Cartoon background?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cartoon background?

That scene where Sam and Rodney run outside Atlantis onto one of the many balconies. This scene is the most painted non realistic background I have seen since the early SG1 days. Budget cutbacks anyone?

looked alright to me. was olny on screen for 4 seconds why waste $1000 on 4 seconds of tv?
    sigpic

Comment

That scene was beautiful and really conveyed a sense of the scale of Atlantis. I could almost feel the breeze coming in when the door opened and the smell of the ocean. It's basically the type of thing I'd imagine when reading from a good book about a lost oceanic city: the total immersion as I read the words and close my eyes to feel what it's like to be there.

Comment

It looked really good. You trippin' bro.

Comment

I can barely remember the scene so I could be way off but I swear I remember the lights being on all through the city. I've never paid antention to it before but shouldn't the lights be off throughout most of the city?
          || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

Originally posted by Boz4646 View Post
            That scene where Sam and Rodney run outside Atlantis onto one of the many balconies. This scene is the most painted non realistic background I have seen since the early SG1 days. Budget cutbacks anyone?
            I think you're right. AFAIC Tabula Rasa was a filler due to budget cuts...

Comment

Originally posted by Boz4646 View Post
              Nope, I disagree. It was just the way it was meant to look, with lights bleedng in everywhere. I thought it looked great personally. But, each to his/her own.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Linzi View Post
                Nope, I disagree. It was just the way it was meant to look, with lights bleedng in everywhere. I thought it looked great personally. But, each to his/her own.
                i agree it was a wkd background and they did a really fine job
                sigpic
                [[[[[Dr Keller]][[For Ever]]]]]

Comment

The backround was nice, what are you talking about??

Comment

I thought it looked great too: I liked that the lights were all on (because they always are: I'm hand-waving that they're using some kind of solar or wind power) cos it made the whole no-one remembers anything very realistic: they can't remember how to switch the damn things off!

Comment

I think you guys are missing one huge factor that played into the slight "cartoonyness" of that scene. If you recall, all the scenes shot in the Present tense had an effect overlay that somewhat blurred and colorized the camera. When bright lights come into play, they are not as sharp as you would normally see them.

They probably created CG models of the city VERY early on (Like in season One) since it is the centerpiece of the series, so the only time they would have to create a new scene of the city is for episodes like Adrift where
                      Spoiler:
                      parts of the city were half-destroyed
                      and they needed a specific scene for that episode.

Comment

Seemed fine to me. Maybe someone should post a screenshot so we can see what the problem is.
                        Joseph Mallozzi -"In the meantime, I'm into season 5 of OZ (where the show takes an unfortunate hairpin turn into "the not so wonderful world of fantasy")"

^^^ Kinda sounds like seasons 9 and 10 of SG-1 to me. Thor, ya got Aspirin?

AGateFan has officially Gone Fishin (with Jack, Sam, Daniel, Teal'c) and is hoping Atlantis does not take that same hairpin turn.

Comment

I thought it was really cool to see part of the city again (with lights on). can't find anything wrong with that, I think it looks pretty nice
                          sigpic
                          The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

Originally posted by AGateFan View Post
                            Seemed fine to me. Maybe someone should post a screenshot so we can see what the problem is.
                            Spoiler:

I hope this screenshot helps!
                            sigpic

Comment

I really liked the set-up to that scene:

Carter: "I mean, how big could this place be?"

*doors woosh open. Entire city of Atlantis is laid bare. Stunned silence follows.*

What really sold the scene was the gust of air whipping Carter's hair around (still don't like her with long hair much). Without that it wouldn't have worked as well.
                              sigpic
                              http://www.nerdtests.com/ft_space.php

Comment

Working...
                              X