in the same sentence.

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                      Teyla and classy should never be used in the same sentence.

I disagree .. I think Teyla comes across as quite classy compared to the majority of the other SGA women .

sigs by Cazz,scifan,elephantgirl, john-and-teyla , Donna , Linda, maffieg, and wraithlord . I'm in AWE of your talent and J/T is the best

Comment

You mean when she's not dressed like a space hobo or hitting people with sticks?

Comment

Originally posted by jenks View Post
                          You mean when she's not dressed like a space hobo or hitting people with sticks?

She looks classy doing it always .. I think Teyla is one of the few SGA women who pulls off the strong kick ass chick yet stays womanly doing it .
                          Larrin was supposed to be strong but came off as a total ***** and too butch for me . Larrin was annoying .

Comment

Working...
                          X