This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xicer View Post
    I think Rosehawk was talking about the red stripes on the shoulders, or whatever they were. It sorta looked like one of the new Atlantis uniforms with red indicating command. I dunno if it was intentional or not though...
    Yeah I just saw a picture of the shoulders that I didn't notice when I watched the episode. I guess I can see what they're talking about but it still don't look the same to me.
    || Star Stream || Destiny Song || The Four Suns (My Band) || The Art of War <<== listen please!

Comment

I found this episode to be entertaining but not the most exciting.

The space battle was the best!! It is only second to Reckoning.

The reason I say it was just entertaining was because they were battleing Aurora class ships, designed by the most advanced race so far and all they did do us was make us mad, they did'nt dent the shields they did not destroy the Apllo (which I think will be the next one destroyed).

And during the fight scenes there was no emotion in thier voices. Oh look there are thrity ships, fire the weapons.

Thats just my opinion but like I said it was entertaining.

Comment

Originally posted by Integrabyte View Post
        In a nutshell, predictable is the keyword, but here goes...
        Really? Alot of it surprised me but anyway..

Cons:

1. This should have been a two parter a lot of potential but too many things were approached so they created something like that BLOB.
        It was a two parter remember? J/KTBH I said the same about the Blob though thankfully it was better than that awful movie.
        2. McKay is better than that. The approach in Miller's crossing was great when he was out of ideas but here, they turned him in Dr. Lee.
        I don't follow. Dr Lee is a bumbling idiot Mckay didn't act like that at all. In fact he was great in this.
        3. Carter or a lamp post the same thing. Weir was more mature and seasoned, and this comes from a guy who fancies Carter in SGA.
        I don't agree. Carter is far more seasoned than Weir and was great in this one.
        4. The whole Teyla thing was badly handled . They approached it like she was complaining of a headache.
        We can't have seen the same episode because that is not the impression I got at all.
        [QUOE]5. Asurans were stripped of their character. They can replicate Atlantis and weapons that can pose real threat to Atlantis, First Strike, but they cannot man the most powerful vessels ever built? So we thought . I feel exactly the same way I felt when they used the wrong model for the O'Neill ship in Camelot.[/QUOTE]
        I'm not sure I follow. I obviously didn't see the ep the same way you did.
        6. The bad approach for Larrin has been continued here. The only link to Sheppard was that ship, a ship that did not do much. Can Radek fire more drones than Sheppard?
        Again I fail to see what you are saying. Larrin was way more fleshed out as a character in this one. I'm actually liking her.
        7. Ellis was right in everything he said but because he is the outsider they made him so we pity him for picking on McKay.
        He was out of line. It doesnt matter if he was right or not.
        8. Radek? From a scientist helping to devise solutions to save the city and the Galaxy he is fixing generators.
        Uh well Atlantis was short on people at the moment and h is qualified to work on those. I don't see that as hurting the character.
        9. The Repli-Weir cliché. Bad guys or not so bad guys live to fight another day.
        10. Stab at Weir when Sam said they never needed two ships.
        I disagree.

I'm sorry that you arent enjoying this season like I am but I do enjoy debating you.
        Proud Sam/Jack and Daniel/Vala and John/Teyla Shipper!
        "We're Americans! Shoot the guys following us!"
        Don S. Davis 1942-2008 R.I.P. My Friend.

Comment

Originally posted by Mekarri View Post
          I just don't see why he should be upset with her. She is a adult and she has a right to her privacy. She would have told him eventually. But at 3 months, she is not there yet and that is her right. He is not the father and what he feels she should or should not be doing while pregnant should be his problem, not hers. Her baby is not his concern. And if he was a true friend he would have behaved as Ronon. I have a child and I would be very upset if anyone act as if I owed them an explanation of any kind. If your feelings are hurt, then go do whatever you need to do to get over it. This woman was living her life and she was a leader of her people long before he came along. I'm sure she fought the wraith and encounter plenty dangerous situation before she meant the great john Shepard. So why would she think or behave the way most of the people here think she should? It would be nice if SCIFI could entertain the idea that a strong and smart woman like Teyla would have gave john a dose of reality, remind him that no one is safe and she doesn't need him to rescue her or make the decision as to what is best for for her or her child. But most of all, he need to get over himself. And remind him that he is in the Pegasus galaxy and if it wasn't for her advice they may have been wipe out before they could have even understood the wraith. She and Ronon saved their lives when they all lost their memories. Yet they treat her as if she is a child, that need to have decisions made for her. How he think pregnant women are suppose to behave is his problem not hers and don't make it her problem. His team isn't at risk and the baby isn't his concern. Can anyone grasp that thought? By the way, John never disrespects Ronon even when Ronon being hard to control and I wonder is that. Is it because he is a man?
          I disagree. Teyla is a member of a frontline team that has the most dangerous job in the universe. As her supperior she needed to tell him the moment she knew. She plaed her child and herself in unnecessary danger. He acted propeerly. The way he acted actually shows how much of a friend he is. He cares for her.....alot.

The reason I think Carter didn't disagree with john dismissing Teyla like a child on punishment is because she been in the military too long, it is hard for her to think like a human being or as a woman. All she know is orders and chain of command. Carter is a drone. If the General orders her to do something she know is stupid and or dangerous and doesn't have a chance of working she would still do it. Some people would say she is in the military and you must follow orders. I could never blindly follow anyone orders if my life or the lives or others hang in the balance. What if the General is wrong? Or just corrupted. It could happen, look at our President. But for me, no one could order me to my death and I go alone with it. It is against my nature. The decision for me to die for something that I believe in, is mine and mine alone. I am not a drone.
          I really take offense at this since I was in the service. because she i military she is a drone? I'm sorry but that is very offensive not to mention completly innacurate.

Comment

My opinion on the Teyla pregnancy issue...she was wrong to not tell Sheppard and I completely understand his reaction.

What if you were the commander of a team and had to order people into the line of danger? How would you feel knowing that because of your order, a woman miscarried her baby? I would hate myself--I would feel responsible for the death of the child and angry at the mother for not being responsible.

Anyhow, that's just how I feel. Teyla should have told Sheppard immediately so she wouldn't have put her child in unnecessary danger. She could have restricted duties on base only. Being pregnant doesn't mean you can't do anything. It just means that you have to take precautions and protect yourself to protect your child.

Comment

Originally posted by Rine View Post
              My opinion on the Teyla pregnancy issue...she was wrong to not tell Sheppard and I completely understand his reaction.

What if you were the commander of a team and had to order people into the line of danger? How would you feel knowing that because of your order, a woman miscarried her baby? I would hate myself--I would feel responsible for the death of the child and angry at the mother for not being responsible.

Anyhow, that's just how I feel. Teyla should have told Sheppard immediately so she wouldn't have put her child in unnecessary danger. She could have restricted duties on base only. Being pregnant doesn't mean you can't do anything. It just means that you have to take precautions and protect yourself to protect your child.
              Thank you! I have been trying to get that across to people.

Comment

Originally posted by Shan Bruce Lee View Post
                I don't know what you saw but the clothes she was wearing didn't look anything like the new uniforms to me. It just looked like a leather suit.
                Originally posted by Xicer
                I think Rosehawk was talking about the red stripes on the shoulders, or whatever they were. It sorta looked like one of the new Atlantis uniforms with red indicating command. I dunno if it was intentional or not though...
                What Xicer said! I didn't notice the red stripes on the first airing, did on the second.
                sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

I couldn't agree with you more on this. Great post.
                  sigpic
                  MS - "Boy, wow that's a great question!"
                  "...phu...ah..."
                  "Anyone know what SENTIENT means???"
                  Sunday is my favorite day for two reasons - Football and The Walking Dead

Comment

Did anyone else notice that mental 302? It's at the bottom left of the screen at about 34:50, it does about 10 barrel roles for no apparent reason!

Comment

Originally posted by Mekarri View Post
                      I just don't see why he should be upset with her. She is a adult and she has a right to her privacy. She would have told him eventually. But at 3 months, she is not there yet and that is her right. He is not the father and what he feels she should or should not be doing while pregnant should be his problem, not hers. Her baby is not his concern. And if he was a true friend he would have behaved as Ronon. I have a child and I would be very upset if anyone act as if I owed them an explanation of any kind. If your feelings are hurt, then go do whatever you need to do to get over it. This woman was living her life and she was a leader of her people long before he came along. I'm sure she fought the wraith and encounter plenty dangerous situation before she meant the great john Shepard. So why would she think or behave the way most of the people here think she should? It would be nice if SCIFI could entertain the idea that a strong and smart woman like Teyla would have gave john a dose of reality, remind him that no one is safe and she doesn't need him to rescue her or make the decision as to what is best for for her or her child. But most of all, he need to get over himself. And remind him that he is in the Pegasus galaxy and if it wasn't for her advice they may have been wipe out before they could have even understood the wraith. She and Ronon saved their lives when they all lost their memories. Yet they treat her as if she is a child, that need to have decisions made for her. How he think pregnant women are suppose to behave is his problem not hers and don't make it her problem. His team isn't at risk and the baby isn't his concern. Can anyone grasp that thought? By the way, John never disrespects Ronon even when Ronon being hard to control and I wonder is that. Is it because he is a man?

First off, your "I am woman, hear me roar" logic isn't really helping your case, mainly because whatever gender issues may exist in the service IRL, they've been very much downplayed in the writing of Atlantis, especially within the dynamics of Sheppard's off-world team. The four of them work as a unit, and I can't think of any real attention being paid to Teyla's gender in a derogatory way by Ronon, Sheppard, or McKay, so the assumption that John is being controlling because Teyla is a woman makes no sense with regard to what we know of his character. He's traditionally had many more difficulties with his military higher ups than he's had with Weir, Teyla, or Carter.

I think the bolded section is what I'm having the most trouble with, though. There's an assumption that being a good friend means being supportive no matter what, and that's not always true. Sometimes a good friend is a person who says "Well, that was dumb," The person who doesn't blow smoke up your rear. Friends are honest with each other, and the fact that Sheppard wasn't instantly fawning over Teyla's unborn doesn't make him a bad person or a bad friend. It means he was hurt. And that's okay; everyone's entitled to their emotions. He's hurt that his friend and teammate a) was withholding such life-changing information from him for months and b) allowed him to put her into situations that could cause complications with her pregnancy and comprimised the team. You say you have a child. Would you have gone out and allowed yourself to be shot at while pregnant? What if you discovered that one of your friends was doing the same thing, even though she had the option of continuing her work from a safer locale? You're telling me you wouldn't find such behaviour the least bit reckless?

You said it yourself, Teyla's a big girl. Being her friend doesn't mean that Sheppard has to lie to make Teyla feel better. She'd just find out later and be mad that he didn't tell her in the first place. IMO, honesty is a much better gesture of respect than empty congratulations. If Teyla wanted a better response, then it's like John said, she should have tried kinder when she tried to tell him earlier.
                      They say the geek never gets the girl...what about the girl getting the geek?

Rodney/Teyla...it could happen

spoilers for "200"
                      Spoiler:
                      Gen. Hammond: It has to spin, it's round! Spinning is so much cooler than not spinning. I'm the general, and I want it to spin!

Vala: Are you saying that General O'Neill is...

Cam: My daddy?

Comment

this was a great episode and i watched it with my two friends who never saw any episodes and they enjoyed it just as much.

as far the sheppard/teyla scene i agree with those who think that sheppard was right in taking her off active duty and it came off as harsh because he was reacting to the news. he was shocked, surprise, hurt and concern in that order and his emotions and reactions changed accordingly.

the only thing i don't understand is why would teyla keep Kanan a secret from sheppard and not ronon, Sheppard didn't even know she was dating

Comment

Teyla was wrong not to mention it sooner, though I can understand her desire to find her people and the baby's father would put her emotions in major conflict. Sheppard's reaction was totally appropriate and he had every right to be upset.

I am more suprise that Dr. Keller didn't saying anything. Keller, as a doctor would know that Teyla would be going into potientally dangerous situations and she as a doctor, I would think, had an obligation to at least tell Sam about Teyla's condition regardless of the fact that Teyla asked her not to say anything. Two months is a long time for the two of them to keep Teyla's pregnancy a secret. The confidenciality between doctor and patient should have be set aside the moment Teyla was put into combat situations which could have put herself and/or the team at risk which is a potiental everytime she goes through the gate. The doctor is suppose to be thinking rational even if the patient isn't.
                          sigpic

www.facebook.com/pages/DavidNyklFans/402742713123717

Comment

Originally posted by Rosehawk View Post
                            Teyla was wrong not to mention it sooner, though I can understand her desire to find her people and the baby's father would put her emotions in major conflict. Sheppard's reaction was totally appropriate and he had every right to be upset.

I am more suprise that Dr. Keller didn't saying anything. Keller, as a doctor would know that Teyla would be going into potientally dangerous situations and she as a doctor, I would think, had an obligation to at least tell Sam about Teyla's condition regardless of the fact that Teyla asked her not to say anything. Two months is a long time for the two of them to keep Teyla's pregnancy a secret. The confidenciality between doctor and patient should have be set aside the moment Teyla was put into combat situations which could have put herself and/or the team at risk which is a potiental everytime she goes through the gate. The doctor is suppose to be thinking rational even if the patient isn't.
                            Teyla is a rational as she ever was and Keller could not say anything without breaching doctor paitent privlege. The only reason she could is with Teyla's permition or reasonable cause to assume her life or others were in danger. As of yet there wasn't. Teyla was the one that needed to bring it to Sam or Shep.

Comment

i think Teyla biggest concern right now is her finding her people and especially the father of her baby. she is only three months pregnant and is no more a threat now as she was four months ago.

Comment

OMG.

OMG.

OMG!

OMFG!!

THAT WAS EFFING EPIC.

EPIC.

THAT WAS.

WAS THAT EPIC? YES, IT WAS EPIC. EPIC.

EPIC.

EPIIIIIIIIC.

EPIC.

---

^That was basically what was going through my mind during most of the episode, actually, and I think I blew a fuse some time during that BIG OMG BATTLE at the end. Physically, I was staring at the screen, mouth open, eyes wider than ever (which is pretty hard, since I'm Asian), just...I was being epic-ed to death, and I would've allowed it to kill me. It was that good.

Just to warn you; the more I like an episode, the longer my posts tend to be. Ok, here we go...

Words can't really describe just how *spectacular* this episode was in almost every way. The episode was obviously jammed-pack with plot points and twists and new revelations, but somehow, it didn't feel rushed at all. Actually, it felt like a movie that was perfectly paced. All at once, this episode tackled important character moments (featuring one of the best in the show, IMHO), the arc of the season, some ethical issues even, and of course, concluded with THE greatest battle in Stargate history, bar none. The Battle of Asuras (ohhhh...just typing that out was sweet) was greater than The Battle of the Supergate, The Battle over Antarctica, The Battle for Dakara, COMBINED. Seriously. Let's go through this.

The Battle of Asuras (sweeet) might not have had more ships than some of the others, but the way it was filmed and choreographed was enough to blow The Battle of the Supergate out of the water, which, while also spectacular, was kind of static. The sheer size of the vessels, and thus the resulting chaos and weight of the battle, makes it better than The Battle over Antarctica. Lastly, the amount of footage we saw, the conclusion of it, and the setting itself, over the green world of the Replicator Homeworld, makes it better than the The Battle of Dakara.

The greatest battle in the history of Stargate is, without a doubt, The Battle of Asuras. AWESOME.

Now top it, TPTB.

Moving on...oh hey, did you just blink? Oh no, you shouldn't have done that, because now the Weeping Angels will get...oh, see you blinked again, now you're dead. Good going.

What does that have to do with BAMSR? Well, the Weeping Angles were a major part of the Doctor Who episode "Blink", which also carries the title of "The previous time in SciFi where a plot device blew PG15's mind". Yeah, the whole "Quantum Lock" deal was just sooooo awesomely physics-y, that I was basically uber impressed, and was sucked into that show.

And now, BAMSR takes over that title. The whole "let's crush 'em" solution, while simple as hell, did not come into any part of my brain, at all, before it was revealed. And IMHO it was genius. And then, with the talk of neutron stars and blowing up planets, I was sent into the exosphere (look it up) with utter joy and happiness. I wonder how the writers felt when they came up with it...did they go "hey! Nice idea!" or did they, like me, flail and shout in joy? Probably the latter. Oh, those boys at Bridge, so rowdy.

But seriously, BRILLIANT solution. And so bloody simple! My God, why are you so awesome in my opinion, Stargate Atlantis?!?!

Phew, let's see...there are just so many awesome things in this episode that it'll be impossible for me to include all of it. I guess I'll include a bunch of them in the "character moments" paragraph that this paragraph, and the following few, are. First, we get some good continuity with Ellis and McKay's antagonism. While watching the episode, I just assumed that it was another military vs. scientist schtick that they have going, but now that I think about it, it was basically hinted at in First Strike as well, so haha! Continuity! Following that, we have Ballbreaker!Sam, which was a delight, really. I'll admit, I was scared there for a moment, for Ellis. Amanda Tapping has become very intimidating, and the way she translates that into Carter was just brilliant in this episode. And yet, later on, when she slips into tech!fangirl mode at the sight of those ships, it reminded us that this was the same women who was geeking out over the event horizon of the Stargate more than 10 years ago.

My God, 10 years...ok, moving on.

There were quite a few comedic moments in this episode. I thought the Sheppard/Larrin scenes were hilarious, particularly that one moment when Shep sneaks a peek at her...good. Come on, any heterosexual man or homosexual women would've done it...if they were brave enough...like Shep. He's a man's man, man. Actually, I thought, more than ever, the two have GREAT chemistry. Larrin's sly body language and many, many innuendos are the perfect foil for Shep's...various subtle facial expressions that he uses when dealing with strange going-ons. I can watch those 2 all day, with Larrin saying something that could mean something else, and Shep, say, raises an eyebrow or something. It cracks me up.

The best character scene, without a doubt, however, was when Teyla told Shep and Ronon about her pregnency. The scene suddenly rises above the rest of the episode (but not before making that awesome joke. "Don't look at me!" Oh Ronon) and gets a life of its own. Joe Flanigan was just...ridiculously brilliant in that scene, I guess, is the best way to describe it. It was just so well done. I think it was a hard scene to portray, as well. Joe had to mix into the portrayl the right amount of selfless concern for the child and Teyla, with the selfish jealousy that I read he intended to portray, which I saw as well. It must have been confusing to be blindsided like that. I think his decision, while the right one, was based on his jealously, to be honest, and he rationalised it with his concern.

Now, the best twist in the scene, is how the two men handled the news. Shep was new to all of this. He's a military guy, sure, but he's still not as laid back and mellow (yeah, I know) as Ronon is, after all his years of being hunted by the Wraith and putting up with all that crap. What this scene tells me is that Ronon is a lot more emotionally-numb than Sheppard, and that he knows that (as Sunday showed) there was nothing really there between him and Teyla. Shep, on the other hand, being a...well, guy from Earth who had to put up with much less crap and is a lot more emotionally fragile as a result (relatively speaking), probably thought there was always that possibility between him and Teyla. It was a very deep scene that can be interpreted in sooo many ways.

For me, there was definitely shipping fodder for Sheppard and Teyla, while the Ronon and Teyla interaction was purely friendship-based (but oh-so-sweet nonetheless). I might actually think about this further if I had not known that TPTB already decided that, at least for this season, there will be no real shipping.

Platonic!Ronon/Teyla FTW!!

Ahem, ok, let's move on. What separates this episode from all the other big-action ones is FRAN. I loved her. She offered a bit of innocence and tragedy into this episode and basically brought it up to another level. Her constant smile, her cheery attitude, juxtaposed with the expedition's attitude towards her, her origins, and her fate pretty much makes her one of the best guest stars this show's ever had. A big BRAVO to the actress who portrayed her!

The fact that, at the end, she just said "hello" in that amazingly innocent voice, closed her eyes, smiled one last time, and started destroying the replicators...it was heartbreaking. How she can make me love her so much in so little time...I don't know. It's magic, I guess. Worst of all, we'll probably never see her again.

Her small part of the story basically made it clear to me the one-and-only fault with this episode: it should've been an arc. The material in this episode could've easily filled several episodes, maybe 3 or 4. I have no doubt. We would've had more time to go through the negotiations with the Wraith, maybe even a wonderfully-scored montage of the fleet getting ready for battle. We could've had many more scenes dealing with Shep and Ronon's reactions to Teyla's pregnency, more antagonism between Ellis and Mckay, possibly leading to a climactic scene of some sort between them, and most of all...we could've had more FRAN, and delved much deeper into the ethics of the expeditions actions.

I miss her already. Poor little girl...

But of course, one last thing remains to be touched upon. Just as I suspect, the last appearnce of Weir this season was small, but oh-so-rife with possibilities. Is she a replicant? A full-on replicator? Maybe she's the original Weir, but her nanites have overcome her original personality? Or, perhaps she's our Weir in everyway, and that all the dark lighting is just to throw us off? One way or another, this pretty much says that she will be back (again, as I suspected). There is no other choice here. Weir made it clear, this is just the beginning. Unlike Ford, TPTB doesn't have a viable "escape clause"; Weir is very much alive in some form and in no danger of dying by the end of this episode. She will be back, and I think her return will be grand.

Oh, and Leather!Weir is ridiculously hot, by the way. Just sayin'.

So where does this leave us? One of the greatest episodes of Stargate showcased the destruction of the Replicator Homeworld along with most of its inhabitants; the Wraith are back on our tail as enemies, except 1...maybe; the Travelers are still out there, an ally, perhaps; Teyla's pregnency is out in the open and it just cost her her position on the team; we can now create replicators of our own; our ships have Asgard beam weapons that can PWN so very hard; and Weir is back as the commander of...well, a mysterious group. As a lot of doors close, more have been opened, and creatively, Stargate Atlantis has never been better prepared. One thing is clear: "Be All My Sins Remember'd" is just the beginning of a wild ride towards the end of Season 4, and onward towards the mysterious Season 5.

Score: 10/10

Comment

Working...
                                X