This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,
    SGU is not the topic of this thread nor is Joe Mallozzi unless you are commenting on something he wrote FOR the SGA Season 5 series.

Please make your comments regarding SGU in the appropriate threads and also please remember that the Community Vision Statement is in place. All comments must meet its standards.

Thank You
    TameFarrar
    GateWorld Moderator
    Life is short, Forgive quickly, Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably, And live out loud with no regrets..

Comment

Here's Mallozzi's remark again because it seems to have disappeared:

Originally posted by Madwelshboy View Post
      And, hopefully, allow me to finish a script in a timely manner. Last night, I completed the fourth act of my work-in-progress and got well into the fifth act. Only five more beats to go and I’m done. Now if this was an SG-1 or Atlantis script, I’d probably already be finished but SGU is a different animal. In this series, character focus will prove as important as the prevailing storyline which means more of those quieter, reflective moments fans seem to cherish.
      http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...renounce-thee/
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TameFarrar View Post
        Hello,
        SGU is not the topic of this thread nor is Joe Mallozzi unless you are commenting on something he wrote FOR the SGA Season 5 series.

Please make your comments regarding SGU in the appropriate threads and also please remember that the Community Vision Statement is in place. All comments must meet its standards.

Thank You
        TameFarrar
        GateWorld Moderator
        Mallozzi's remark is more about SGA than SGU, actually.
        sigpic

Comment

So he's finding it harder to write for the brand new show than he did for the old shows. Makes sense: you sort of get a knack for things you've had practice at. I think he said the same sort of thing when Atlantis was new.

Is it anything to do with SGA s5 though?

Madeleine

Comment

Originally posted by Madeleine_W View Post
            So he's finding it harder to write for the brand new show than he did for the old shows. Makes sense: you sort of get a knack for things you've had practice at. I think he said the same sort of thing when Atlantis was new.

Actually I think it is. I got rather annoyed when I read what JM had said, he's taking all this care (i.e. putting in character moments) over SGU when this is exactly what was missing from S5 of Atlantis. This shows that they knew it wasn't there and they knew that the fans wanted it.
            Last edited by CazzBlade; 02 February 2009, 08:08 AM.
            What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

What you call "get a snack for things you've had practice at," I call taking the show for granted, which is basically the reason every complaint thread exists.
              Last edited by Stormtrooper; 02 February 2009, 08:25 AM. Reason: Adding Madeleine_W's quote + fixing some stuff
              sigpic

Comment

I think this thread is for people to complain about the stuff *on the show* that they disliked, not to accuse the writers of not taking sufficient care at their work.

Madeleine

Comment

and you think TPTW aren't a part of a show we hate?
                  Stolen Kosovo
                  sigpic

Comment

I think that your hatred of it can be put down to something other than accusations of professional lack of care from the writers.

I hate hate hate anything that Robin Williams is involved with. Because of my personal taste. I wouldn't imagine that Mr Williams' failure to please me stems from lack of professionalism on his part. Perhaps you could entertain the possibility that your hatred of the show is just a symptom of your taste not matching that of Mr Mazzolli et al? You and they like different things, which is not your fault, nor theirs, just the way fate has fallen.

[mod hat on] It's not on to accuse him - or anyone else - of not caring about his work.

Madeleine

Madeleine

Comment

I think this thread is for people to complain about the stuff *on the show* that they disliked, not to accuse the writers of not taking sufficient care at their work.
                      And I think that the two things you mention are directly depending on each other. When the writers don't take sufficient care at their work, people will have things to complain about.

In my opinion, the worst example of this approach on SGA was Martin Gero: For his episodes, he usually took 3 to 5 rules of real-life physics and put them together almost perfectly. By 'almost', I mean that he ALWAYS forgot about one teeny tiny rule that
                      a) Would turn the combination of the 3 to 5 previously mentioned rules toothless (meaning not dangerous at all) - as was the case with ep. Brain Storm or
                      b) Would turn the combination of the 3 to 5 previously mentioned rules lethal no matter what the characters do - as was the case with eps. The Siege 3, Adrift, Trio and First Contact.

Comment

Originally posted by Pajus View Post
                        When the writers don't take sufficient care at their work, people will have things to complain about.
                        True, no doubt. But you cannot turn that around and say that if people are complaining (which they always will, knowing people ) then the writers haven't taken sufficient care.

Madeleine

Comment

I am not sure why discussing Mr. Mallozzi's writing style and direction are not part of the discussion on what we feel is wrong with SGA.
                          His scripts and his running of the show are responsible, in large part, for what we see on the screen. If we don't like this end product, he is, IMO, a viable target for discussion about why that is.
                          Mr. Mallozzi is the one, actually, who brought this up.
                          If he is willing to come out and publicly say on his blog that he did not put the same type of effort into the SGA scripts as he is doing for SGU, and literally states that he is putting more of what the fans "seem" to want into SGU, what is unfair about commenting about it?
                          I do not question his professionalism at all, but do question that his writing choices had an effect on the show and took it in a direction that I do not appreciate.
                          Is this an OK post? I hope it is not against the vision statement, because I am honestly trying to understand why this is not a valid area of discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by Repli!kat View Post
                            I am not sure why discussing Mr. Mallozzi's writing style and direction are not part of the discussion on what we feel is wrong with SGA.
                            His scripts and his running of the show are responsible, in large part, for what we see on the screen. If we don't like this end product, he is, IMO, a viable target for discussion about why that is.
                            His scripts, writing style, choice of direction etc are all fair game for comment.

Mr. Mallozzi is the one, actually, who brought this up.
                            If he is willing to come out and publicly say on his blog that he did not put the same type of effort into the SGA scripts as he is doing for SGU, and literally states that he is putting more of what the fans "seem" to want into SGU, what is unfair about commenting about it?
                            Where did he say that he didn't put the same type of effort into SGA than he does on SGU? He has said that if it was an SGA or SG-1 script he'd have got it done quicker.

Do you do new stuff as well and quickly as you do long-practiced stuff?

Accusing him of lack of care, or lack of effort, is not on. That would be interpreting someone's words to give an unnecessarily and implausibly unpleasant connotation to them, and not really what we mean by "respect".

I do not question his professionalism at all, but do question that his writing choices had an effect on the show and took it in a direction that I do not appreciate.
                            Jolly good

Madeleine

Comment

Where did he say that he didn't put the same type of effort into SGA than he does on SGU? He has said that if it was an SGA or SG-1 script he'd have got it done quicker.
                              He didn't say he would have done it quicker, he said he would have left it there. Very different IMO.
                              What we do in life echoes in eternity - Gladiator vghUp the Blades!

Comment

Originally posted by CazzBlade View Post
                                He didn't say he would have done it quicker, he said he would have left it there. Very different IMO.
                                Very different indeed. I'm not sure how 'he would have left it there' comes in, but I agree that they're very different

Still: he's said that he's working on an SGU script, and he'd have finished by now if it was an SGA script. It's not really relevant to the thread though.

Madeleine

Comment

Working...
                                X