Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mallozzi and Mullie as show runners. What do we think now?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TheGreatLordGeorge View Post
    I personally liked the firection taken in 4&5, it was needed to stop atlantis from becoming a copy of sg1. I love M&M
    But you see, some of us felt strongly that SGA was a great show following its own path and the changes instituted beginning in late season 3 were designed to make the show more like SG1, not less.

Originally posted by Jumper_One View Post
    which is kinda stupid because they didn't kill Weir to bring in Sam, that was an independent decision
    You mean like it was an independent decision to discontinue SGA as a weekly series? And greenlighting SGU had nothing to do with it?

Sometimes conicidences are just that and sometimes . . . you just have to wonder. And as someone else already posted, since all we have is the official party line, I guess what we choose to believe depends on perspective.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Ncc-72452 View Post
      con·tro·ver·sial
      –adjective
      1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of controversy; polemical: a controversial book.
      2. subject to controversy; debatable: a controversial decision.
      3. given to controversy; disputatious.

There is debate. There is controversy.

=> controversial character.
      so basically every time TBTB make a decision which causes a debate, it's controversial right? then I guess every decision they ever made is controversial because there are always pro's and anti's

Originally posted by Ncc-72452 View Post
      Not most characters. Ronan, Keller, Carter, and Woolsey. Ronan, as I recall, had less debate about his coming over, so was less controversial. But there has been a great deal of debate about Keller, Woolsey, and even Carter. I'm sorry to break it to you, but yes, Keller, by definition, is controversial.
      yup I remember people hated the idea of Woolsey as base administrator. what about now? a lot of fans seem to really like the character...

Originally posted by Reiko View Post
      » I'm sorry, but that's not what I'm seeing. According to my sources (mcbarr, whose source is GateWorld) the numbers are much lower than S1-S3.
      I never mentioned s1-3, all I said was that s4 was a strong season and the ratings improved. see for yourself
      Spoiler:

also I'm guessing you're talking about the live +sd numbers. 25% of the viewers are using DVR which is the reason for live +7's importance

» Erm, wrong. They all did it. Face it, even when Brad and Rob were in charge M&M were still very influential; them and Gero.They all did it.
      prove it BW and RCC were showrunners during s1-3, M&M weren't. that's a fact.

They're all evil.
      riiight

» Trust me, it was.
      it was as controversial as a lot of other decisions ie characters, story arcs etc

Originally posted by Pegasus_SGA View Post
      There are lots of anti's and pro's about everything, not just one character. Did she divide the fanbase? She might, she might not have, but that's for another thread.
      exactly!

Originally posted by nowvoyager908 View Post
      You mean like it was an independent decision to discontinue SGA as a weekly series? And greenlighting SGU had nothing to do with it?
      those are different kind of decisions, they have nothing to do with each other

Sometimes conicidences are just that and sometimes . . . you just have to wonder. And as someone else already posted, since all we have is the official party line, I guess what we choose to believe depends on perspective.
      TBTB said they wanted to reduce Weir's involvement in s4 before it was even considered to bring in Sam. personally I believe them but that's just me. go ahead and think of it as a big conspiracy
      Last edited by Jumper_One; 30 August 2008, 11:28 AM.
      sigpic
      The Sam Carter/Amanda Tapping Thunk thread The Sam/RepliCarter Ship Thread

Comment

» ITA.

» I'm sorry, but that's not what I'm seeing. According to my sources (mcbarr, whose source is GateWorld) the numbers are much lower than S1-S3.

Mcbarr's info is incorrect.
        sigpic

Comment

also I'm guessing you're talking about the live +sd numbers. 25% of the viewers are using DVR which is the reason for live +7's importance
          You know the first seasons didn't need Live +7 days to get great ratings... Why do people DVR a show in the first place? A 2.0 is still better than a 1.7.

Because there's another show better on at the same hour and they don't want to miss that so they tape the lesser of the two. Or because they're going out with friends instead of staying home to watch their favorite show. Because they have to work (how many people work on a friday-evening anyway?)
          Because watching later with no interruptions is more fun... It would be for me anyway. Skipping commercials and all that... (if I had a DVR that is, but I don't and I don't watch TV anyway).

M&M most certainly ruined my favorite show, and they also ruined my favorite characters - all three of them.
          Heightmeyer's Lemming -- still the coolest Lemming of the forum

Proper Stargate Rewatch -- season 10 of SG-1

Comment

» Well, like I said several times before ... ratings are creative math.

Comment

Originally posted by Falcon Horus View Post
              You know the first seasons didn't need Live +7 days to get great ratings... Why do people DVR a show in the first place? A 2.0 is still better than a 1.7.

Because there's another show better on at the same hour and they don't want to miss that so they tape the lesser of the two. Or because they're going out with friends instead of staying home to watch their favorite show. Because they have to work (how many people work on a friday-evening anyway?)
              Because watching later with no interruptions is more fun... It would be for me anyway. Skipping commercials and all that... (if I had a DVR that is, but I don't and I don't watch TV anyway).

M&M most certainly ruined my favorite show, and they also ruined my favorite characters - all three of them.
              I DVR and watch the show at the same time. I DVR because I like to watch it a few times, not because i'm not going to be there or am watching another show. But I don't know if in the US if you DVR something you can't watch it?

Is it like our Sky+ where you record off the TV?

Comment

I am guessing you're referring to the SG1 anti's. I never set foot in the SG1 threads, and I'm considered a regular of the threads of antiness. So maybe you shouldn't generalize.
                Pfeh, I'm just teasing. Lighten up.

And tomatoes were deemed poisonous before they were understood.

Comment

those are different kind of decisions, they have nothing to do with each other.

TBTB said they wanted to reduce Weir's involvement in s4 before it was even considered to bring in Sam. personally I believe them but that's just me. go ahead and think of it as a big conspiracy
                  The bottom line is that in both cases TPTB have issued statements that some segment of fandom does not "buy". And the disbelief is based on actions that seem to contradict the words.

Maybe both statements are the absolute, unvarnished truth. Or just maybe both are attempts calculated to minimize collateral damage. As I wrote before, whether you choose to believe or not is based on perspective.

My personal belief is that Weir was dumped to make room for someone from SG1, and whether that someone was Carter or Woolsey, the reasoning behind the move would have been tailored to fit the choice. In the end, it was Carter and so . . . "Atlantis is at war and needs a military commander" became the tagline.

If questioning motives makes me a conspiracy theorist, than so be it.
                  sigpic

Comment

You know the first seasons didn't need Live +7 days to get great ratings...
                    live +7 didn't exist back then and most people didn't have access to this kind of technology. what's the big deal, folks DVR Atlantis. so? IIRC ER, Lost etc lost more than 20% of their live viewers. using this new technology doesn't make those viewers less valuable

Why do people DVR a show in the first place?
                    why not? maybe because it's friday and you want to go out and have fun but unfortunately your favourite show airs at 10 pm. why shouldn't you sue DVR?

A 2.0 is still better than a 1.7.
                    um.. yes that's correct. what's your point?

Because watching later with no interruptions is more fun
                    ... It would be for me anyway. Skipping commercials and all that... (if I had a DVR that is, but I don't and I don't watch TV anyway).
                    exactly. so what's the big deal?

no that's called spinning. I posted facts
                    sigpic

Comment

They didn't need Live + 7 because there was very little DVR playback the next several days back when SGA first started in 2004. Not too many houses owned a Tivo/DVR unit. Now around 23% of the households in the U.S. have DVR, which is nearly 3 times the amount when Season 3 aired.
                      Last edited by Briangate78; 30 August 2008, 12:05 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

The bottom line is that in both cases TPTB have issued statements that some segment of fandom does not "buy". And the disbelief is based on actions that seem to contradict the words.
                        What actions?

I'm just asking, I'm not having a go at you or anything. (Yet... )

Comment

there's always gonna be some people that don't believe them

Maybe both statements are the absolute, unvarnished truth. Or just maybe both are attempts calculated to minimize collateral damage. As I wrote before, whether you choose to believe or not is based on perspective.
                          yup

My personal belief is that Weir was dumped to make room for someone from SG1, and whether that someone was Carter or Woolsey, the reasoning behind the move would have been tailored to fit the choice. In the end, it was Carter and so . . . "Atlantis is at war and needs a military commander" became the tagline.

If questioning motives makes me a conspiracy theorist, than so be it.
                          I disagree with that but like you said, everybody has their own opinion
                          sigpic

Comment

I don't like math, hence why I chose linguistics in highschool.

I DVR and watch the show at the same time. I DVR because I like to watch it a few times, not because i'm not going to be there or am watching another show.
                            Look, an option I forgot. Thanks.

Is it like our Sky+ where you record off the TV?
                            No idea what Sky+ is, but my sister has a Digibox which allows her to record programs and then watch them later. She's been recording all of Dr. Who & Torchwood as far as I know, and BSG season 4.0. But at home we don't any of that fancy stuff, just a TV and a DVD-player. And we use neither. I download and my mom just never watches.

Originally posted by PG15 View Post
                            Pfeh, I'm just teasing. Lighten up.
                            My fuse better not, cause that wouldn't be a pretty sight. Sorry.

live +7 didn't exist back then and most people didn't have access to this kind of technology. what's the big deal, folks DVR Atlantis. so? IIRC ER, Lost etc lost more than 20% of their live viewers. using this new technology doesn't make those viewers less valuable
                            Then why say the ratings have gone up if you can't compare the numbers? You can only compare season 5 to 4 then, in which case... yes, I believe the numbers have gone up.

why not? maybe because it's friday and you want to go out and have fun but unfortunately your favourite show airs at 10 pm.
                            I said that.

Comment

Then why say the ratings have gone up if you can't compare the numbers? You can only compare season 5 to 4 then, in which case... yes, I believe the numbers have gone up.
                              I wasn't talking about s1-3. all I said was that the numbers improved during s4. btw while we can't compare ratings, it is possible to compare total viewers. thanks to live +7

I said that.
                              yes I noticed
                              sigpic

Comment

I wasn't talking about s1-3. all I said was that the numbers improved during s4. btw while we can't compare ratings, it is possible to compare total viewers. thanks to live +7
                                Did they have Live +7 back in the old days?

Comment

Working...
                                X