This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8/10

This was the first ep of the season and in a while where they actually went back and tied up an old storyline and had it made sense with a current one. I think we all knew at some point their involvement with the Hoffans way back when was going to come back and bite them in the ass. So it was nice to see some tie in and seeing Michael is always fun.

There were parts of the ep that could have been left out but overall it was well done. I didn't expect this whole ep to be about Teyla but for it to explain some things; ie the disappearance of her people and who took and them why....those were explained and it also opened up a whole new can of worms.

Can't wait til next week b/c we find out what Michael intends to do with Teyla (at least I hope so ) and how exactly Carson is back and what is going on with him.
    Sigs made by EG & Teylafan
    &=AWESOME &Forever
    No SGA fics yet....but ya never know

Comment

Originally posted by Cynycal View Post
      what the hell is a "Skiffy" is that a reference to the actual preview thing or what? very confused
      That's the reference for SciFi channel. I just blame NBC for all that.

Comment

Mallozzi put up a whole blog entry devoted to missing scenes, etc. from KINDRED part 1 at

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...as-i-thinking/

excerpt:

“Finally! It’s about bloody time. What took you so long?”

Like I said - way back when, before we even sat down to spin this story, I knew how I wanted Part 1 to end. And if SciFi hadn’t spoiled it in their promo, it would have been perfect.

Comment

HOLY ****.

So I knew that this was going to be the beginning of the cumination of Teyla's story.

I knew Kanaan's funeral pyre was a fake-out.

I knew the Hoffan drug will return.

I knew Michael was going to be involved.

I knew Todd was going to be involved.

And above all, I knew that Carson would return.

And yet...I think, while watching this episode, I registered the fastest heartbeat I've ever had. Seriously, by the last few moments, when I knew Carson would appear, I felt like my heart was going to explode like an exploding tumor out of my chest. It was THAT intense. The promise of a whole year, returned just like that...AWESOME.

Ok, so it was pretty clear that I was overspoiled on this episode, and for good reason. I knew a lot of the twists that were coming up, and which should've floored me if I hadn't read all those comments that I was too weak to avoid. What resulted was a small bit of underwhelm-ment, which was MORE than made up by the ending and the epic moments I didn't expect, namely, the plans of Michael.

This episode was obviously very plot-heavy, and thus didn't really make room for too many character moments. Of course, Rachel's portrayl stands out, given that this is her arc. I thought she did beautifully (while being beautiful; aren't I a fabulous wordsmith?). When she first saw Kanaan in her second dream, her transformation from worry to happiness was instantaneous as she laid eyes on her friend and lover. At once, she seemd to be in her "happy place" as it were, in a dream that cannot be touched by evil. Of course, I gotta give up to the set-dec people, as well as Joel and his crew, for setting the mood of that scene as well. The ethereal lighting mixed with the Lord of the Rings-esque music made it a perfect moment.

The rest of Rachel's portrayl was equally gratifying. Her forceful and...scary "Leave!" at the poor village dude before puttng a knife to the funny shopkeeper's throat; her calm, yet determined declaration to Sam that she will do pretty much anything to get clues on her people; her raw anger at Michael; her speechless horror at seeing Kanaan near the end...this was Teyla emotional-whump on the highest level we've seen, and I loved it. Of course, this all continues next week, so I'm pretty certain they're just getting started!

Speaking of that Sam moment...well, I loved that too! I'm not sure, but I think I understood what JM was going for. Sam and Teyla hadn't had much time together, and thus they lacked the relationship Weir and Teyla had, which was that they were both leaders of their people. In this scene, Teyla's determination seems to finally laid down that relationship between Sam and Teyla, making certain that the former understands her to be another leader just like her, instead of just a member of Shep's team. At the end, Sam tells Teyla to call her Sam, cementing that understanding of them being essentially equals. There were definitely layers there.

Similarily, you gotta love the cute little bit at the beginning between McKay and Teyla. Rodney, as always, was being Rodney to the core. Not only does he try to kill the child with boredom (), but he also makes no qualms about trying to get Teyla to tell him her secret ("Oh? What aren't you telling everyone?"). Still, that is basically Rodney being nice, and frankly, it would've been strange seeing him do that, say, a few years ago. But this year...it feels right. Rodney is growing up.

Oh, and props to that shopkeeper in Croya. He was hilarious.

And even if knew that the Hoffan drug will return, I still have to give it up for the writers on referencing something so early on in the series. Continuity. Hmm...tasty.

Todd. Ok, I'll admit it, he was pretty cool in the past episodes...but thanks to this episode, I've officially became a big fan of his. I love how he delivers his lines so...casually. "Oh, don't mind them, they're just cleaning up". YEAH, THEY'RE CLEANING UP ONE OF YOUR WRAITH BUDDIES! Hahaha. This episode was great for him. Once again, he plays the ally, but always with that ulterior motive that gives him milage for the seasons to come, and please, let those seasons be many!

And then, we have Michael. Connor is a master at this, always has been, and this episode really cemented his role as this crazy, demented, but extremely ambitious, intellegent, and thus dangerous adversary. His initial reveal, done with nearly no lighting, was perfect. All you can really see are his yellow eyes amidst the overwhelming blue of everything else. His calmness was itself unnerving, especially as he delivered those powerful lines, "The extermination of the Wraith"; "I have plans for that child", etc. Epic man, epic. I sincerely hope that this plotline goes a long way (well, obviously they have to stop him killing humans, but still, an army of SuperWraith that don't look tacky like bugs? AWESOME).

I can't help but compare Michael and Todd. The former, perfectly innocent (or as innocent as a Wraith can be), but whom we screwed over and over, and now we've driven him to mass murder and madness. The latter, who we've had to depend on, and who's screwed us at least once perhaps, was treated with almost...gratitude at times. These two really show the extremes of what the team's encounters with the Wraith are like, and how they're just like us in so many ways. Because of our actions, Michael hates us, and Todd see us as potential allies. Like us, if we treat them well enough, they'll return in kind. Same with if we treat them badly. Something to think about.

Finally, we have Carson. Let me once again set the scene for you. McKay's chowing down, Carter comes over to deliver the news that one of our people is being held captive, PG15 realizes that we'll be seeing Carson very very soon, and that the rest of the episode no doubt consists of our heroes shooting around that dank, rusted complex before getting to him. PG's heartbeat increases.

Daedalus comes along, team beams down, shooting continues, Michael arrives, ship battle, Michael leaves, everything calms down...PG's heartbeat reaching Mach 1, everyone looks to the door Lorne is suggesting they check out, PG's hands sweating, unable to speak, heart racing like there's no tomorrow, door is opened tortuously slow...CARSON!!!

CAAAAAAAAAAAARSOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!

As I said, my heart was about to leap out of my chest; certainly an intense moment, all because I KNEW Carson was about to show up! And that last scene, with shocked looks on all of Shep, Rodney, and Ronon's faces as Carson utters those lines that I rewatched about 10 times afterwards to savor...WHY DO WE HAVE TO WAIT A BLOODY WEEK FOR MORE OF THIS?!?!?!?!

Phew...all in all, a great episode with one of the most intense endings ever if you knew what was coming up. The Kindred Part 1 begins the cumination of a season that has just been, IMHO, great, and I can't wait to see how this all ends!

Score: 9.5/10 (because of the spoilers!)
          Last edited by PG15; 23 February 2008, 05:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
            HOLY ****.

So I knew that this was going to be the beginning of the cumination of Teyla's story.

And yet...I think, while watching this episode, I registered the fastest heartbeat I've ever had. Seriously, by the last few moments, when I knew Carson would appear, I felt like my heart was going to explode like an exploding tumor out of my chest. It was THAT intense. The promise of a whole year, returned just like that...AWESOME.

Ok, so it was pretty clear that I was overspoiled on this episode, and for good reason. I knew a lot of the twists that were coming up, and which should've floored me if I hadn't read all those comments that I was too weak to avoid. What resulted was a small big of underwhelm-ment, which was MORE than made up by the ending and the epic moments I didn't expect, namely, the plans of Michael.

This episode was obviously very plot-heavy, and thus didn't really make room for too many character moments. Of course, Rachel's portrayl stands out, given that this is her arc. I thought she did beautifully (while being beautiful. Aren't I a fabulous wordsmith?). When she first saw Kanaan in her second dream, her transformation from worry to happiness was instantaneous as she laid eyes on her friend and lover. At once, she seemd to be in her "happy place" as it were, in a dream that cannot be touched by evil. Of course, I gotta give up to the set-dec people, as well as Joel and his crew, for setting the mood of that scene as well. The ethereal lighting mixed with the Lord of the Rings-esque music made it a perfect moment.

The rest of Rachel's portrayl was equally gratifying. Her forceful and...scary "Leave!" at the poor village dude before puttng a knife to the funny shopkeeper's throat; her calm, yet determined declaration to Sam that she will do pretty much everything to get clues on her people; her raw anger at Michael, her speechless horror at seeing Kanaan near the end...this was Teyla emotional-whump on the highest level we've seen, and I loved it. Of course, this all continues next week, so I'm pretty certain they're just getting started!

Speaking of that Sam moment...well, I loved that too! I'm not sure, but I think I understood what JM was going for. Sam and Teyla hadn't had much together, and thus they lacked the relationship Weir and Teyla had, which was that they were both leaders of their people. In this scene, Teyla's determination seems to finally laid down that relationship between Sam and Teyla, making certain that the former understands her to be another leader just like her, instead of just a member of Shep's team. At the end, Sam tells Teyla to call her Sam, cementing that understanding of them being essentially equals. There were definitely layers there.

Similarily, you gotta love the cute little bit at the beginning between McKay and Teyla. Rodney, as always, was being Rodney to the core. Not only does he try to kill the child with boredom (), but he also makes no qualms about trying to get Teyla to tell him her secret ("Oh? What aren't you telling everyone?"). Still, that is basically Rodney being nice, and frankly, it would've been strange seeing him do that, say, a few years ago. But this year...it feels right. Rodney is growing up.

Todd. Ok, I'll admit, it, he was pretty cool in the past episodes...but thanks to this episode, I've officially became a big fan of his. I love how he delivers his lines so...casually. "Oh, don't mind them, they're just cleaning up". YEAH, THEY'RE CLEANING THE WRAITH YOU'VE JUST FED ON! Hahaha. This episode was great for him. Once again, he plays the ally, but always with that ulterior motive that gives him milage for the seasons to come, and please, let those seasons by many!

And then, we have Michael. Connor is a master at this, always has been, and this episode really cemented his role as this crazy, demented, but extremely ambitious, intellegent, and thus dangerous adversary. His initial reveal, done with nearly no lighting, was perfect. All you can really see is his yellow eyes amidst the overwhelming blue of everything else. His calmness was itself unnerving, especially as he delivered those powerful lines, "The extermination of the Wraith"; "I have plans for that child", etc. Epic man, epic. I sincerely hope that this plotline goes a long way (well, obviously they have to stop him killing humans, but still, an army of SuperWraith that don't look tacky like bugs? AWESOME).

I can't help but compare Michael and Todd. The former, perfectly innocent (or as innocent as a Wraith can be), but whom we screwed over and over, and now we've driven him to mass murder and madness. The latter, who we've had to depend on, and who's screwed us at least once perhaps, we are treating with almost...gratitude at times. These two really show the extremes of what the team's encounters with the Wraith are like, and how they're just like us in so many ways. Because of our actions, Michael hates us, and Todd see us as potential allies. Like us, if we treat them well enough, they'll return in kind. Same with if we treat them badly. Something to think about.

Finally, we have Carson. Let me once again set the scene for you. McKay's chowing down, Carter comes over to deliver the news that one our people is being held captive, PG15 realizes that we'll be seeing Carson very very soon, and that the rest of the episode no doubt consists of our heroes shooting around that dank, dangy complex before getting to him. PG's heartbeat increases.

Daedalus comes along, team beams down, shooting continues, Michael arrives, ship battle, Michael leaves, everything calms down...PG's heartbeat reaching Mach 1, everyone looks to the door Lorne is suggesting they check out, hands sweating, unable to speak, heart racing like there's no tomorrow, door is opened tortuously slow...CARSON!!!

As I said, my heart was about leap out of chest; certainly an intense moment, all because I KNEW Carson was about to show up! And that last scene, with shocked looks on all of Shep, Rodney, and Ronon's faces as Carson utters those lines that I rewatched about 10 times afterwards to savor...WHY DO WE HAVE TO WAIT A BLOODY WEEK FOR THIS?!?!?!?!

Phew...all in all, a great episode with one of the most intense endings ever if you knew what was coming up. The Kindred Part 1 begins the cumination of a season that has just been, IMHO, great, and I can't wait to see how this all ends!

Awsome Review!!
            Sigs made by EG & Teylafan
            &=AWESOME &Forever
            No SGA fics yet....but ya never know

Comment

Thanks!

I just remembered another little moment that made me laugh out loud: Lorne going "I don't give a DAMN about trade secrets" when talking to that trader. Just the way he emphasized DAMN made it hilarious.

It was like DAYUM.

Comment

HOLY ****.

...The ethereal lighting mixed with the Lord of the Rings-esque music made it a perfect moment....
                A Peter Woeste trademark...nice to see Peter back directing an SGA episode!

Lovely comments, PG15, thank you for sharing!

Morjana

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

HOLY ****.

Ok, so it was pretty clear that I was overspoiled on this episode, and for good reason. I knew a lot of the twists that were coming up, and which should've floored me if I hadn't read all those comments that I was too weak to avoid. What resulted was a small bit of underwhelm-ment, which was MORE than made up by the ending and the epic moments I didn't expect, namely, the plans of Michael.

This episode was obviously very plot-heavy, and thus didn't really make room for too many character moments. Of course, Rachel's portrayl stands out, given that this is her arc. I thought she did beautifully (while being beautiful; aren't I a fabulous wordsmith?). When she first saw Kanaan in her second dream, her transformation from worry to happiness was instantaneous as she laid eyes on her friend and lover. At once, she seemd to be in her "happy place" as it were, in a dream that cannot be touched by evil. Of course, I gotta give up to the set-dec people, as well as Joel and his crew, for setting the mood of that scene as well. The ethereal lighting mixed with the Lord of the Rings-esque music made it a perfect moment.

The rest of Rachel's portrayl was equally gratifying. Her forceful and...scary "Leave!" at the poor village dude before puttng a knife to the funny shopkeeper's throat; her calm, yet determined declaration to Sam that she will do pretty much anything to get clues on her people; her raw anger at Michael; her speechless horror at seeing Kanaan near the end...this was Teyla emotional-whump on the highest level we've seen, and I loved it. Of course, this all continues next week, so I'm pretty certain they're just getting started!

Speaking of that Sam moment...well, I loved that too! I'm not sure, but I think I understood what JM was going for. Sam and Teyla hadn't had much time together, and thus they lacked the relationship Weir and Teyla had, which was that they were both leaders of their people. In this scene, Teyla's determination seems to finally laid down that relationship between Sam and Teyla, making certain that the former understands her to be another leader just like her, instead of just a member of Shep's team. At the end, Sam tells Teyla to call her Sam, cementing that understanding of them being essentially equals. There were definitely layers there.

And even if knew that the Hoffan drug will return, I still have to give it up for the writers on referencing something so early on in the series. Continuity. Hmm...tasty.

Todd. Ok, I'll admit it, he was pretty cool in the past episodes...but thanks to this episode, I've officially became a big fan of his. I love how he delivers his lines so...casually. "Oh, don't mind them, they're just cleaning up". YEAH, THEY'RE CLEANING UP ONE OF YOUR WRAITH BUDDIES! Hahaha. This episode was great for him. Once again, he plays the ally, but always with that ulterior motive that gives him milage for the seasons to come, and please, let those seasons be many!

And then, we have Michael. Connor is a master at this, always has been, and this episode really cemented his role as this crazy, demented, but extremely ambitious, intellegent, and thus dangerous adversary. His initial reveal, done with nearly no lighting, was perfect. All you can really see are his yellow eyes amidst the overwhelming blue of everything else. His calmness was itself unnerving, especially as he delivered those powerful lines, "The extermination of the Wraith"; "I have plans for that child", etc. Epic man, epic. I sincerely hope that this plotline goes a long way (well, obviously they have to stop him killing humans, but still, an army of SuperWraith that don't look tacky like bugs? AWESOME).

I can't help but compare Michael and Todd. The former, perfectly innocent (or as innocent as a Wraith can be), but whom we screwed over and over, and now we've driven him to mass murder and madness. The latter, who we've had to depend on, and who's screwed us at least once perhaps, was treated with almost...gratitude at times. These two really show the extremes of what the team's encounters with the Wraith are like, and how they're just like us in so many ways. Because of our actions, Michael hates us, and Todd see us as potential allies. Like us, if we treat them well enough, they'll return in kind. Same with if we treat them badly. Something to think about.

Finally, we have Carson. Let me once again set the scene for you. McKay's chowing down, Carter comes over to deliver the news that one of our people is being held captive, PG15 realizes that we'll be seeing Carson very very soon, and that the rest of the episode no doubt consists of our heroes shooting around that dank, rusted complex before getting to him. PG's heartbeat increases.

Daedalus comes along, team beams down, shooting continues, Michael arrives, ship battle, Michael leaves, everything calms down...PG's heartbeat reaching Mach 1, everyone looks to the door Lorne is suggesting they check out, PG's hands sweating, unable to speak, heart racing like there's no tomorrow, door is opened tortuously slow...CARSON!!!

As I said, my heart was about to leap out of my chest; certainly an intense moment, all because I KNEW Carson was about to show up! And that last scene, with shocked looks on all of Shep, Rodney, and Ronon's faces as Carson utters those lines that I rewatched about 10 times afterwards to savor...WHY DO WE HAVE TO WAIT A BLOODY WEEK FOR MORE OF THIS?!?!?!?!

Jelgate wonders why PG15 is talking in third person.
                  Originally posted by aretood2
                  Jelgate is right

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                    hahaha I didn't even notice that
                    sigpic
                    The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
                      hahaha I didn't even notice that
                      I did, looks like PG15 had gone completely WACKO!!!

*too much flocking and togetherness*
                      Last edited by ; 23 February 2008, 06:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                        Mallozzi put up a whole blog entry devoted to missing scenes, etc. from KINDRED part 1 at

http://josephmallozzi.wordpress.com/...as-i-thinking/

excerpt:

“Finally! It’s about bloody time. What took you so long?”

Like I said - way back when, before we even sat down to spin this story, I knew how I wanted Part 1 to end. And if SciFi hadn’t spoiled it in their promo, it would have been perfect.
                        After what SCI FI did with the Carson Spoiler in the end, the ep better pull in at least a 1.3 to at least match Midway's ratings!
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jelgate View Post
                          PG15's 1st Person was busy with his 2nd Person?

:O

SG1/SGA/SGU - Saving Earth/Atlantis/?, one mission at a time!
                          SG1-Spoilergate Richard Dean Anderson Fans Abydos Gate Morjana
                          Morjana's Blog Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by morjana View Post

LOL!
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by FenRiR FoXz View Post
                              I did, looks like PG15 had gone completely WACKO!!!

*too much flocking and togetherness*
                              can you blame him? this ep was awesome! CAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARSOOOOOOOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by Briangate78 View Post
                              After what SCI FI did with the Carson Spoiler in the end, the ep better pull in at least a 1.3 to at least match Midway's ratings!
                              don't worry dude this ep was amazing, I'm sure enough people were watching especially because of the Carson spoiler. I'm pretty confident that it got at least a 1.3

sigpic
                              The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

morjana that is sick and wrong. I have taught you well
                                Originally posted by aretood2
                                Jelgate is right

Comment

Working...
                                X