Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lanteans: Out-Wraithing the Wraith

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Originally posted by Sparrow_hawk View Post
    Maybe he'll get the chance to explain it to them next season!
    that would be great, but I think we (wraith fans) put more thought into the wraith than TPTB themselves do. which probably isn't a good thing...

    Comment


      #62
      Originally posted by naamiaiset View Post
      that would be great, but I think we (wraith fans) put more thought into the wraith than TPTB themselves do. which probably isn't a good thing...
      Seems they wanted to create a species that would be extremely terryfing and would not gain any liking from the viewers. In fact, by making Wraith feed on humans they referred to humans' deepest fears. Imagine how great their surprise had to be when fans appeared to be very empathic for Wraith. I think that's the reason we had Wraith point of view shown and any insight into them as late as in season 3 (CG), not earlier. It took time to realize that Wraith are not replaceable.

      Icarium

      Comment


        #63
        Originally posted by Icarium
        Seems they wanted to create a species that would be extremely terryfing and would not gain any liking from the viewers. In fact, by making Wraith feed on humans they referred to humans' deepest fears. Imagine how great their surprise had to be when fans appeared to be very empathic for Wraith. I think that's the reason we had Wraith point of view shown and any insight into them as late as in season 3 (CG), not earlier. It took time to realize that Wraith are not replaceable.

        Icarium
        I agree. Now, to continue to convince them that the Wraith need to stick around. Thing is - I see a VERY BAD HABIT of the SG PTB using the same formula over and over - the Ori have worshippers, so do the Wraith...stuff like that. They really need to develop the Wraith apart from anything they've done in SG1 - broaden their minds a bit and make the Wraith something special, not a repeat of what has already been seen in the other series.

        das
        sigpic

        Comment


          #64
          Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
          They really need to develop the Wraith apart from anything they've done in SG1 - broaden their minds a bit and make the Wraith something special, not a repeat of what has already been seen in the other series.
          What bothers me is that there can't be many Wraith left to make something special of.
          sigpic

          Comment


            #65
            Originally posted by ciannwn
            What bothers me is that there can't be many Wraith left to make something special of.
            Don't talk like that!!!! (but I know - I was thinking the same... )


            das
            sigpic

            Comment


              #66
              Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
              What bothers me is that there can't be many Wraith left to make something special of.
              Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
              Don't talk like that!!!! (but I know - I was thinking the same... )


              das
              Girls, you're acting like there's only 10 Hives left...

              We have no idea yet as to how fast a Hive can be built, we know there's not that many Queens left, less than one per Hive, but we don't know if some are stashed away, so not every Hive of the ones that are in orbit have a Queen. We don't know how many Hives are sitting on a planet, and so on cos I'm gonna repeat myself...

              Don't panic so much.

              I'm sure there's enough yummy Wraithies left, remember that every hive can carry 2,000 (11 km big!) and there's Cruisers out there, too. To fight the war with the Ancients they at least created 100,000 soldiers by cloning, and we don't know how many times you can do that with a ZPM, etc.

              We don't know how fast the normal male Wraith can be reproduced, etc, so who know at what speed they create new Hives and put people on it...

              Chill.

              There should be more Steves out there.

              And how fun would it be if they were somehow cloned once or twice, too?

              In Loving Memory of Wraithlord.

              I wish I got to know you better.

              Comment


                #67
                Originally posted by GoSpikey View Post
                We don't know how fast the normal male Wraith can be reproduced, etc, so who know at what speed they create new Hives and put people on it...
                Wraith are killing each other off over the food shortage. There isn't enough to go round what with one thing and another (Asurans, Hoffian drug killing 30% of populations and making the rest poisonous plus Michael making super bugs then hybrids.) It's unlikely that any hive will be breeding a lot of new personnel.
                sigpic

                Comment


                  #68
                  True, but maybe there are some who entered hybernation so they don't have to worry about it.

                  Comment


                    #69
                    What I'd LOVE to see is for hundreds of thousands of Wraith to be found in an unexplored sector of the galaxy - one where they still hold complete dominence, and have rich feeding grounds due to excellent management and cooperation among Wraith factions. A true 'Kingdom', like the lyrics in my banner suggest. The Lanteans take one look at it, consider invading, then quickly change their minds, never to interfere again.

                    Now THAT would make me exceedingly happy!

                    das
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Originally posted by dasNdanger View Post
                      What I'd LOVE to see is for hundreds of thousands of Wraith to be found in an unexplored sector of the galaxy - one where they still hold complete dominence, and have rich feeding grounds due to excellent management and cooperation among Wraith factions. A true 'Kingdom', like the lyrics in my banner suggest. The Lanteans take one look at it, consider invading, then quickly change their minds, never to interfere again.

                      Now THAT would make me exceedingly happy!

                      das
                      A lovely thought. But I would be even happier if the writers would do something to correct the rotten attitudes of the occupants of Atlantis!
                      Last edited by Sparrow_hawk; April 13, 2008, 04:33 PM. Reason: fix typo
                      Sparrow hawk

                      sigpic

                      Comment


                        #71
                        I haven't completely formed intelligent, coherent thoughts yet, but I wanted to say, this is a fascinating thread. Your assessment of the Lanteans out-wraithing the Wraith is great. It's given me a lot to think about. Thank you for sharing these thoughts.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                          #72
                          "1. We learn for Wraith, hunger burns inside. This isn’t something they can control, but part of their nature. They must feed in order to live."

                          The Wraith are not evil.

                          They hunt to feed, if they don't they will die.


                          Let's look at human society, very recent examples:

                          Canadian seal slaughter, barbaric, cruel, inhumane. Same goes for the Japanese whale slaughter. First world countries, civilized? I think NOT!

                          Then SPORT HUNTING! Barbaric and primitive.


                          Lets not forget humans do not require meat to live and the Wraith do.

                          Comment


                            #73
                            Of course, the Wraith hunt for sport, too (runners)...but, that is part of their survival. Like a cat will play with a mouse before eating it - it's all about instinct. A cat enjoys pouncing on the mouse, and chasing it - it's exciting and - perhaps - stimulates their appetite. So, it would make sense that the hunt - a REALLY good hunt - makes the meal taste all the more delicious to the Wraith. In human terms, that's just sick - but in Wraith terms, it's their nature. If it's all they know - if it is how they are raised and how they survive, then it's not evil, but nature.

                            The humans, on the other hand...ugh. They invaded the PG, and upset the balance of 'nature'. Then they declared the Wraith evil, and began exterminating them, without thinking of the consequences.

                            It will be interesting to see what civilizations start to emerge now that the Wraith are weaker - will we see even more evil sorts rise up now that the Wraith are not able to keep nasty ol' humans in check?

                            Will be an interesting season, me thinks...


                            das
                            sigpic

                            Comment


                              #74
                              So why didn't Sheppard learn anything from his encounter with Todd if it had affected the wratith so much to trust him and admire him. Sheppard is just asking like a typical human ass.....

                              BTW we've just had the first episode with the lanteans arriving and kicking out the Atlantis people.

                              It seems the lanteans created the wraith so really it's their mess.
                              Go home aliens, go home!!!!

                              Comment


                                #75
                                Originally posted by ciannwn View Post
                                What bothers me is that there can't be many Wraith left to make something special of.
                                Thats the point i really do not understand. And i think that is also why the Wraith are seen a bit different from some of the fans out there.
                                They drew a picture of the wraith :
                                -they are half insect
                                -they have queens and hives like some insect species
                                -they overwhelmed the advanced Ancients with their numbers (and we are talking about hundreds of colonies across PG here)

                                Now what do we actually see:
                                -can not recall the actual number..but there were 60(?) hives out there? Some of them even without a queen onboard
                                -we never see a wraith-city or wraith-buildings (aside from the science labs)
                                -a Hiveship is big...but not really huge. So how many Wraith would be onboard?

                                Point is they tried to establish the wraith as fast-reproducing,insect like creatures. If their numbers are so vast then they wouldn´t really feel the loss of 1 or 2 ships or even a queen. There would be cities and planets full of Wraith out there replacing them. What they have shown us looks more like a handful of wraith limited to live aboard a ship,sometimes establishing a science outpost. So the Wraith look more like an endangered species than a beehive.
                                sigpic
                                Thanks for the Sig go to the talented Fainne
                                Spoiler:
                                Which Supernatural character are you? (I hate those things..but sadly it fits )
                                You're John! You are skilled and smart, but world-weary and a little jaded. You're a serial monogamist, and you love hard. You can sometimes be a little too narrow-minded, and stubborn to a fault, but your heart is always in the right place.

                                The GateWorld Cantina - Kara : Runner gone Wraith gone Wraith Queen gone human barmaid

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X