Where the heck was everybody?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Where the heck was everybody?!

There was only a very small number of people in the mess and the sick bay can only hold so many. As far as we saw, Teyla was the only one to be put in a holding cell.

So where the heck were the rest of the civilians? Was this the week where the majority were off-base for whatever reason? Were they all hiding out throughout the city (despite it being said that there were only a few stragglers)?

Plothole of doom.

Don't question the plot. I'm sure there are far bigger plot holes.

Comment

The military makes up a significant portion of the people on Atlantis, so...

I'd presume all on crack?
      http://www.change.gov

The reason you should vote Republican in 2010.

Comment

Do you think they will pay 100-200-300 people for one scene? JM mentioned in his blog that was the largest group what they could arrange:

"This was also the episode of the zillion walk-ons, all radio personalities from all over the U.S., almost all of them featured in the cafeteria scene where McKay and Carter rally the troops."
        http://josephmallozzi.blogspot.com/2...er-3-2007.html

I won't argue with you, so you can analyze every scene for finding a cool reason to open newer and newer anti threads. Shame to you.
        "I was hoping for another day. Looks like we just got a whole lot more than that. Let's not waste it."

"Never underestimate your audience. They're generally sensitive, intelligent people who respond positively to quality entertainment."

"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today, but the core of science fiction, its essence, has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all."

Comment

There were easily around 60 people in the mess hall, including those lying unconcious in beds and those not including themselves in the conversation with Mckay (there were a few beds blocking our view of the back, but we saw a lot of people sitting on the edges of the closer beds suggesting that there would be more people back there). Then there was easily a dozen soldiers that we know about (note that the ones we saw in the control room were not seen in the group that was hunting person down). It's hard to count the exact number as there were not the same number of soldiers with Lorne everytime we saw his group which suggests that they broke up into smaller groups at times and so there could've been many more than just the ones that appeared.

Anyway, add that to the unknown number of people in the sick bay, people wandering the halls, (they never said only a few were left and the city is huge so we haven't the foggiest idea how many were successfully hiding throughout the whole city) and any who died, (we have no idea how many died out in the halls and were just left there) I don't see the issue. The expedition is only a couple hundred or so people big and that would include those on the Alpha site, anyone who is currently manning a research station, and off-world teams. Which could easily equal another 50 or so people. I think you're just looking for things to complain about. They never hinted at all the visible extras as the whole of the expedition, but to make it seem that way you thought up a line where they said there were only a few stragglers left - I watched the episode again before replying, purposely looking for your non-existent line. The closest thing I saw to that was Sheppard telling Carter that Major Lorne was picking up "some" stragglers as they spoke, not that there were only some wandering the city.

Comment

Originally posted by FallenAngelII View Post
            There was only a very small number of people in the mess and the sick bay can only hold so many. As far as we saw, Teyla was the only one to be put in a holding cell.

So where the heck were the rest of the civilians? Was this the week where the majority were off-base for whatever reason? Were they all hiding out throughout the city (despite it being said that there were only a few stragglers)?

Plothole of doom.
            Nope, budgetary restrictions. Couldn't afford that many extras and the set probably wouldn't have fit "hundreds" of people. So, figure there about 200 people on Atlantis. Maybe they were hiding like Zelenka

Comment

Ppphhhff, They should jsut ask the fans to come. I'm sure many people would do it for free just to get onto the set of Atlantis and meet D.H, A.T and J.S

Joe Mallozzi: "Like my grandmother used to say: Whenever a gate closes, a hyperspace window opens…"

Comment

Originally posted by prion View Post
                Nope, budgetary restrictions. Couldn't afford that many extras and the set probably wouldn't have fit "hundreds" of people. So, figure there about 200 people on Atlantis. Maybe they were hiding like Zelenka
                Oh, I'm pretty sure there's way more people on Atlantis. I mean, the original expedition was 200 people, and I remember hearing that the expedition was greatly increased once they got the ZPM. So I'm guessing 500-800 people?

As for why there weren't that many people in the messhall, then there's 3 explanations.

1) Maybe Lorne and his teams set up more containment areas in other mess halls
                2) Most of the populations were wandering and hiding about the city
                3) Finding a couple hundred of extras and fitting them onto one set isn't that easy
                These are the wrong people... in the wrong place.

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
                  1) Maybe Lorne and his teams set up more containment areas in other mess halls
                  2) Most of the populations were wandering and hiding about the city
                  3) Finding a couple hundred of extras and fitting them onto one set isn't that easy
                  Are there more than one mess hall, though?

Comment

Well considering just bit the city is, I can't really see them having just one area for food. Even with limited resources, they've still got a fairly big staff and chances are that they use a lot of interconnecting areas to eat.

In this episode, all we saw was a single indoor area, no extra entrances or exists to the outdoor area we've seen them eat. Even when Rod crossed over, although both halls looked the same, It was definitely bigger in McKay and Mrs Miller. Even the door was in a different place.

So I definitely do believe they've got different areas that people could have been locked up in, and the city is so big you can't expect a few soldiers to effectively patrol it all without life signs detectors.

sigpic

Comment

their not gonna waste 30mins off the show showing u were everybody was kept.
                      sigpic

Comment

OK, is it me or is this just going into way too much detail?

Comment

Originally posted by Detox View Post
                          Oh, I'm pretty sure there's way more people on Atlantis. I mean, the original expedition was 200 people, and I remember hearing that the expedition was greatly increased once they got the ZPM. So I'm guessing 500-800 people?
                          No, the original expedition was less than a hundred. Here's a quote from Sanctuary:

CHAYA: How many of you are there?

SHEPPARD: Counting all the Athosians on the mainland...might get a couple of hundred, which leaves a very large empty city...Right now we're living in one section because we don't have the power to spread out more than that. *looks at her* What do you think so far?

So we know that they barely had around 200 people in and around Atlantis when including the Athosians. If you want get more specific you can take the time you can count how many people were crowded into the gateroom in Rising.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaeden View Post
                            No, the original expedition was less than a hundred. Here's a quote from Sanctuary:

CHAYA: How many of you are there?

SHEPPARD: Counting all the Athosians on the mainland...might get a couple of hundred, which leaves a very large empty city...Right now we're living in one section because we don't have the power to spread out more than that. *looks at her* What do you think so far?

So we know that they barely had around 200 people in and around Atlantis when including the Athosians. If you want get more specific you can take the time you can count how many people were crowded into the gateroom in Rising.
                            "A couple of hundred" indicates 300 or more people, at the very least. Otherwise, you just say "roughly 200". "A couple" usually indicates more than two.

Comment

And you really think it's a major plot hole because you don't see all 300 or so people

Seems a bit picky to me
                              sigpic

my fanfic

Comment

Working...
                              X